Scotty

Started by MikeW, August 03, 2017, 07:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: Twig on August 03, 2017, 05:31:37 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 03, 2017, 10:13:21 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 09:59:23 AM
The php strongly disagree with your value for money comment. Infact I'd go as far to say it was the most costly blunder ever made by the club. In his defence though, he did exactly what jol said he would, and that's be a good anchor. And boy did he drag us down the leagues

That is extremely detrimental to a player who gave his all, and was not responsible for Fulham's demise from the Premier League.
You should not allow your personal feelings to cloud your judgement.
personal feelings? Old age getting to you Woolly, have you genuinely forgotten how bad it was with the Parker sidwell combo? Have you forgotten how many goals we shipped with Parker as our dm, have you forgotten how good we become when he was finally dropped last year. I swear the majority on here when looking back at Parker, only see what he did with spurs and england

Sorry ben you're on your own on this one.  I went to almost every home game a few away ones as well. Scotty was a class above most of the non-trying apologies we had to put up with at that time. As far as I am concerned he was one of the few hopes we had of avoiding the drop. Unfortunately it wasn't to be but it seems ridiculous to make him the scapegoat.
you are probably confusing him for ruiz, who took so much stick for dropping into our own box because neither Parker or sidwell could get the ball to the half way line. I blame lots of players for that poor year not just Parker. But u fortunately we gave him such a stupid contract that we were stuck with him for a few more seasons
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 03, 2017, 09:27:21 AM
Yes he was on very good wages, but I thought we got good value from him compared to some of the Prima Donna's, who couldn't  tackle a boiled egg, or foul a footpath, or head a bus queue, kind of merchants we have had over the years.
It's a shame he was not in a really good Fulham team when he first joined, and in the first couple of years. We would really have got the best out of him, but he was always in a struggling Fulham team.
Nonetheless, he was always prepared to run through a brick wall and come out fighting on the other side.
I wish we had another half a dozen like him.
A real Leader and Captain, especially when things aren't going well, a players player with a great attitude, a big engine, and the heart the size of a football.
His value in the dressing room pre match and at half time must have been a managers dream.
When I think of some of the lazy, sulking, big time Charlie, awful body language couldn't careless individuals we have had, compared to them he was an icon.
He has now gone to Tottenham Hotspur the club he supports.
Assuming Fulham asked him to stay. Perhaps Fulham's offer for him to stay and coach was not enough compared to Spurs. Who knows the reasons, but he did what was best for him and his family, and why shouldn't he, I wish him all the best.
Who knows one day he may just return as a coach or manager.
Never say never, and never hold a grudge, people who do just punish themselves and eat themselves up inside, and beat themselves up, life goes on, but you should always remember your roots, because sometimes what goes round comes round.

:plus one:

Twig

Quote from: fulhamben on August 04, 2017, 08:39:20 AM
The php strongly disagree with your value for money comment. Infact I'd go as far to say it was the most costly blunder ever made by the club. In his defence though, he did exactly what jol said he would, and that's be a good anchor. And boy did he drag us down the leagues

That is extremely detrimental to a player who gave his all, and was not responsible for Fulham's demise from the Premier League.
personal feelings? Old age getting to you Woolly, have you genuinely forgotten how bad it was with the Parker sidwell combo? Have you forgotten how many goals we shipped with Parker as our dm, have you forgotten how good we become when he was finally dropped last year. I swear the majority on here when looking back at Parker, only see what he did with spurs and england

Sorry ben you're on your own on this one.  I went to almost every home game a few away ones as well. Scotty was a class above most of the non-trying apologies we had to put up with at that time. As far as I am concerned he was one of the few hopes we had of avoiding the drop. Unfortunately it wasn't to be but it seems ridiculous to make him the scapegoat.
you are probably confusing him for ruiz, who took so much stick for dropping into our own box because neither Parker or sidwell could get the ball to the half way line. I blame lots of players for that poor year not just Parker. But u fortunately we gave him such a stupid contract that we were stuck with him for a few more seasons

Sorry Ben we'll have to agree to disagree. As for Ruiz - total waste of space.

fulhamben

Quote from: Twig on August 04, 2017, 09:38:38 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 04, 2017, 08:39:20 AM

Sorry Ben we'll have to agree to disagree. As for Ruiz - total waste of space.
he was, but you can't deny that he had to drop so deep just to try and make things happen. And for me the best we looked all that season was when rene came in and drop all the oldies, Parker included

f bloke

I am with Fulham Ben on this - I thought he was dreadful in our relegation season - maybe it wasn't necessarily all his own fault - maybe he was brought in to do a job he was not suitable for - but what we needed more than anything that season was someone to help shield the defense - to play with a tactical discipline.  Instead - he tried to play box to box and was not very good at it.  Sure he would put in a shift from time to time, put in a few hard tackles for show - but for me he often played without intelligence, discipline  and/or with a degree of recklessness that didn't help us - he conceded a ridiculous amount of reckless free kicks near the penalty area - a large proportion of which ended up costing us.  For me much of his effort and attitude was huff and puff for show.  Even last season when he was brought on to chase games - his first acts would often be to commit unnecessary fouls - milked by the opposing team to take minutes out of the game.  Some call it passion - I just thought it lacked game intelligence 

I will concede that is the first couple of seasons in the Championship he was important in us avoiding relegation and perhaps one of our better players - but really that was more of a case of the one eyed man in the land of the blind.  Last season only really took off when the manager realized we couldn't play with both Parker and Macdonald.

I gather he was good in the dressing room and his fellow pros looked up to him so there are some positives there but his loss will not be especially mourned by me and he will just go down as a number of players who came and went during a period of turmoil - he wont last long in the memory.

Woolly Mammoth

So we are all agreed then. Thank you Scott Parker for your contribution as a player and Captain of Fulham FC.
You are a fine example to us all and the players who played alongside you. ⚽️⚽️ 🥇
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 04, 2017, 11:50:46 AM
So we are all agreed then. Thank you Scott Parker for your contribution as a player and Captain of Fulham FC.
You are a fine example to us all and the players who played alongside you. ⚽️⚽️ 🥇
I'll conceed he offered more than Smith 😉

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: fulhamben on August 04, 2017, 11:54:19 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 04, 2017, 11:50:46 AM
I'll conceed he offered more than Smith 😉

I liked Smudger also, he was a good Egg. 👍
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Great personality, not so great a player for us. Still, the leadership was invaluable.