watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will tiredness cost us in the playoffs?

Started by Bassey the warrior, April 30, 2018, 03:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EastEndWhite

I cannot see Slavisa deciding to 'rest' anyone and would see it as a betrayal of everything he has achieved so far this season.  Yes Cardiff are in the driving seat but come the end of the match on Sunday we could be back in the premiership.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Statto on April 30, 2018, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: EastEndWhite on April 30, 2018, 08:15:35 PM
I cannot see Slavisa deciding to 'rest' anyone and would see it as a betrayal of everything he has achieved so far this season.  Yes Cardiff are in the driving seat but come the end of the match on Sunday we could be back in the premiership.

Agreed

I don't think we should rest anyone but at least what we *should* do is something you can debate.

There is no point debating what we *will* do, because it's an absolute 100% certain concrete foregone conclusion that what we *will* do is play our best XI and go all out for the win.

Fully concur.  That is all Slavisa ever works towards.
Nogood "one game at a time, sweet Jesus, isit" Boyo

YankeeJim

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 30, 2018, 06:48:12 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on April 30, 2018, 05:53:31 PM
TC, Sess and depending on his ankle, Target should sit. Birmingham isn't that good. I'd have the lads start slow and let Birmingham run themselves out, look to nick a goal or even settle for a draw. If Cardiff wins, nothing we do matters. If they lose, a draw will send us up. The off chance of a positive results is not worth the risk of having a sub par TC & Sess in three playoff games.
Automatic promotion would be grand but lets not lose sight of the real goal.
are you suggesting that (a) we assume that we won't get the automatic place and (b) that therefore we should conserve energy levels by resting players but (c) that Tc and Sess should be the only players rested?  If I have interpreted your argument correctly, I don't get your logic.

We are playing a team in 20th place that can only go down under a really odd set of circumstances. Not likely to happen. Reading is not likely to beat Cardiff even if they were motivated and I really doubt that they will be. Time to take the missus to the beach. To me, to put TC and Sess out there to a bunch of thugs who will target them is much more of a risk, because with those two healthy we have  much better odds of gaining promotion than the odds of Reading winning. Why risk those two (among others) when it most likely matter? As a side note, if we're in a battle and find out that Cardiff is two up at the half, then my can sub out others. If Reading is up, we bring on the big guns.
My creative writing teacher would penalize for choppy language, but I think I conveyed my logic.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Milo

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 01, 2018, 01:14:59 AM
TC, Sess and depending on his ankle, Target should sit. Birmingham isn't that good. I'd have the lads start slow and let Birmingham run themselves out, look to nick a goal or even settle for a draw. If Cardiff wins, nothing we do matters. If they lose, a draw will send us up. The off chance of a positive results is not worth the risk of having a sub par TC & Sess in three playoff games.
are you suggesting that (a) we assume that we won't get the automatic place and (b) that therefore we should conserve energy levels by resting players but (c) that Tc and Sess should be the only players rested?  If I have interpreted your argument correctly, I don't get your logic.

We are playing a team in 20th place that can only go down under a really odd set of circumstances. Not likely to happen. Reading is not likely to beat Cardiff even if they were motivated and I really doubt that they will be. Time to take the missus to the beach. To me, to put TC and Sess out there to a bunch of thugs who will target them is much more of a risk, because with those two healthy we have  much better odds of gaining promotion than the odds of Reading winning. Why risk those two (among others) when it most likely matter? As a side note, if we're in a battle and find out that Cardiff is two up at the half, then my can sub out others. If Reading is up, we bring on the big guns.
My creative writing teacher would penalize for choppy language, but I think I conveyed my logic.

I'll take some of that logic and apply it to the general consensus:

Start with full strength team. If Cardiff go 2-0 or 3-0 up at half time then consider changes.

JakeH

Sadly think it will be play offs, would have taken That when we were down in 17th earlier in the season but now I am so bloody nervous  :012:

RaySmith

We are still in with a good chance for second place.

Beat Brum, and  Cardiff, also under a lot of pressure, and who have suffered recent blips, which we haven't, could  do no better than draw with Reading, who will be desperate for a result.
It's entirely possible.

I know Fulham fans will be providing  their usual magnificent away support up at Birmingham, and expect to the team to leave  everything on the pitch.

Together We Can Do It.

