watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Todays match assessment

Started by jayffc, August 05, 2017, 05:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

Thought we were the better team for 65 minutes. Then the subsitutions happened and it all when a bit flat. Actually felt Norwood was integral to snappy quick passing in midfield and even won the ball well in that deep lying CM role. Once he went off  and we tired I felt we lacked in the centre.

Cisse was industrious but didnt really achieve anything.

Sess is a winger- we need a LB
Sone just brilliant first half but faded.

CB pairing did well for most of the game.
Fair play to Button who had a teriffic game.
Kamara was a handful and powerful enough if not the most mobile, quite a unit, didnt seem like his balance was terribly good but look forward to seeing what he can bring iver the season.
Fred good first half but faded, as did most, we looked very tired late on.

Overall I think we probably should have edged the gane but not a terrible draw. Need a LB ,another CF option and a CB with an added bonus GK in that order. If we fail to get that done I think we'll be caught short over a long season.

Not a terrible result, Norwich a decent enough side who'll be pushing for playoffs...we can and will do better.

NogoodBoyo

I agree with a lot of this.  Except for this commonly held view on Sessegnon.  He started his first team life as a full back.  Good left backs are as rare as hens' teeth.  We should stick with him as he has pace, skill and strength for one so young.  Give the coaches a chance to work with him on the defensive side of his game.
Nogood "good team, see" Boyo

The Rock

The good: Our attacking, movement of the ball, we looked dangerous. Midfield is great. Fredericks out of the back was really good. Kalas was solid. Kamara only looked 1/2 lost and had a nice cross - once he gels he could be a nice addition. Button had a good day. I like the new arrivals.

The bad: Norwich botteled so many opportunities. If they were any better we'd have lost 3 or 4-1. Besides Kalas and Fredericks, we lack two starters at the back and look fragile. We botteled opportunities as well. We need to be more clinical, and maybe it's the integration of our new striker that will help.

Not much has changed from last year. Our strengths remain, but so do our weaknesses. I wish we'd just get these few players in that would make the difference.

f bloke

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 05, 2017, 05:52:53 PM
I agree with a lot of this.  Except for this commonly held view on Sessegnon.  He started his first team life as a full back.  Good left backs are as rare as hens' teeth.  We should stick with him as he has pace, skill and strength for one so young.  Give the coaches a chance to work with him on the defensive side of his game.
Nogood "good team, see" Boyo

.....................;.................

Agree with this. Sess either starts as LB or is on the bench. Not yet sure he has the technical skills to be a top class wide man and right now wouldn't start him overAyite or Kebano. I think with time he will be a very good full back. Question is do we allow him the time to learn that position. Generally though I think we need to rein in our expectations of him, he is still a young 17 yr old

Nasty Neil

I agree with the match report. Thought made some bad choices which isn't surprising considering his age. I think we need a LB as a priority he could even help session with his Development a run of games like that could shatter senses confidence. I thought team as whole looked tired last 20 which understandable after the pressing and speed they played 1st half. There's no substitute for match fitness in any sport.

Black and White Town

I went today with my son and father in law. Had good seats in row 2 on the riverside stand, maybe 5 metres towards Hammersmith from the centre line. Was great being so close to the action.

I really think we should and could have won it. We had loads more chances, particularly in the first 25 mins of the second half.

I can't really point at any player that was poor, I think everyone played pretty well, and Kalas was very good: lots of really good balls forward. Button was also excellent. Sessegnon was fine I thought. He's very good considering his age and will only improve.

So apart from the small issue of not converting our chances, it was a good performance. Disappointing not to get the win.

@jolslover

My thoughts. Should be noted Norwich started 7 new signings.

