watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Were Our Summer Dealings Good Enough

Started by filham, October 24, 2017, 03:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

We are now well into the season and we have to ask ourselves why are we not producing the performances and results that we did in the second half of last season.

The answer, in my opinion, is quite simply that we have been without Cairney, Malone and Aluko, three quality players from last season's team who would have made the difference between drawing and winning a good few of our recent matches. In the Summer Window signed some eight players who were new to us and quite honestly none of them have as yet put in performances equal to Cairney, Malone or Aluko.

Kamara has pace , has shown enthusiasm and is strong physically. He may well have earned himself a place in last season's team and could come good with a few more matches. The rest of the signings would have got no further than the bench last season.

I suggest we went for quantity in the summer rather than quality, sure we needed cover for our midfield but where is that.

Marcel_Gecov

Cover for midfield is Cisse and Norwood. Norwood has played every game and in all fairness has been a solid 6-7/10 in most of them, he's not Cairney but keeps us moving. In regards to were our transfer dealings good enough, I would say yes. The only area we didn't strengthen was CB (depending on your view towards the kalas loan and whether it counts as strengthening as he wasn't our player blah blah blah). We couldn't account for Piazon's injury who came out of the blocks incredibly well and probably would be in Cairneys position if he was fit.

Soares (on paper) is a better player than Malone and from what i saw of him at Rio Ave has potential to be the best LB in the championship. Kamara has done OK, and Fonte was looking food until his injury. Cairney is the key, he makes the team tick and if he was supplying Kamara and Fonte then I have no doubt they'd both have a few more goals.

fulhamben

Not including the players we Re loaned, would one of our new players got into last year's team, I don't think they would have. And would we be worse if they were all dropped and we went with our usual back 5 Tom Stefan and kevin in the middle. And Kebano piazon and Ayité up top? Again I don't think we would be worse off, so no, I'm not impressed with any of the signings to be honest. Good squad players but not one of them improves on what we had last year.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: fulhamben on October 24, 2017, 03:53:47 PM
Not including the players we Re loaned, would one of our new players got into last year's team, I don't think they would have. And would we be worse if they were all dropped and we went with our usual back 5 Tom Stefan and kevin in the middle. And Kebano piazon and Ayité up top? Again I don't think we would be worse off, so no, I'm not impressed with any of the signings to be honest. Good squad players but not one of them improves on what we had last year.

Well up front I think there's no question that either Fonte or Kamara would get in ahead of Martin (especially after Xmas Martin - touch & go re: before Xmas Martin).

I watched Soares alot at Rio Ave and he was very good and certainly should get in ahead of Malone/ Sess if he meets his potential however appreciate until he beds in this is hypothetical.

But you are right 2/11 isn't great. But then if we look at our competitors would many of them have better ratios as it stands? Id wager (and this is me spitballing - I will look into it further) that probably half the teams haven't strengthened whilst our injuries mean we have gone backwards.

Lighthouse

The players we brought in are good players. But none of them will take us to a higher level. Bringing in an injured player and telling us how much better he will be then the player we sold is meaningless. Not bringing a forward with pace was appalling. Kamara may well be a great player but he isn't ready yet. Plus we needed a center half and just repeated the defence we had last season with all its problems as well as its good points.

Players brought in are fine but not anything to improve us greatly. Just more of them that can all do a job. We keep talking about the second half of last season and the fact we have been disappointing since.  There was never any way we would be able to match that form without improvement. The powers that be were unable or unwilling to improve the team but filled out the squad nicely. We have a very good Championship squad capable of a top ten finish. But we are not any better as a team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

toshes mate

Have to agree with the OP analysis about Cairney, Malone and Aluko, to which I'd also add Piazon and Martin as absentees without natural squad cover that I can see.  But it is purely hypothetical to talk about last season compared to this.  What, for example, would last season have been like with a Cairney injury crisis?   

In general I'd say we haven't improved the squad and, if anything, may have made it weaker.  However a good run of results will always turn things around in football and so let's hope it starts soon and the newbies give us a real demonstration of what they can do.

