https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (14/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 14, 2010, 07:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213077
Fulham - A Few Dembele Thoughts!
A brace against Wolves has seen Moussa Dembele hit the top of the Fulham Premier League scoring chart for the season so far.

But, with Bobby Zamora sidelined for a minimum of four months, there was a feeling of shock amongst the squad.

Dembele, speaking to the media after the win, spoke for the whole squad when he remarked,

"It was a shock to the whole squad."

"We are upset because he is one of our most important players and to lose him is going to be hard for us."

It is, with the transfer window closed we`re going to have to make do with what we`ve got and it may mean a readjustment, position wise, for some of our more attacking players.

Mark Hughes may be forced to play Dembele alongside Clint Dempsey until other options are available. It`s something though that the Belgian international feels can work, when he further commented,

"I played very well with Clint and we seem to have a good under-standing. We divided the work between us, it worked well and I`m sure it would again."

"I can play as a central striker."

Before returning to that last gasp winner, from a free kick he wasn`t to be taking, explaining,

"Some of the guys said I should so I went for it. I`m glad I did."

We`re certainly glad you did, otherwise we`d be staring down at a table that shows us as having drawn all four games, instead, we are looking at a far healthier table and one that shows us on six points from four games.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213077#ixzz0zU2KNpRy

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/09/13/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer
DEMBELE FEELS ZAMORA'S PAIN

Mousa Dembele admits it will be a tough ask for Fulham to battle on without injured star man Bobby Zamora, but has vowed to help carry his share of the workload in attack.

Zamora was carried off on a stretcher in the first half of Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Wolves at Craven Cottage after his ankle buckled under a robust challenge from Wolves midfielder Karl Henry, who has sent his sympathies to the England striker.

It was a major blow for both player and team alike, with Zamora's impressive leading of the Fulham attack having earned the 29-year-old full international honours.

Zamora has undergone surgery to repair a fractured fibula as well as ligament damage, but the player looks set for a prolonged spell on the sidelines.

Dembele - whose double, including a dramatic injury-time free-kick, secured victory over Wolves - admits Zamora is a big loss.

"In the dressing room, for me personally, I was in shock," the Belgian youngster said.

"Bobby is one of the most important players in the team and to lose him to injury is very hard for us. It is not going to be easy for us now."

With Andrew Johnson still several weeks from a first-team return following his battle with a knee injury, Dembele looks set to become a key member of the Fulham attack.

The £5million summer signing from AZ Alkmaar has impressed since his arrival at Craven Cottage, and manager Mark Hughes hopes the 23-year-old can help fill the void left by Zamora's enforced absence.

Dembele added on the club's official website, fulhamfc.com: "I will play wherever the manager wants me to play.

"We have a lot of players that can play up front and behind the attack. Against Wolves, Clint Dempsey and I split the work.

"It was important for us to keep playing our own game. We have the players to play nice football.

"All the big teams play their football and the other teams have to adapt - we should also do that."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/13/fulham-keeper-david-stockdale-steps-up-recovery-from-injury-82029-27259982/?
Fulham keeper David Stockdale steps up recovery from injury

DAVID Stockdale is set to return to action in the next two weeks.

The Fulham keeper has been sidelined with an ankle injury which kept him out of Saturday's win against Wolves.

But the August player of the month could be back by the end of the month.

Boss Mark Hughes said: "We're hoping David will be able to do some light ball work this week."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213076
Fulham - It Wasn`t Malicious?
With Bobby Zamora having had surgery on his broken leg, all we can do is sit and wait out the long months before he returns to the fold.

Unfortunately, it`s never nice to see a player writhing in agony and then having to be carried off on a stretcher and in the heat of the moment, tempers can flare up.

On Saturday it looked as if words were exchanged between Clint Dempsey and Karl Henry, the person who committed the tackle.

Afterwards, clearly painted as the villain of the peace, Karl Henry, rightfully, tried to clear the air, remarking to the tabloid press,

"It was disappointing that a few of them were trying to have a go at me."

"They were fine until they realised how badly hurt he was, which was a load of rubbish because I would never do anything to hurt anybody."

"It was disappointing. I was having a go at Clint and he was having a go at me. I don`t want to hear form another professional that I have gone out to do somebody."

"That wasn`t the case. I am sure if you have seen it, it was a fair tackle and I have tried to win the ball."

"I am sorry I have done any damage to him because that is the last thing I would have wanted."

