watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosh Chamberlain

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, March 17, 2018, 05:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I got off the train at Stoneleigh after the game and walking home I heard a voice behind me say 'How did the lads get on?.
Turning around I was surprised to see that it was Tosh Chamberlain, although he does live locally and I have seen him in the past.

He said that it was sad about Stan Brown, and that he has an open invitation to the ground, although he does not go very often these days.

I won't mention his aged appearance as he is not much older than me!

Fernhurst

Tosh is 83 bless him.

It was Tosh who persuaded The Maestro to sign for us as they were mates and Tosh was already signed up.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

BedsFFC

Nice story. Why have I never heard of Stoneleigh?

grandad

Met him & The Maestro many times when they visited my neighbour opposite. Had many cups of tea & cake with them.
Where there's a will there's a wife

FFC365

Met him at the funeral of Jim Langley at Breakspear Crematorium, he was disappointed that Mark Lazarus of QPR and himself were the only footballers in attendance. Good loyal Fulham man. 

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Why have I never heard of Stonelieigh?

Most of it is in Epsom and Ewell and part of it is over the boundary in Sutton and Cheam

It has a historical connection with both Fulham and Chelsea because of the number of players who,liodged around here and apparently the local pub then called The Stoneligh was the place to see JohnnynHaynes, Jimmy Hill  and other players, playing snooker on a Saturday evening.

cmg

Before becoming the home of Tosh Chamberlain, Stoneleigh practically owed its existence to the Southern Railway.
This is what it looked like when the SR opened their station on the Waterloo-Epsom in 1932:

The developers, who kindly donated the land and met half the cost, knew they were on to a good thing. The facilities had to be enlarged within 7 years because there were so many commuters.
There was for years a faded Wimpey advert on the end wall of the row of buidings on the up side. It advised a price of £728 freehold for a semi - payable at 11/5 a week!

RaySmith

I remember Tosh well, on the left-wing, joking with the crowd, being moaned at by JH, firing cannonballs- sometimes brilliant goals, sometimes off target, and waiting outside the Cottage after games to get him and the others' autographs.
He was coming towards the end of his illustrious career then, so I'm very glad I had the chance to see him play.

Like Stan Brown, whom I saw play many times, a true Fulham legend - both real characters in their own ways. They don't make them like that anymore.

bigalffc

At one point Tosh had recorded the longest kick in football -he kicked it over the stand into the river and it floated for over 4 miles I think. Great character  092.gif
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

dopple

I went to school with his son John and Tosh would sometimes be at school football games. He could kick a ball harder than anyone I've ever seen.

jarv

What happened to Stan Brown? I must have missed something.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: jarv on March 17, 2018, 08:50:20 PM
What happened to Stan Brown? I must have missed something.
He passed away yesterday. Minute's applause today. Announcement on the club site.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

Have we ever had a better character or a plyer with a stronger shot than Tosh.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Quote from: sunburywhite on March 18, 2018, 05:17:20 PM
Quote from: filham on March 18, 2018, 12:41:16 PM
Have we ever had a better character or a plyer with a stronger shot than Tosh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Howfield
Now that I have been reminded I remember Bobby Howfield but with all due respect I can't see anyway that he rates being on the same page as the legend that is Tosh.

toshes mate

Quote from: dopple on March 17, 2018, 08:23:25 PM
I went to school with his son John and Tosh would sometimes be at school football games. He could kick a ball harder than anyone I've ever seen.
When I first saw Tosh I couldn't believe how hard he hit the ball and had visions of nets busting on many occasions.  Great character too, especially his banter with the Maestro.   He could kick a corner flag some distance too :-)

KJS

I actually lived in Epsom when I was younger and we always went to the Indian on Stoneleigh Broadway on a Friday after the pubs shut for a nice Madras, good that seems like light years ago but it was really good :003: