watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pessimistic fans?!

Started by WONKYTONKY, July 11, 2017, 09:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WONKYTONKY

I find it strange how negative and dismissive of everything so many Fulham fans are. Seem to have no belief the club will ever do anything good.
After the success of the last off seasons transfers and the way the season went, you'd think people would be excited to see what the club can get done and have a little faith.
Is it just a Fulham fan thing or are most fans this doom and gloom? I'm confident we'll get the players we need to really push on this season and I'm pumped for it.

fulhamben

Quote from: WONKYTONKY on July 11, 2017, 09:05:20 PM
I find it strange how negative and dismissive of everything so many Fulham fans are. Seem to have no belief the club will ever do anything good.
After the success of the last off seasons transfers and the way the season went, you'd think people would be excited to see what the club can get done and have a little faith.
Is it just a Fulham fan thing or are most fans this doom and gloom? I'm confident we'll get the players we need to really push on this season and I'm pumped for it.
in the case of fulham, one swallow doesnt make a summer. and when you think that we sold and lost hugo, mccormack, smith, dembele and mitroglou, and only replaced them with the derby player on loan, you can see why there is doubt in some peoples mind. its not genuinely the amount of signings that is the issue, its strengthening the blatantly obvious weak areas that doesnt always get addressed. yes last season turned out ok. but the previous 6 windows before it were pretty shocking save the odd purchase or loan
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

hovewhite

Before the season starts always believe we are in for a good season,more so this coming season than ever.We have a settled squad that of course needs adding to,but even with what he have we will win more than we lose.
Bring it on.coyw

Roguewhite

The problem is the same every season, which is the club is always slow in doing business in the beginning of the transfer window.  It also seems to be the same case the last couple of seasons with more leaving then coming in.  Still one has to hope that the club is working hard behind the scenes.  We won't truly know until the new season is a good month in as to how good the team will be. 

BedsFFC

nose

I find it strange that more people are not in a state of high anxiety at we are not doing.
we were brilliant last season despite a fantastically poor summer and winter transfer window (contrary to wha is often said on the MB). we were a sensible management away from being a top three contender and walking the playoffs, but had insufficient depth of squad from day one. it was obvious to us all! and we failed in winter. and it ost us.

now, we all know the right thing is to get the business done now, let joca have as much pre season as is possible with a whole squad. 11 days in, amazing, no center half, no center forward, not enough incoming. we have the best manager in the division and it certainly appears we may be about to make all the same mistakes again. and we are led to believe kline is still fundamental, lessons learned seem to be heading for none. better to live by nonsense theory, and penny pinching, than do it properly using properly experienced people.

if we have a few trop notch acquisistions by the end of next week, wonderful, but I doubt it. if we do not I suspect our manager/head coach will be a likely exit.

Mince n Tatties

Is this pessimistic enough for you?
Were going down.... 049:gif  049:gif  049:gif  :yay:

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: nose on July 11, 2017, 10:06:37 PM

I find it strange that more people are not in a state of high anxiety at we are not doing.
we were brilliant last season despite a fantastically poor summer and winter transfer window (contrary to wha is often said on the MB). we were a sensible management away from being a top three contender and walking the playoffs, but had insufficient depth of squad from day one. it was obvious to us all! and we failed in winter. and it ost us.

now, we all know the right thing is to get the business done now, let joca have as much pre season as is possible with a whole squad. 11 days in, amazing, no center half, no center forward, not enough incoming. we have the best manager in the division and it certainly appears we may be about to make all the same mistakes again. and we are led to believe kline is still fundamental, lessons learned seem to be heading for none. better to live by nonsense theory, and penny pinching, than do it properly using properly experienced people.

if we have a few trop notch acquisistions by the end of next week, wonderful, but I doubt it. if we do not I suspect our manager/head coach will be a likely exit.
:plus one: Exactly my thoughts.We need to be doing business early and bed in the new arrivals for the long season ahead.