"I know Bobby, we have the same agent and played together for the England U21`s. I would never go out to hurt anyone, let alone him."

What`s your verdict?

Was it a bad tackle or was Bobby just unfortunate in the way it turned out?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213076#ixzz0zU3EJoMW

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213075
Fulham - Eddie Johnson Loan Move?
Before Bobby Zamora picked up his horrific injury I`d have had no qualms about letting Eddie Johnson go out on loan.

Indeed, with Crystal Palace apparently quite keen to take him out on loan, I`d have jumped at the chance of letting the lad get some regular football.

Now though, circumstances may have changed.

Suddenly with Bobby Zamora joining Andrew Johnson on the injured list, we`re lacking up front when it comes to bodies.

Having seen Erik Nevland return to Norway at the end of last season and with having only signed the excellent Moussa Dembele, am I not alone in fearing that another injury could leave us startlingly short up front?

What`s your verdict, should we let Eddie Johnson go or should we hang onto him at least until the January transfer window?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213075#ixzz0zU3RSwGO

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6375260,00.html?
Dembele laments Zamora loss
But new Belgian striker vows to fill the void for Fulham

Moussa Dembele admits it will be a tough ask for Fulham to battle on without star man Bobby Zamora.

The England striker was stretchered off during Saturday's 2-1 win over Wolves and is set to be out for four months after undergoing surgery to repair a fractured fibula as well as ligament damage.

It was a major blow for both player and team, with Zamora's impressive leading of the Fulhamattack having earned the 29-year-old an international debut last month.

And despite recently joining from AZ Alkmaar,Dembele is well aware of Zamora's importance to the team.

Shock
"In the dressing room, for me personally, I was in shock," he told the club's official website.

"Bobby is one of the most important players in the team and to lose him to injury is very hard for us. It is not going to be easy for us now."

However, Dembele has vowed to help the Cottagers fill the void left by Zamora's absence - just as he did by scoring both goals on Saturday, which included a stoppage-time free-kick.

The Belgium international has impressed since his £5million move to Craven Cottage and with Andrew Johnson (knee) still several weeks from a first-team return, he looks set to become a key member of Mark Hughes' frontline.

Nice football
And the 23-year-old striker feels Fulham have the right blend of attacking talents to continue to pose their Premier League rivals problems.

"I will play wherever the manager wants me to play," Dembele added.

"We have a lot of players that can play up front and behind the attack. Against Wolves, Clint Dempsey and I split the work.

"It was important for us to keep playing our own game. We have the players to play nicefootball.

"All the big teams play their football and the other teams have to adapt - we should also do that."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/stockdale-is-the-fans-favourite/?
Stockdale is the fans' favourite
by TOR on SEPTEMBER 13, 2010

For August anyway. Congratulations to David Stockdale, the first player to receive the Player of the Month Award for the 2010/11 season. And very well deserved it is too. I've made no secret of how impressed I've been with the performances Stockdale has put in so far this season, and neither has the Fulham Faithful singing England's Number One on a few occasions now.

Stockdale's first opportunity to shine in the absence of Mark Schwarzer was a well-saved penalty at Brentford – one of the few times he got anywhere near the ball – but the real test came on the opening day of the Premier League when we travelled up to the Reebok. A rare league appearance for Stockdale, and a clean sheet away from home. Good start. Another penalty saved against the might of Man United and some quite acrobatic saves meant the boy did himself proud. Blackpool at the end of August was full of mixed fortunes – another fine display between the sticks but David sustained an injury in the second half, which has since kept him out of not only the Fulham starting XI but also, potentially, the England squad for the Euro 2010 qualifying campaign. This award may be scant consolation for the opportunities missed but hopefully the fans' appreciation will count for something.

In his interview with the Offal, Stockdale admits he was surprised to win the award but he's looking to come back fighting (ish);

I'm definitely surprised I won the Player of the Month Award and hopefully now I can get fit and push Mark [Schwarzer] for his First Team place. He's a great goalkeeper so I can't push my luck and I'll cover him until my opportunity comes around again.

I waited two years for my chance to come so it was really disappointing to get injured but the fans know they've got someone behind Mark now.

He certainly is a decent substitute. With only Schwarzer and Stockdale named in the 25 man squad, injuries to either leave us a little vulnerable so it's good to hear that Stockdale should be back in time for the Everton game at the end of September. As I've said before, I hope he gets plenty of game-time this season.

