watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (10/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 10, 2018, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham will concentrate on the league after FA Cup exit - but it doesn't always help

We've crunched the data and had a look at whether being knocked out of the third round really does help you 'concentrate on the league'

Being knocked out of the FA Cup third round doesn't really help you to "focus on the league," data reveals.

Crashing out of the FA Cup is never fun, even if it is by a Premier League side.

But in times of such crisis, there's always the comforting thought that at least you'll now be able to concentrate on the league.

The logic is straightforward enough.

Your team play fewer games, which means fewer injuries, fewer tired legs and more time for league match preparation.

However, over the last 10 seasons, teams who were knocked out in the third round of the cup don't do much better in the league than they did in the previous season.

On average teams have finished just 0.1 places higher up in the league after a third round exit than in the previous campaign.

Fulham have only been knocked out in the third round twice over the last 10 seasons.

In 2007/08 Bristol Rovers beat them only for the Cottagers to finish one place lower in the league than in the previous campaign.

In 2015/16 it was Sheffield Wednesday who did for them but Fulham went on to finish three places lower in the league.

The biggest leap made by a single team was in 2008/09.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

Peterborough had finished second in League Two the previous season.

They were then knocked out by West Brom in the third round of the FA Cup in 2009 and managed to finish in second place of League One - a leap of 24 places in the football pyramid.

The next biggest leap was by Norwich in 2010/11.

They finished top of League One the season before being knocked out by Leyton Orient in the third round. That season they went on to finish second in the Championship and win promotion to the Premier League - a leap of 23 places.

It doesn't always work out like that though.

Tranmere Rovers finished 21st in League One in 2013/14 - 65th in the English football pyramid.

They were knocked out of the third round by Swansea the following season before finishing bottom of League Two - that's a fall of 27 league places, the largest of any losing third round side in the last 10 seasons.

In total 290 teams (50%) in the top four divisions of English football saw some sort of improvement in league position while 266 (46%) finished lower down the table.

A total of 47 finished 10 or more places lower down the league, while 74 finished 10 or more places higher.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-concentrate-league-after-fa-14129603

WhiteJC

Fulham hit back to earn victory at Aston Villa

Cottagers move to within two points of Villa in table after beating their play-off rivals at Villa Park

Fulham recovered from conceding an early goal to beat Aston Villa 3-1 at Villa Park and close to within two points of them in the Division 2 play-off places.

Aaron Tshibola marked his first match back from a loan spell with Milton Keynes Dons by giving Villa the lead on 26 minutes.

But in an extraordinary start to the second half, Fulham scored three times in 10 minutes to take control.

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson, Mikolaj Kwietniewski and an own goal by Easah Suliman turned the match on its head, although both clubs remain in the top five.

Next fixtures

Aston Villa: 15 Jan v Southampton (A) PL2
Fulham: 12 Jan v Reading (H) PL2

https://www.premierleague.com/news/588388

WhiteJC

Hungarian Football Legend Zoltán Gera Visits Old Club Fulham FC

On Tuesday evening, a well-known guest paid a visit to Craven Cottage, home stadium of the British Championship club Fulham FC: Zoltán Gera. While he was only there for a short stopover, according to social media sites some of fans would be still happy to see him on the team again.

Zoltán Gera, often dubbed the 'Magical Magyar', arrived in England in 2004 to play for Birmingham side West Bromwich Albion. After fruitful seasons there, he was signed by the London-based Fulham FC, and played for them between 2008 and 2011, an extremely successful period for the club. He played a major role in Fulham's record 7th place finish in the Premier League (the top level of English football), and during the team's European run, when they reached the Europe League final, only to be defeated in the final by Spanish giant Atletico Madrid. He was the first Hungarian player in the last 25 years to play in a European cup final. In 2013, Fulham FC's homepage called him one of the 10 best free transfers of all time.

