watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Scam alert

Started by bog, October 24, 2017, 04:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

For the Fulham Brotherhood and all your friends. Recently I was having trouble getting on my Yahoo mail. Unable to find a way of getting in touch with the company I typed in 'How do I ring yahoo?' Up came a lot of numbers and one was 'yahoo faults UK help line'. I rang this and they said they would ring back within the hour. An Indian voice so I thought an Asian  call centre. They rang back on my land line and asked for my email address as they said my computer had been hacked. Within seconds they had control of my computer. I then smelt an Asian rat and said  'How do I know you are not the hacker?' I was offered many reasons why not but I was not happy. (call it old age) Then he said that Yahoo would provide protection for £200 and that I could pay by debit card. That was it for me. I told him to ring me back in an hour as I wanted to check things out and he got quite pushy. I rang a local computer repairer and he was round within 20mins. The Asian scum bag did not ring back. I wanted to invite him round for tea....
  The repairer said that when I typed into find out how to contact Yahoo most of the numbers that come up are are fakes run by scumbag hackers. Yahoo don't give a toss about this. He said that recently a chap handed over his bank numbers to pay and lost a lot of money. So be careful who you ring up folks.   :033:

Thank you and good night     

Marcel_Gecov

I was almost caught by this and it was only the 200 pounds that stopped me from being caught out (I use a Monzo card for all transactions that isnt a bill so couldnt pay him over the phone). My stepfather (a IT Developer nonetheless) did pay and got rinsed.

Props for highlighting this dastardly trick.

Southcoastffc

Was the trouble getting into your email anything to do with your system being compromised or was there some other problem?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 24, 2017, 04:52:06 PM
Was the trouble getting into your email anything to do with your system being compromised or was there some other problem?

I believe they send a scam email which if opened can cause issues with the email.

Woolly Mammoth

Goodnight and Thank you.

Thanks very much for the heads up Bog. Never ever open up an email before you are convinced it's genuine. If your not sure then it's probably a scam by these scum.
These scams and bogus emails and imposters are becoming even more frequent, and they ain't going away.

That's why when my family are loafing around the house, I explicitly instruct them to always have their passport on their person so I can confirm their identity, you can never be too careful.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Theres also fake amazon prime and paypal one on the circit also.

bog

I was having problems getting to my email account. It kept on rejecting my password, even if I said problems ans they sent a code number to my mobile.  The scum bags  must have already been sniffing about.

092.gif

filham

Surprised the Scum Bag asked for as much as £200 because what they usually want is your credit card details so that they can take numerous regular small amounts in the hope that it will go unnoticed.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: bog on October 24, 2017, 05:37:21 PM
I was having problems getting to my email account. It kept on rejecting my password, even if I said problems ans they sent a code number to my mobile.  The scum bags  must have already been sniffing about.

092.gif
Thanks
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jonaldiniho 88

Cheers for the heads up. Probably wise to mention that many scumbags from all nationalities are trying to do this. A scumbag is a scumbag wherever they are from.

bog

I also think that you have to be careful over asking for any ways to get in touch with companies on yahoo or google and phone numbers come up. Scumbags operate in all circles. How must it feel when they had taken money from you bank account? As banks say NEVER give account numbers over the phone. 

092.gif 

bog

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on October 24, 2017, 06:41:05 PM
Cheers for the heads up. Probably wise to mention that many scumbags from all nationalities are trying to do this. A scumbag is a scumbag wherever they are from.

Exactly.

092.gif

cmg

Had a quite an amusing one this morning.
Purporting to be from 'TV Licensing', with an accurate heading, it offered me an £85 rebate on my licence. Didn't say why I deserved this largesse. Perhaps I haven't been  watching enough TV, or perhaps in compensation for the plethora of garbage 'reality' shows that pollute the airways.

The fact that the email address is from the Czech Republic somewhat reduces my confidence that any further contact might be to my financial advantage...even in Czech Koruna!