watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Al Fayed Woah, Al Fayed Woah

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, January 20, 2018, 09:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Really needs to be dropped now in my opinion, along with take me home.

Taking nothing away from a good win today, or the great years that Fayed brought us, but he, or his family, haven't set a foot inside CC, since the sale.

Yes, it's nice for him to be remembered, but, as a Club it's a bit cringeworthy now, and although the Kahn's have done nothing to deserve their own song, I'd rather songs be directed at the players.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

BestOfBrede

VicHalomsLovechild

I know he's not loved but he did bring us Slav. Got rid of Kline and Micheal Jackson. The back of the Hammy does have a sense of humour though. Maybe we could start with "Touchdown" every time we score a goal.

Barrett487

I think that part of the problem is that we don't have that many new songs, so we rely on our old ones.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 10:29:30 PM
Ok so can we also take down the statues of cohen and haynes, restore the proper name of the "stevenage road stand", re-name McBride's bar something like "the rose and thistle" and never sing "stand up if you still believe" or anything like that. oh and can we also take all references to the year 1879 off FFC merchandise.

no point living in the past.

Sorry, but you're taking things way out of proportion here, please just keep to the Fayed song.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 10:29:30 PM
Ok so can we also take down the statues of cohen and haynes, restore the proper name of the "stevenage road stand", re-name McBride's bar something like "the rose and thistle" and never sing "stand up if you still believe" or anything like that. oh and can we also take all references to the year 1879 off FFC merchandise.

no point living in the past.

Come on Statto, you know what the poster meant. We don't sing about 1879 and I haven't heard McBrides name sung recently. Our history is often brought up by those on here that were part of it. So it won't be forgotten. Would it be that terrible to celebrate the here and now?

Andy S

I enjoy that song and until somebody comes up with a better one it is fine by me

MrD1879

Definetly not cringeworthy paying homage to a man that gave us the greatest footballing journey of our lifetime. The Khans don't have a song because they don't bloody deserve one

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
Andy S has already answered the two comments above his very well for me

Why is it "cringeworthy" to sing about the person who IMO (actually it is probably a clear fact rather than just my opinion) has had a bigger positive impact on the club than any other individual in our history? Just because it was all of 4 years ago he left?

Also the "take me home" song is a throwback to the Europa Cup games, particularly Hamburg away, which was probably the best season in our history.

Honestly i must be missing something, don't understand the OP at all

Not to mention when we played at loftus road no? Was that pre Mo? I just love the songs tbh

Jimsbeerbelly

Why is it "cringeworthy" to sing about the person who IMO (actually it is probably a clear fact rather than just my opinion) has had a bigger positive impact on the club than any other individual in our history? Just because it was all of 4 years ago he left?

Also the "take me home" song is a throwback to the Europa Cup games, particularly Hamburg away, which was probably the best season in our history.

Take me home, Al Fayed? He's gone, ain't coming back, and what did that have to do with the Europa League run?? It was more to do with returning to CC, which we've done.

Move along, nothing to see here

Fernhurst

I agree with the op, it is definitely time to drop it.

However, until such time someone comes up with a rock solid classic the echo of MAF will continue to haunt the Hammy End.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 20, 2018, 10:55:59 PM

Take me home, Al Fayed? He's gone, ain't coming back, and what did that have to do with the Europa League run?? It was more to do with returning to CC, which we've done.

maybe you had to be there to understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCzYwXx7HCc

I was, twice, but it still doesn't have any relevance to the Europa League, just because it was sung there by a bunch of fans. Song was more aimed at Fayed, and our return to CC, which again, has come and long gone.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 20, 2018, 11:01:43 PM

I was, twice, but it still doesn't have any relevance to the Europa League, just because it was sung there by a bunch of fans. Song was more aimed at Fayed, and our return to CC, which again, has come and long gone.

What would you rather sing. Give us a song and we will sing it like we mean it.

Jonaldiniho 88

Id like cheer up sleepy jean, for timmy ream.

Jonaldiniho 88

Change the words. Ooh thats timmy ream, playing like a dream, for us, tim ream believer baby.

Wolf

They are heritage songs and Statto's comparison with Haynes and McBride are apposite
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Jonaldiniho 88

Think that melody could be one of the best terrace chants ever

gang

I have to agree with the post, take me home Al Fayed, we're home now find another song. Jimmy Hill saved our club, we don't sing for him.

Scrumpy

The 'He wants to be a Brit, and QPR are poo' one definitely needs to go. I DO cringe when I hear that one. God knows what the present owner makes of that one.

'Take me home' should stay, as it is part of our history and recalls the fight to get back to CC.

Compromise?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: Statto on January 20, 2018, 11:50:39 PM
Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 20, 2018, 11:01:43 PM

sorry, but just because it originated somewhere else, how does that mean it doesn't have any relevance to the Europa League? technically it's an old 70s tune by John Denver so you could say it has no relevance to fulham at all, if you're going to be like that. however Ask any normal person who was at hamburg away what they think of when they hear/sing that song and maybe you'll understand the relevance.

I just said, I was there, twice, even in and around when that song was being sung. It still has no relevance to us being in Hamburg, the draw, the game, or even going back to the final. If anything, is was sung as a feel good factor, that is it.