watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kit Symons

Started by Andy S, June 03, 2018, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Kit was very popular as a player and a manager but could promotion have happened under his watch in the same amount of time?

love4ffc

Interesting question.  If Kline was not in the picture would Kit have had more free reign to bring in who he wanted.  Could jave been looking at a completely different squad currently.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Fernhurst

We played some sensational football under Kit, despite him never having control of the squad to pick from.

Our club was behaving like Leeds for a while until Kit bought about some solidity and a rise up the table to 9th.
Then came a period when results turned sour and he was sacked when in 12th..... Despite some amateurs absorbing opinions who knows what may have been achieved given the operating system we now have.

Kit was one of our own and never ever deserved some of the vile treatment he received on this board.

Unlike Kit, Slavs experience was plain to see and he set about winning the power battle leading us ultimately to Wembley.
Still no requirement to rip into a guy who saved our season with more than one hand tied behind his back.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

hovewhite

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 03, 2018, 02:51:51 AM
We played some sensational football under Kit, despite him never having control of the squad to pick from.

Our club was behaving like Leeds for a while until Kit bought about some solidity and a rise up the table to 9th.
Then came a period when results turned sour and he was sacked when in 12th..... Despite some amateurs absorbing opinions who knows what may have been achieved given the operating system we now have.

Kit was one of our own and never ever deserved some of the vile treatment he received on this board.

Unlike Kit, Slavs experience was plain to see and he set about winning the power battle leading us ultimately to Wembley.
Still no requirement to rip into a guy who saved our season with more than one hand tied behind his back.

good post as was a good servant to the club

Riverside

Agree 100%
Kit was harshly treated
And harshly remembered by many
He inherited the Magath mess and had to work with Rigg

Still SJ we must agree is an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJG

My problem with Kit was he ditched the players I thought would work well with him... The youngsters.
When he started he used them and got results. When he signed Jazz and replaced Grimmer, who was just finding his feet after a rocky start, and he changed a few other things the team evolved away from what I thought he would be best with.
A very basic manager with basic ideas.
Just the views of a long term fan

Camel Club

Fabulous player for us and as a manager did a decent job in very difficult circumstances but ultimately Kit is a No.2; a very good No.2.

Woolly Mammoth

I thought at the time, Kit was a breath of fresh air after the Magath era, and being an ex player and on the staff at the time, it seemed to make sense.
Although I was a little surprised at his appointment, when others were being touted, but then I could see why he got the nod.
For a while he resurrected the team performances, and turned round the results. Although after Magath, maybe it wasn't that difficult, but I do not wish to take anything away from Kit, I expect there was a lot of hard work involved.
But then I started to realise that he was limited and his shortcomings were beginning to be exposed. To me he was not what I would call a charasmatic leader of men, that would turn heads when he walked into a room, and I think he needed to be a little like that to make up for his inexperience and any other shortcomings.
As has been said, he was just a basic manager at the time, and did not seem to have the confidence or desire to push through the youth, although he did identify Christiansen.
At the time I thought he was a little unfortunate to be relieved of his duties, considering what Magath and others had got away with previously.
Maybe his limitations caught up with him, as he did struggle sometimes with game management.
A quiet dignified man, maybe he was too quiet, and did not give out the right impression. Maybe he could not attract the right players which may have had a bearing on the decision to replace him.
Nevertheless, I also felt on the surface, that the way the club orchestrated his departure was poor and a little disrespectful considering he was a a good servant.
So I think he came out of the whole debacle looking a little better than the club did at the time.
Being sacked when in 12th seemed very harsh indeed. Although maybe i did think the signals showed his time was slowly coming to an end, but I just wasn't expecting it to end so abruptly.
I did feel a little sorry for him, as well as the way it was handled could have and should have been dealt with better imo.
But neither do I think he has the tools to be a No 1.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

