watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwian

Thank you David for your expert in-depth summing up of the window. Time will tell, I prefer to wait and see how the new signings pan out before passing judgement. We do transfer windows like our matches, leave the good stuff till the last few minutes! I feel positive about the future.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

bobby01

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 01, 2018, 12:01:16 AM
Agreed, I wonder if anyone has gone to bed not knowing about these two late signings.
[/quot

I did
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

snarks

Quote from: bobby01 on February 01, 2018, 05:35:46 AM
Agreed, I wonder if anyone has gone to bed not knowing about these two late signings.
[/quot

I did

I had given up, woke up this morning and though meh, then I looked on here saw David comment first and though oh sh** then saw who Fulham have signed. I'm pleased to say the least. Bournemouth thumping Chelski helped though.

S.F.Sorrow

That's the first time in a very long time we actually look strengthened after a transfer window! Excellent!

Slightly disappointed we didn't get a new CB and that the loan situation isn't ideal. One third of our squad will be gone by the end of season!

I'll give this window 7/10. I think we have a good chance of making the playoffs now!  049:gif

One questions though:

Is Cisse still around? Several posts here saying he has joined Amiens on a loan but I can't find anything official? I actually think we might need him now with Norwood being one of the two loan players most likely to be dropped (Ojo being the other one). We need a decent midfielder on the bench! And if Cairney is fit to play there's a good chance Ojo may be preferred in the match day squad, depending on the injury situation.

MJG

At the end of that we have this squad vs last seasons
[/url]

and all these players contracted to us possibly beyond summer of 2019 if Options taken out
[/url]
Just the views of a long term fan

Ged

Quote from: David I on February 01, 2018, 01:05:50 AM
Quote from: Tooting legend on February 01, 2018, 12:00:56 AM
Well done Fulham a very good transfer window what a massive striker coup well done everyone at FFC
Are you retarded? The squad is bare bones and an injury away from disaster.
I'm not putting up with this shite any more and will be supporting the Quins just down the road come what August.
Let the khans have the building plot they so desire.....
Oh yeah the harlequins with there absent oversea owner

ffc73

Thanks mJG

The only one that has me, and others, slightly confused is Christie.  As I understand he is a RB & therefore not a CB replacement for Madl. He also looks to block Stephen Sess route as backup to Fredericks. It reads to me that Fredericks is going in the summer. Of course who knows what division we are planning for when the next window arrives

COYW

MJG

Quote from: FFC73 on February 01, 2018, 07:54:24 AM
Thanks mJG

The only one that has me, and others, slightly confused is Christie.  As I understand he is a RB & therefore not a CB replacement for Madl. He also looks to block Stephen Sess route as backup to Fredericks. It reads to me that Fredericks is going in the summer. Of course who knows what division we are planning for when the next window arrives

COYW
I stuck him next to Madl as he covered RB on occasions. He has plyed there but only a hanful of times.
I agree with the view it means Fred has said hes not signing a contract and we have ready made cover to step in and while Sess also may have competition from Fossey now hes back. Should be remembered that Sess last season only played 1622 minutes, this year its 2586 already. I would expect his brother to do something like that next season maybe if he shares the role with Christie? Just my thoughts on it.
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: snarks on February 01, 2018, 06:21:32 AM
Quote from: bobby01 on February 01, 2018, 05:35:46 AM
[/quot

I did

I had given up, woke up this morning and though meh, then I looked on here saw David comment first and though oh sh** then saw who Fulham have signed. I'm pleased to say the least. Bournemouth thumping Chelski helped though.

Yes, it all happened so quickly, it was like the cavalry coming over the hill at the end of a film. A good way to start the day I would have thought.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

twang

Much better window than last year, well done to the club for showing some ambition!

But the fact of the matter is that we're still one injury to Ream from having to rely on Kalas-Odoi in central defence and that's really shocking.