COYSW!!!!!

colinwhite

For the team its one game at a game at a time and there is no way we will be resting any players . Jokanovic wants to beat Birmingham and see where that takes us . I believe he has told his players all along that it is the play-off s that is the main focus as that is a controllable factor for Fulham. What Cardiff do is out of his control.
The players will be fully focused on the play-offs and last years experience Will stand us in good stead. I do agree with Lighthouse that we need our best players to step up ,and not look to others. When the pressure has been on some of our better players ,notably Johansen ,Cairney and Fredricks ,have for me looked nervous and hidden a bit. 

toshes mate

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on April 30, 2018, 03:49:35 PM
I do rather fear for our chances in the playoffs.
Mmm, what playoffs?  Or have I been asleep for over a week?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 01, 2018, 01:14:59 AM

Thanks for expounding your thinking. I disagree. We have a chance of making 2nd place. In my view it would be crazy not to play our strongest eleven from the outset.  I
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Stevieboy

It's all immaterial....what will be will be.
We must go all out to beat Brum, the message that sends out to sixth placed is important.
It's Fulham, they don't give up, they don't play for draws they play to win....that's what they will be thinking.
However.......I do wonder what might have happened if Bobby Zamora had been fit for the Athletico game.
No rest no let up win every game we play....we'll be in the Prem with that mentality.

049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif KEEP BELIEVING  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

HobGoblin

Sorry but playing a weakened side is a stupid idea, we play our strongest team and play to our strengths to win the game. If Cardiff win so be it. But setting out with a negative attitude to team shape from the outset is just idiotic of a suggestion.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: HobGoblin on May 01, 2018, 09:10:24 AM
Sorry but playing a weakened side is a stupid idea, we play our strongest team and play to our strengths to win the game. If Cardiff win so be it. But setting out with a negative attitude to team shape from the outset is just idiotic of a suggestion.
I think 'Idiotic' is a bit strong, but agree with others that Joka will play his strongest team and hope that Cardiff fail.  Remember we don't need Reading to win, just avoid defeat.
Regarding the Play-Offs, every team from 4th to 6th, will not want to play Fulham!!
Last season we sneaked in at the death and struggled, this season we have been there for a few months, lead this amazing unbeaten run of 23 games and have a striker who can score goals!! All positives!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

VicHalomsLovechild

AK took his chance we'll on Friday. I'm pretty certain there are a few fringe players who would bit your hand off if they got a bit of game time either against Birmingham or in the play-offs. I think everybody at the club has done their bit to get us here and still in with a chance. We'll do it this year one way or another.

Andy S

I remember as a kid watching QPR play Sheffield Wednesday. We left the game with 5 mins remaining to catch the bus home. The score was QPR 2 Sheff Wed 0 We were shocked when we got home to find QPR had lost 3-2. In football anything is possible and there are no forgone conclusions. Slav should put out his best side possible for 90 minutes. Then we have done our best. That is all us supporters can ask

filham

The players that need a rest and that need to be fully fit for the play offs are Cairney, McDonald and Johansen. The only available player to fill in for them is Norewood, should we play with nine men.

Woolly Mammoth

I am confident we can beat Birmingham if we are firing on all cylinders.
As we know it's the Reading result that is out of our hands.
I am not bothered about Cardiff they have many shortcomings, despite their position.
It's Reading that worry me, can they keep a clean sheet I ask myself.
Because that's all they have to do, it's not too much to ask.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

They can play. We've had a difficult 17 game stretch from mid-Feb. On the 18th game, I am guessing they might be focused. I'd be.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 02, 2018, 11:50:12 PM
I am confident we can beat Birmingham if we are firing on all cylinders.
As we know it's the Reading result that is out of our hands.
I am not bothered about Cardiff they have many shortcomings, despite their position.
It's Reading that worry me, can they keep a clean sheet I ask myself.
Because that's all they have to do, it's not too much to ask.

They used to keep a clean sheet. What happened? They can pip Cardiff, but they would have to beat them at their own game. By hook or by crook?

HatterDon

our opponents and Cardiff's opponents Sunday will be just as tired avoiding relegation as we are fighting for promotion.

This whole "Joka needs to rest players" garbage is just laying the groundwork for massive "I told you so" posts should things not turn out well for us on the day.

Face it, some of the folks on this site have been itching and scratching for months as the team goes undefeated for a record number of matches DYING for the opportunity to criticize SOMEBODY.

This is May ... EVERYBODY IS TIRED.

Jeez, support the damn club, why can't you?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: HatterDon on May 03, 2018, 03:17:46 AM
our opponents and Cardiff's opponents Sunday will be just as tired avoiding relegation as we are fighting for promotion.

This whole "Joka needs to rest players" garbage is just laying the groundwork for massive "I told you so" posts should things not turn out well for us on the day.

Face it, some of the folks on this site have been itching and scratching for months as the team goes undefeated for a record number of matches DYING for the opportunity to criticize SOMEBODY.

This is May ... EVERYBODY IS TIRED.

Jeez, support the damn club, why can't you?

Chill out mate. I was just nervous, understandably. We don't have the best play off track record.