He returned to West Brom in 2011, but due to injuries, he only played 30 matches in 3 years. Nevertheless, his wonder goal against Liverpool will always be remembered. He then returned to Hungary, to his previous club, Ferencváros, and in 2015 he managed to qualify for the European Championships with the Hungarian national team, the first time Hungary had made the tournament in 44 years.

Despite a troubled childhood, with his enthusiasm, modesty, intelligence and humility, anywhere he played, Gera was one of the favorites of both fans and coaches alike. He is arguably one of the best Hungarian players of the last two decades. Famous English manager Bryan Robson once described Gera as "a top player, every manager wants to have players like him," and praised his attitude and his professionalism.

Even with the passing of time, it seems that Gera's popularity hasn't diminshed: when he entered the pitch with his daughter before kick-off, fans greeted him as though he were still on Fulham's starting roster.

http://hungarytoday.hu/news/zoltan-gera-back-fulham-23897

WhiteJC

Report: Tony Pulis wants Kevin McDonald as first Middlesbrough signing; could face competition from Sheffield Wednesday and Glasgow Rangers

Rangers won the trio's most recent midfielder battle, bringing Graham Dorrans to Ibrox last summer.

Tony Pulis wants to make Kevin McDonald his first Middlesbrough signing, but Sheffield Wednesday and Glasgow Rangers are also keen on the 29-year-old, the Sun reports on page 50 of its printed edition on Tuesday.

Rangers won the trio's most recent midfielder battle, bringing Graham Dorrans to Ibrox from Norwich City last summer.

McDonald is said to be rated at £1.5 million, despite having started all but four of Fulham's Championship fixtures this season.

The Sun reported last summer that Fulham wanted £7 million to part with the Scot, who has attracted interest from both Sheffield Wednesday and Rangers in the past.

A return to either Sheffield - where he spent two seasons with Wednesday's rivals, United - or Scotland - the country of his birth - could appeal to McDonald if offered.

Middlesbrough, though, may also be viewed as an attractive destination, given the club's placing on the outskirts of the Championship play-offs.

The former Dundee, Burnley and Wolverhampton Wanderers player has 18 months left on his Fulham contract.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/09/report-tony-pulis-wants-kevin-mcdonald-as-first-middlesbrough-si/

WhiteJC

New signing: Elijah Adebayo

Cheltenham Town have this morning completed the loan signing of striker Elijah Adebayo on loan from Sky Bet Championship club Fulham.

The 20-year old London-born player, who has been with Fulham since the age of eight, has signed a deal until the end of the season having recently penned a new long term contract at Craven Cottage.

Elijah is a strong, powerful and quick forward player who has progressed through the Fulham development teams and gained further experience with non-league loans at Slough Town and Bognor Regis Town.

The 6ft 4ins player scored 11 goals for Fulham's Under-23 team in the first half of the season and Robins boss Gary Johnson believes he is now ready for a taste of EFL first team action.

"We've been keeping an eye on Elijah for a little while now. He caught my eye when I was down at Fulham a couple of years ago and he is obviously a bit further on now and the top scorer in their Under-23s.

"He is probably just about ready now to go into League Two football and Fulham trust us because I've had a few of their players before that have done well. We are lucky to get Elijah and I don't think he has been that far away from Fulham's first team.

Cheltenham Town have this morning completed the loan signing of striker Elijah Adebayo on loan from Sky Bet Championship club Fulham.

The 20-year old London-born player, who has been with Fulham since the age of eight, has signed a deal until the end of the season having recently penned a new long term contract at Craven Cottage.

Elijah is a strong, powerful and quick forward player who has progressed through the Fulham development teams and gained further experience with non-league loans at Slough Town and Bognor Regis Town.

The 6ft 4ins player scored 11 goals for Fulham's Under-23 team in the first half of the season and Robins boss Gary Johnson believes he is now ready for a taste of EFL first team action.

"We've been keeping an eye on Elijah for a little while now. He caught my eye when I was down at Fulham a couple of years ago and he is obviously a bit further on now and the top scorer in their Under-23s.

