watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulhams strangest ever signings

Started by charliejones141, July 06, 2017, 05:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Saw Larnell Cole as sub against Crawley early season friendly looked pretty tricky and quick, hope he finds a new club

@jolslover

Fotheringham strangest definitely. Was released by a league 1 club because he wasn't good enough and we signed him as a championship club.
STH H3

F(f)CUK

AlexW132

Adil Chihi, Vincenzo Montella, Andrew Dawber all spring immediately to mind

Holders

Quote from: F(f)CUK on July 06, 2017, 08:45:02 PM
Jari Litmanan - end of story?

Without doubt one of the best players ever to hold up a Fulham shirt. Whether he ever put one on is another story.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

aaronmcguigan

Jaroslav Drobny

Didn't exactly see the logic in signing this guy from mid table in Greece to replace VdS, safe to say Coleman panic bought, and ended up with Drobny, Crossley,Batista, Niemi, Warner all in the same season I think and Drobny lost out.

Bjorn Runstorm

Arrived in a fanfare, given the #10 jersey, he was never going to get a look in ahead of McBride, Helguson, John, Radzinski

David Healy

Resting your hopes on someone who has never delivered at the top level, and who was never prolific consistently in the leagues below was a flawed move from the start. Done a brilliant version of air flute playing to some Celtic fans and got shown the door. Now managing Linfield.

Adrian Leijer, Simon Elliott, Ahmad Elrich

History says we should never go for these Oceanian players. Elliott, Leijer and Elrich were all highly thought of but couldn't get up to speed or adapt properly.

Lee Cook

£2.5m would have been better donated to charity than given to QPR. Ridiculous money back then to spend on someone who had never even smelt the Premier League.

Roy Hodgsons bits on the side

He can take his share of the blame for Freddy Stoor, Toni Kallio and Julian Gray,

Marcel Gecov

Played against Liverpool and never seen again

Mitroglou
the logic was plain to see, but to sanction the purchase of an unfit player when the money was barely there was up sh1t creek territory, especially as the manager was changed 2 weeks later and the club was upside down

Pretty much everyone signed in the last year by Jol
Manolev, Enoh, Urby, Frimpong , Zverotic, Taarabt, Bent

The money tightened allegedly but no doubt we were paying silly fees and wages for Berba, Bent, Taarabt, but the age of some of the players coming in, and many just because Jol knew them, and the lack of fight became synonymous with our last 2 years in that league.

Im sure most transfers can be questioned, and the strangeness can be queried especially applying hindsight but there were/are/ will be some very dodgy deals that we don't need or wont work out for us/them. but for every one of them, theres been a Clint/McB / Hughes/ Hangeland/ TC transfer to knock our socks off.

the nutflush

I always thought Amorebieta was a poor signing.  Not the 'strangest' but god he was rubbish. 

Mince n Tatties

George Best, for the simple reason never thought in my wildest dreams that he would wear our shirt.

@jolslover

Quote from: the nutflush on July 09, 2017, 12:44:29 PM
I always thought Amorebieta was a poor signing.  Not the 'strangest' but god he was rubbish. 

Harsh, Dont think Nando was that bad. A liability with regards to bookings but much better than the Champ defenders we've had prior to last season.
STH H3

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: @jolslover on July 09, 2017, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: the nutflush on July 09, 2017, 12:44:29 PM

Harsh, Dont think Nando was that bad. A liability with regards to bookings but much better than the Champ defenders we've had prior to last season.

Relegated in our first season, and has moved to Gijon where the same thing happened

mouse

Surely,it has to be Mitroglue,for the price ,the state of unfitness,weight,uglyness,education and all round loving rubbish.....taking the piss..COYW

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: mouse on July 09, 2017, 10:40:23 PM
Surely,it has to be Mitroglue,for the price ,the state of unfitness,weight,uglyness,education and all round flipping rubbish.....taking the piss..COYW
If we're finding the strangest transfer, Mitroglou doesn't fit the bill. We were loaning our berbatov and we were looking a goal scorer. He had scored 17 in 19 and we were willing to override an injury to get our man.

