watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where do we go from here

Started by MaidenheadMick, October 31, 2017, 09:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

The answer....we go for mid table mediocrity. Win 1, lose 1 draw 1.

Joka?  He did a great job at Watford (and Fulham last season). What happened at Watford that he was gone after winning promotion? Perhaps leopards don't change their spots.

Chutney

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 01, 2017, 10:55:53 AM
Then on that basis where exactly do we go from here ?

Nothing we can do until January, we have to hope Slav can work his magic and keep us within touch until then, if he can do that with the current squad he needs to be praised for doing so.
C O Y W

joeemslie

Quote from: Chutney on November 01, 2017, 11:55:32 AM

Nothing we can do until January, we have to hope Slav can work his magic and keep us within touch until then, if he can do that with the current squad he needs to be praised for doing so.

I am neither in the Slav In or Slav Out camp at the moment, I am unsure where I stand with him. I like a manager to look like they are frustrated at how bad his team are performing, just like the fans, and I didn't see that yesterday. I think we will have to agree to disagree that we just tread water until Jan and be happy with that.

The players need to get motivated again, that's the managers job. He clearly hadn't done that yesterday.

They need good organisation and structure, that's the managers job. He tried something new, but clearly it didn't work yesterday.

@Chutney - do you honestly think he is working his "magic" at the moment?

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Milo on November 01, 2017, 10:35:31 AM
Okay Sky highlights never tell a story but does anyone think our 3 at the back formation might have contributed?

I think just in terms of adjusting to it in the first half? Perhaps defensively we just needed to stick to what has worked this season (god knows how). Odoi seemed to pile pressure on us in some of the plays with ineffective headed clearances ... coupled with our back line being out of position at times?

I feel like we've tried this formation before and it didn't really work. I'm sure SJ would say something along the lines of "but you all wanted a plan B..!" In response to this...

If you line the comments regarding a back three up with Joka's post match comments its all rather disappointing really.

filham

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on October 31, 2017, 09:56:32 PM
Quote from: Statto on October 31, 2017, 09:50:06 PM
Think the manager has to go if (when) we lose Friday

Don't blame him for this mess, think he's been given an impossible task, but we look to have reached a point where only a fresh face and approach can fix it

Of course changing the manager will mean this season is a write off, and another overhaul next summer no doubt. The real problem is the Khans but who's going to sack them?

We won't get a better manager than Joka. That would be short termism and a mistake.

We surely don't want a change of manager in the middle of the season. First we have to give Jocanovic his head and freedom to sign players of his choice. However we should keep an eye on Jocanovic's overall record, a great half season that took us to the play offs but the rest of his time with us has not been at all good.

Chutney

Quote from: joeemslie on November 01, 2017, 12:08:45 PM
Quote from: Chutney on November 01, 2017, 11:55:32 AM

I am neither in the Slav In or Slav Out camp at the moment, I am unsure where I stand with him. I like a manager to look like they are frustrated at how bad his team are performing, just like the fans, and I didn't see that yesterday. I think we will have to agree to disagree that we just tread water until Jan and be happy with that.

The players need to get motivated again, that's the managers job. He clearly hadn't done that yesterday.

They need good organisation and structure, that's the managers job. He tried something new, but clearly it didn't work yesterday.

@Chutney - do you honestly think he is working his "magic" at the moment?

We are 2 points off where we were at the same point last season, with a worse squad and against stronger sides. I wouldn't say he's working his magic currently but he is battling terrible odds and still managing to not do a whole lot worse than in the previous season. If we can stay within touch by January we need to support him and allow him to work his magic, if we have another pestos/cyriac window then there's nothing Slav can do.
C O Y W

filham

Hard to see how we can turn this situation around, not at all easy. No single action is going to be sufficient, a lot of things need to happen including:-

1. Sack Stats Boy and give the manager full responsibility for hiring and firing.

2. Give Joconavic until the end of the season to improve performances and results with the only pressure on him being to avoid relegation.

3. Do not play Cairney until he is fully fit.

4. Move Sess out of the left back position to a more forward position or onto the bench.

5. Sign that big ,tall, ugly center back we have been dreaming of since Hangeland left.

6. Sign a proven tall target man who can do a similar job to Zamora or McBride.

7. Ensure that we have a player who can take a reasonable corner kick.

8. Ask Jocanovic to mix his tactics from time to time to include quick long balls to Fredericks, the odd long clearance from the keeper to stretch the opposing defence, some shots from outside the box and quicker passes forward from defence.