Button 7.5- Made some good saves that stopped us from losing, looked confident and was a surprisingly decent performance.
Fredericks 6- Average game, Pace made him a threat going forward but his end product was lacking with a few wayward crosses.
Kalas 7- Good game, Was solid and not a lot got past him.
Ream 7- Had a tough job as Wildschut kept skinning Sess so he had to cover, Was composed on the ball as usual and dealt with the physicality of Jerome surprisingly well.
Sessegnon 5- Was tough for him today. Couldn't deal with Wildschut who kept getting the better off him. Maybe not down to poor defending as I suspect Fredericks would have had a tough time dealing with him as well. Just unlucky.
Norwood 7- Didn't do anything special but looked right at home today. Made no mistakes and was very comfortable on the ball. Decent debut.
Johansen 7- Decent game for him, Some lovely outside of the boot passes and worked hard all game. Good to see his performances haven't dropped from last season.
Cairney 6- Perhaps a harsh rating but didn't control the game in the same way he did last season. Didn't play badly but didn't make the impact we know he is capable off.
Aluko 6.5- Caused them problems as usual but faded in and out today, Gets the fans on their feet when beating men and linked up well with Fredericks but wasn't one of his best performances.
Ayite 6.5- Some good work leading up to our first goal but thought he was the worst of our attacking 3 today. That being said he didn't have a bad game and caused Norwich problems.
Kebano 7- Tough to call but think he was the best off the attacking 3. Should have bagged a goal after some great skill in the corner led to him hitting the post and second half their right back couldn't deal with his tricks.

Odoi 6- Was brought on to deal with Wildschut but Wildschut was taken off shortly after so he didn't have as much work as Sess did. Still was more solid than Sess and looked energetic/enthusiastic (Which may have led to a couple of misplaced passes)
Cisse 6.5- Looked solid when he came on and defensively looked stronger than Norwood did, Didn't have much time to judge him but made some decent interceptions.
Kamara 7.5- Thought he looked very impressive when he came on. His great speed led to him being played in behind twice, looked useful on the ball, made intelligent runs and looked very strong.
STH H3

wheelerdeeler

Think the injuries in Pre-Season caught up with us as the game progressed. Cairney was on fumes for the last 15 Minutes. Think Norwich will be right up there this season, so a point isn't a bad result by any means.We definitely need a Striker, Left-Back and Centre-Back in before September as a minimum.

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on August 05, 2017, 06:58:01 PM
Very disappointing IMO.

Norwich had more possession, more shots, more shots on target and lots of chances and thoroughly deserved at least a point despite us being the home team.

They're a good team but of the 46 games we play this season, about 20 of them will be just as difficult as today. With the lack of guile and energy we showed in the second half, we won't be winning any of those games.

Accordingly I'm not currently expecting a top 6 finish.

Sessegnon was well out of his depth, awful frankly, and Norwood looks a poor substitute for McDonald, who we need back asap.

Kamara showed pace but little else. No skill, composure, aerial ability or threat from around the edge of the 18 yard box. He might make a good impact sub but doesn't look like a starting XI player, not an upgrade on Martin.

It's one game so I could be wrong And hope I am.

He did show skill, Cut back twice leaving the Norwich defender on the floor before blasting into the side netting, his long shot from 30 yards that nearly went in shows he has that in his locker too
I was very imrpessed with Kamara. Only thing can fault is his aerial ability and composure but to be honest poor composure may be down to over enthusiasm on his debut.
STH H3

Neil D

Quote from: @jolslover on August 05, 2017, 07:01:18 PM
He did show skill, Cut back twice leaving the Norwich defender on the floor before blasting into the side netting, his long shot from 30 yards that nearly went in shows he has that in his locker too
I was very imrpessed with Kamara. Only thing can fault is his aerial ability and composure but to be honest poor composure may be down to over enthusiasm on his debut.
I agree with all of this -except for the comment on the aerial ability.  I don't recall many opportunities to put this to the test in his 30 mins...

Carborundum

Thought we were much as we were in the second half of last season.  More porous than last season, but I'd put that down to no McDonald.  We can cut through teams like a knife through butter, but were a bit soft. 