"He is probably just about ready now to go into League Two football and Fulham trust us because I've had a few of their players before that have done well. We are lucky to get Elijah and I don't think he has been that far away from Fulham's first team.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/january/adebayo-signs/

WhiteJC

New Deal & Loan For Adebayo

The Club is pleased to announce that Elijah Adebayo has penned a contract extension, tying him to Fulham until the summer of 2019.

The powerful striker, who turned 20 on Sunday, has also joined Cheltenham Town on loan until the end of the season.

He could make his debut for the Robins, who currently sit 14th in Sky Bet League Two, when they host Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Adebayo took in successful loan spells at Slough Town and Bognor Regis last season, scoring a hat-trick on his debut for the former, but will now get the chance to sample Football League action for the first time.

"I'm really pleased to sign a new contract," said Adebayo. "I've worked really hard this year and I'm just looking forward to kicking on over the next year and half.

"People always told me that the harder you work the luckier you get. I've taken my chances this year when they've come but it is really about kicking on and taking the next step.

"I'm really looking forward to testing myself in the Football League, I've had spells at different places but not in the League so it will be nice to get out and show what I can do, hopefully scoring a few more goals."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/09/new-deal-and-loan-for-elijah-adebayo

WhiteJC

Fulham's Rui Fonte determined not to give up despite 18 games without a goal

Fonte arrived at the club in the summer and it hasn't gone to plan so far - but he's determined to prove his worth

Rui Fonte is determined to prove his worth at Fulham - stating he won't give up despite a difficult start to life at Craven Cottage.

The 27-year-old made the move from Braga, where he was captain, to Fulham in August, signing a three-year deal having been there since 2016.

He scored 12 goals for the club and so far has only hit the back of the net once for his new side, with that goal coming against Ipswich back in August.

That's a run of 18 games without a goal, but the Portuguese striker insists he won't give up and will continue working as he aims to start getting more goals to his name.

He said: "I need to do my part as well, I know that, but the most important thing is that I won't give it up, that's the main thing.

"I won't think about anything else, I want to help the team, I am happy, the team is winning in the league too so I will just need to do my part and try to find a way to fit into the team.

"Abou (Kamara) is doing really well lately and it's good for him, it's good for me too because it is competition and we just need to find the fit.

"As a striker, you need that, I'm trying to find it but I'll keep on working and I am focused and I trust myself and I'm sure I will get it.

(Image: John Walton/PA Wire)

"You watch the game and us players, we felt that but after that they won 1-0 and they go through to the next round, at the end that's it.

"I think the second half I felt better, but I'm trying - first half could've been better but I just need to get the chances, I think more than that I need to get them and overall I can't be happy."

Fulham went out of the FA Cup to Southampton in a 1-0 defeat, and despite now being the club can concentrate on the main target of getting promoted, Fonte says he's disappointed because he wants to play as often as possible.

Her added: "We want to make the most of every competition we go into but the main one is the league and we want to be in the top so we'll be focused on it like we are every week.

"We like to play, it doesn't matter if it's a Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Wednesday, especially the FA cup which is a big competition for every club so if we were playing that would be good but we'll focus on the league. "

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-rui-fonte-determined-not-14129697

WhiteJC

Fulham face battle to keep hold of key man as Premier League side show interest

Swansea City have identified Fulham's Ryan Fredericks as a key January transfer target with the right-back heading into the final six months of his contract.

Despite a mixed start to the season for the Cottagers, Fredericks has been a very consistent performer and it has caught the attention of the Premier League side according to Sky Sports.

New Swans boss Carlos Carvalhal is believed to have prioritised the signing of a right-back in the new window and whilst the Londoners would be reluctant to sell, his contract situation puts the club in a tricky situation.

Should Fredericks not agree a new deal at Craven Cottage he would be able to leave the club on a free in the summer. Therefore, the possibility of cashing in on the player whilst they have a chance may appeal to the Fulham hierarchy.

The former Spurs player joined his current side from Bristol City back in 2016 and has managed to establish himself as one of the best attacking full-backs outside the top-flight.

