watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fonte

Started by JoelH5, December 27, 2017, 12:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

I haven't rated him so far but can we all agree, his ball into Sess for our 3rd goal was quality. Great vision and pinpoint accuracy. Sess still had a lot to do but Fonte gave him the opportunity to do it.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Woolly Mammoth

He has to do it again, and more often. He has to get into scoring positions himself, his goal ratio is pitiful. We haven't the time to hold his hand and wet nurse him, and at 9million I expect more for my money.
We could have got a player to make more impact from the lower divisions who would cost a tenth of his price, and get his act together from the start, he is not 16 any more.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

Good ball from a good footballer, Not sure if he will come good as a lone striker but am sure he would flourish playing in behind the striker if we ever went two up top. He's definitely not a winger though.
STH H3

Matt10

Please give him some time to actually get more than 15 minutes (combined) in playing in our refound 4-1-2-3. We were saying the same about other players such as Johansen, and now he's the man of the match.

Like I've said numerous times. The formation = consistency = confidence. That will resignate throughout the team and players. Ayite scoring 2 goals in 2 matches should be a good sign of that. I remember reading threads on here talking about how bad Ayite was, yet now he's got 3 total on the season. Let Fonte prove himself in this true Fulham formation that brought us a lot of success, and is currently putting us on track.

Woolly Mammoth

I can agree though that he will be more effective behind the striker, which I think we all agreed is his best position, playing as a lone striker or winger is not his forte.
But in the hole behind the striker appears to be, otherwise it's been a waste of 9m.

Never forget your Roots.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2017, 01:47:53 AM
I can agree though that he will be more effective behind the striker, which I think we all agreed is his best position, playing as a lone striker or winger is not his forte.
But in the hole behind the striker appears to be, otherwise it's been a waste of 9m.

Would you say that playing as the lone striker is not his FONTE? And I agree, we are RUIing the missed top striker. Playing behind a central striker suits Rui, and I think he will become quality for us after January. It doesn't make up for the 9 million spent on him, but I think if we invest in him (and especially Kamara) rather than throw them to the way side in the summer we will be set with solid squad subs at a minimum.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: maoconnor on December 27, 2017, 03:29:43 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 27, 2017, 01:47:53 AM

Would you say that playing as the lone striker is not his FONTE? And I agree, we are RUIing the missed top striker. Playing behind a central striker suits Rui, and I think he will become quality for us after January. It doesn't make up for the 9 million spent on him, but I think if we invest in him (and especially Kamara) rather than throw them to the way side in the summer we will be set with solid squad subs at a minimum.

👍⚽️

Never forget your Roots.

Slaphead in Qatar

It was a cracking pass by fonte. He has lots of energy - he could be useful if used properly.

toshes mate

Fonte will, like everybody else in the squad, get better as he gets more game time in a successful core team.  He has already shown us on occasions that he has the quality and intelligence to influence game outcomes and I am sure he will be important to us in 2018.   

For me the most significant things to have happened is reducing central midfield to McDonald, Cairney and Johansen allowing the latter to do what he did so well last year and finishing with composure.  Johansen was my man of the match and he finished the game with aplomb.   In fact all the goals were well taken and we made better use of less possession and less chances than in most games this season.  Cardiff is a hard place to go to get a result and so this was an excellent team performance.

RaySmith

All we can ask is that he  does his best, and I think he does.

Yes, as a pro footballer on big wages, whom we've paid a lot of money for, we should expect him to make an immediate impact, but it doesn't always work like that, and players can take time to  adjust in  foreign league in a foreign country, but then prove very successful.

Fonte has definitely shown  signs of improvement, though at the moment he is only being used as a late sub, which  obviously doesn't help him get up to speed. But if you look at our starting line-up yesterday, where was the room for Fonte, who we've seen isn't really a lone striker, when even the more impressive Norwood didn't start?

As said, the team performing better with more confidence, will help Fonte's performance, and take some of the pressure off of him.