Well done David!

Congratulations are also due to Moussa Dembélé and Brede Hangeland who came second and third respectively.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/striker-dembele-vows-fill-loss-fulham's-zamora-1113021?
Striker Dembele vows to fill the loss of Fulham's Zamora

Moussa Dembele is prepared to fill the void left by Fulham star Bobby Zamora who is set to be out for four months after undergoing surgery to repair a fractured fibula as well as ligament damage.

And despite recently joining from AZ Alkmaar, Dembele is well aware of Zamora's importance to the team.

"In the dressing room, for me personally, I was in shock," he told the club's official website.

However, Dembele has vowed to help the Cottagers - just as he did by scoring both goals on Saturday, which included a stoppage-time free-kick.

The Belgium international has impressed since his £5million move to Craven Cottage and looks set to become a key member of Mark Hughes' frontline.

And the 23-year-old striker feels Fulham have the right blend of attacking talents to continue to pose their Premier League rivals problems.

"I will play wherever the manager wants me to play," Dembele added.

"It was important for us to keep playing our own game. We have the players to play nice football.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1311763/Wolves-bad-boys-hit-75k-fine-collecting-14-yellows-Premier-League-games.html?
Wolves bad boys hit with £75k fine after collecting 14 yellows in two Premier League games

Wolves have been fined £75,000 by the FA after collecting 14 yellow cards in their last two games. 

Wolves picked up seven in the 1-1 draw against Newcastle United and another seven, including two for the sent-off Christophe Berra, in last  weekend's 2-1 defeat at Fulham.   

The FA fines clubs £25,000 for having six or more cautions in one match and £50,000 for a second offence.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1311763/Wolves-bad-boys-hit-75k-fine-collecting-14-yellows-Premier-League-games.html?#ixzz0zU57iGgz

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/dembele-speaks-sense/?
Dembele speaks sense
by TOR on SEPTEMBER 13, 2010

Not only is he wowing everyone with his skills on the pitch, but Moussa Dembele comes across as a thoroughly nice chap in interviews too. Following his brace which ensured all three points for Fulham on Saturday, there are interviews with our new striker in the Daily Star and on the Offal.

In the Star Dembele speaks about Bobby's injury and how it'll be a struggle without him, but he seems willing and eager to play, even if it means playing out of position while Bobby's away;

I can play in that position. I wouldn't say it is my favourite, but I can play there.
My favourite position is in midfield, either just behind the striker or on the wings. Wherever the  manager plays me, I will do my best.

But it's what he said about Saturday's game that made me smile;

It was not an easy game against Wolves but you could see we were the better team. We just had to finish it and thankfully we did. It's normal in football to have a battle and our match against Blackpool was a similar game – they were both very physical matches.

It was a good game on Saturday and it was important for us to keep playing our own game. We have the players to play nice football. All the big teams play their football and the other teams have to adapt – we should also do that.

Nice football. I like the sound of that.

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/on-henrys-unnecessary-tackle.html?
On Henry's "unnecessary" tackle
By: timmyg | September 13th, 2010

I was hoping to avoid this contentious issue, but several commenters wondered why I labeled the tackle as "unnecessary".

So rather than bury it as a comment in one thread I felt it deserved it's own post.

By "unnecessary" I mean that hypothetically why is Henry making that lunge to begin with?

It was a clean tackle that got the ball but had dire consequences, yes. But just because it was clean, it doesn't mean it should have been made in the first place. Henry should have been in a better position when Zamora first receives the pass from Murphy. Go here and watch the highlights as a separate window. Be sure to stop the tape at the 10-second mark.

First: Henry is caught in no man's land and left Zamora a good five yeards behind him as both he and Mancienne step up to play Murphy. Surely one of them was supposed to drop back and cover our best player? Right?

Second: the tackle is made a good 10 yards from the top of the box and about 3 yards away from Bobby's 4-o'clock position. Look at the distance Henry covered in his lunge — I could have sworn he was sliding into home plate for the game winning run with the throw from the cutoff on the way. Henry was beat and obviously tried to make amends.

Third: even though Henry was beat, there are three players (Foley, Craddock, and Berra) covering for him within close proximity at the top of the box. Had he been beaten as the last man, and it was a last ditch, goal-saving tackle I could see why the lunge was necessary. But any one of the defenders could have stepped and closed down Zamora.