The Verdict

Losing Fredericks would be a massive blow for Fulham and it's really poor that they've let his contract run down.

Whether a move to Swansea, given their situation, is a step up is debatable as there's still a chance that the two sides could switch divisions come May. Plus, Fredericks may have plenty more attractive offers on the table.

For Fulham it's probably worth taking the risk and not selling the right-back on the cheap as they are unlikely to get a better replacement and he could be key to a late promotion push.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-face-battle-to-keep-hold-of-key-man-as-premier-league-side-show-interest/

WhiteJC

Elijah Adebayo: Fulham striker joins Cheltenham Town on loan

Elijah Adebayo joined Fulham's youth set-up at the age of eight

League Two side Cheltenham Town have signed Fulham striker Elijah Adebayo on loan until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old, who is yet to make his debut for the Whites, agreed a new 18-month contract at Craven Cottage before completing his move to the Robins.

Adebayo had spells at non-league Slough Town and Bognor Regis Town last season.

"We've been keeping an eye on Elijah for a while and he is probably ready to go into League Two," Town boss Gary Johnson told the club website.

Meanwhile, Kyle Storer has left Cheltenham after his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

The 30-year-old midfielder scored four goals in 101 appearances for the club after joining from Wrexham in the summer of 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42621398

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham lead Lewis Grabban chase, believe they can get him for £7 million

Fulham, Bristol City and Wolverhampton Wanderers are all being credited with interest in Grabban.

Fulham are leading the chase for Lewis Grabban, according to the Daily Mirror (live blog entry 09:18). The Sun reports (page 50 of Tuesday's printed edition) that the Bournemouth striker is a £7 million target for the Cottagers, Bristol City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

And, according to the Daily Mirror, Fulham believe they can get Grabban for that price.

Grabban was recalled by Bournemouth last week following a productive spell on loan to Sunderland, in which he scored 12 goals in 19 Championship outings.

And the Daily Mirror reports that the Cherries are hopeful of sealing a permanent deal for the 29-year-old.

Fulham are mounting another late push for the Championship play-offs, and currently sit four points and as many places outside the top six.

The Cottagers, however, are still eight points behind fourth-placed Bristol City and 21 behind runaway leaders Wolves.

But a return to London with Fulham could appeal to Croydon-born Grabban, who began his career at Crystal Palace and also played for Millwall and Brentford before spells at Rotherham United, Bournemouth and Norwich City.

The Premier League side paid £7 million to re-sign the player two years ago.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/09/report-fulham-lead-lewis-grabban-chase-believe-they-can-get-him/

WhiteJC

Fulham target Premier League striker in January swoop

Sky Bet Championship side Fulham are looking into buying Bournemouth striker Lewis Grabban, according to the Daily Mirror.

The 29-year-old has been playing at Sky Bet Championship side Sunderland for the first half of the season and Grabban found the net twelve times from 19 League appearances while on-loan at the Stadium of Light. However, the Cherries recalled the on-loan striker and are hopeful of moving the front-man on from the Vitality Stadium permanently.

Fulham remain the front-runners in terms of signing the striker as the Daily Mirror reports that they can offer the Premier League side a sum of £7million,

Bournemouth may choose to delay making a decision after a number of Sky Bet Championship hold interest in the striker.

Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers both showed interest in purchasing Grabban, but Cardiff City's recent form has seen them mount a promotion push and signing the striker would only improve their chances.

Sunderland had lined up Liverpool's Ben Woodburn to come in, however the highly rated 21-year-old is set to sign for his boyhood club Oxford United in an attempt to get regular football.

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe recently confirmed that Grabban would be returning to the Vitality Stadium before being sold, however his potential destination is not yet decided.

"It was a mutual decision between the clubs. Grabban wanted to end his spell with Sunderland so I think Lewis will move on in this window." he said.

"When that will be and who that will be to? We don't know."

http://the72.co.uk/96341/fulham-target-premier-league-midfielder-january-swoop/

WhiteJC

Barnsley Away Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's match against Barnsley on Saturday 27th January (3pm) are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members.