Woolly Mammoth

and that's our problem that must be realised. Despite the additions in the summer, we mustn't forget we lost Aluko and Malone who were both integral to last years team. 
Plus the unexpected injury to Cairney which has compounded the situation. We are no more further down the line, just treading water, because the real issues regarding the defence, whether it's the centre back, left back with Sess pushed further forward, or the Keeper. Or the Striker situation was never addressed properly due to our stat obsessed amateur recruitment department.
I dont even think some of our new additions have had a full game yet, which tells us, that maybe they are not good enough.
How many of the new recruits have made any position their own.
They haven't because quality players will always make an immediate impact, not have an easy life around the fringes.
So how can the team be stronger when we haven't signed anyone who has tied down a place, yet we let 2 players go who were regulars.
There can be no excuse about injuries, that's part and parcel of the game.
The recruitment has been mediocre for obvious reasons. That's why we have only won one home match and only 4 so far and why we are in tenth spot, and have lost 21 points already.
So we need the Cavalry coming over the horizon in January, and not just a Detail, more a Troop.
We need to show some intent and real genuine ambition by flashing the cash, because there will be a Kings Ransom waiting if we climb up the ladder to reach the promised land.
Because the alternative is another season in the Championship with the prospect of losing Tom and Sess to name but two at the end of the season, and we are back down the snake back to square one.
On top of that we could lose Jok as well.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Statto on October 24, 2017, 05:15:35 PM
If Cairney and Piazon had been simultaneously unavailable last year we wouldn't have been much (if at all) better than we are now. IMO our motivation and luck have both diminished this year as well, which was inevitable. So any drop in performance is more attributable to those factors than transfer

The comparisons of incoming and outgoing transfers have been done to death and I think most on here now agree with Lighthouse's assessment above, that we slightly improved the squad but the first XI (with everyone fit) is roughly the same.

Is it "good enough" that we didn't improve the first XI? It seems poor. But then you have to remember we technically "lost" Kalas, Piazon and Martin so we did well just to get the first 2 back and replace Martin (with Fonte). And we probably expected at least one of Sessegnon and Cairney to leave for a bigger club as well. So maybe we have to accept that just keeping the first XI at the same level was actually good business.
If Cairney and Piazon had been simultaneously unavailable last year we wouldn't have been much (if at all) better than we are now. IMO our motivation and luck have both diminished this year as well, which was inevitable. So any drop in performance is more attributable to those factors than transfer

The comparisons of incoming and outgoing transfers have been done to death and I think most on here now agree with Lighthouse's assessment above, that we slightly improved the squad but the first XI (with everyone fit) is roughly the same.

Is it "good enough" that we didn't improve the first XI? It seems poor. But then you have to remember we technically "lost" Kalas, Piazon and Martin so we did well just to get the first 2 back and replace Martin (with Fonte). And we probably expected at least one of Sessegnon and Cairney to leave for a bigger club as well. So maybe we have to accept that just keeping the first XI at the same level was actually good business.
[/quote

That is right if Cairney and Piazon had been out last season at the same time we would never have made the top six, in fact if Cairney alone had been out we would not have made the top six. We all recognised that cover was needed. We brought in some eight new players but the situation has not changed.

Chutney

We didn't improve our strongest starting 11. We lost key players in Malone and Aluko. Our strongest starting 11 is the same as our strongest starting 11 from last season, except we replace Martin, Malone and Aluko with Fonte, Sess and Ojo (or any number of players, these are just examples, but it makes my point for me). From that perspective we completely failed this summer and the blame lies firmly with Tony Khan and his transfer team, our starting line up is arguably weaker this season than last. Furthermore when you consider that we stagnated our squad while others around us invested, look at wolves as a prime example, it is even more frustrating.

However, the positive from our summer window is that financially, we did well, sneaking a small profit, leaving us plenty to spend in January. we must however remove player recruitment responsibilities from TK and his team and allow our scouts, coaches and Manager to have total control, they see the players in training, they do the tactics, they have the footballing knowledge, they know what is required.
C O Y W

Twig

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on October 24, 2017, 04:17:00 PM

Well up front I think there's no question that either Fonte or Kamara would get in ahead of Martin (especially after Xmas Martin - touch & go re: before Xmas Martin).

I watched Soares alot at Rio Ave and he was very good and certainly should get in ahead of Malone/ Sess if he meets his potential however appreciate until he beds in this is hypothetical.

But you are right 2/11 isn't great. But then if we look at our competitors would many of them have better ratios as it stands? Id wager (and this is me spitballing - I will look into it further) that probably half the teams haven't strengthened whilst our injuries mean we have gone backwards.

