more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fonte

Started by JoelH5, December 27, 2017, 12:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@jolslover

Quote from: BedsFFC on December 27, 2017, 09:20:40 PM
The 700 Fulham fans that went to Cardiff were singing his name and giving him every encouragement. He seemed to feed off that. It hasnt gone as well as we all hoped (I'm sure Rui feels exactly the same)
Right now, he's a Fulham player and he's clearly liked by his teammates. I for one, think he has definitely got something. Whilst he's pulling on the white shirt and giving it his all, why don't we forget all the criticising and wish the guy well?

Good post.
STH H3

hovewhite

Quote from: Statto on December 28, 2017, 08:34:07 AM
The 700 Fulham fans that went to Cardiff were singing his name and giving him every encouragement. He seemed to feed off that. It hasnt gone as well as we all hoped (I'm sure Rui feels exactly the same)
Right now, he's a Fulham player and he's clearly liked by his teammates. I for one, think he has definitely got something. Whilst he's pulling on the white shirt and giving it his all, why don't we forget all the criticising and wish the guy well?
+1 nice post
÷2

toshes mate

The 700 Fulham fans that went to Cardiff were singing his name and giving him every encouragement. He seemed to feed off that. It hasn't gone as well as we all hoped (I'm sure Rui feels exactly the same).  Right now, he's a Fulham player and he's clearly liked by his teammates. I for one, think he has definitely got something. Whilst he's pulling on the white shirt and giving it his all, why don't we forget all the criticising and wish the guy well?

Add me to the growing list of those appreciating this post.

Riverside

I hope he does succeed . From what we can make out is that he is liked by his teammates . We have heard to murmurings or complaints from him about being benched . And his last few sub cameos he had shown effort and commitment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VicHalomsLovechild

What's spent on a player has to be taken in context. Andy (who wasn't cheap) Johnson's injury lead to the resurgence in Zoltan Gera's form and goals that took us to a European final.
If we have turned a corner. What now seems a poor summer transfer window can still be addressed in January and won't be lost on the Chairman in the future. If we had got promoted last year and had a similar bad window we'd be seriously in the poo now and probably wouldn't survive. As it is we still have a chance of making the playoffs and one or two players finding their form.

The Rock

Fonte reminds me of Ruiz in his short comings. He's a fine squad player, and gets in these positions/plays/situations that just as important as goals. The penalty against PNE comes to mind (though Norwood was credited with the goal etc.)

Is he worth 9m? No, but we've done worse and hope his involvement grows and he continues to improve.

I don't think we've seen him play much in his proper position/system as others have alluded to.

Holders

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 28, 2017, 08:55:38 AM
+1 nice post
+2

PS - were we singing his name because we only have songs for a handful of our players? Like we still have to mention Al Fayed. And Reeeeeeeeem hardly constitutes a song - but I like it!

I look forward to the day when we have reason to sing about Khan. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

We were back to last season' line up yesterday and it produced the best performance of the season, the midfield of McDonald, Johanson and Cairney, when all three are fit, is untouchable. If we are to play Fonte behind the striker then he is only going to get a look in as a late sub or when Cairney or Johansen are not available.

Fonte was bought as a striker, we must try to get him functioning in this role, £9m is a lot for us to pay for a cover player.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on December 28, 2017, 05:37:46 PM
We were back to last season' line up yesterday and it produced the best performance of the season, the midfield of McDonald, Johanson and Cairney, when all three are fit, is untouchable. If we are to play Fonte behind the striker then he is only going to get a look in as a late sub or when Cairney or Johansen are not available.

Fonte was bought as a striker, we must try to get him functioning in this role, £9m is a lot for us to pay for a cover player.

I didn't go yesterday, Was it better than Ipswich away? That was very good performance.
STH H3

bahay18

Sometimes players just need a game to make it click for them . Gera was hopeless when he arrived then scored a screamer in the cup against man city and never looked back. More recently Kebano ,Scored a late winner against wigan and then became a very useful player for the latter part of the season. When you pay the money we did for an experienced player its right to expect an immediate impact but sometimes it can take a spark. I'm not sure that pass was it but if the team has turned a corner with 5 wins in 7 , it will certainly be easier to find that spark in a team playing with confidence than playing in one that is scared of its own shadow.

Matt10

Quote from: bahay18 on December 29, 2017, 03:43:08 PM
Sometimes players just need a game to make it click for them . Gera was hopeless when he arrived then scored a screamer in the cup against man city and never looked back. More recently Kebano ,Scored a late winner against wigan and then became a very useful player for the latter part of the season. When you pay the money we did for an experienced player its right to expect an immediate impact but sometimes it can take a spark. I'm not sure that pass was it but if the team has turned a corner with 5 wins in 7 , it will certainly be easier to find that spark in a team playing with confidence than playing in one that is scared of its own shadow.

Well said, and agreed. Fonte, all things considered, was the big hype when signed, and when he scored against Ipswich, it was expected that he would be consistent...and a threat. There were no comments on here about him being undersized or "useless". As soon as he went into a drought of trying to set up other players, he lost momentum of the fans.

Look at Clint Dempsey when he started. Flashed dribbling skills, etc, but never really produced anything. Until he scored against Liverpool. From there, he was streaky, but finally found consistency from being properly placed in position, relevant to the system. He proved to be versatile and one of Fulham's best goal scorers.

mrmicawbers

How does his song go.Cant say I have heard it?

RaySmith

That pass was very important, and class, not luck imo, especially since he hadn't been on long.
I agree that it's still too soon to write him off.

Though his problem may be getting a run in the team.

Fernhurst

Bit condescending Filham.
Weve all played the game, some at higher levels than others.
Some can see (like our coach) an intelligent player trying desperately to prove he can add to the sum of the whole of our team.
We all know what will happen if it doesn't work out but while he wears the shirt he will continue receive the support.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on December 28, 2017, 05:10:57 PM
Quote from: Whitesideup on December 28, 2017, 08:55:38 AM
+1 nice post
+2

PS - were we singing his name because we only have songs for a handful of our players? Like we still have to mention Al Fayed. And Reeeeeeeeem hardly constitutes a song - but I like it!

I look forward to the day when we have reason to sing about Khan. 

You may have a long wait.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Was there when he scored with great finish v Ipswich and feel if given the chance in his proper position he can still achieve and wearing the fulham shirt you have to support him along with the team.

davew

Quote from: filham on December 27, 2017, 01:25:43 PM
Fonte has a way to go to justify his £9m price tag.
The dilema right now is do we continue with him in the hope that he develops quickly enough to play a part in a top six push or discard him and splash out big money on a new striker.
3 questions to which my answers are no, yes and yes! How many did I get right (lol)?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on December 29, 2017, 09:01:24 PM
Quote from: filham on December 27, 2017, 01:25:43 PM
Fonte has a way to go to justify his £9m price tag.
The dilema right now is do we continue with him in the hope that he develops quickly enough to play a part in a top six push or discard him and splash out big money on a new striker.
3 questions to which my answers are no, yes and yes! How many did I get right (lol)?

Your exam results are 100% ☑️☑️☑️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.