The Whites travel to South Yorkshire for their last game of the month with advance tickets priced at £23 for adults, £16 for over 65s and young adults aged 17-12, £10 for under 17s and just £5 for under 16s.

Follow Fulham Away with tickets released on General Sale from 10am on Friday 12th January.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/09/barnsley-away-on-sale

WhiteJC

Ryan Fredericks: Swansea City target Fulham right-back

Ryan Fredericks won one cap for England's Under-19 side

Swansea City are interested in signing Fulham right-back Ryan Fredericks.

The 25-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and could therefore be available for a reduced fee of around £3m.

Fredericks is a fast, attacking full-back who has made 26 appearances in all competitions for Fulham this season.

He started his career at Tottenham and had loans at Brentford, Middlesbrough and Millwall before a move to Bristol City which lasted less than a month.

Fredericks left Ashton Gate after just 25 days in 2015 to join Fulham, where he has made 92 appearances.

Swansea are in the market for a right-back, having failed to complete the deadline-day signing of Barnsley's Andy Yiadom in August 2017.

The Swans' current right-backs are Kyle Naughton and Angel Rangel, who is out injured.

They have since been linked with Augsburg's Ghanaian defender Daniel Opare, another who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Fredericks' ability to play at left-back would also help Swansea, whose only senior specialist left-back at the moment is Martin Olson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42621378

WhiteJC

Rangers linked with £1.5m move for Kevin McDonald

Rangers have been linked with a £1.5million move for ex-Dundee midfielder Kevin McDonald.

Kevin McDonald has been linked with both Middlesbrough and Rangers. Picture: Getty

The Sun are reporting the Ibrox side are ready to do battle with Tony Pulis as the latter looks to make the Scotsman his first signing at Middlesbrough. McDonald is currently at English Championship club Fulham. He's been a mainstay in the team since signing in the summer of 2016.

The player has also enjoyed spells at Burnley, Sheffield United and Wolves, as well as loan periods with Scunthorpe United and Notts County.

A former Scotland under-21 international, McDonald has yet to win a senior cap despite being called up to the squad on a number of occasions.

Rangers have already signed Jamie Murphy and Sean Goss on loan from Brighton and QPR, respectively, and are looking to bolster their squad further in the hope of closing the gap on Celtic at the top of the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/rangers-linked-with-1-5m-move-for-kevin-mcdonald-1-4656931

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup: Swansea

The Under-18s FA Youth Cup Fourth Round fixture has been announced and the Young Whites will travel to Swansea City on 17th January in a 7pm kick off.

Fulham beat Huddersfield Town in mid-December to progress to the Fourth Round of the prestigious tournament.

The draw was made before the Third Round so Fulham knew that either Swansea or Chesterfield FC would be waiting if they were able to return from Yorkshire with a win.

The Welsh side beat Chesterfield 2-0 at home to get to this stage with goals from Oli Cooper and Shaq Wynter-Coles.

Fulham have played the Swans twice already this year in the league, with one draw and a loss for the Young Whites.

Back in August a late Cameron Thompson strike earned Fulham a point in South Wales, and in their last fixture before the winter break Nicolas Santos-Clase scored a consolation penalty at Motspur Park after Swansea scored in both halves.

If the tie is level extra time will be played, followed by penalties.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/09/fa-youth-cup-swansea

WhiteJC

adidas Runners Session

We've teamed up with Main Team Partner adidas to take over their Runners club for a one-off special session that aims to provide participants with an insight into full body conditioning, injury prevention and running technique.

The session will cater for all abilities and will be led by Head of Fitness at Fulham FC, Ally Harris, alongside an adidas Runners Captain.

Taking place in Fulham on Monday 15th January, access to the event is free of charge with a limited number of places allocated via a ballot.

Successful entries will be contacted via email by Friday 12th January with more information on the event to be provided.

