watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How safe are we at Fulham ?

Started by Riversider, June 15, 2017, 02:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Listening to LBC at work last night and they were discussing the Grenfell Tower disaster and tragedies of the past and how we have learnt from them,
Including events like Hillsbrough and the Marchoness disaster,
They also discussed the Bradford fire and that because of that we no longer have wooden stands at football !!! So of course I thought "hold on a minute , we've got a pretty magnificent one at Fulham"
If ever (God forbid) there ever was a fire underneath the Johnny Haynes stand that resulted in a loss of life, how would we be able to justify a wooden stand in the 21st century and is this something we need to address before a tragedy rather than after with the benefit of hindsight ?
To be honest I'm surprised we still get away with it.

Rhys Lightning 63

Isn't it because certain parts of that stand are 'listed' buildings, meaning we can't do certain things to it. Maybe removing the wooden seats would have been one of them
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

nose

In bradford there was massive health and safety violations in particular the rubbish under the stands themselves and in those days smoking was allowed and that is believed to have started that blaze. the roof was also wooden.  I keep hearing that the health and safety regularly visit our statdium and the JH was closed some years ago until it was sufficiently upgraded but hearing what we heard about the tragic events this week maybe the club should re=-appraise the stand that I sit in!

Riversider

Quote from: nose on June 15, 2017, 02:56:55 PM
In bradford there was massive health and safety violations in particular the rubbish under the stands themselves and in those days smoking was allowed and that is believed to have started that blaze. the roof was also wooden.  I keep hearing that the health and safety regularly visit our statdium and the JH was closed some years ago until it was sufficiently upgraded but hearing what we heard about the tragic events this week maybe the club should re=-appraise the stand that I sit in!

I'm sure that does go on, BUT , wood is highly flammable, there's no getting denying that or getting away from it, and the wooden stand and seats are directly above various cooking points, anybody want to disagree that a wooden stand is far from ideal in 2017 ?

Riversider

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on June 15, 2017, 02:52:15 PM
Isn't it because certain parts of that stand are 'listed' buildings, meaning we can't do certain things to it. Maybe removing the wooden seats would have been one of them

No, listed building status would never compromise safety, be it at Fulham or anywhere else.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on June 15, 2017, 02:47:15 PM
Listening to LBC at work last night and they were discussing the Grenfell Tower disaster and tragedies of the past and how we have learnt from them,
Including events like Hillsbrough and the Marchoness disaster,
They also discussed the Bradford fire and that because of that we no longer have wooden stands at football !!! So of course I thought "hold on a minute , we've got a pretty magnificent one at Fulham"
If ever (God forbid) there ever was a fire underneath the Johnny Haynes stand that resulted in a loss of life, how would we be able to justify a wooden stand in the 21st century and is this something we need to address before a tragedy rather than after with the benefit of hindsight ?
To be honest I'm surprised we still get away with it.

Riversider,
May I reassure you, We are not getting away with anything, as there is nothing to get away with.
As our colleagues and associates, Nose & Rhys Lightening 63, have explained that there are no dramas. 
It's all above board within Health & Safety Regulations.
Safe as can possible be.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

gang

Quote from: Riversider on June 15, 2017, 03:26:15 PM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on June 15, 2017, 02:52:15 PM

No, listed building status would never compromise safety, be it at Fulham or anywhere else.

It's only the wall on Stevenage Road that's listed.

grandad

It is only the facade & brickwork of the JH Stand that is listed , not the seating area.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Andy S

I believe a  sprinkler system was installed while the stand was closed as well as other fire resistant measures like gates being left unlocked enabling an escape. I remember there being sessions of wanting us to leave the ground asap after the game which was timed. That is where Stewards to aid any escape were introduced. I remember the flares set off during our European exploits and thinking that it wasn't a very clever thing to do in a wooden stand. I think we are safe from fire but terrorists I'm not so sure about!

WhiteJC

Quote from: grandad on June 15, 2017, 03:36:37 PM
It is only the facade & brickwork of the JH Stand that is listed , not the seating area.