So, as far as I am concerned, it was unnecessary.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/stockdale-delighted-fulham-progress-1113821?
Stockdale delighted with Fulham progress

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale has been named the club's Player of the Month for August.

Stockdale has been a revelation for Fulham this season.

He told fulhamfc.com: "I waited two years for my chance to come so it was really disappointing to get injured but the fans know they've got someone behind Mark (Schwarzer) now.

"I got injured after 60 minutes against Blackpool but I didn't want to come off. It was mentally tough out there with the injury but I just wanted to carry on and show determination.

"The injury is a lot better and we're hoping I'll be back in full training in ten days time. I'm aiming to be back on the bench for the Everton game.

"Unfortunately it's meant I've had to sit out a few games but they said it would have been about the same time if I'd come off anyway."

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Andy-Johnson-is-eyeing-a-return-to-action-in-October-after-an-injury-hit-12-months-article578799.html
Fulham's Johnson targets October return

Andrew Johnson is targeting a return to action next month to end a hellish year he has labelled "the worst of my life".

The England striker played only 13 games last season as shoulder and groin injuries forced him out of the club's Europa League final run.

Now, with fellow Fulham forward Bobby Zamora ruled out for up to six months with a broken leg, Johnson has revealed he is finally approaching a return to fitness.

"I've done everything I can to make sure I haven't lost any speed," said the £10.5m striker.

"I've worked on my glutes, my hamstrings and my core strength - everything that gives me pace. Of course, we'll see when I get out there, but I'm confident I can be as fast as I've ever been.

"If it's the end of September, October, or whenever, that's when it is, but I can see the light now."

Meanwhile, defender Chris Baird, who is out of contract at the end of the season, is set to sign a new deal at Fulham this week.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Andy-Johnson-is-eyeing-a-return-to-action-in-October-after-an-injury-hit-12-months-article578799.html#ixzz0zU6ednsR

WhiteJC

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/09/13/opportunity-knocks-again-for-zoltan-gera-and-andy-johnson-at-ful/
Opportunity Knocks Again for Zoltan Gera and Andy Johnson at Fulham

t is impossible not to feel sorry for Fulham's Bobby Zamora, who has suffered a cruel injury setback after emerging as one of the country's finest forwards.

He was once the butt of the jokes told on the terraces of his own club, with his poor scoring record the source of the fans' frustration.

But last season he proved his doubters wrong with a return of 19 goals in all competitions.

Such was his transformation, that he was rewarded with a call up to Fabio Capello's England squad.

He then resurrected his reputation on the international stage, with a fine display against Hungary at Wembley last month, albeit in a friendly match.

A thigh injury ruled him out for further selection for England's double header against Bulgaria and Switzerland, while he now faces a long spell on the sidelines with a broken ankle.

The moment Zamora hit the floor after a challenge from Wolverhampton' midfielder Karl Henry, it was apparent was seriously wrong as he writhed in agony before being treated.

Zamora has since undergone an operation to reset the bone while the surgeon also discovered and repaired some ligament damage. Although the procedure was hailed as a success, Zamora still faces at least four months out of action.

While Fulham will miss him badly, it does throw open the door to two players who have been on the outside looking in - for vastly different reasons.

First, there is the possibility that Zoltan Gera will be able to show manager Mark Hughes that he is good enough to grace the Premier League.

Eyebrows were raised when former manager Roy Hodgson signed the forward from West Brom in 2008. It was expected he would be no more than a squad player. but he was one of the club's unsung heroes last season with some excellent and crucial goals in the Europa League.

Gera is struggling to establish himself in Hughes's team, though, with Moussa Dembele and Zamora employed as his first choice strike pairing and the Hungarian having to be content with starting on the bench before going on with only a handful of minutes remaining.

He is a different player to the more powerful Zamora, of course, And, if Hughes has to change tactics until his first choice striker is available again. the versatile Gera is the type of player who could be moulded to form a new look Fulham attack.

And then there is the forgotten man: the club's record signing; Andy Johnson. The former Everton forward cost Fulham a fee believed to be around £10.5 million, yet his career at Craven Cottage has been limited due to ongoing injury problems.

His last appearance was in January against Blackburn, but after eight months out he is closing in on a return to action. That news will be welcome for Fulham supporters, although they have heard it before when it was suggested he would be fit for the start of the new season.

