watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - best mince pie thread

Started by Carborundum, December 19, 2017, 07:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Keynsham's excellent idea for a seasonal thread that is nothing to do with personnel deficiencies has inspired me.  We have reached the point in the festive season where plenty have been sampled.  So where can the best mince pies be sourced for the big day?

One rule:  needs to be commercially available.  We all think our significant other / Mum / Nan / colleague's  home-made ones are the best. 

Normally it's M&S for us, but not this year.  If you have Cavan bakery nearby, get down there for a pack of 6.

Twig

Parker bakery in Northfields Avenue.  Closely followed by Pitshanger bakery in Hanwell and Ealing.

mrmicawbers

You reminded me I had some in the Cupboard Thanks just had a couple Marks and Sparks all butter .

Keynsham

Good thread!   049:gif

I have been sampling various supermarket ones since the start of the month, none of which have really come up to scratch you will be surprised to hear. Of that dross, Tesco have topped my charts but I do need to branch out into a better quality of pie I think.

Holders

Quote from: Carborundum on December 19, 2017, 07:56:30 PM
Keynsham's excellent idea for a seasonal thread that is nothing to do with personnel deficiencies has inspired me.  We have reached the point in the festive season where plenty have been sampled.  So where can the best mince pies be sourced for the big day?

One rule:  needs to be commercially available.  We all think our significant other / Mum / Nan / colleague's  home-made ones are the best. 

Normally it's M&S for us, but not this year.  If you have Cavan bakery nearby, get down there for a pack of 6.

Is that just in Co. Cavan or do they have UK branches as well?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BestOfBrede

Waitrose - Heston Blumenthal - Spiced shortcrust mince pies with a lemon twist
Really good!

bobbo

Costco' s mince pies are fab and bigger than most others.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Carborundum

Quote from: Holders on December 20, 2017, 09:48:41 AM

Its a chain of bakers in south west London.  Think it might be named after a Mr Cavan, rather than having an origin in the Emerald Isle.  They go for substance over gimmicks.

Carborundum

Quote from: bobbo on December 20, 2017, 10:46:29 AM
Want vibrant small talk conversation with non football fans over the Xmas period?  There's one opening gambit that always delivers:  "I was down at Costco and they had.....". Costco members will get animated.  Non Costco members will be genuinely curious.  It's a proven winner. 

Holders

Quote from: Carborundum on December 20, 2017, 10:57:01 AM
Quote from: Holders on December 20, 2017, 09:48:41 AM

Its a chain of bakers in south west London.  Think it might be named after a Mr Cavan, rather than having an origin in the Emerald Isle.  They go for substance over gimmicks.

Sounds good, I'm just not familiar with them. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Keynsham

Quote from: Carborundum on December 20, 2017, 11:02:27 AM
Quote from: bobbo on December 20, 2017, 10:46:29 AM
Want vibrant small talk conversation with non football fans over the Xmas period?  There's one opening gambit that always delivers:  "I was down at Costco and they had.....". Costco members will get animated.  Non Costco members will be genuinely curious.  It's a proven winner. 

Totally true story.

filham

Has anyone thought of asking Jim Stanard.

Twig

Sorry, I don't understand, what is Costco?

spikey norman

Quote from: BestOfBrede on December 20, 2017, 10:15:33 AM
Waitrose - Heston Blumenthal - Spiced shortcrust mince pies with a lemon twist
Really good!

Yes they are lovely

Keynsham

Quote from: Twig on December 20, 2017, 01:16:08 PM

This will give you something of an idea. Basically, it's immense.

https://www.costco.co.uk/

Carborundum

Quote from: Twig on December 20, 2017, 01:16:08 PM
Steroidally-enhanced Cash and Carry.  Many things sold in big volumes - the loo roll packs are hilarious and probably their biggest seller.  Very American sized portions.  Fortunately the trolleys are super-sized too, so it's all good.

Browse around for ten minutes and I guarantee you will overhear the following:

"But we haven't got anywhere to put it"
"We'll make space"

Membership rigmarole, security arrangements, special offers, canteen that makes IKEA's look pricey.... all great talking points.