watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stefan Johansen

Started by Southcoastffc, May 29, 2018, 08:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Unless I've missed it, I'm really surprised that the pass Stefan made to Sess in the lead up to the goal has not attracted attention.  It was superb. Danny Murphy at his peak could not have hit a better, incisive, laser-like pass to put Villa in disarray. Sess did wonderfully after a loose first touch and deserves the praise he's received but imo Stefan also deserves huge credit.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

the nutflush

Totally agree.  Was a peach.

bencher

Thought the same.

On a similar note - the pass to Johansen was from Cairney, who then simply strolled his way up the pitch to receive the lovely pass from Sess and dispatch us into the Premier League.

Mitch

It was a mis-hit. He was looking at Matt Targett - fortune worked out for us though!

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Mitch on May 29, 2018, 09:09:10 AM
It was a mis-hit. He was looking at Matt Targett - fortune worked out for us though!

You don't know that, best to give benefit of the doubt.

Bassey the warrior

Madman Maddle

Amazing pass from him and I was shocked that it almost went unnoticed. Also I don't agree that he is often singled out as the player who needs to be upgraded in our central midfield. Basically we should look for every position to be upgraded to create competition. But StefJo to me is a PL player. PL suits his relentless style, energy and creativity. He is a scoring threat from midfield which you need in the PL, great a creating chances for others and amazing defensive contribution. Despite some groin issues throughout the season he made 49 appearances for us this season.

I love McDonald and his graceful yet robust style in front of our defense, hope he can establish himself in the PL. But between him and StefJo, I think StefJo is more suited for PL football. Would be quite cool if we bring in a couple of quality PL midfielders - which we need to create competition - but our current players beat them out for starting XI.

filham

Sess and Cairney were a long way from their normal positions when the goal was scored. One of the attractions of our attack is their flexibility.

Horsfield_No9

I felt he was looking for Targett as that would be a more familiar move.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Southcoastffc

But watch the video again and look at the way he angles his foot.  Anyway, it worked!   049:gif 082.gif :wine: :yay:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

General

I  thought it was a fantastic pass and as key to seeing us score as either cairney's or sessegnon's roles.. it speed and directness and accuracy really caught villa off guard and all the fulham players reacted so quickly to it (a benefit of being the younger side)..

That incisiveness proved key.

Randomly I had always attributed it to Johansen but saw one journo say it was McDonald's pass, which it wasn't.

Mitch

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on May 29, 2018, 09:19:25 AM
Quote from: Mitch on May 29, 2018, 09:09:10 AM

You don't know that, best to give benefit of the doubt.

I mean, you can see him look at Targett and Targett make the run. It was pretty obvious! It's not a knock on him, just clearly obvious.

Mitch

Quote from: Madman Maddle on May 29, 2018, 09:32:19 AM
Amazing pass from him and I was shocked that it almost went unnoticed. Also I don't agree that he is often singled out as the player who needs to be upgraded in our central midfield. Basically we should look for every position to be upgraded to create competition. But StefJo to me is a PL player. PL suits his relentless style, energy and creativity. He is a scoring threat from midfield which you need in the PL, great a creating chances for others and amazing defensive contribution. Despite some groin issues throughout the season he made 49 appearances for us this season.

I love McDonald and his graceful yet robust style in front of our defense, hope he can establish himself in the PL. But between him and StefJo, I think StefJo is more suited for PL football. Would be quite cool if we bring in a couple of quality PL midfielders - which we need to create competition - but our current players beat them out for starting XI.

Stef Jo is a character and adds that dark arts side of the game, but he's a Championship player. Will be a squad player in the Premier League. I would have upgraded him even if we hadn't improved.

nose returns

i like to think that SJ hit a stunning pass, because for me TC's goal was goal of the day by a mile. A perfect team goal with clever passing, great movement, no little skill, and zero luck.
Not saying bale wasn't brilliant too but overhead kicks are a matter of luck and usuaklly the result of a misplaced cross or poor play in the lead up, nobody plays for an overhead kick..... our goal was perfection and I do love a straight ball between defenders for a diagonal run!

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Mitch on May 29, 2018, 01:58:35 PM
Quote from: Madman Maddle on May 29, 2018, 09:32:19 AM

Stef Jo is a character and adds that dark arts side of the game, but he's a Championship player. Will be a squad player in the Premier League. I would have upgraded him even if we hadn't improved.

I always think that on the ball StefJo most likely our most comfortable player.

FulhamStu

That first time straight fast ball into the forwards feet is a regular move we make.  It was totally intended for Sess, who's first touch was a little heavy but good enough for him to then gain control and deliver an exquisite pass that Cairney just need to guide into the back of the net.  A quality goal that totally summed up playing the Fulham way.

bencher

The thing about Johansen is he doesn't mind taking a risk with the ball. So many midfielders always look for the easy ball and you do need players who will try things. It won't always come off and it can be very frustrating, but it's part of what has made our midfield so effective the last 2 seasons.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 29, 2018, 08:13:41 AM
Unless I've missed it, I'm really surprised that the pass Stefan made to Sess in the lead up to the goal has not attracted attention.  It was superb. Danny Murphy at his peak could not have hit a better, incisive, laser-like pass to put Villa in disarray. Sess did wonderfully after a loose first touch and deserves the praise he's received but imo Stefan also deserves huge credit.

Totally agree.

simplyfulham

Quote from: filham on May 29, 2018, 10:58:57 AM
Sess and Cairney were a long way from their normal positions when the goal was scored. One of the attractions of our attack is their flexibility.

Yup.

Kamara makes a good little move inside and draws Hutton too narrow which allows Cairney in behind. And the sweetest bit is Terry playing about 2 yards deeper then the rest of the Villa backline, giving Cairney a bit of extra space to drift in behind.

Lovely stuff.

JOND999

i agree with the original post.  superb, direct, ambitious, intentionall ball from StefJo to Sess.  you need to ask questions, not just pass it back and sideways.  you never know what will happen. 

there is room on this squad for everyone that contributed to our promotion next year, as a starter or squad player, but we definitely need to bring in proven, quality PL players at every position to create competition and match day choices.

we need a big ugly to partner with Ream and need to sort out our striker options primarily.  Midfield was our strength and StefJo was a key part of that.