watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Simple Fact Is This.

Started by Mince n Tatties, June 14, 2017, 05:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

If the club are serious about automatic promotion (And that is going to be even harder this season imo)
We need to be upping the ante player wise.
Some of the regulars from last season will have to become bit players in my opinion, because if you look at the simple facts they weren't good enough to get us promoted last season.
With the sides that have come down and the likes of Derby,Villa,Leeds,Wolves,Wednesday, Norwich and I believe Sheffield Utd this is going to take some doing to get out of.
We have to spend on a couple of players from next level up if we are to have a chance(that is if these players are available, its hard work finding them).
049:gif  049:gif  049:gif

@jolslover

Sheffield United ???
They will be nowhere near promotion. I do however agree that the championship gets tougher everyyear.

I think its wrong that our some of the regulars weren't good enough to get us promoted. If you look at the form tables, once we discovered a settled team (from January onwards) we finished second in the league.

I think we need a top striker and some good competition for Cairney and Johansen and we will be top 4 atleast. (Kalas and Piazon to be made permanent)

I think Slavisa will be striving for prefection and will look to improve upon a few positions but I dont think this is COMPULSORY for us to go up. 
STH H3

Mince n Tatties

The players I'm on about are Aluko,Ayite good players but I think we need a step up from them,along with a top centre back.
You might be wrong about Sheff Utd(signing well) and a top manager who has taken ,Northampton and United up divisions with a lot to spare.My dark Horses,big club with good following.

Deeping_white

An upgrade on Ayite/Aluko will cost millions, which can be spent on positions we actually need to invest in to make further gains. It's quite amusing you pick those two players out in those two positions, places I'd argue we're actually strongest in when you add in Kebano/Piazon/Sess to the depth. Aluko contributed to 20 goals in 45 games (8G/12A - transfermarkt), and Ayite 18 in 31 (9G/9A - Transfermarkt), so why do we necessarily need an upgrade on these two bearing in mind they directly contributed to scoring quite well, AND they've got fantastic work rate and technical skills? If we had a striker banging in half the chances they created, those totals would be miles higher.

We need two good strikers, a backup to the midfield trio, at least one CB (Kalas preferably), and an if there's spare money, an upgrade on Ream who improved but a better CB is easier to source, and maybe a goalkeeper as ours are average but useful nonetheless.

Also I dont fancy Sheff U, a large fanbase doesn't count for anything, Wolves still insist on buying random Portugese players which may or may not work, Leeds might implode minus Wood and Monk as well. We needn't worry about other teams and focus on ourselves. We've just shown over 46 games that we play the best football in the league, and stuffed the champions twice. Focus on ourselves and let the football do the talking, we're so very close to walking this league, and upgrading one or two positions will see us go far.

Mince n Tatties

If you take Fergie as an example,he won trophies with Aberdeen and Manure and he never sat back on his laurels,he got rid of top players and replaced them with others.
This is going to be the strongest Championship yet I believe, and if we are to rely on same side as last season, and teams knowledge of how we play then I quite sure we want be near promotion.
We need to push the boat out on a few good signings if available. Apparently we have tried already with Mounie.

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 05:57:55 PM
If the club are serious about automatic promotion (And that is going to be even harder this season imo)
We need to be upping the ante player wise.
Some of the regulars from last season will have to become bit players in my opinion, because if you look at the simple facts they weren't good enough to get us promoted last season.
With the sides that have come down and the likes of Derby,Villa,Leeds,Wolves,Wednesday, Norwich and I believe Sheffield Utd this is going to take some doing to get out of.
We have to spend on a couple of players from next level up if we are to have a chance(that is if these players are available, its hard work finding them).
049:gif  049:gif  049:gif

This could be said of all clubs.
We were the best side out of the ones that didn't go up, we missed promotion because we didn't start the season how we finished it.

That's because we have a near complete new squad .
They team gelled through out the season and got better.
We played to much tippy tippy football to start with and although we still played good passing football, we started playing more with a purpose as the season went on.
It's a difficult league to get out of anyway,  but I'm sure Slave and the board know we will still need to strengthen which I fully expect they will do .

AlexW132

The fact of the matter is we need quantity as well as quality. We saw last season what having a small squad meant, as we were limited in what we could do with our squad, and by the end of the season they were all worn out. We were also very lucky that we didn't get more injuries. If you look at all the promotion contenders, they have a squad of some really good players, and some average ones as well who they can fall back upon if needs be. We can't exactly do a Newcastle this summer with regards to splashing the cash because we have FFP to worry about, but we do need to invest.

westcliff white

whilst I get your point, I really don't think it id that simple and easy given the restrictions imposed by FFP abnd maybe the new rules (if approved) about squads.

BUt like I say I do get your point
Every day is a Fulham day

Mince n Tatties

FFP? Aren't we allowed to spend money then?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: @jolslover on June 14, 2017, 06:01:50 PM
Sheffield United ???
They will be nowhere near promotion. I do however agree that the championship gets tougher everyyear.

