watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotty

Started by MikeW, August 03, 2017, 07:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

There's a 'farewell Scott' piece in the excellent When Saturday Comes magazine this month, written from the perspective of a Charlton supporter.

Overall the impression is one of a career unfulfilled which surprised me a bit.

I'm not really in a position to judge but I always felt we got good value from him even in the twilight years.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

HillingdonFFC

Cant fault his attitude but good value?
Cost us millions in wages when we decide to sign a near 33 year old way past his best & give him a massive 3 year contract.
Nothing against the bloke as he was a fantastic pro but money down the drain especially as he buggers off to Spurs the day he announced his retirement

dannyboi-ffc

It wasn't good value but that's an error from the club. I can't fault Scott for his efforts here, a great role model for the younger players and at his age he gave as much as he could.

Right time for all parties to move on though. Just a shame he didn't stay on as a coach
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Woolly Mammoth

Yes he was on very good wages, but I thought we got good value from him compared to some of the Prima Donna's, who couldn't  tackle a boiled egg, or foul a footpath, or head a bus queue, kind of merchants we have had over the years.
It's a shame he was not in a really good Fulham team when he first joined, and in the first couple of years. We would really have got the best out of him, but he was always in a struggling Fulham team.
Nonetheless, he was always prepared to run through a brick wall and come out fighting on the other side.
I wish we had another half a dozen like him.
A real Leader and Captain, especially when things aren't going well, a players player with a great attitude, a big engine, and the heart the size of a football.
His value in the dressing room pre match and at half time must have been a managers dream.
When I think of some of the lazy, sulking, big time Charlie, awful body language couldn't careless individuals we have had, compared to them he was an icon.
He has now gone to Tottenham Hotspur the club he supports.
Assuming Fulham asked him to stay. Perhaps Fulham's offer for him to stay and coach was not enough compared to Spurs. Who knows the reasons, but he did what was best for him and his family, and why shouldn't he, I wish him all the best.
Who knows one day he may just return as a coach or manager.
Never say never, and never hold a grudge, people who do just punish themselves and eat themselves up inside, and beat themselves up, life goes on, but you should always remember your roots, because sometimes what goes round comes round.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fulhamben

The php strongly disagree with your value for money comment. Infact I'd go as far to say it was the most costly blunder ever made by the club. In his defence though, he did exactly what jol said he would, and that's be a good anchor. And boy did he drag us down the leagues
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

Always a joy to watch, a good combination of skill and attitude. Just a shame he was here when we were at our worst.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 09:59:23 AM
The php strongly disagree with your value for money comment. Infact I'd go as far to say it was the most costly blunder ever made by the club. In his defence though, he did exactly what jol said he would, and that's be a good anchor. And boy did he drag us down the leagues

That is extremely detrimental to a player who gave his all, and was not responsible for Fulham's demise from the Premier League.
You should not allow your personal feelings to cloud your judgement.

Never forget your Roots.

snarks

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 03, 2017, 09:27:21 AM
Yes he was on very good wages, but I thought we got good value from him compared to some of the Prima Donna's, who couldn't  tackle a boiled egg, or foul a footpath, or head a bus queue, kind of merchants we have had over the years.
It's a shame he was not in a really good Fulham team when he first joined, and in the first couple of years. We would really have got the best out of him, but he was always in a struggling Fulham team.
Nonetheless, he was always prepared to run through a brick wall and come out fighting on the other side.
A real Leader and Captain, especially when things aren't going well, a players player with a great attitude, a big engine, and the heart the size of a football.
His value in the dressing room pre match and at half time must have been a managers dream.
When I think of some of the lazy, sulking, big time Charlie, awful body language couldn't careless individuals we have had, compared to them he was an icon.
Assuming Fulham asked him to stay. Perhaps Fulham's offer for him to stay and coach was not enough compared to Spurs. Who knows the reasons, but he did what was best for him and his family, and why shouldn't he, I wish him all the best.
Never say never, and never hold a grudge, people who do just punish themselves and eat themselves up inside, and beat themselves up, life goes on, but you should always remember your roots, because sometimes what goes round comes round.

Agree completely with this

hopper

Great post, really enjoyed it. Especially the last bit!