Hits

Frederick, Button, Johansen,  Kalas, Kamara (there's a current video on the BBC website of a rhino on a tarmac road that he reminded me of)

Misses

Sessegnon / Kebano right side defensive duties

Norwood's defensive abilities - he's not proactive enough to cover the fullbacks and we were too open

The person who thought it was a good idea to turn the sprinklers on at half time despite it raining heavily.  For five to ten minutes the ball didn't run properly and the players had to adapt.  The game, our team and the paying spectators lost out.  Bit of common sense please.

FinFFC

Quote from: Statto on August 05, 2017, 06:58:01 PM
Very disappointing IMO.

Norwich had more possession, more shots, more shots on target and lots of chances and thoroughly deserved at least a point despite us being the home team.

They're a good team but of the 46 games we play this season, about 20 of them will be just as difficult as today. With the lack of guile and energy we showed in the second half, we won't be winning any of those games.

Accordingly I'm not currently expecting a top 6 finish.

Sessegnon was well out of his depth, awful frankly, and Norwood looks a poor substitute for McDonald, who we need back asap.

Kamara showed pace but little else. No skill, composure, aerial ability or threat from around the edge of the 18 yard box. He might make a good impact sub but doesn't look like a starting XI player, not an upgrade on Martin.

It's one game so I could be wrong And hope I am.

You must have watched a different match than I did... I think you should lower your expectations as it seems you would only be happy if we trash other teams 6-0, with our players running circles around the opposition for fun while scoring from every occasion.

WayneKerrins

Stef Jo was running on empty for last 20 as was Aluko. Cairney was out on his feet but that's understandable. Norwich looked fitter and for that you have to query why?

the nutflush

We tried too many flashy passes in the last 20 minutes resulting in cheap turnovers.  We play some breath taking football but its no use if you don't put it in the net.  We had many chance but lacked the finishing quality.  I think Kamara will score  a lot for us this season.

It is not a complete disaster because its a long season and its only round one. 

I am disappointed we let Malone go.  Sess needs to play up the pitch.  I hope the idiots that made the decision to let him go can see the error now.

I feel the man that gave up the points for us was the gaffer.  They were poorly timed subs and changed the pattern of the game. 

Button saved us from giving up all three.  He was MOTM without a doubt.  Get off his back everyone. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: the nutflush on August 06, 2017, 12:34:42 AM
We tried too many flashy passes in the last 20 minutes resulting in cheap turnovers.  We play some breath taking football but its no use if you don't put it in the net.  We had many chance but lacked the finishing quality.  I think Kamara will score  a lot for us this season.

It is not a complete disaster because its a long season and its only round one. 

I am disappointed we let Malone go.  Sess needs to play up the pitch.  I hope the idiots that made the decision to let him go can see the error now.

I feel the man that gave up the points for us was the gaffer.  They were poorly timed subs and changed the pattern of the game. 

Button saved us from giving up all three.  He was MOTM without a doubt.  Get off his back everyone. 

Yes in my book also, David Button was Man of the Match. ⚽️👍1️⃣🙌
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

New Kid on the Block

Well, I seem to be in a different camp to many people. I thought Norwood played very well, and, given time, will, IMO, go a long way in filling KMac's boots. He's not KMac, of course, but I don't think we need to worry too much, if KMac is injured this season, or worse, moves somewhere else.

I still can't see how people think that Cisse is better than Norwood. I think we were more exposed at the back when Norwood went off, and I think Slav made a mistake in doing that. Having said that, if we draw games that we would have lost last season, we should be right up there at the end of the season.

colinwhite

Scraping a draw at home ? we were in front in the second half until the 88th minute,so how you make that out to be us scraping a Lucky draw I will never know. If you werent impressed with Norwood or some of our footboll there really isnt much point in discussing  the game, as we clearly see things very differently!

Robbie

Championship seasons often start slowly.
Results for the top clubs across the board were lacklustre yesterday.
Judge FFC when we are 5 games in ..
The trick in the early season (first 10) is to be Top 6-8 ... and to LOSE the stupid cup matches ASAP !

New Kid on the Block

To whom are you referring, colinwhite?

tommy

It was a strange pre season, which I don't think we got enough quality games squeezed in on. For me the team showed that. Not enough football played so looked tired and a bit out of sorts.