I prefer to remember Kit as the guy who began the long climb back up the mountain after Magath's patent failure.  It's difficult to register how good Kit could have been for FFC given a longer time in post and I feel he will always be a better assistant than head coach given the eventual outcome.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 03, 2018, 09:23:31 AM
I thought at the time, Kit was a breath of fresh air after the Magath era, and being an ex player and on the staff at the time, it seemed to make sense.
Although I was a little surprised at his appointment, when others were being touted, but then I could see why he got the nod.
For a while he resurrected the team performances, and turned round the results. Although after Magath, maybe it wasn't that difficult, but I do not wish to take anything away from Kit, I expect there was a lot of hard work involved.
But then I started to realise that he was limited and his shortcomings were beginning to be exposed. To me he was not what I would call a charasmatic leader of men, that would turn heads when he walked into a room, and I think he needed to be a little like that to make up for his inexperience and any other shortcomings.
As has been said, he was just a basic manager at the time, and did not seem to have the confidence or desire to push through the youth, although he did identify Christiansen.
At the time I thought he was a little unfortunate to be relieved of his duties, considering what Magath and others had got away with previously.
Maybe his limitations caught up with him, as he did struggle sometimes with game management.
A quiet dignified man, maybe he was too quiet, and did not give out the right impression. Maybe he could not attract the right players which may have had a bearing on the decision to replace him.
Nevertheless, I also felt on the surface, that the way the club orchestrated his departure was poor and a little disrespectful considering he was a a good servant.
So I think he came out of the whole debacle looking a little better than the club did at the time.
Being sacked when in 12th seemed very harsh indeed. Although maybe i did think the signals showed his time was slowly coming to an end, but I just wasn't expecting it to end so abruptly.
I did feel a little sorry for him, as well as the way it was handled could have and should have been dealt with better imo.
But neither do I think he has the tools to be a No 1.

I
Well written WM, I liked the fella, but given the choice between Kit or Slav, two very different Management approaches. Slav has won the battle of the Transfers saga, Kline has gone, he now makes the decisions on who comes and who goes. Kit did not have this luxury. But as mentioned, could Kit have attracted the players we needed?
Let's ensure we keep Slav and sign him up to a long term contract!
COYW ⚽⚽😀😀👍
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

colinwhite

Kit was completely out of touch and didnt have it. end of story. Im sure hes a nice guy but bringing in jokanovic was a statement by the Khans of ambition. He has got us playing the sort of football that KS wouldnt know where to start ,as far as coaching is concerned.Sorry.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: colinwhite on June 03, 2018, 10:05:45 AM
Kit was completely out of touch and didnt have it. end of story. Im sure hes a nice guy but bringing in jokanovic was a statement by the Khans of ambition. He has got us playing the sort of football that KS wouldnt know where to start ,as far as coaching is concerned.Sorry.

You cannot compare the two, Joks coaching, tactics and vision are streets ahead in comparison, and it obviously was a good move to bring him in under the circumstances.
It may be more to do with the harsh criticism Kit received at the time, from certain quarters, which was possibly undeserved, but magnified by the way his departure was handled.
But if Jok has not been recruited, I do not think we would have had a day like last Saturday, with the football we have seen, in the last 18 months.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

itombomb

Obviously massively improved the atmosphere/environment after McGath, but it quickly became clear he was able to do little more than that and was tactically inept.

bill taylors apprentice

Going back to basics was what was needed when he took over and he steadied the ship.
Footballs full of people who know the game and can do a job in the short term, moving to the next level is the tricky thing.

Basic manager, basic team, playing basic football is what we would have been.
We could easily have become something like Rotherham or Wigan floating between the 2nd and 3rd tier for years to come.

bog

Twig

Quote from: toshes mate on June 03, 2018, 09:47:20 AM
I prefer to remember Kit as the guy who began the long climb back up the mountain after Magath's patent failure.  It's difficult to register how good Kit could have been for FFC given a longer time in post and I feel he will always be a better assistant than head coach given the eventual outcome.

Tend to agree with this assessment.

filham

Quote from: Riverside on June 03, 2018, 08:12:17 AM

Agree 100%
Kit was harshly treated
And harshly remembered by many
He inherited the Magath mess and had to work with Rigg

Still SJ we must agree is an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully agree, remember most of us were in favour of Kit being appointed and he didn't do too badly.
As to whether we would have achieved promotion with Kit at the helm, we will never know.

toshes mate

Quote from: colinwhite on June 03, 2018, 10:05:45 AM
Bringing in jokanovic was a statement by the Khans of ambition. He has got us playing the sort of football that KS wouldnt know where to start ,as far as coaching is concerned.Sorry.
I think the irony of SJ's appointment, which, as you say, showed the ambitions of the Khans, could have been the influence of Kline in establishing SJ's credentials as a football playing, top tier Championship level coach to them.  SJ already ticked all the boxes for the things Fulham needed, except, perhaps, for a recruitment process that actually worked well in every eventuality.  I agree that KS may have struggled to even dream up, let alone put together, the team that has just won a play off final.

@jolslover

ahahaa kit wasn't a good manager at all. Can't knock what he did here but he was playing Kavanagh on the wing ahead of Roberts.
STH H3

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on June 03, 2018, 11:25:52 AM
Fully agree, remember most of us were in favour of Kit being appointed and he didn't do too badly.
As to whether we would have achieved promotion with Kit at the helm, we will never know.
I was very much enthused by Kit and hoped he would one day turn the corner into being a first rate Championship coach.  But, to be fair, he didn't fully take his chance for reasons best known to himself.  I hope he still has the time to prove himself as a winning assistant coach because he is a good football man.