Twig

Great post totally agree. Fulhamben must have some sort of personal problem with SP but from where I sat he was worth his wages for the combination of his contributions on and off the field.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

A quality player and a cut above the crap we have had to put up with recently. Even great players are made to look average when surrounded by dross. Many a time I took neutral supporting friends to the cottage, guys who have all played the game at a decent County standard. Everyone came away saying what a class above he was to almost everyone on the pitch.
Just 2 years after being named football writers premier league player of the season ,  we were lucky to have him onboard and attempting to hold that mess together. Unfortunately it wasn't quite enough. As a coach , who knows ? But if it's anything like the effort he put in when wearing the shirt, it's our loss , and Spurs gain.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 03, 2017, 10:13:21 AM

That is extremely detrimental to a player who gave his all, and was not responsible for Fulham's demise from the Premier League.
personal feelings? Old age getting to you Woolly, have you genuinely forgotten how bad it was with the Parker sidwell combo? Have you forgotten how many goals we shipped with Parker as our dm, have you forgotten how good we become when he was finally dropped last year. I swear the majority on here when looking back at Parker, only see what he did with spurs and england

Chutney

Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 02:03:32 PM

personal feelings? Old age getting to you Woolly, have you genuinely forgotten how bad it was with the Parker sidwell combo? Have you forgotten how many goals we shipped with Parker as our dm, have you forgotten how good we become when he was finally dropped last year. I swear the majority on here when looking back at Parker, only see what he did with spurs and england

Parker is one of the only players trying in our relegation season, and both of our championship relegation fights he dragged the team on, even when things looked totally bleak he tried to be an inspiration to those around him. I know you didn't like him, but to deny the positive contribution he had to the team is just silly. Last season he acted like a manager on the sidelines and if you ask any of the players, they will tell you how important he was around the club, we will miss his influence this year. He was more than just a player he was a true club captain. He gave the team talk that kept us up first year in the championship, all the other players looked up to him.
C O Y W

fulhamben

Quote from: Chutney on August 03, 2017, 02:16:52 PM

Parker is one of the only players trying in our relegation season, and both of our championship relegation fights he dragged the team on, even when things looked totally bleak he tried to be an inspiration to those around him. I know you didn't like him, but to deny the positive contribution he had to the team is just silly. Last season he acted like a manager on the sidelines and if you ask any of the players, they will tell you how important he was around the club, we will miss his influence this year. He was more than just a player he was a true club captain. He gave the team talk that kept us up first year in the championship, all the other players looked up to him.
suppose you was one of those who was gutted that Mcdonald replaced him. At least you recognise that he was better on the sidelines than on the pitch

Chutney

Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 02:35:21 PM

suppose you was one of those who was gutted that Mcdonald replaced him. At least you recognise that he was better on the sidelines than on the pitch

Not at all, McDonald is huge for us, but Parker played a huge role in keeping us up the previous two seasons.
C O Y W

fulhamben

Quote from: Chutney on August 03, 2017, 02:47:19 PM

Not at all, McDonald is huge for us, but Parker played a huge role in keeping us up the previous two seasons.
remind me how many we shipped with him protecting the back four. Thankfully we had a couple of good strikers back then that could score more than we conceded on occasion.

Chutney

Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 02:56:56 PM

remind me how many we shipped with him protecting the back four. Thankfully we had a couple of good strikers back then that could score more than we conceded on occasion.

You're blaming one player for that?
C O Y W

snarks

Quote from: fulhamben on August 03, 2017, 02:56:56 PM

So you would have Burn, Hutchinson, Richards and Stafalydis with McDonald in front of them, rather than the current lot would you.

Parker did what he was asked to in the worst Fulham team for 15 years. The one thing you can't do is blame him for that shambles.

Twig

Sorry ben you're on your own on this one.  I went to almost every home game a few away ones as well. Scotty was a class above most of the non-trying apologies we had to put up with at that time. As far as I am concerned he was one of the few hopes we had of avoiding the drop. Unfortunately it wasn't to be but it seems ridiculous to make him the scapegoat.

Woolly Mammoth

You keep asking me if I have Forgotten, are you questioning my memory just because I was born in the Bronze Age.
That reminds me, I cannot remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Never forget your Roots.