and other who are lucky enough to be young enough  to like justin Beiber

NO cheating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfXmo-JeLPI

I saw one of these at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor in the mid/late 60's
The other at Staines Rugby Club and various other venues in the  west LONDON
area.
1/. Which bands and who were the 3 famous guitarists of one of them

2/.  Who used to 'guest appear' with the Tridents at Richmond Community  Center
dressed in a purple suit, shirt and shoes and as a backing singer with Steampacket
and a very tall singer who's initial's are  LJB

3/.   What was the club above a car dealership opposite Hounslow Bus Station where
PJ PROBY split his trousers.

4/.   What was the name of the 'gypsy' who sat at the foot of the bridge to  ??? ??? Island
in TWickenham who greeted everyone with "It's tuppence to get across and it's tuppence
to come back but I won't be here when you come back, so it's four pence now'

5/.   The name of the club on the river in Kingston which was raided by the POLice who
vacuumed up all of the pills dropped on the floor and then left. If my memory serves me
the Small FAces were playing.

6/.  The name of the club in Kew which was a regular for Jimmy James and the ??????? and
Geno Washington and the ??? ??? ???? (BTW: he's still performing)

7/.  The club at Richmond Rugby Club which helped 'spawn'  the Moody Blues

8/.  The Cafe at the top of Richmond Bridge which until it closed had a poster for the Rolling
Stones "Appearing - 1 shilling"

9/.   An easy one, It had mostly dance bands playing pop music

10/.  The pub/restaurant in Twickenham which had phones on each table so you could 'chat up'
a bird on another table
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

My memory has faded, but my feeling is

Number 10. The Birds Nest ?
Number 7.   The Crawdaddy Club. ?
Number 6.   The Barge House ?
Number 4.   EEL PIE Island. ?
Number 1.   Yard Birds. ?
                  Rolling Stones. ?
                  The Cream ?

I shall continue to try and overcome my Old Timers Disease to remember other details.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

1 3 famous Yardbirds guitarists- Jimmy Page,  Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck?
2 Long John Baldry?

Dr Know

5.   The Jazz Cellar .     On a side note i saw the Yardbirds in concert at the Hammersmith Gaumont jan 1965 , it was a beatles xmas show , Elkie brookes and Freddie and the dreamers were on the same bill .

Twig

I should remember more but you know what they say about the 60's...

1. Yardbirds; Clapton, Beck, Page in that order
2. Long John Baldry
3. ?
4. It is Ell Pie Island but the gypsy's name? No idea.
5. ?
6. The Boathouse
7. ?
8. I really know this, it's on the tip of my tongue, honest. Ah yes, L'Auberge.
9. ?
10. Never went there.

Cambridge Pete

What a nice way to start monday morning. If memory serves me well it was 2p to cross the bridge to Eel Pie asked a couple of mates a none remember the 4p bit from either of the (sometimes) two ladies. A couple of pints of Newcastle Amber and (usually) a great band. It was all so long ago but great memories.
1) Yardbirds
2) Long John Baldry (A nice guy as well)
3) Can't remember the name wasn,t it upstairs above some shops
4) Eel Pie
5) was that the pub opposite the old Kinema?
6) The Vagabonds and the RAM JAM BAND
7) Lost in the mists of time
8)  La Berge
9) Don't Know
10) The Birds Nest. I was one of the original DJ's until fired for playing some "subversive" music.

Thanks for the quiz.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on June 05, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
What a nice way to start monday morning. If memory serves me well it was 2p to cross the bridge to Eel Pie asked a couple of mates a none remember the 4p bit from either of the (sometimes) two ladies. A couple of pints of Newcastle Amber and (usually) a great band. It was all so long ago but great memories.
1) Yardbirds
2) Long John Baldry (A nice guy as well)
3) Can't remember the name wasn,t it upstairs above some shops
4) Eel Pie
5) was that the pub opposite the old Kinema?
6) The Vagabonds and the RAM JAM BAND
7) Lost in the mists of time
8)  La Berge
9) Don't Know
10) The Birds Nest. I was one of the original DJ's until fired for playing some "subversive" music.