However, should Johnson prove his fitness, he would be welcomed back into the squad with open arms. While Dembele has enjoyed an excellent start to his career, he is still adjusting to the Premier League, so Johnson's experience could prove vital.

Hughes has hinted Johnson could be fit in time to make Fulham's match with Tottenham next month and if he is closing on on his comeback, it will certainly soften the blow of losing Zamora.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/09/football-news/bobby-zamora-op-shows-ligament-damage
BOBBY ZAMORA OP SHOWS LIGAMENT DAMAGE

Fulham's England international striker Bobby Zamora has undergone surgery on the leg injury sustained in Saturday's 2-1 win over Wolves at Craven Cottage.

The 29-year-old is facing at least four months out of action, with the surgeon also having to repair ligament damage to Zamora's right ankle, just below his fractured fibula.

A statement on the club's official website confirmed:"This morning (Sunday) Bobby Zamora underwent an operation on the injury sustained in Saturday's match against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"The operation was viewed as successful by the surgeon and the fracture to the fibula was repaired – ligament damage was also discovered and repaired during the operation."

Meanwhile, Cottagers boss Mark Hughes has backed Moussa Dembele to help cover for the absence of Zamora, after the Belgium international scored both goals against Wolves.

He said:"We hope Moussa can get the goals – there's a big onus on him now that Bobby's gone.

"He'll get good support from the guys around him and that will help him become the success we think he will be.

"The beauty of Moussa is that he can play in a number of positions. That's the attraction from my point of view, because I like players who have that flexibility."

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Chris-Baird-is-set-to-sign-a-new-contract-with-the-club-article579005.html
Fulham to tie down defender to new deal

Fulham defender Chris Baird will sign a new contract at the West London club on Tuesday.

Mark Hughes has been keen to keep the defender at the club since his arrival and a deal is now in place.

Baird has only made one substitute appearance in the Premier League this year, coming on for the second half against Wolves on Saturday.

The Northern Ireland international's current deal at Craven Cottage expires at the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Chris-Baird-is-set-to-sign-a-new-contract-with-the-club-article579005.html#ixzz0zU7qxGsO

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/14/moussa-dembele-tipped-to-star-for-fulham-in-bobby-zamora-s-absence-82029-27258783/?
Moussa Dembele tipped to star for Fulham in Bobby Zamora's absence

MOUSSA Dembele will score the goals crocked team-mate Bobby Zamora can't, according to Stephen Kelly.

The Fulham frontman will be sidelined for at least four months after sustaining a broken leg in Saturday's win against Wolves.

But Dembele stepped up to the plate to bag a second-half double to fire Mark Hughes's men to their first Premier League win of the campaign.

And Kelly insists the Belgian international can fill the void left by Zamora's absence.

He said: "We're all gutted for Bobby. It's a massive blow, he's been massive for us last year and this season already.

"Moussa scored two great goals - he seems to be on fire. He's a very good technical player, good on the ball and keeps it really well.

"I really think he's going to be a big star for us this season."

WhiteJC

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_4397_club-focus-fulham-cottagers’-victory-over-wolves-a-victory-for-football-but-at-what-cost.html?
Club Focus - Fulham - Cottagers' victory over Wolves a victory for football, but at what cost?

As victories go, they tend not to get much tougher than Fulham's on Saturday. That Mark Hughes managed to lead his side to a win despite 90 plus minutes full of tactical fouls is testament to his winning mentality and his players' never-say-die attitude.

In the end, football was the winner as Moussa Dembele's double eventually put an end to Wolverhampton Wanderers' stubborn - and certainly calculated - resistance, but the overriding memory of the match will be of Bobby Zamora's five-to six-month injury lay-off that will force Hughes into a rethink of his season strategy. The 29-year-old had capped off a remarkable career turnaround with a recent debut for his country, but he will now be forced into a long period of rehabilitation from arguably an avoidable incident.

It would be unfair to blame Karl Henry for setting out to hurt Zamora, but the danger of tackling from such an angle, especially when one leg is always going through the opponent's, reared its ugly head in that incident at the weekend. Most of the time, such tackles are deemed reckless and the player in question is cautioned - as Brede Hangeland was late on for a similar offence - but in truth there were far more obvious examples from the visitors of tactical and unnecessary fouling that showed their aim on Saturday was to stop the footballing side from playing their own game.

