watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham - emotional highs and lows.

Started by Southcoastffc, May 09, 2018, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Picking up a point from another thread, I wonder what has been THE most emotional moment (good or bad) for you when watching Fulham?  Mine was at the final whistle of the game v Portsmouth almost exactly 10 years ago when Danny Murphy headed a goal about 15 minutes from time and it meant we avoided relegation from the Prem on goal difference.  I was watching the game in a pub in New Malden. The goal gave me about 20 seconds of air-punching euphoria but those last 15 minutes were agony for me.   At the final whistle I stepped out of the pub and couldn't stop shaking.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fulham 442

Full time at the Cottage after the game against Juventus and THAT goal from Clint!

Sherlock

That Gera goal vs Hamburg probably. Was watching it on TV with a Fulham friend and we both completely lost it.

At the Cottage, I still remember that game in 2014 vs Hull. The contrast from going 2-0 up and then when they equalised was so emotional. I really believe 3 points there and we would have stayed up.

Lighthouse

So many to pick from. Highs I will go for the home game with Lincoln when a draw would see us up and a defeat would see Lincoln promoted. It had been postponed from earlier in the season so was played in the evening. Roger Brown scored with a wonderful header but Lincoln equalised near the end and were all over us and we were in a panic. But we held out. What a night.

The lows comes from reading the headline on a newspaper on my way to work. We had been sold down the river literally and were in talks to merge with QPR for Fulham Park Rangers. Darkest time I can remember.

Somehow the European adventure was just a wonderful passing fad that meant little in the long run. But plenty of great memories.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

southwest6

apologies for bringing this up but my highest low has to be when diego forlan scored in the 117th (or thereabout) minute. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the game in Hamburg so ended up watching it on the telly with some of my family members. Don't think my heart had ever sunk so deep when the ball ended up in the back of the net..

What a season that was..... similarly to Sherlock, i'll never forget that moment zoltan scored against hamburg. Absolutely love reminiscing about football; have been predominantly living in Sydney for the last year and a half and whenever i get asked what i miss most about england, i usually answer FULHAM. Hope those travelling up to Pride Park on friday make themselves heard. Will not be sleeping friday night (4.45 am ko for me)

As i'm writing this many memories are popping up. Beating Man utd 3-0 at home was also pretty sweet - and again - zoltan getting a goal and doing a backflip! Great player he was

Twig

My greatest high was just walking back into the Cottage after our temporary relocation to QPR.  It was wonderful to see the old place refurbished and to know that we were home.

The semi final at Hamburg was just plain joyous and we partied the night away on the Reeperbahn.

I watched the Juve home leg from a bar in Austria having just skied off he slopes for the day. It took a few minutes to find a bar showing the match and we were 1 down.  What a come back, "There's a tidal wave on the Thames and Fulham are riding it"!

Worst moment was not the final at Hamburg when the 117th minute Forlan goal went in as I was still so very, very proud of the entire team.  Rather the worst low for me was probably as per Lighthouse when I read in the Standard (I think) that the crook of a Chairman was planning to merge us with QPR and develop the ground. Dark days.

bog

Mo Cook's non penalty v Burnley in the 1062 cup semi, Steve Earle's third goal on the break at Northampton in 1966 and Gera's goal v Hamburg.

092.gif

Southcoastffc

Quote from: bog on May 09, 2018, 01:57:54 PM
Mo Cook's non penalty v Burnley in the 1062 cup semi, Steve Earle's third goal on the break at Northampton in 1966 and Gera's goal v Hamburg.

092.gif
Mr bog - congratulations on supporting FFC for a staggering 956 years! :Haynes The Maestro:  082.gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

092.gif

Good heavens that was four years before the Battle of Hastings.
What a memory you have bog.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Very hard to know what was most emotional - maybe Ricky Heppolette's goal against us that cost us the Div3 title; Johnny Mitch vs Birmingham; the final whistle at Wembley, coming back from 2-0 down at Man City; the comeback vs Juventus; extra time vs Athletico...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Milo

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 09, 2018, 03:17:21 PM

092.gif

Good heavens that was four years before the Battle of Hastings.
What a memory you have bog.