Jonaldiniho 88

Fantastically bad summer window? Kalas, johanson, kmac, malone, aluko, ayite, kebano, odoi and fredericks. One or two of those I may have got wrong but if that's fantastically bad a good window and we will walk this league. I do understand we left things late which wasn't ideal but it appears to me we got the right players in.

Lighthouse

The point is we don't need many players. Just three or four who can actually be first team players and not just squad players. But we needed then in January and still need them now.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

The word Pessimistic as defined in the English. Oxford. Collins Dictionary is....." A tendency to stress the negative or unfavourable, or to take the gloomiest possible view. "
That for me does not apply to anyone on this forum.
Nobody is pessimistic, just realistic, and have probably seen too many false Dawns.
As well as having to observe the same pattern of unnecessary restricted transfer policy, once again.
Pessimistic no, streetwise yes.
Nevertheless, if this Rolan deal does not go through, then at least the club tried to sign a quality player. But if as reported the player personally chose not to come to the club, then the club has to move on.
But we have to move on quickly.
The squad is woefully thin, and we need amongst others 3 or 4 quality players to come in and be first choice.
Otherwise we are standing still while other teams are overtaking in their recruitment.
So far the recruitment policy has limited the managers ability to bring in the players he identifies as the players to strengthen the clubs aspirations, these are the players he wants, and shouldn't be the players Kline wants, but whilst Kline gets his way the club will continue to sleep walk backwards, as too many tricks appear to have been missed once again.
Of course there is time to salvage this pre season.
But for a club to fall at the play offs last season, with the system of play and the wonderful passing movements orchestrated by Jok, this should not be the way the club should be conducting deals in a Window that has some catching up to do.
If the club genuinely supports the manager, then where is the ammunition he needs to Orchestrate another promotion campaign.
The clock is ticking like a time bomb.
Months will turn into weeks and weeks into days, and days into hours.
People have every right to feel pessimistic, but nobody really is, just feeling a little underwhelmed as usual at this time of year, but also realistic.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

therealjaybee

Have to agree with Woolly. I think pessimistic is maybe the wrong word.

More than anything I feel every season Fulham fans get frustrated and maybe we just have a shorter fuse than most in general. Potential transfers seem to pass us by whilst other teams pull off ridiculous deals they have no right to and this time of year seems to bring that out.

WONKYTONKY

I think what people are trying to pass as street smart  067.gif is a very pessimistic view of things. I'm a Fulham lifer but I still am staying confident that the RIGHT signings will be made one way or another. As for using the Martin situation as a negative against the clubs transfer dealings. I disagree. The club found a proven championship striker. Got him in and had a buy out clause. There was no way the club could've foreseen him being a lazy, disruptive tool. Imagine if we'd bought him up front and then found that out.
Guess different people see things differently. I prefer to remain positive until anything negative happens. I don't think we are running out of time yet in this window. Games have to be played for the sake of not getting mugged by the like of Chelscum for over the top prices. Nothing worse then people saying saying, "just give them what they're asking and get him in!" Horrible business plan!
10 crappy players in early are not worth more than 4 rockstars that come when we can make it happen. Chill and have a little faith.

SouthfieldWhite

How can anyone say we had a poor Summer transferr window with the amount of new players we brought in?
I wasn't expecting too much as teams take time to gel but thought the players gelled really quick.
We were one of the top scorers in the league but I believe we played too much tippy teapot football in the first 1/4 of the season .
When we started to play a more positive game we looked better and started getting the results.

All clubs have pessimistic fans but we seem to have more than most on this board, and I'd say most are the ones who don't even go to a lot of games but they feel by moaning that they are a still playing a part in the club.

nose

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 11, 2017, 11:05:49 PM

Fantastically bad summer window? Kalas, johanson, kmac, malone, aluko, ayite, kebano, odoi and fredericks. One or two of those I may have got wrong but if that's fantastically bad a good window and we will walk this league. I do understand we left things late which wasn't ideal but it appears to me we got the right players in.

I am glad somebody bit on my words. You list the very good parts and that was fantastic. A few gems in there, a few goodish players and terrific. But you didn't list the dross OR more importantly that we  rescued defeat from the jaws of victory by the fact we didn't finish the job. too many too late and no forwards or proper tough guy, or dominant center hapf etc etc. Fantastically bad because we were left with a good but thread bare squad, we were left with what might have been.     