Carborundum

It was a perfectly serviceable pass, but for me a great pass takes one or more players out of the game.  Sessegnon's anticipation, touch and dynamism did that job, a composed finish did the rest.  Wonderful goal, decent play in the build up by Fonte, but not one to significantly alter my perception of Fonte.  If it boosts his confidence then fine. 

RaySmith

But he could have easily fluffed it under the pressure of the moment, and having just come on.
Fulham players don't always show such composure, and as for Sess.....!!!!

bobby01

Quote from: Carborundum on December 27, 2017, 07:32:57 AM
It was a perfectly serviceable pass, but for me a great pass takes one or more players out of the game.  Sessegnon's anticipation, touch and dynamism did that job, a composed finish did the rest.  Wonderful goal, decent play in the build up by Fonte, but not one to significantly alter my perception of Fonte.  If it boosts his confidence then fine.
:plus one:
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

S.F.Sorrow

The pass was clever but not really THAT spectacular, was it? The impressive part for me was Sessegnon getting in front of the defender. Any less talented player and Fonte's pass would have gone straight to the Cardiff defender. Sess opened up the defense, not the pass.

Fonte still looks useless as a striker and we've got other, better players for the position behind the striker. Just because he made one assist doesn't suddenly make him worth 9m. If he starts scoring on a regular basis I'll reconsider but I can't see it happening so he's still a waste of space for me. He has been given more than enough time and I hope he is replaced in January.

Great win though! I was expecting the season to be over after Sunderland but there's still a glimmer of hope!  082.gif

filham

Fonte has a way to go to justify his £9m price tag.
The dilema right now is do we continue with him in the hope that he develops quickly enough to play a part in a top six push or discard him and splash out big money on a new striker.

res

Quote from: JoelH5 on December 27, 2017, 12:23:12 AM
I haven't rated him so far but can we all agree, his ball into Sess for our 3rd goal was quality. Great vision and pinpoint accuracy. Sess still had a lot to do but Fonte gave him the opportunity to do it.

Fonte remains an enigma for me. Clearly technically talented and is now trying to get into the physicality of the league...by that I mean tackling back which he did a couple of times after coming on as sub. against Barnsley. Also does get into spaces looking to receive the ball rather than hiding. Against that he doesn't bust a gut to get into the penalty area. Gets involved in goal celebrations as if it means a lot to him. So, forgetting the price tag, which is not his fault, I see him as a valued part of the squad as he does provide something different...but, obviously, can or should be providing more. Cautiously optimistic that he will be an important part of our second half of the season march to the play offs.

Baszab

It was a hit and hope a Sunday league pass into the penalty area that should have  have been intercepted and resulted in another counter attack by Cardiff

Only RS brilliant reflexes turned it into a brilliant goal scoring opportunity

Fonte contributes nothing and he should have brought on Norwood at that stage of the game

This blind optimism on Fonte is weird - watch him live and you will see a very poor footballer

ffcne

Quote from: Baszab on December 27, 2017, 01:50:11 PM
It was a hit and hope a Sunday league pass into the penalty area that should have  have been intercepted and resulted in another counter attack by Cardiff

Only RS brilliant reflexes turned it into a brilliant goal scoring opportunity

Fonte contributes nothing and he should have brought on Norwood at that stage of the game

This blind optimism on Fonte is weird - watch him live and you will see a very poor footballer
Totally agree.It was a hit and hope ball .He has had enough chances .We are a much better team without him.My mind was made up after the Forest and game .And nothing since then has made me feel i was wrong.Total waste of money.

toshes mate

There's nothing wrong with 'hit and hope' when your play results in a goal.  Given the distance the ball travelled and the weight of the pass Sessegnon was able to move towards its pitch, allowing his control to beat the defender and then apply the sublime finish.  Nothing in the goal to be pointlessly condescending about Fonte's involvement at all.  Ojo didn't mean to score against Barnsley but he isn't about to say therefore the goal doesn't count. 

RaySmith

A perfectly weighted pass.