watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What was your first game?

Started by SadOldGit, October 26, 2017, 03:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadOldGit

Just for a bit of interest.  I know my first game because my dad kept a note of it for me and always told the story of my first name as being 'Fulhamish' - we lost!  it was 16 Jan 1954  v West Ham and we lost 3 - 4.  All I can remember to be honest (I was only 5) is being overwhelmed by the huge crowd and walking back along the river to Putney.  I don't know what the attendance was but I bet it was over 30,000.

jeremyfulham

Hi Sad old git , the official attendance for that WHU match was exactly 30,000 according to the official history (1879-1987)
My 1st match was a bit later April 1967 vs Blackpool 2-2 Allan Clarke got both our goals.

Ged

Quote from: SadOldGit on October 26, 2017, 03:32:40 PM
Just for a bit of interest.  I know my first game because my dad kept a note of it for me and always told the story of my first name as being 'Fulhamish' - we lost!  it was 16 Jan 1954  v West Ham and we lost 3 - 4.  All I can remember to be honest (I was only 5) is being overwhelmed by the huge crowd and walking back along the river to Putney.  I don't know what the attendance was but I bet it was over 30,000.
The attendance is quoted as 30,000  Stevens Jezzard and Haynes scored

Keynsham

11 vs 11 tells me that it was 18th October 1980 when we got humped 4-0 at home by Oxford. A huge 3,817 attended.

Funnily enough, I remember that being a bright, warm sunny day but given the time of year that was probably unlikely.

Ged

my first game was 6th April 1968 v Coventry 1-1 Earle scored

Peabody

Quote from: SadOldGit on October 26, 2017, 03:32:40 PM

I seem to remember that we went in at halftime 3-0 up.

Snibbo

Approximately 1964. Home to Spurs. I stood in the children's enclosure.  Fulham 4 Spurs 1. I was hooked

bog

I wish I knew. It was in 1953 and I still recall my father's first words to me to do with Fulham...'Fulham have got this really good young player called Johnny Haynes'. I wish he had kept the programme.

092.gif

Horsfield_No9

V Burnley in 1998 at The Cottage. I had been a Forest supporter but being from Dorking never saw them play. At the age of 17 I decided to try watching a local team so got the train to Fulham, paid I think £8 on the door and saw us win 4-0. Might of been Hayles' debut? He scored along with Morgan who got 2 and Pesch the other. Keegan was the boss and we were on the rise. Around 9000 were there that day I'd say. I instantly fell in love with the ground and never stopped going. I'm 35 now.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Cambridge Pete

First home game in early 1959 home to Charlton. I think we won 3:1.

keith

Rhys Lightning 63

Football in general: Southampton 1 - 1 West Ham, April 2003
Fulham: 2 - 0 v Bolton, August 2004, first game back at The Cottage
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

grandad

September 1954 vs Doncaster. Won 5-2. No clean sheet even then.
Where there's a will there's a wife

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Keynsham on October 26, 2017, 03:43:57 PM
11 vs 11 tells me that it was 18th October 1980 when we got humped 4-0 at home by Oxford. A huge 3,817 attended.

Funnily enough, I remember that being a bright, warm sunny day but given the time of year that was probably unlikely.

Yep same game, but remember it being dark by the end of the game and the weather chilly, but it was several lifetimes ago now.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

bobbo

I also wish I knew it was 1956 but unlike others didn't carry on there and then but started regular attendances from 1958
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

QPR at home in the League Cup 2-0 about 1971
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

gang

25th April 1959.
Fulham 4 Rotherham 0

Ronnief

I went to the cottage when I was 9 so it was probably in 1956 when we played Rotherham.
I have no memory of the score or who played.

Abbotsbury White

August 1970,Watney cup V Derby at home lost 5-3, 18k attendance, just remember being blown away by my very first view of the pitch when I got to the top of the stairs of the Stevenage rd stand I think block E ,Parents had no real interest in football but an old guy who used to go into my mums shop in Munster road took me, cant imagine that happening these days!
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

bog

Quote from: Mo on October 26, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
August 1970,Watney cup V Derby at home lost 5-3, 18k attendance, just remember being blown away by my very first view of the pitch when I got to the top of the stairs of the Stevenage rd stand I think block E ,Parents had no real interest in football but an old guy who used to go into my mums shop in Munster road took me, cant imagine that happening these days!

I saw that game, we led 3-0 and lost AET. still recall Clough coming on the pitch at 90mins and giving a huge bow to the booing home fans.

092.gif