watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mick McCArthy to leave Ipswich

Started by Lighthouse, March 29, 2018, 11:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Nero

Manager Mick McCarthy will leave Ipswich Town when his contract expires at the end of the season, the Championship club have confirmed.

The ex-Wolves and Sunderland boss, 59, is the longest-serving manager in the division, having arrived in 2012.

He guided the Suffolk club to the play-offs in 2014-15, and the Tractor Boys are now 12th in the second tier.

Earlier this month, McCarthy insisted he would not leave before the summer despite criticism from some fans.

He met with Ipswich owner Marcus Evans on Wednesday, with the pair deciding a change was "in the best interest for all parties".

Evans told the club website: "It never got to the point where we actually talked about a new contract. It just felt right that it was time for us both to look at different options.

"In his six years here he has made us a very competitive club in what is a very competitive league. No one looks forward to playing Ipswich.

"Mick will see out his contract here and then we will look to make an announcement regarding his successor in due course."

McCarthy's assistant Terry Connor will also leave Portman Road after their final game against Middlesbrough on 6 May.

"I had a good discussion with Marcus and we feel this is the right thing to do for me and for Ipswich Town," said former Republic of Ireland manager McCarthy.

"I won't be leaving with any regrets. I have given everything for Ipswich Town and I will see out my contract in the same way."

Analysis: 'The players will be gutted'

John Wark, FA Cup and Uefa Cup winner with Ipswich

I think the players will be gutted. I think there's a really good connection between the manager and the players.

I see that, they stick together - but you can tell with the manager and the fans that it wasn't there.

Whoever comes to this club, if he gets a bit of money, he's still got the basis of a good team. A lot of these boys are good players and I think, with just a bit of extra money, we'll be all right.

Bassey the warrior

No great surprise, managers like that need results because the football served up is so dour and the fans won't put up with it indefinitely.

Southcoastffc

He's only 59 - he'll turn up at some other Championship/League One club next season.   
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

twang

He's done well there with little or no resources.

hovewhite

bog

What ever is said about Mick he is honest with his after match comments. After we won 2-0 there this season he said 'call the Police there has been a murder on the pitch!' He thought we were absolutely brilliant.

092.gif

filham

I have always had time for Mick McCrthy, a solid honest manager who calls it as he sees it.
It would be interesting to se how he would perform with a club that could give him a fat transfer budget

aaronmcguigan

-Mings 8m to Bournemouth
-Murphy 3m to Newcastle
-Cresswell 5m to West Ham
-Having the owners name instead of big sponsors over 10year period
-big focus on loan signings limiting sell on value even of free signings (e.g. Malone)
-Attendances vary 15-25k

How does this club have no money? How have they literally achieved nothing in his 6 years there? the zero risk / zero return policy they have going on there is a bit too safe especially in a league where teams literally throw money at it to get promotion.
I know the previous comments say there is little or no resources. But shouldn't that just spur on development of youth team, or buy in young and low value to sell on high value, or try and maximise turnover via sponsorship/ hospitality? All of the things we seem to be doing, on a similar turnover I'd assume based on attendances

Mince n Tatties

Also had horrendous injury list since start of season to put up with.

HV71

I don't dislike him - obviously I prefer what we have by a country mile . But he is pretty honest  - and certainly a better chap than Warnock Big SAM or Pullis

bahay18

Living in the area ,the ipswich fans are fed up with the style . But i think Mick has done an outstanding job with no budget. Might be a case of careful what you wish for the ipswich fans . Wouldn't want to ever see Mick in charge at the cottage but he will sort another struggling team out.