Marcel, I am yet to see the quality that you claim in Fonte. Certainly in terms of goals per minute he had disappointed. Given that and our failure to strengthen at the back (I have to ignore the signing of an injured LB), then I side more with Lighthouse's view of the summer window. 6 out of 10.

MJG

"sure we needed cover for our midfield but where is that?"
We fnished last season with arguably the best three midfielders in division and Parker. That was it, that was our midfield.
We kept those three lost Parker and added Norwood and Cisse.

You make some good points but lose it in the last sentence.
Just the views of a long term fan

Jonaldiniho 88

I don't think on performances so far they are worthy but time will tell. I think with our system it's very hard to judge and this is made harder by all the injuries. I'm sure it's easier to bed in new players having an up and at them approach. With the possession based approach we adopt I can imagine knowing where players are and what they will do will take more time. It's clear to me nobody brought in has the quality to instantly improve us. Cairney didn't do that lets not forget, whilst johanson and kmac did let's not forget. Jury is very much out for me but any momentum from last season has been lost.

EJL

I think we miss Malone a lot. At the moment we're not able to have the same type of threat down the left-hand side as we do with Fredericks on the right, and this in turn is stifling both sides. Problem is Sessegnon is quite inconsistent with his first touch when it comes to trapping the ball once we move it , which is our entire gameplan (stretching and switching). Still think we will improve as the season goes on but not the kicking on we all hoped for following on from our playoff high.

ScalleysDad

Nope. 'We' often like stats, parallels and comparisons on here so as discussed in The Enclave I offer this:
This time last year, as good as, we were set to play Huddersfield. Look at the team for that game but more importantly the match report. I have'nt read it but apparently it's very relevant to the OP as none of the 'stars' of that day have been replaced with better. A lot is made of finishing 6th and the kudos that position should hold. I pose this question. In April Leeds took 5 points from 21 and Wolves took 10 from 24. Yes we were dead sexy to watch but were we really top six material on 30th March? At the end of it all we played two of the top six regulars, an already comfortable Huddersfield and then we were out thought by Stam and a brick wall of blue and white. Were we really as good and savvy as 6th place would seem to indicate? I only mention this as post season we thought substantial investment was required to launch a concerted campaign to be consistently top six by right and not because others faltered. We would need to hit the ground running and not be undone by stupid errors, the same mistakes or a lack of prowess up front. Yes money has been spent but the talisman and marquee player remains the same and some his supporting cast have gone and not been bettered. Good grief I say to myself as that cast included Martin.

toshes mate

Quote from: EJL on October 24, 2017, 07:56:34 PM
I think we miss Malone a lot. At the moment we're not able to have the same type of threat down the left-hand side as we do with Fredericks on the right, and this in turn is stifling both sides. Problem is Sessegnon is quite inconsistent with his first touch when it comes to trapping the ball once we move it , which is our entire gameplan (stretching and switching). Still think we will improve as the season goes on but not the kicking on we all hoped for following on from our playoff high.
A summary I believe to be accurate too.  Malone was a handful because he was strong as well as possessing skills.  Sure he made mistakes but he did balance the team left to right.  Sessegnon is still learning his trade and building up his strength.  He will benefit when we get our pass and retention game more finely tuned.

FFC1987

Have they been good enough? Maybe they'll come good but currently, I'd say no. When we needed some to step up in the face of injuries to players, we've been lacklustre, under par and just not clinical enough. Maybe Cairney coming back will boost them, we'll see but when we needed them to step up to the plate, they struggled which is telling.

filham

Let us take the spotlight off the better players for a moment and just compare the players bought in to provide the key, much needed, cover for midfield with last season's rejects.

Are Cisse and Norewood significantly better than LVC and Tunnicliffe. Maybe but only just , we really should have done better.

Keynsham

Yes. Norwood at least is significantly better than both.

filham

Quote from: Keynsham on October 25, 2017, 05:30:06 PM
Yes. Norwood at least is significantly better than both.

From the little we have seen this season both LVC and Tunnicliffe have shown better form than Cisse.

Jims Dentist

So from the responces so far our summer dealings were not good enough.

The next question is should the totally unqualified Laurel and Hardy be allowed to continue to waste whatever money we can spend under FFP in January, or will Daddy Shahid realise what an error he has made by his nepotistic appointment of his son and his chum?