Also on the day, adidas will have a special trailer onsite showcasing their latest running shoes. Participants will have the opportunity to test out these trainers for the session itself.

To register your interest simply click the button below and follow the instructions on the adidas event page.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/09/adidas-runners

WhiteJC

Who is Fulham defender Ryan Fredericks and why are Swansea City interested in signing him?

Here's everything you need to know about the man being linked with a move to the Liberty Stadium

Swansea City have Fulham defender Ryan Fredericks firmly in their sights as Carlos Carvalhal looks to clinch his first signing since arriving at the Liberty Stadium.

Here's everything you need to know about Fredericks.

Ryan Fredericks in action for Fulham against Hull City

Who is Ryan Fredericks?

Ryan Fredericks is a 25-year-old defender who currently plays for Championship side Fulham.

What position does he play?

Fredericks is primarily a right-back, but he can also play in the right and left midfield positions as well as on the left side of defence.

Which other clubs has he played for?

Fredericks is a graduate of Tottenham's youth academy, but he made just four appearances for Spurs' first team and signed a permanent deal with Bristol City in 2015 after loan spells with Brentford, Millwall and Middlesbrough.

But less than a month after joining the Robins, Fredericks signed for the Cottagers having made just five appearances in all competitions for Bristol City.

He featured 32 times in all competitions in his debut campaign at Craven Cottage and made 34 appearances during the 2016-17 season as Slavisa Jokanovic's side suffered play-off heartache.

Fredericks has already racked up 26 appearances in all competitions for Fulham so far this season.

Does he have any international experience?

The versatile defender has one appearance for England's Under-19 side to his name, and he is eligible to play for Guyana.

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Fredericks possesses blistering pace while his versatility means he can fill a number of various positions on the pitch.

But he has often been accused of showing a lack of composure in attacking positions, something that the Swans would no doubt look to improve if they were to secure his services this month.

Why are Swansea City interested in signing him?

The defender is out of contract at the end of the season, meaning his market value will be significantly lower than it would have been in the summer.

His versatility will also be a huge bonus for Carvalhal, and the Swans have struggled at right-back of late, with Kyle Naughton missing games through suspension while club stalwart Angel Rangel has been injured.

He could also provide cover for Martin Olsson who is the only recognised left-back in the first team.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-fulham-defender-ryan-fredericks-14132570

WhiteJC

PL2 Fixture Update

The Under-23s' match against Reading in the PL2 this Friday has been moved from Motspur Park to Craven Cottage. The fixture is now the 12th January in a 7pm kick off at the Club's main stadium.

Fans are invited down to come support the team who currently occupy the final play-off spot of the PL2. Entrance for the match is free for season ticket holders, £3 for adults and £1 for concessions.

On Monday evening Peter Grant's side made it 19 from a possible 21 points in their away trip to Villa Park.

The Under-23s also had their away fixture at Middlesbrough postponed in December due to a frozen pitch, this will now be played at the Middlesbrough FC Training Ground on Wednesday 24th January at 1pm.

Live updates will be provided for both matches on the Club's official twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/09/pl2-fixture-update

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: The Transfer Window has opened, but what's in store for Fulham this month?

With 2017 firmly behind us, the New Year brings a fresh start for everyone, but could there be some fresh faces arriving at Craven Cottage this month?

Well, I think it's safe to say that the rumour mill will be in full flow this month, with many of the stories set to focus on the likes of teenage superstar, Ryan Sessegnon. Although the fans are in for a month Sessegnon being linked with every top European club, I'm fairly confident that the talented youngster will stay with the club this season. He's well looked after, and is a regular starter at our club and that could be something he may not achieve elsewhere. Even though, we'll have to endure a month of rumours linking him with the likes of Real Madrid, PSG & Manchester United; unless a silly offer of around £40m or higher is received, I really can't see the club selling their prize asset this month. Personally, I have a lot of faith in Sessegnon, and I think he knows that he is at the best club for his development right now, and with him becoming one of the first names on the team-sheet at this age, I really can't see him jumping ship in a similar style to Patrick Roberts anytime soon.