At the time I thought The Battle of Hastings was one of our away wins in Sussex. Tell you what the pitches were awful back then. Never cut the grass. No touchlines, just got on with it. One keeper used to carry a cross bow. Got away with murder he did. Getting to and from the away games took a week on them coach and horses. Dick Turpin used to get on my nerves. Took my Fulham away chain mail top once. He used to follow Millwall as well as all the coaches. Us kids used to put suits of armour down for goals. The balls were made of bundles of leather off cuts...some were still wearing them when they were cut off. Nightmare to pump up. Robin Hood was a massive Forest fan.....he was on the wireless once on a smoke signal in.....   :dft001:

Ye thanks you and yea good olde night...

092.gif

Fulham Tup North

I try to forget about the bad ones, but some Great ones which will always stay with me:
Hamburg at the Cottage with my lad.....fantastic night
Birmingham away 1979, 3 down at half-time and Ivor hit a 2nd half hatrick to win the match 3-4
FA Cup away at Ashford Town, 2 down only for Micky Adams to hit 2 pens
FA Cup beating Swansea 7-0
Carlisle away......Director for a day, sat next to Jimmy Hill, he got abuse the whole game, yet when that ball hit the net to make it 1-2!! "Who put the ball in the Carlisle net..,"
Man City away, 2 down and religated!!! Only for that 20 minute comeback!
don't remember to many 0-0's to be fair! ⚽⚽😂
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

SP

Beyond the big ticket matches, unexpectedly wining at Oxford United in the League Cup in the 80s & losing at Grimsby in the play-offs.

filham

High - Tosh's hat trick all those years ago in the great defeat against Newcastle in an FA cup tie
Low- Vic Keebles equiliser for Newcastle in the same match when he bundled our keeper into the net.

But all hold your breath there could be a greatest moment in the next three matches, be sure not to miss it.

The Rock

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 09, 2018, 12:33:17 PM
Picking up a point from another thread, I wonder what has been THE most emotional moment (good or bad) for you when watching Fulham?  Mine was at the final whistle of the game v Portsmouth almost exactly 10 years ago when Danny Murphy headed a goal about 15 minutes from time and it meant we avoided relegation from the Prem on goal difference.  I was watching the game in a pub in New Malden. The goal gave me about 20 seconds of air-punching euphoria but those last 15 minutes were agony for me.   At the final whistle I stepped out of the pub and couldn't stop shaking.

:plus one:

That was it. I mentioned in the other thread you may be speaking of, when we were relegated, we deserved it,  no remorse. We stayed up in '08 and it mattered.

I also think it matters that this current squad gets promoted.

So, TBD.

Sir Alec of good Stock

High-John Mitchell 120th minute winner v Birmingham at Maine Road FA Cup semi final replay.
Low-2-1 defeat v Swansea City at The Vetch Field confirming relegation to Div 4.

Woolly Mammoth

Highest, Hearing that Felix Wolfgang Magath had been sacked after the midweek defeat away v Nottingham Forest.  :wine: 049:gif  077.gif

Lowest, was finding out that Sir Craven of Cottage had been replaced by Billy The Badger.  063.gif  0001.gif  1500.gif
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffc73

A high. Cambridge in the sunshine having won 1-0, the ground full of Fulham supporters with smiles on celebrating promotion after years of lows.  :yay:

A low. Odense at home. 2-0 up coasting, drew, knocked out of Europe & Jol's post match condescending comments about FFC. Fuming. Still  :031:

Southcoastffc

Quote from: FFC73 on May 10, 2018, 07:59:13 AM
A high. Cambridge in the sunshine having won 1-0, the ground full of Fulham supporters with smiles on celebrating promotion after years of lows.  :yay:

A low. Odense at home. 2-0 up coasting, drew, knocked out of Europe & Jol's post match condescending comments about FFC. Fuming. Still  :031:
I think Neil Etheridge, now Cardiff, was in goal for that Odense game? Made a few howlers as I recall.