The manager's rant on radio london was evidence we failed to complete the job. And January was a farce worthy of Brian Rix!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: nose on July 12, 2017, 09:39:42 AM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 11, 2017, 11:05:49 PM

I am glad somebody bit on my words. You list the very good parts and that was fantastic. A few gems in there, a few goodish players and terrific. But you didn't list the dross OR more importantly that we  rescued defeat from the jaws of victory by the fact we didn't finish the job. too many too late and no forwards or proper tough guy, or dominant center hapf etc etc. Fantastically bad because we were left with a good but thread bare squad, we were left with what might have been.     

The manager's rant on radio london was evidence we failed to complete the job. And January was a farce worthy of Brian Rix!
Yep. A good footballer was Brian, and so was his brother Graham.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Quote from: WONKYTONKY on July 12, 2017, 03:20:49 AM
I think what people are trying to pass as street smart  067.gif is a very pessimistic view of things. I'm a Fulham lifer but I still am staying confident that the RIGHT signings will be made one way or another. As for using the Martin situation as a negative against the clubs transfer dealings. I disagree. The club found a proven championship striker. Got him in and had a buy out clause. There was no way the club could've foreseen him being a lazy, disruptive tool. Imagine if we'd bought him up front and then found that out.
Guess different people see things differently. I prefer to remain positive until anything negative happens. I don't think we are running out of time yet in this window. Games have to be played for the sake of not getting mugged by the like of Chelscum for over the top prices. Nothing worse then people saying saying, "just give them what they're asking and get him in!" Horrible business plan!
10 crappy players in early are not worth more than 4 rockstars that come when we can make it happen. Chill and have a little faith.

Nobody comes on here and says that fans shouldn't be optimistic. I think it is great. Lots to be confident about. But when it comes to transfers.  I would argue the reason we didn't go up was partly due to not bringing in the right players in the right positions in January. I would argue that the players that were needed in January are still the type of players needed now. Traditionally we start to have news during Wimbledon. But I'm not confident. Until we have a keeper or a forward or a defender that we can say will improve us. It is only fair to say that some of us who are pessimists by nature and have seen nothing to change that while other clubs dance and buy players. Remain ready to see the sky fall in. In the end the pessimists are always proved right. After all none of us get out alive and so why have false hope?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 12, 2017, 10:00:06 AM
Quote from: WONKYTONKY on July 12, 2017, 03:20:49 AM

Nobody comes on here and says that fans shouldn't be optimistic. I think it is great. Lots to be confident about. But when it comes to transfers.  I would argue the reason we didn't go up was partly due to not bringing in the right players in the right positions in January. I would argue that the players that were needed in January are still the type of players needed now. Traditionally we start to have news during Wimbledon. But I'm not confident. Until we have a keeper or a forward or a defender that we can say will improve us. It is only fair to say that some of us who are pessimists by nature and have seen nothing to change that while other clubs dance and buy players. Remain ready to see the sky fall in. In the end the pessimists are always proved right. After all none of us get out alive and so why have false hope?

I am an optimist by nature and believe the sky is the limit. we have an owner and his son promising great things. To make thise great things happen they have to give the manager the tools to do the job. we see the manager is brilliant, nobody at all now doubts that. we are nailed on for promotion (to use a cliche) if we get the right players at the right time. as last season prgressed it was obvious what we had to do and should have hit the ground running (more cliches!) as we approached the opening of the July window.

It's now the 11th and incoming players are thin on the ground, losing malone was potentially a bad sign.

Carborundum

The most pessimistic I get is when contemplating three months without live competitive football.  The good news is there's only three and a half weeks of it left.

Friendlies, signings, non-signings, rumours etc all interesting, but the hope/despair quotient is only going to rise when we get going for real.

Jims Dentist

Well said Nose, agree with all three posts on this subject.

Khan & Cline have no qualifications to hold the posts they do and Mackintosh is a skinflint.