I think its wrong that our some of the regulars weren't good enough to get us promoted. If you look at the form tables, once we discovered a settled team (from January onwards) we finished second in the league.

I think we need a top striker and some good competition for Cairney and Johansen and we will be top 4 atleast. (Kalas and Piazon to be made permanent)

I think Slavisa will be striving for prefection and will look to improve upon a few positions but I dont think this is COMPULSORY for us to go up. 

Funny you saying Sheff Utd will be nowhere near promotion.
Before last season NINE pundits off Racing Post,BBC and Sky tipped Huddersfield to go down to League 1.
Where are they now?
Funny old game Saint.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on June 14, 2017, 07:49:26 PM
I cannot be bothered to sit down and check it but my understanding is we got more points than anyone in the second half of the season. Two years ago Leicester got more points than anyone in the last quarter of the season and they won the league the next year. So I'm not having this argument that are players aren't as good as those other crap Championship also-rand you name.

Recent history tells you at least one (if not 2 or 3) of the clubs coming down will implode and finish bottom half.

Even if I sympathised with the OP (which I don't) it is an opinion, not "fact" by any stretch.

And as others have said it's an irrelevant opinion anyway because FFP this year probably means we'll have to sell players to fund any serious spending.   

Just because Leicester did it?
How many haven't?
This side if we don't strengthen want be near the top.
This is going to be a tough Championship, but that's my opinion..
Have to sell to buy dont talk nonsense, we apparently bidded for Mounie,how much do you think that was a fiver..Other clubs are doing it,too much emphasis put on FFP...

Mince n Tatties

Ayite poached by top club...lol
Who P N End.

westcliff white

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 07:38:39 PM
never said we couldn't but saying it will impact so stops it to a degree

Deeping_white

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 07:58:21 PM
Who P N End.

No offense but I swear you have an agenda against foreign player. Fairly sure Jolslover called you out on it on a transfer thread in January but you seem to be massively biased against non british players. Ayite is class and for some reason you don't rate him, even when I presented stats to you earlier you ignored my post, so what's your issue?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: westcliff white on June 14, 2017, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 07:38:39 PM
never said we couldn't but saying it will impact so stops it to a degree

I know you never meant that,it was tongue in cheek reply.
I know how the rules work in FFP.

westcliff white

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 07:55:46 PM
Quote from: Statto on June 14, 2017, 07:49:26 PM
I cannot be bothered to sit down and check it but my understanding is we got more points than anyone in the second half of the season. Two years ago Leicester got more points than anyone in the last quarter of the season and they won the league the next year. So I'm not having this argument that are players aren't as good as those other crap Championship also-rand you name.

Recent history tells you at least one (if not 2 or 3) of the clubs coming down will implode and finish bottom half.

Even if I sympathised with the OP (which I don't) it is an opinion, not "fact" by any stretch.

And as others have said it's an irrelevant opinion anyway because FFP this year probably means we'll have to sell players to fund any serious spending.   

Just because Leicester did it?
How many haven't?
This side if we don't strengthen want be near the top.
This is going to be a tough Championship, but that's my opinion..
Have to sell to buy dont talk nonsense, we apparently bidded for Mounie,how much do you think that was a fiver..Other clubs are doing it,too much emphasis put on FFP...
FFP is a reality, whilst maybe to much emphasise is put on it, it is still a fact.

we have less parachute this year and we don't have a massive turnover, so we have to be careful. Although my view is if QPR are not punished or its still in flux then every club should be allowed to do whatever till that issue is resolved

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 14, 2017, 08:08:18 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 14, 2017, 07:58:21 PM
Who P N End.

No offense but I swear you have an agenda against foreign player. Fairly sure Jolslover called you out on it on a transfer thread in January but you seem to be massively biased against non british players. Ayite is class and for some reason you don't rate him, even when I presented stats to you earlier you ignored my post, so what's your issue?

I've nothing against foreign players at all,I would have loved Mounie to come here.
My banter with Jols is every time were mentioned to be interested in a foreign player he comes out and says OH he is fantastic I've seen him play,Its quite funny really...You want to ask Jols why he doesnt like British players..
And I never said Ayite was crap just that we need to up ante in certain positions...
I ain't got a problem so keep your knickers on lol

Mince n Tatties

PS...My fav player is Johansen, he is foreign isn't he..

@jolslover

How much would you have to pay to get improvements on Ayite and Aluko. A lot. Not something we can do with fair play regulations. Our big transfers this window need to be a top striker and getting Kalas signed.
STH H3

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: @jolslover on June 14, 2017, 08:23:39 PM
How much would you have to pay to get improvements on Ayite and Aluko. A lot. Not something we can do with fair play regulations. Our big transfers this window need to be a top striker and getting Kalas signed.

So your saying because of fair play we can't spend to improve on Aluko but we can on a top striker..lol