It's indicative of the way our club was at the time that we had a choice of him or Griezmann and picked the wrong horse. Hindsight is a great thing but a relegation scrapping team were signing a champions league striker

HatterDon

Quote from: F(f)CUK on July 06, 2017, 08:45:02 PM
Jari Litmanan - end of story?

He's my number one, but I think there's got to be a story -- never fit enough to play, but fit enough to train and get in shape for internationals; fit enough to play a few seasons after he left us.

Roy must have had a reason for wasting wages on him, but I can't think of a GOOD one.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Edwin Van Der Sar.

At the time of his signing, he was one of the very best goalkeepers in the world, and he'd just lost his job to the guy who had the title The Best, so he came to little ole Fulham.

How the hell did that happen?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

Quote from: Newry FFC on July 09, 2017, 10:50:16 PM
Surely,it has to be Mitroglue,for the price ,the state of unfitness,weight,uglyness,education and all round flipping rubbish.....taking the piss..COYW
If we're finding the strangest transfer, Mitroglou doesn't fit the bill. We were loaning our berbatov and we were looking a goal scorer. He had scored 17 in 19 and we were willing to override an injury to get our man.

It's indicative of the way our club was at the time that we had a choice of him or Griezmann and picked the wrong horse. Hindsight is a great thing but a relegation scrapping team were signing a champions league striker

Cannot disagree with your sentiments regarding his achievements, though hindsight didn't come into it when the player is apparently already injured. We needed someone who could start off from the blocks, someone with a proven record and someone who had the enthusiasm required. The first was a no-go, the second was positive and the third was proven nowhere to be seen.  His miraculous recoveries when his national side were playing was nothing short of the second coming, though it was somewhat strange that the moment that match was over he returned to his cart-horse status for us! Amazingly he managed to get a loan back to Olympiacos where he managed to start knocking them in again, even in the CL!

Greatest Footie swindle of all time was that man, and considering he cost us a record fee, it showed just how green & gullible Khan was to the game.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

snarks

Quote from: Logicalman on July 10, 2017, 02:41:54 PM

Cannot disagree with your sentiments regarding his achievements, though hindsight didn't come into it when the player is apparently already injured. We needed someone who could start off from the blocks, someone with a proven record and someone who had the enthusiasm required. The first was a no-go, the second was positive and the third was proven nowhere to be seen.  His miraculous recoveries when his national side were playing was nothing short of the second coming, though it was somewhat strange that the moment that match was over he returned to his cart-horse status for us! Amazingly he managed to get a loan back to Olympiacos where he managed to start knocking them in again, even in the CL!

Greatest Footie swindle of all time was that man, and considering he cost us a record fee, it showed just how green & gullible Khan was to the game.

I seem to recall that Mitroglou wasn't played by Felix as he said he wasn't match fit, yet his country didn't feel the same way. I think it was Mr Khan's naivety that sanctioned his purchase by Rene, and then the installation of a complete oddball as manager 2 weeks later. I remember Rio Ferdinand thought it was a great bit of business given Mitroglou was playing against Man Utd in the CL. 

Logicalman

Quote from: snarks on July 10, 2017, 02:50:42 PM

I seem to recall that Mitroglou wasn't played by Felix as he said he wasn't match fit, yet his country didn't feel the same way. I think it was Mr Khan's naivety that sanctioned his purchase by Rene, and then the installation of a complete oddball as manager 2 weeks later. I remember Rio Ferdinand thought it was a great bit of business given Mitroglou was playing against Man Utd in the CL.

I would bow to your more superior take on the matter, sir.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

snarks

Quote from: Logicalman on July 10, 2017, 02:52:54 PM
Quote from: snarks on July 10, 2017, 02:50:42 PM

I would bow to your more superior take on the matter, sir.

I wouldn't go that far, he did come with a back injury tho' thought to be short term hence passing the medical.