For the first-half it was effective, with Fulham being unable to get into their flow due to often needless fouls disrupting any sign of an attack. The home fans' frustration was first vented towards the referee, Phil Dowd, for his failure to award the first of two very good penalty shouts, and eventually turned to the visiting players after the constant infringements did not cease. The final incident that infuriated the Cottage faithful was Henry's returning of the ball to his own goalkeeper after Hangeland had been down injured. Marcus Hahnemann put it straight out of play, but the intent had been clear from the Wolves skipper.

It was at the interval where the home side needed to regroup, and with the help of their new manager did just that. The Welshman managed to refocus his team's frustration and channel it towards grinding out a justified result. By the end, no one could argue the Whites did not deserve the points as they managed to combine several times in the attacking department, thanks largely to Danny Murphy's distribution, Dembele's direct running and Zoltan Gera's roaming. Ultimately, it was Wolves' own tactics that proved their undoing, as Christophe Berra's sending off for two blatant, and certainly needless, fouls resulted in the free-kick that Dembele converted for the last-minute winner. Had Berra let his man past in each incident, his fellow defenders would most likely have stopped the attack - perhaps even fairly - but Fulham were not about to turn down the late gift.

A big part of the second-half turnaround for Fulham was Hughes' substitution strategy. While his predecessor, Roy Hodgson, may well have kept John Paintsil on the pitch to redeem himself after his dreadful first-half, Hughes has that ruthless streak that was very much needed in a game such as this. Tactical substitutions are a big part of the Welshman's management style, and the introduction of Chris Baird shored up the right-hand side of the defence where Wolves were getting joy in the first-half. Furthermore, where Hodgson may have looked to accept it was not his day and bring on a substitute to protect the point, the former Manchester City boss instead replaced Clint Dempsey with a recognised striker, Eddie Johnson, whose pace and power in the last 10 minutes won the last-gasp free-kick. While the American can surely only hope to be a bit-part player at best, Hughes' recognition of what he and his teammates can bring from the bench could prove vital for the Whites to turn draws into victories as the season goes on. This modern, constructive use of the bench has instilled positivity in Fulham's players, and however close the final whistle came on Saturday, they always looked confident of picking up all three points.

That attitude will be imperative if the massive loss of Zamora is not to affect the season's ambitions. It will take Dempsey, Dembele and Gera et al to keep working together as they did in Saturday's second half. If they do, then Zamora might just have a hunt for Europe to join in with when he eventually returns. Without doubt, however, the squad is weaker without their talisman.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6375978,00.html?
Johnson eyes Fulham return
Striker working hard to keep pace

Forgotten Fulham striker Andrew Johnson is targeting a return to action next month after an injury-plagued last 12 months.

Johnson made only 13 appearances last season after struggling with shoulder and groin problems.

The former Everton and Crystal Palace is determined to get back to fitness and he is hopeful of returning to action in the next few weeks.

"I've done everything I can to make sure I haven't lost any speed," Johnson told the Daily Mirror.

Confident

"I've worked on my glutes, my hamstrings and my core strength - everything that gives me pace. Of course, we'll see when I get out there, but I'm confident I can be as fast as I've ever been.
"If it's the end of September, October, or whenever, that's when it is, but I can see the light now."

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has confirmed Johnson is making good progress with his fitness and should be available for selection in October.

"Andy should be back in four weeks," Hughes told the Fulham Chronicle.

Johnson's return will come as a massive boost for Hughes with Bobby Zamora ruled out until next year after breaking his leg against Wolves on Saturday

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/BairdNewContract.aspx?
Baird Signs New Deal

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce that Chris Baird has signed a new contract with the Club – keeping the player at Craven Cottage until at least the summer of 2013.

The defender joined Fulham from Southampton in the summer of 2007 and enjoyed an exceptional season with the Club last year, excelling in defence and midfield throughout Fulham's domestic and European campaigns.

Baird made over 50 appearances for the Whites during the 2009/10 season and played an integral part in some truly historic victories, over the likes of Manchester United, FC Basel, Liverpool, CSKA Sofia, Shakhtar Donetsk and Juventus.

Last weekend Baird made his first appearance of the season under Mark Hughes. The Northern Irish international was introduced at half-time before Fulham fought their way back against Wolves to record a 2-1 victory at the Cottage that fired the Club into sixth place in the Barclays Premier League.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/BairdNewContract.aspx?#ixzz0zVAd1X7Z