Thanks for the quiz.

When you worked at the Birds Nest, did you play that Je T'aime song by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbough that was banned by some lefty organisation called the bbc, because I remember it being played there quite often when I was trying to fend off all these female admirerers who, despite me not encouraging any of them,  just wouldn't leave me alone.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on June 05, 2017, 04:32:38 AM
1 3 famous Yardbirds guitarists- Jimmy Page,  Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck?
2 Long John Baldry?

Yes Long John Baldry, didn't he also own a company that sold Thermal underwear.

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

Great quiz - great days.
Most of them have been answered - Annie was the lady on the bridge at Eel Pie Island but "Loretta was not your mother".
I first saw Clapton at the Jazz Cellar playing a big Gibson copy along with Tom McGuinness who also found fame later.

Here's a geekish question - What was unusual about the guitar that Clapton played at Blind Faith's Hyde park free show?

toshes mate

I remember the prefab at Richmond Rugby Club which doubled as so many things.  I remember it being almost demolished musically by the Yardbirds playing Smokestack Lightnin' and people hanging from the beams holding the place together and swinging to a beat that you hoped would never stop.  I heard a CD recording of a Yardbirds performance there which was released a while back but it doesn't do justice to what it really sounded like live.

I also remember the Marquee Club in Wardour Street and being introduced to the sound of Cream one Tuesday night not realising just how big they'd soon become.  I have some vivid recollections of those years but mostly they are very, very hazy, for reasons best not discussed here. 

cmg

No.3 might have been the Attic, but Proby splitting his trousers doesn't really narrow it down as PJ was a bit of a serial trouser splitter.

cmg

Quote from: toshes mate on June 05, 2017, 10:56:00 AM

I also remember the Marquee Club in Wardour Street and being introduced to the sound of Cream one Tuesday night not realising just how big they'd soon become.  I have some vivid recollections of those years but mostly they are very, very hazy, for reasons best not discussed here. 

Cream were certainly the greatest band I ever did see. I saw them play St Mary's College, Strawberry Hill. Amazingly this was quite late on in their short existence. They had come back from the States and were at the height of their fame. I never did understand how they came to be playing such a modest venue at this stage of their life, although I also saw Floyd and Led Zep there, so there must have been some attraction.
Needless to say they were great. At one point special one (G1nger!) stepped down off the low stage and started playing the radiators at the side of the hall.

Cambridge Pete

Hi Wooly Mammoth.
Yes but on a visit by Watneys manangement  I played one of the endings of Sgt.Pepper backwards. Oops. My services were no longer required. I do remember the hoardes of nubile young things on the little tin dance floor. Oh how trendy! For CMG yes do you remember the support band? I did some occasional Roadie work in those days and the support were Writing on the Wall. Great days and good gig for me as my family home was on Waldergrave Road so got my mum to do some laundry. Frightning to think it was all 50 years ago

Woolly Mammoth

Hi Cambridge Pete,
Interesting stuff, 50 years, where did all that time go.That support band you mentioned, did they not change their name to  Humble Pie by any chance.
I think the site on the corner where the Birds Nest was located, is now a branch of a high street Building Society.

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: cmg on June 05, 2017, 11:06:48 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on June 05, 2017, 10:56:00 AM

Cream were certainly the greatest band I ever did see. I saw them play St Mary's College, Strawberry Hill. Amazingly this was quite late on in their short existence. They had come back from the States and were at the height of their fame. I never did understand how they came to be playing such a modest venue at this stage of their life, although I also saw Floyd and Led Zep there, so there must have been some attraction.
Needless to say they were great. At one point special one (G1nger!) stepped down off the low stage and started playing the radiators at the side of the hall.

Wardour Street was a Mecca for many bands with Tin Pan Alley not far away, and there were a good few recording studios in the area.  I had a fling with a Canadian girl and whilst touring Soho with her we bumped into Stevie Winwood in the street and she asked him to sign an autograph for her.  The lucky lass ended up with the inside of a Woodbines packet with most of the signatures of the Spencer Davis group.   Those were the days.   

