watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Talking about cheating

Started by davew, December 27, 2017, 09:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Anybody seen Gayle's dive just now, disgusting, worse than the referee's performance yesterday!! Should be a red card offence!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on December 27, 2017, 09:19:35 PM
Anybody seen Gayle's dive just now, disgusting, worse than the referee's performance yesterday!! Should be a red card offence!!

He should take his boots off and play in flippers.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Barrett487

I haven't seen the incident, but have a strong opinion.

I hate diving, but our guys sometimes err.

Cairney dived against Cardiff. Joe Bennett was penalised, however Tom jumped around him and acted hurt (28 mins). Jim said advantage should have been played, but on replay, there was no foul. Ok, it wasn't in the penalty area, but it doesn't make it right. I remember one occasion when Chris David blatently dived, i was fuming... he went soon after and iwasn't upset.

The Old Count

Quote from: Barrett487 on December 27, 2017, 11:15:54 PM
I haven't seen the incident, but have a strong opinion.

I hate diving, but our guys sometimes err.

Cairney dived against Cardiff. Joe Bennett was penalised, however Tom jumped around him and acted hurt (28 mins). Jim said advantage should have been played, but on replay, there was no foul. Ok, it wasn't in the penalty area, but it doesn't make it right. I remember one occasion when Chris David blatently dived, i was fuming... he went soon after and iwasn't upset.

Cairney was getting roughed up and wasn't getting any protection from the ref.  Still not an excuse I know but understandable.

Holders

I think diving should be a card offence, as should appealing for a free-kick, whether real or a dive. Whether a foul is given or not should be up to the referee not "owzat?".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Holders on December 28, 2017, 10:37:28 AM
I think diving should be a card offence, as should appealing for a free-kick, whether real or a dive. Whether a foul is given or not should be up to the referee not "owzat?".

And diving for a penalty should be a red card - that would soon put an end to simulation

filham

Time we had a sin bin and referees would then be more inclined to administer short sharp punishment for thes fringe offences.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on December 28, 2017, 11:50:20 AM
Time we had a sin bin and referees would then be more inclined to administer short sharp punishment for thes fringe offences.

I wholeheartedly agree there.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

I was listening to the 5 commentary and Alan Shearer went absolutely mad about it.

092.gif

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Makes me wonder what went through the refs head on Tuesday.
If Johansen wasn't fouled in the penalty area, he must have dived, surely
Red card  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on December 28, 2017, 12:09:02 PM
I was listening to the 5 commentary and Alan Shearer went absolutely mad about it.

092.gif

When you say mad, did he mean mad with enthusiasm or mad with anger.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 28, 2017, 01:06:22 PM

092.gif

The word fuming comes to mind...livid....on the edge of a serious bout of profanity.... 

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: bog on December 28, 2017, 01:12:14 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 28, 2017, 01:06:22 PM

092.gif

The word fuming comes to mind...livid....on the edge of a serious bout of profanity.... 

Not sure why he's getting on his high horse, he was all elbows when he used to play

bahay18

i was listening to robbie savage(i know) on 606 about the everton lad that picked up the first retrospective ban . He said if he was a coach he would encourage all his players to hit the deck on contact , win the penalty , worry about the ban later. He doesn't think trying to fool the ref is cheating which seems pretty bizarre. This opinion that when there is a contact you have the right to go down seems really odd in a contact sport. Surely if the contact is suffectient to knock you over you will hit the deck anyway , other wise carry on . If you reverse the situation and a centre half fell over and rolled around for 5 mins just  because the centre forward put his arm on him , you would just say you have to be stronger .I would agree with a straight red for diving and hopefully when the video refs come in this can help to stop it.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on December 28, 2017, 10:56:22 AM

And diving for a penalty should be a red card - that would soon put an end to simulation

My thought exactly. The punishment for simulation should exactly equal the punishment that the simulation was intended to instigate.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

Quote from: bahay18 on December 28, 2017, 03:58:17 PM
i was listening to robbie savage(i know) on 606 about the everton lad that picked up the first retrospective ban . He said if he was a coach he would encourage all his players to hit the deck on contact , win the penalty , worry about the ban later. He doesn't think trying to fool the ref is cheating which seems pretty bizarre. This opinion that when there is a contact you have the right to go down seems really odd in a contact sport. Surely if the contact is suffectient to knock you over you will hit the deck anyway , other wise carry on . If you reverse the situation and a centre half fell over and rolled around for 5 mins just  because the centre forward put his arm on him , you would just say you have to be stronger .I would agree with a straight red for diving and hopefully when the video refs come in this can help to stop it.

Agree with your point. It also follows that if a player is fouled in the box and carries on (advantage played and then he doesn't score) then the play should be called back and a penalty awarded. For the stick he got, Ruiz would carry on even if a contact caused him to stumble and I don't remember him being given a penalty. For me, a player should carry on if he can, not go down like a fairy, and if the ref thinks it's a penalty then he should give it (even if the player has stayed on his feet).

Holders

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 28, 2017, 04:50:17 PM

My thought exactly. The punishment for simulation should exactly equal the punishment that the simulation was intended to instigate.

Right - so a red for a dive in the box and a yellow for outside. I go with that.

Baszab

What about when a late/hard challenge comes in and a good player (TC) has to jump to avoid injury - is that a foul even though no contact is made or is it a dive if you fall
- as TC did v Cardiff?
Problem is refs don't understand the game as most never actually played it to a decent standard

grandad

Refs should not be immune to retrospective punishment. They should also be given bans for making errors which affect the outcome of a match. Trouble is all the refs would be banned & none left to officiate.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bobbo

remembering from when I was running referee courses many years back, red cards can only be given for 3 or so incidents i.e. Violent conduct,serious foul play, and persisting in misconduct after receiving a caution ( yellow card ) may be one more my memory is fading.
1975 just leaving home full of hope