watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Booing & Moaning

Started by BedsFFC, August 25, 2017, 11:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

I have just heard that there was more booing on Tuesday.

I also heard that some booed Matt O'Reilly.

I can't put what I really want to say on the matter but I pity people whose life is so empty that they feel the need to boo players, especially a 16 year old.

I'm a chairman of a club and go and watch our young teams. Everyone says its great...apart from the people on the sidelines, who constantly moan.

Its no surprise that most people that moan have never really played the game. People that have played to a high level know why mistakes are made and the first reaction is always sympathy as we know why it went wrong and what they were trying.

I hate booing and I hate the whinging on here from some.

If I am at a game and I hear booing I will BOO you. I'll try and get about another 200 idiots to join me and all BOO YOU. I imagine you will crumble.

Yes, it annoys me

Marcel_Gecov

Andy S

Totally agree. It does nothing for any players confidence. You also create a fear of losing which does not enhance a players game. I never boo but I was there in the days when there was a distinct possibility that there would not be a club to support

Lighthouse

I have posted something on booing on another thread. But while I have never been brave enough to boo. I have at times thrown out the odd 'advice' to the team, in the days when I could afford a ticket. I had a season ticket for decades but can no longer afford one as the relative price has gone up so much.  Players earn lots of money and when they do well are praised to such extremes they are treated as stars and cheered and loved.

When they do well and some sad people like me  find results affecting their moods until next match. When they have traveled hundreds of miles to get there and paid huge amounts for travel. When everything is going fine it is all worth it.

But when it isn't. When the perception goes from 'great effort' to 'you're not very good and you don't care'. From 'we're proud of you' to 'never again'.

Then I think fans have a right to express their disgruntled feelings. However old the player is. Yes I agree the cruelty of some of the chants is wrong. But hey, some posters have had worse on these pages. So moaning is a part of the game. If you can't take the moaning, then don't enjoy the cheers and the positive chants and being treated like a lord. Get off the pitch and find something else to do.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

King_Crud

hovewhite

Its something i prefer not to do and dont,i understand people have a right as there paying customers plus pro footballers are very well paid.

Mince n Tatties

Nothing to beat a good booing and a moan,just ask my other half....Booooooooooooooooo

SuffolkWhite

I agree fans have the right to Boo, but wish our fans would sing more and support the team vocally especially when they could do with a lift.

The away games of course are normally better, Norwich away last season etc gave the players a lift. Funny our away form is better, maybe there's a twelfth man on the road!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

_Putney_

The odd booing wouldn't stand out so much if the majority weren't sat there in silence.

Grumpy Worthing White

Every time I see the word Booing I keep thinking of the old Lobo single Me and You and a Dog Named...........BOOOOOOOOO!.

SuffolkWhite

As the saying goes " You can only please some of the people some of the time and not all the people all the time"!

Some people are like the news, mainly pessimistic and will always moan and BOOOOOOOO. I guess that's life.

The Cottage needs an injection of energy though, the last game Sheff W sang most the time and our fans did nothing. Well the fellers up the back of the Hammy give it a go to be fair.

See what happened there I moaned lol.

COYW  049:gif
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Twig

I really don't see what there is to boo about.  Yes we've lost a couple on the bounce but booing is aimed at the players and expresses outright dissatisfaction with their performance.  Sorry, but some need to get a life if they think that is deserved or appropriate.  The players want to win, Joka wants to win and the Khans have provided some backing in the transfer window - get behind them all, support them instead of moaning and booing.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Twig on August 25, 2017, 12:59:14 PM
I really don't see what there is to boo about.  Yes we've lost a couple on the bounce but booing is aimed at the players and expresses outright dissatisfaction with their performance.  Sorry, but some need to get a life if they think that is deserved or appropriate.  The players want to win, Joka wants to win and the Khans have provided some backing in the transfer window - get behind them all, support them instead of moaning and booing.

:plus one:
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Sgt Fulham

I find it odd, really. The time to boo is when there is a perceived lack of effort and commitment from the players, for example in our relegation season when we lost to Sheffield United in the cup, or most other games that season. That's when it's an insult to the fans who pay good money to follow their team. What is not the right time to boo is after 2 losses, one with an untested side brimming with youth. Not only does it knock their confidence, it is ridiculous and not justified. We can't and won't win every game. You pay knowing full well that you may lose. That's life,get over it.

Regarding the atmosphere I was once told off by another fan for cheering and singing too loudly...

MJG

Spoke about this last night on Cottage Talk. There has always been booing ever since I first started going in the late 70's.
But it used to be for the really bad performance or result. Not when its 0-0 at HT in a game against a side that should be us in the playoffs positions.

Its something thats creeped in over last 10 years where your dissatisfaction at any little thing has to result in a boo.
Expectations are so high, or not even expectations, the demand is so high that every game, every half,every shot is a do or die event. 16 year olds are not given benefit of the doubt and players who have a bad 30 mins are thrown in the rubbish pile.
Like a lot of things in society patience is disappearing. We must have it NOW. I want it NOW. Produce the goods NOW.
This is one of the reasons I think we hear booing more now, we all have our ways of sounding off and complaining and this how many do it at a football ground.
Just the views of a long term fan

bog

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 25, 2017, 11:42:38 AM

I can't put what I really want to say on the matter but I pity people whose life is so empty that they feel the need to boo players, especially a 16 year old.

I'm a chairman of a club and go and watch our young teams. Everyone says its great...apart from the people on the sidelines, who constantly moan.

Its no surprise that most people that moan have never really played the game. People that have played to a high level know why mistakes are made and the first reaction is always sympathy as we know why it went wrong and what they were trying.

If I am at a game and I hear booing I will BOO you. I'll try and get about another 200 idiots to join me and all BOO YOU. I imagine you will crumble.

Yes, it annoys me

+1 and a very annoyed one. O'Reilly is real prospect so don't get on his back!!!! I wonder if the same would have booed Johnny Haynes in his early games? Bog off! 

aaronmcguigan

If you don't support us when we lose 1-0 to Bristol Rovers, you don't deserve to support us when we draw 0-0 to Ipswich

SuffolkWhite

Said before the Championship is a tough division and hard to get out of, so we need to back the team even if they are under par IMO.

The League Cup tbh this season was to test players out, and yes we lost but it maybe a blessing in disguise.

Just feel we need to be behind the team when the proverbial hits the fan, and if we end up fighting relegation and we want to show our collective unhappiness then boooo if you must. But how that helps the team god knows.

The Great escape season is remembered by several for the togetherness, it's a shame that we can't be like that now.

"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

RaySmith

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 25, 2017, 11:42:38 AM

I'm a chairman of a club and go and watch our young teams. Everyone says its great...apart from the people on the side-lines, who constantly moan.

Yes, it annoys me
0001.jpeg

I also refer people to Mike's, MJG's, and the other guest's,  views on the matter on the latest Cottage Talk podcast, which I also agree with.

BedsFFC

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on August 25, 2017, 02:22:46 PM
Said before the Championship is a tough division and hard to get out of, so we need to back the team even if they are under par IMO.

The League Cup tbh this season was to test players out, and yes we lost but it maybe a blessing in disguise.

Just feel we need to be behind the team when the proverbial hits the fan, and if we end up fighting relegation and we want to show our collective unhappiness then boooo if you must. But how that helps the team god knows.

The Great escape season is remembered by several for the togetherness, it's a shame that we can't be like that now.

V good point and I think that spirit is a major reason Brighton are now in Premiership