watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will tiredness cost us in the playoffs?

Started by Bassey the warrior, April 30, 2018, 03:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

It is a concern for me that players will struggle in the playoffs from burnout as Joka hasn't rotated much in the last few months. There's been a noticeable drop in performance levels over the past 3 games and I suspect a big part of that is tiredness. There's also an emotional stain to chasing Cardiff for so long.

I do rather fear for our chances in the playoffs.

Robbie

Eight full days off before Birmingham. Then four days, then hell, then a good week?    Four games in twenty plus days?

MJG

It did last year but I think squad stronger and fitter all round.
Just the views of a long term fan

filham

So right the oly spot with any sighn of rotation , all other positions seem to haveplayed game ater game wihout a break.

Also at the end of the Sunderland game Cairney was carrying a knock  and Target was off injured. Our good fortune with injury may have ended.

Lighthouse

I tend to think players like Cairney have struggled of late. Either with injury or fatigue. The Birmingham game will be very tough and physical. Reading playing Cardiff has really only one result. I would rest a couple of players for Birmingham. The argument that we would be kicking ourselves if Cardiff slip up is a non starter. We may pick up more injury problems and still not get the right result with a Birmingham side who have hit a bit of form of late bar their last outing.

I don't say we need wholesale changes. But the play offs will need our very best players in their very best form. Not a few who are walking wounded. It's a gamble whatever we do. However I would tend to be ina minority and say we need to have a team rested and fit and if that means rested a couple Sunday then so be it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 30, 2018, 04:33:32 PM
I tend to think players like Cairney have struggled of late. Either with injury or fatigue. The Birmingham game will be very tough and physical. Reading playing Cardiff has really only one result. I would rest a couple of players for Birmingham. The argument that we would be kicking ourselves if Cardiff slip up is a non starter. We may pick up more injury problems and still not get the right result with a Birmingham side who have hit a bit of form of late bar their last outing.

I don't say we need wholesale changes. But the play offs will need our very best players in their very best form. Not a few who are walking wounded. It's a gamble whatever we do. However I would tend to be ina minority and say we need to have a team rested and fit and if that means rested a couple Sunday then so be it.

Do you think we should rest key players like Mitrovic, Sessegnon and Cairney?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on April 30, 2018, 04:35:26 PM

It depends who is fit. We have been without Kabano and Ayite and if Target isn't fit then it may make resting Sess more of a problem. We would have to mess with the back four with Odoi at left back and bringing back Kallas. Cairney looks to be the real problem. But depending on who is available. Then resting all three would not be beyond possibility if it meant a fitter, fresher team in the play offs. As I say I know I am in a minority.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

hovewhite

As we are,also think the team after Brentford game recovered well.
As for the play offs ,who knows also we've never won a playoff game and if it's Boro or Preston they will be a problem,so feel we need to better Cardiff result sunday by them drawing  and is winning.

Milo

It was 50:50 before but with our 2-3 injuries I feel the choice has been forced on us to stick with our best side. Adrenaline will have to take us over the line.

One positive is that our style of play is slow build up c.f. constant harrowing/chasing down.

choice_of_ends

Our lads are 100% fit. We have a small squad, but pretty few injuries. Means Joka's training and physio support is great. All professionals, so no worries.

Only issue to concern about could be mental strengths or better weaknesses. Chasing so long and without success in the end might be worse than slip in at the last moment.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on April 30, 2018, 04:35:26 PM

Cairney, because of injury, has 'only' played 33 games (incl 4 as sub) this season.  Stef Jo has played 44 (incl 4 sub) , Sess 45, Ream 43, Freddo 43 and KMac 41.  Mitro hasn't played much at all this season - 21 incl his Newcastle apps.   IF fatigue is a factor, I'd be most concerned about Stef Jo and KMac, whose energy output in most games is simply immense.  BUT I think at this stage with 1 or 4 games to go I don't think it's an enormous problem.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

YankeeJim

TC, Sess and depending on his ankle, Target should sit. Birmingham isn't that good. I'd have the lads start slow and let Birmingham run themselves out, look to nick a goal or even settle for a draw. If Cardiff wins, nothing we do matters. If they lose, a draw will send us up. The off chance of a positive results is not worth the risk of having a sub par TC & Sess in three playoff games.
Automatic promotion would be grand but lets not lose sight of the real goal.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

NogoodBoyo

100% the manager's choice.
Nogood "he knows, we don't, see," Boyo

YankeeJim

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on April 30, 2018, 05:57:59 PM
100% the manager's choice.
Nogood "he knows, we don't, see," Boyo

Perhaps. However, there were a few times in my life when the boss expected extra effort.........
And I wasn't chasing a loose ball in the 85th minute either.

Woolly Mammoth

Whatever costs us in the playoffs, if anything does at all.
It shouldn't be tiredness.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

If and shouldn't.
Selective words which imply the fear of something Fulhamish happening.

There's no mime for a primal scream so just imagine that thing in the pit of our collective stomachs coming out with force.  075.gif

Southcoastffc

Quote from: YankeeJim on April 30, 2018, 05:53:31 PM
TC, Sess and depending on his ankle, Target should sit. Birmingham isn't that good. I'd have the lads start slow and let Birmingham run themselves out, look to nick a goal or even settle for a draw. If Cardiff wins, nothing we do matters. If they lose, a draw will send us up. The off chance of a positive results is not worth the risk of having a sub par TC & Sess in three playoff games.
Automatic promotion would be grand but lets not lose sight of the real goal.
are you suggesting that (a) we assume that we won't get the automatic place and (b) that therefore we should conserve energy levels by resting players but (c) that Tc and Sess should be the only players rested?  If I have interpreted your argument correctly, I don't get your logic.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

RaySmith

We have to go for it in the Brum game, with our strongest possible team.

I expect the team to run out up there  with no other idea than to win, urged on by our massed fans, who will expect nothing less than 100%.

This is a chance to go up, albeit dependent  on what someone else does, but  the Birmingham game is something  that is in our own control - tough as the game will be. Cardiff could well slip up, and also we don't know what will happen in the play-offs - we could rest players and still lose out.

hovewhite

It's great you are all so confident.im not re play offs.
Also things in my control I'm 100% sure ,things like play offs as more than me people wise no guarantee.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: YankeeJim on April 30, 2018, 06:43:26 PM
If and shouldn't.
Selective words which imply the fear of something Fulhamish happening.

There's no mime for a primal scream so just imagine that thing in the pit of our collective stomachs coming out with force.  075.gif

I feel as though I am on board a ship in a storm in high seas rocking the vessel from port to starboard after I have just eaten a giant steam pudding laced in thick chocolate.
But with regards to the tiredness train of thought.
As we are a team that lets the ball do the work with our system of play, then we should be able to manage these extra matches, bearing in mind the ball never gets tired.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.