Cambridge Pete

For Woolly Mammoth.
Writing on the Wall were a Scottish band who I first saw at MiddleEarth. They had one album. Power of the Picts.
Probably the first band to crowd surf.

Holders

Not being a Londoner, I didn't know these venues but used to go the Greyhound at Croydon quite a bit, along with various Unis and Polys.

Saw Arthur Lee and Love at Slough Community Centre (a nissen hut) and more recently Wishbone at a small pub in South Devon. How the mighty are fallen.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Equalizer

What a great thread! I'm a little on the young side to have been there back in the day, but by Odin's Beard I wish I was.

My mother in law loves regaling me with stories of the late 60s and early 70s and when she used to do Marc Bolan's make-up before a gig in a local pub, having been friends with his sister, and meeting Jimi Hendrix at a party up town.

The closest I can come to any of this, and of that generation, was seeing Jimmy Page and Robert Plant accidentally when they were doing a session at the King's Head pub on Fulham High St around 1991, when I was 15. I had no bloody idea who they were, I'd just popped to the bogs after playing pool and drinking John Smith's with my equally underage friends in the main bar, and heard this banshee wailing next door, so I popped in to the live venue and watched two old blokes with long hair on stage. I found out later from the manager who they were.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

alfie

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on June 05, 2017, 11:26:16 AM
Hi Wooly Mammoth.
Yes but on a visit by Watneys manangement  I played one of the endings of Sgt.Pepper backwards. Oops. My services were no longer required. I do remember the hoardes of nubile young things on the little tin dance floor. Oh how trendy! For CMG yes do you remember the support band? I did some occasional Roadie work in those days and the support were Writing on the Wall. Great days and good gig for me as my family home was on Waldergrave Road so got my mum to do some laundry. Frightning to think it was all 50 years ago
I used to do bit of roadie work for Mott the hoople, I managed a band for a while called "the Missing links" and that was the problem they quite often did go missing, there were 2 brothers in the band and the Gallagher brothers  have nothing on those 2, had to break up fights every time they got together, oh what great days.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Lots of people got a lot right, perhaps some of my typing was a bit wobbly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfXmo-JeLPI

I saw one of these at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor in the mid/late 60's
The other at Staines Rugby Club and various other venues in the  west LONDON
area.
1/. Which bands and who were the 3 famous guitarists of one of them     STEVIE WINWOOD (Spencer Davis Group)     YARDBIRDS

2/.  Who used to 'guest appear' with the Tridents at Richmond Community  Center
dressed in a purple suit, shirt and shoes and as a backing singer with Steampacket
and a very tall singer who's initial's are  LJB    ROD STEWART and yes, Long John Baldry

3/.   What was the club above a car dealership opposite Hounslow Bus Station where
PJ PROBY split his trousers.    Yes, The ATTIC and then the RICKY TICK (I think)

4/.   What was the name of the 'gypsy' who sat at the foot of the bridge to  ??? ??? Island
in TWickenham who greeted everyone with "It's tuppence to get across and it's tuppence
to come back but I won't be here when you come back, so it's four pence now'
"ROSE and ANNIE"     Sorry should have read plural.

5/.   The name of the club on the river in Kingston which was raided by the POLice who
vacuumed up all of the pills dropped on the floor and then left. If my memory serves me
the Small FAces were playing.    CELLAR CLUB (in an old Boathouse)
http://www.garagehangover.com/jazz-cellar-kingston-upon-thames/

6/.  The name of the club in Kew which was a regular for Jimmy James and the ??????? and
Geno Washington and the ??? ??? ???? (BTW: he's still performing)      VAGABONDS and RAM JAM BAND
KEW BOATHOUSE

7/.  The club at Richmond Rugby Club which helped 'spawn'  the Moody Blues    CRAWDADDY

8/.  The Cafe at the top of Richmond Bridge which until it closed had a poster for the Rolling
Stones "Appearing - 1 shilling"   L'AUBERGE

9/.   An easy one, It had mostly dance bands playing pop music   HAMMERSMITH PALAIS

10/.  The pub/restaurant in Twickenham which had phones on each table so you could 'chat up'
a bird on another table     BIRDS NEST
Modify message

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES