Main Menu

Does Odoi keep his spot?

Started by Milo, March 26, 2018, 11:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does he keep his spot?

Yes
No

Milo

He has proved to be the epitome of the Jokanovic style. Together with Ream, by no means the traditional towering central defender but a good instigator of attacks.

That is, until his defensive error before the break leading to QPR equalising.

Jokanovic has traditionally made reactive changes to big errors - notably in the past Sigurdson and Madl being dragged off early in games due to slip ups. Keeping Odoi on the pitch was a refreshing change for him and might signal his intent that he is actually confident in Dennis despite the minor blip.

Yet will Odoi indeed be on that starting team sheet come Good Friday? You decide.

We Are Premier League

Ream's late trip home from the states is always a concern after international games

Milo

Quote from: Statto on March 27, 2018, 12:09:38 AM
Quote from: Milo on March 26, 2018, 11:57:24 PM
Jokanovic has traditionally made reactive changes to big errors - notably in the past Sigurdson and Madl being dragged off early in games due to slip ups. Keeping Odoi on the pitch was a refreshing change for him and might signal his intent that he is actually confident in Dennis despite the minor blip.

I actually think more often, Jokanovic has forgiven defenders (and formerly Button) for getting caught in possession, because it's a pitfall of the unusual (in this league) style that he forces them to play.

I think Madl and Sigurdsson were dropped because they were just plain awful all round. I remember Sigurdsson going off, and it was probably the most inexplicably terrible individual performance I've ever seen... up there with that random bloke who persuaded Graham Souness he was George Weah's cousin in the 90s. 

Nonetheless I'm still a massive fan of Kalas so IMO Odoi should give way.

Poor old Madl. I can't defend the mess that was Sigurdsson but I felt sorry for Madl. In early games he was like Ream these past few months - a solid, unpassable wall. I think he fell away slightly with the odd moment of being outpaced and the one or two defensive errors in games conceding goals and then fell out of favour and hence opportunities. Which I suppose is fair on balance but I always saw a good player for the money we paid with good leadership qualities.

Anyway, Odoi..

..FOF..

Most likely Yes, if Kalas is still recovering.

50 50 if he have strong competition during training and have to redeem himself there.

Fernhurst

Jokanovic forgave  Bettinelli's butter fingers mistake the previous week but assisting QPR to snatch a point is a heinous crime therefore Kalas returns for me
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fulham 442

QPR were all over us the second half.  Yes it was a terrible mistake by Odoi that led to their equaliser but there were still 10 minutes left to play and I'm sure they way things were going that  they would have got another goal later.  None of our players performed well on the day, apart from Ream.  Anyway as to the OP's question Odoi for me.

berba

For a football player, good visual acuity is critical.  You need to be able to see the ball clearly. Think about when the football is flying through the air to an intended receiver.   Many players see the ball as quite small, but those with good depth perception may see it as much larger. Obviously, the larger the ball appears, the easier it will be to catch. If a player has a vision problem, difficulties will extend even beyond the football field and a few dropped passes.  He will notice a myriad of vision-related symptoms, such as headaches, difficulty reading, low attention spans, and tired eyes. Odoi should give way.

toshes mate

I am hoping there is a bit more to SJ's selection rationale than one off mistakes or being a fan-of-favourite.  Fulham's problems against QPR were of their own making after taking a two-nil lead and I sincerely hope that issue was addressed immediately after the game.  Injuries cannot be sidestepped but mistakes can be.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: mlangstrom on March 27, 2018, 12:00:38 AM
Ream's late trip home from the states is always a concern after international games

He's not in the US team.

VicHalomsLovechild

Denis stays for me. Most goals conceded are due to a mistake somewhere on the field. We didn't play well second half and to be fair to the Haha's they deserved something from the game. The records intact and all to play for at Norwich.

Twig

MJG

Kalas should be back in for me. He's a proper CB and while Odoi has covered well and he is exactly that, someone who can cover.
Just the views of a long term fan

twang

Let's not forget that Denis made a couple of crucial blocks in the second half, which would have resulted in goals otherwise. He made an awful mistake, sure, but his allround performance that day and before doesn't justify him being dropped IMHO. Much like the case with Betts after Preston.

Holders

Everyone misplaces a pass from time to time, it's just more conspicuous if you're a defender. It's a consequence of the passing game: Tigana/Melville.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

With the type of game we are playing that critical error by Odoi was the game changing mistake waiting to happen. Opponents must be aware  that the continual short passing across the field at the back presents them with an opportunity and are therefore waiting to pounce.

Never the less it was a mistake and Jocanovic will have to take account of it but it will be tough if he loses his place becaause of it.

However if Kalas is fit then he may well deserve a recall.

grandad

For the next game I would keep Odoi in the starting side & see if the error still plays on his mind.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Odoi has many a good quality. But he isn't a central defender. Kalas is and if fit should step back in. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bill taylors apprentice

Kalas was playing for the Czech Republic in China.

If fit he should play.

Odoi's mistake cost us the points and as good a job as he's done at CB, his mistake was coming as far as I'm concerned.

Yes he made some timely blocks and interventions but you would expect that from any decent defender! 

Milo

I feel this is all a bit harsh. Mistake was coming? Perhaps generally given the style we play but not Odoi in particular. Defensively bar the error he didn't do much wrong.

Lesson learnt and keep him at CB. Especially seeing as it looks increasingly likely we will make playoffs regardless now and Odoi is staying here next season and Kalas isn't.

All in all the scales tip quite a bit in his favour

SuffolkWhite

Yep mistakes happen abd Odoi will redouble his efforts. Also Kallas is going to be knackerd if he played in China! Odoi for me.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"