There will definitely be a lot of movement around the club this month, and if I'm honest, I think a lot of the moves will be players being off-loaded rather than flooding through the gates to the club.

One of the first names that could be leaving Fulham this month is Austrian defender, Michael Madl. Many news outlets are now linking the defender with a move back to FK Austria Wien. With the Austrian struggling to find regular game-time under Slavisa Jokanovic, the move makes a lot of sense, although I will be sad to see him leave. Madl arrived during Kit's reign and made an immediate impact, and even last season formed a strong partnership with Tomas Kalas. Despite some strong performances, the resurgence of Tim Ream pushed Michael Madl down the pecking order, and with Jokanovic preferring to use Dennis Odoi at centre-back, Madl's time is coming to an end.

Another player that has been linked with a move away is defender, Ryan Fredericks with Premier League sides, Swansea & Stoke City interested in the former Spurs man. This is an interesting story, as the club have denied receiving any contact from the aforementioned clubs, but it's a story that has definitely gathered some pace in the last 48 hours. Maybe, it's a story driven by his agent, considering the player only has six-months left on his contract, and talks over a new deal stalled in the summer. I'd hope the club keeps Fredericks, as I believe he makes such a big impact on the side, especially with his pace and contributions in the attacking third of the pitch. But, if there was concrete interest, I wouldn't be too surprised if the club decided to cash in around the £4m mark. While, it would be hard to replace the attributes that Fredericks has, that sort of money for a player with just six months left on his contract, could make financial sense. I hope the story ends with Fredericks receiving a new contract, as I've been really impressed with how he's developed in the last two seasons, and I think he'll only get better with time too.

Finally, for the departures, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the summer signings that have failed to make an impression are moved on. Yohan Mollo and Jordan Graham are the first two names that spring to mind. Both wingers have failed to feature heavily in the starting eleven, and with their game-time limited to reserve team football, I'd expect the loan for Graham to be cut short, to free up some space for new faces, while Mollo will either be sold for a nominal fee, or his contract mutually cancelled. If you had told me if this would have been the case at the start of the season, I would have been shocked. With Mollo's early cameos and career, I really thought he would take this league by storm and have a strong impact on our season. While, after hearing the glowing references from Wolves fans about Jordan Graham, I honestly thought he'd be a player that would be part of that front three rotation, but for one reason or another, they have both struggled to be a part of Slavisa Jokanovic's plans.

As for the rumoured arrivals, Bournemouth forward, Lewis Grabban continues to be mentioned. After scoring twelve goals for Sunderland this season, Grabban decided he no longer wanted to play at the Stadium of Light, and his loan spell was terminated. Now he is back at his parent club, Bournemouth, Eddie Howe has confirmed that the striker is looking for a permanent move this month; with Fulham, Aston Villa, Cardiff City & Wolves all reported to be interested in the forward. For me, I don't think Lewis Grabban is the much-needed forward for our team, and that may come as a surprise to some fans. Despite, his goal-scoring record this season, he's been very inconsistent for the past few seasons, and hasn't consistently delivered for a season since his first season at Norwich City, during the 2014/2015 season. Furthermore, with the player reported to earning around £30,000 a week, plus Bournemouth wanting a fee around the £3-5m mark, I think our money is better invested elsewhere.

Not only that, but Grabban isn't a target-man and I feel that's the role we are most lacking up front in our current squad, with Fonte failing to deliver after his £9m move in the summer. With Kamara now finding his feet in this division, I think a move for Grabban would hinder AK47's development, and with the Bournemouth striker now 29 years old, there's better options to pursue. If there is money available to sign a forward, I'd still like the club to take a second look at Wout Weghorst at AZ Alkmaar. Weghorst was the player, I wanted to sign instead of Rui Fonte for a number of reasons, and with value around the £3-5m mark, any potential Grabban money could be spent more wisely by going Dutch. The Dutchman was enquired about back in the summer, and after another impressive season in the top division in Holland, the 25-year old, 6'6 striker looks a real talent, and someone that I would adore at the club. A player of his stature would provide the focal point we've lacked this season in the final third, and would provide the squad with a real target man, something we utilised so well with Chris Martin, before the contract & McClaren affair.