Tooting legend

Quote from: General on February 01, 2018, 01:20:28 AM
Well done Fulham a very good transfer window what a massive striker coup well done everyone at FFC
I'm not putting up with this shite any more and will be supporting the Quins just down the road come what August.

I support fulham and quins. You don't have to only support one or the other.

I also think you're being a bit ott if I may say so.

Reasons for me thinking this is that whilst I tend to agree we do have a few areas we're light in I do think the three signings we've secured this window are all solid ones. We got rid of a lot of dead weight, which was our depth, but as a club the owner does seem to support the bringing in of new players and in his time, whilst admittedly learning the hard way and convoluted way, has also stood firm for the best interests of the club for the most part.

What I mean by that is he's shown a tolerance for slavisa, who the fans are hugely supportive of and who gets results and the players want to play for,  despite his outbursts.

He signs our top players down to long term contracts and holds a strong stance regarding not selling our best players and has also put his son in a senior role at the club...

Now some may question Tony khan and previous transfer windows.. a lot of players have been shown the door this Jan who were brought in and deemed not good enough, but there are two things I want to acknowledge..

Firstly to have the piece of mind to bring in players and acknowledge they aren't working out and take that hit within 6 months because it is the right thing to do, is good business.

Secondly, when the chips were down regarding kline kicking up a fuss and the whole transfer saga came to a head he got rid of kline it seems and has kept the manager which again is the right decision and shows in my eyes he has the best intentions for the club first and foremost... especially when kline was so close to his own family in being tonys friend and having done work with the jaguars.

All in all it may frustrate to see the man take 4 years to get to this point and we may not find the exact way he does things as perfect he does seem to be slowly doing the right things for the club's interests.

If we get to the premiership I hope he can take what he's learned and do it there and to the necessary standard required too.

I have huge admiration and respect for all fayed, but when it comes to the clubs stance on players value to the club, not selling our best players and showing a willingness to go into the market and buy players shahid pips him here and long may it continue.

Plus if you look at our squad we arguably now have two options for each position and in some places more. I agree we should have 3 keepers and I'd have preferred Madl over Djalo, but Madl wanted to leave.

No need to get personal. I am allowed my view.

Twig

Just realised, at the bottom of each page is the option to "go up", is that what we are going to do?

JoelH5

Quote from: Twig on February 01, 2018, 09:32:01 AM
Just realised, at the bottom of each page is the option to "go up", is that what we are going to do?

How long have you been waiting to say that!? ;)
I was there, standing in the Putney end

terryr

nice.
What a clever boy you are. Have fun with the egg chasers

bill taylors apprentice

The window slams shut and how do things look now?

We have cleared out any first team player who were not rated by the HC.
Remember Djalo is one for the future, apparently!

We have found clubs to take some of our up and coming players on Loan
Targett a good move even if only on loan.
The Christie signing makes sense considering Fredericks situation (Forward planning?)

Can't complain about Mitrovic on loan but for me the phrase "flying by the seat of your pants" is the kindest way I can put my view on our recruitment plan.

We can all see why we tried to get Norwood signed permanently now as the plan was always to get in more loan players.

We are stronger for sure than this time last year but for a team of our pedigree and ambition it wasn't quite enough for me, as my teacher used to say about me "Tries hard, means well but could do better"!

Holders

Quote from: Tooting legend on February 01, 2018, 09:15:18 AM
Quote from: General on February 01, 2018, 01:20:28 AM

I support fulham and quins. You don't have to only support one or the other.

I also think you're being a bit ott if I may say so.

Reasons for me thinking this is that whilst I tend to agree we do have a few areas we're light in I do think the three signings we've secured this window are all solid ones. We got rid of a lot of dead weight, which was our depth, but as a club the owner does seem to support the bringing in of new players and in his time, whilst admittedly learning the hard way and convoluted way, has also stood firm for the best interests of the club for the most part.

What I mean by that is he's shown a tolerance for slavisa, who the fans are hugely supportive of and who gets results and the players want to play for,  despite his outbursts.