HV71

Look everyone- just put yourself in Slav's position for a minute

Last season he stood up to the Martin situation with great conviction ( not a train station )- yet continued to pick him when he was available. Why ?  Because he knew we needed a centre forward that could - hold up the ball; create space by making telling runs; not get easily knocked off the ball and was a proven goal scorer.
Did he get a replacement ? I do t think so..... Fonte is intelligent but powder puff. Kamara is so raw its unbelievable and has the touch of a brick . ( he maybe useful one day but needs a lot of time and work)
It is very clear that he wanted to keep Aluko - did he get what he wanted - categorically no !
So the man with the only true footballing brain isn't listened to and the accountants win . Now I don't know about you but if I go to either my doctor or solicitor and they give me advice and an opinion that I don't listen to then I believe I can only expect trouble.
Trouble we have in spades
Before anyone starts to shout 'he couldn't hit a barn door   ' or 'he has been awful at Reading ' or 'he didn't want to be here ' or ' it was good business '  - I don't care. The football man wanted to keep him . Slav knew his value to the team and the way he wants to play . He may be crap at Reading but he wasn't crap in this team .
Slav may have only way of playing ( for which he is rightly open to criticism) but to play that way he need to be able to choose the players he wants and needs to make it work

Think on though  - most talented people are one trick ponies- Picasso , Tigana    ( bet you never thought you would see those two in the same sentence). It is a limitation but and it's a big but- you have to let them have their head to make it work

I was really pissed off last night but I want to watch football that is entertaining and exciting  - we aren't getting that at present ( which is difficult to take after last years feast ) BUT - in Slav I trust - give him the tools and we will get our Fulham back!!!

COYW !!!!

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: grandad on November 01, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
There are a few already calling for Slavisa´s head but no one has come up with a credible replacement. Madness to sack one of the best coaches we have had since Tigana. We have had cruel luck with injuries. Cairney & Johansen are both not 100% fit. They were a major part of last season´s push for promotion but have been hampered this season.
Give Slavisa a fully fit squad, player confidence, clinical finishing, a return to our pacy counter attacking & we will see an upturn. We are still only 4 points off 6th.

This.

Chesh

Quote from: HV71 on November 01, 2017, 07:28:36 PM
Look everyone- just put yourself in Slav's position for a minute

Last season he stood up to the Martin situation with great conviction ( not a train station )- yet continued to pick him when he was available. Why ?  Because he knew we needed a centre forward that could - hold up the ball; create space by making telling runs; not get easily knocked off the ball and was a proven goal scorer.
Did he get a replacement ? I do t think so..... Fonte is intelligent but powder puff. Kamara is so raw its unbelievable and has the touch of a brick . ( he maybe useful one day but needs a lot of time and work)
It is very clear that he wanted to keep Aluko - did he get what he wanted - categorically no !
So the man with the only true footballing brain isn't listened to and the accountants win . Now I don't know about you but if I go to either my doctor or solicitor and they give me advice and an opinion that I don't listen to then I believe I can only expect trouble.
Trouble we have in spades
Before anyone starts to shout 'he couldn't hit a barn door   ' or 'he has been awful at Reading ' or 'he didn't want to be here ' or ' it was good business '  - I don't care. The football man wanted to keep him . Slav knew his value to the team and the way he wants to play . He may be crap at Reading but he wasn't crap in this team .
Slav may have only way of playing ( for which he is rightly open to criticism) but to play that way he need to be able to choose the players he wants and needs to make it work

Think on though  - most talented people are one trick ponies- Picasso , Tigana    ( bet you never thought you would see those two in the same sentence). It is a limitation but and it's a big but- you have to let them have their head to make it work

I was really pissed off last night but I want to watch football that is entertaining and exciting  - we aren't getting that at present ( which is difficult to take after last years feast ) BUT - in Slav I trust - give him the tools and we will get our Fulham back!!!

COYW !!!!

Nicely put...

Just hopefully, Kline going will give him just that bit of extra bit of control he needs to at least steer in the right direction
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 31, 2017, 10:20:03 PM
I said a couple of weeks ago since he came back I thought Kalas has been our worst defender..I stand by that.
Got to agree with you, Mince.  He was a rock.  What happened?