I think the roof is as well because Ali Mac once told me he wanted to "get rid" of the roof supports to improved the view but couldn't because of the listed status

bobbo

I have no idea on how safe it is or knowledge of the levels required for fire safety certification .BUT I've mentioned in numerous times that where I sit in the riverside it take up to 15 minutes just to get to the seating exit after a match but it's concrete and plastic so I guessi shouldn't worry.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

HillingdonFFC

Perfectly safe. After Bradford all wooden stands had to pass stringent safety tests to get a license.
The Stevenage Road stand was closed for the first few home games in 85/86 while fireproofing & an expensive sprinkler system fitted

mrmicawbers

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 15, 2017, 07:41:13 PM
Perfectly safe. After Bradford all wooden stands had to pass stringent safety tests to get a license.
The Stevenage Road stand was closed for the first few home games in 85/86 while fireproofing & an expensive sprinkler system fitted
[/quoteGood I love our wooden seats especially in the winter.

epsomraver

Quote from: Riversider on June 15, 2017, 03:24:34 PM

I'm sure that does go on, BUT , wood is highly flammable, there's no getting denying that or getting away from it, and the wooden stand and seats are directly above various cooking points, anybody want to disagree that a wooden stand is far from ideal in 2017 ?

There are NO cooking points in the JH stand, please get your facts right before posting, that is why the choice of food there is very limited, stick to your souless plastic stand full of plastic fans mostly and leave us alone in the JH, it is perfectly safe with a strict no smoking rule, only time I ever got worried was when those Polish prats let off a flare.

Bill2

There are significant differences between the JH stand and Grenfell Tower. There are numerous exits from the stand plus evacuation on to the pitch, unlike a tower block which normally only has one exit staircase bering in mind that the lifts are not to be used. Also there are stewards all over the place and they should have an emergency evacuation procedure in place.

So in the words of Corporal Jones, don't panic.

Andy S

Road blocks are already in place on a Saturday. Only authorised vehicles are allowed through. I think if they were going to do anything it would more likely be a more high profile ground than the cottage.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: epsomraver on June 15, 2017, 08:33:07 PM
Quote from: Riversider on June 15, 2017, 03:24:34 PM

There are NO cooking points in the JH stand, please get your facts right before posting, that is why the choice of food there is very limited, stick to your souless plastic stand full of plastic fans mostly and leave us alone in the JH, it is perfectly safe with a strict no smoking rule, only time I ever got worried was when those Polish prats let off a flare.

Please do not worry Riversider,
It's as safe now in the JH stand than it's ever been, nothing to worry about. There is more chance Riversider of you combusting and bursting into flames on your own.
In fact you have more chance of getting poo out of a Rocking Horse, than the JH Stand burning down.
New regulations over the years have decreased the risk enormously. Probably safer there than many public places.

Never forget your Roots.

AlexW132

What I don't get is why they had to wait for a tragedy to happen to feel the need to implement safety measures

Jonaldiniho 88

I hate to be the elephant in the room it I walk into the cottage without a single security check done. I am not one to live in fear as I guess we all are but our biggest danger at the cottage is not from fire. Make sure we are safe from fire definitely and if fire safety needs revising then let's do it tomorrow. Our biggest danger is our lax security and a nutter from any religious or political persuasion bringing something designed to hurt walking in with a ticket he bought of a tout. Stadiums should have an iron wall imo. I also believe this does absolutely nothing to prevent a nutcase from unleashing in the cue to the iron wall but we can only hope that there aren't that many people out there that want to hurt us. We will all still turn up. I will stil turn up. I doubt that all the bad people in the world could ever beat the over welming majority of good people in the world if they tried.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AlexW132 on June 15, 2017, 10:50:51 PM
What I don't get is why they had to wait for a tragedy to happen to feel the need to implement safety measures

History is stained with the blood of innocent people who were the victims of someone else's  negligence which cause these tragedies, and the fact that authorities only seem to act when there are deaths makes it criminal negligence.
That's what makes it an even bigger tragedy and a shocking waste of life. They cannot even call it an act of God.
On this occasion due to the magnitude of this horror, there will be no hiding place for anyone found responsible and therefore guilty and brought to justice. If it hasn't already happened, I would imagine there will be a criminal investigation now, as opposed to a civil one. 
It will not bring back the poor unfortunate innocent victims in this horror, but it should prevent anything like this ever happening again.

Never forget your Roots.