He signs our top players down to long term contracts and holds a strong stance regarding not selling our best players and has also put his son in a senior role at the club...

Now some may question Tony khan and previous transfer windows.. a lot of players have been shown the door this Jan who were brought in and deemed not good enough, but there are two things I want to acknowledge..

Firstly to have the piece of mind to bring in players and acknowledge they aren't working out and take that hit within 6 months because it is the right thing to do, is good business.

Secondly, when the chips were down regarding kline kicking up a fuss and the whole transfer saga came to a head he got rid of kline it seems and has kept the manager which again is the right decision and shows in my eyes he has the best intentions for the club first and foremost... especially when kline was so close to his own family in being tonys friend and having done work with the jaguars.

All in all it may frustrate to see the man take 4 years to get to this point and we may not find the exact way he does things as perfect he does seem to be slowly doing the right things for the club's interests.

If we get to the premiership I hope he can take what he's learned and do it there and to the necessary standard required too.

I have huge admiration and respect for all fayed, but when it comes to the clubs stance on players value to the club, not selling our best players and showing a willingness to go into the market and buy players shahid pips him here and long may it continue.

Plus if you look at our squad we arguably now have two options for each position and in some places more. I agree we should have 3 keepers and I'd have preferred Madl over Djalo, but Madl wanted to leave.

No need to get personal. I am allowed my view.
Perhaps he's David Icke.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

I like the sanity expressed by General at #1881, and S.F. Sorrow at #1885.  But then I also share the sentiments of BTA at #1896.  It's a case of let's suck it and see.  All three incoming players look promising on paper but we all know it is what happens on the pitch that matters not just on matchdays but also when training.   My main view is that we looked good before Targett arrived.  We looked better after his arrival. Cyrus Christie and Aleksandar Mitrović give us plenty of options and alternatives if they live up to their reputations.  Would liked to have seen a central defender but better nothing than another signed or loaned failure.

I still don't believe the recruitment team is operating as well as it could/should but that is something that simply will not change unless there is a real train wreck and I, for one, very much hope that doesn't happen because they never end well for anyone. 

Lighthouse

This wasn't brilliant planning by our management. Two last second signings. One in a position that we actually were alright for but might mean putting pressure on  the player that is there to either sign a new contract or not. A forward on loan who was in no plan until his transfer fell through abroad. He even said he was happy to be home before it fell through.

But as others have said. We will just have to wait and see and they may well be the signings that push us over the line. Yes the centre back spot is a problem. But has been for so long now. However the Coach saying he needed three players and they wanted the business done early proved half right in the end.

In the end are we better now than we were before January started. Has to be a yes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Count Flapula

Good additions - I feel i t's been a productive last 10 minutes of window... Hoped you'd do it much earlier Fulham but where's the fun in that?!

Shame about no additional CB as many have said, but one perceived deficiency in our team has been addressed with these new guys:

- Mitrovic 6 ft 3 and strong as an ox
- Christie 6 ft 2 and also strong (was Boro's MOM in my opinion when they came to the Cottage)
- Targett 6 ft and also looks pretty solid for a LB

Hopefully gives us more presence in both penalty areas for set pieces (so long as Mitro keeps his elbows tucked in!).

Well done Fulham overall - you (just about) got there in the end!

filham

I went off to bed at about 10-30pm thinking all of the action was over and missed the excitement of the two late signings.
Really confused as to when this wretched window closes , beginning to think it is " When Fulham have finished their business " rather like Man. U. with injury time.

Yes a good window, top priority was that we retained out best players who were wanted by Premiership cubs and that we filled the left back position which enables Sess. to move into attack.
A top target man was a real and unexpected bonus. Can't see the need to spend on a new right back but extra quality in the squad can't be a bad thing.

We are in the top six, have a good looking squad and are now prepared for an exciting promotion challenge.

The only black cloud now is Cairney's knee, if only that could be sorted we could really be confident of promotion.