Finally, with the upturn in form from AK47, I have a feeling that the board may not invest in a striker at all. Considering the £14m that was spent this summer on Rui Fonte & Aboubakar Kamara, with one of them now firing, the board may think the money could be invested in another position, and if so, I hope the money is invested in the defence, which has been our weakness all season. With Denis Odoi and Marcelo Djalo our only options as back-up for Tomas Kalas & Tim Ream, should either defender be suspended or injured in the second half of the season, our defence could be even weaker, and that's something we really can't risk, should the aim of this season still be to achieve a top six finish.

Outside of the world of transfers, I think we've been very lucky to have finished 2017 within touching distance of the play-offs. At times, we've looked very lacklustre and often lacked any real cutting edge, but somehow we're only four points behind sixth, and should the team have a good run of form early in the year, a top six finish is definitely achievable. As for the managerial situation, I've said a few months back that Jokanovic's honeymoon period as coach is well and truly over, and last season's achievements no longer mean anything. Now, the Serbian has to prove that he is the right man for the job, and the constant outbursts in press-conferences about the transfer situation and whatever else needs to stop. It isn't professional, and it doesn't bode well for any fans listening in and I'm sure it doesn't help the team's morale and confidence, while he throws his toys out of the pram in front of the cameras. These are conversations and aspects of his role that he needs to keep behind closed doors, and I'm confident these were things he was more than aware of when he signed his new contract last February.

After all, I think January will be a defining month for Fulham this season, and with the club now out of the FA Cup, the managerial and playing staff can now focus on the league and breaking into that top six. While, I'd love to see our club do all of its business early in the window, Fulham are notorious for leaving it late. So let's just hope there isn't any last minute distractions this window to de-rail any chance that we may still have of achieving promotion this season.

Thank you ever so much for reading. I hope you've all enjoyed the festive period, and I hope 2018 is a massive success for you!

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/1/9/16860192/the-craven-corner-the-transfer-window-has-opened-but-whats-in-store-for-fulham-this-month

WhiteJC

As Fulham drop Kevin McDonald's price-tag, is it the best chance yet for Nottingham Forest?

Fulham are reportedly ready to accept reduced offers for Nottingham Forest's summer target Kevin McDonald and Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough are keen.

The likes of Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon may have hogged the headlines but Kevin McDonald was just as integral for Fulham as the Championship's most exciting side reached the play-offs last season.

The Scottish midfielder was an ever-present in the centre of the park with his consistency and class making him one of the undisputed first names on Slavisa Jokanovic's team sheet. No wonder Fulham slapped a £7 million price-tag on his head during the summer transfer window, HITC sources told us.

That was £4 million more than Nottingham Forest were prepared to pay for one of the Championship's most underrated performers. But half a season later, it appears that Fulham are a little more open to the idea of letting McDonald go.

The Sun (9th January, page 50) reports that Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough and Rangers are keen to sign the uncapped Scot, and Fulham may be willing to listen to offers of around £1.5 million. For such a reduced fee, Forest would surely be foolish not to launch their hat squarely into the ring.

Newly appointed manager Aitor Karanka has a tough task galvanising a Nottingham Forest slide whose slide down the table over Christmas led to the sacking of manager Mark Warburton.

But the pragmatic Spaniard's hopes of turning the East Midland giants into a genuine promotion candidate would undoubtedly be aided by the addition of McDonald, a classy and combative midfielder who could add both creative and destructive qualities while reducing the reliance on the ageing David Vaughan.

With McDonald's price tag dropping by £5.5 million, surely Forest cannot miss an opportunity to try again.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/09/do-fulham-drop-kevin-mcdonalds-price-tag-best-chance-yet-for-not/