News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

£100 million spent, but have we improved defensively ?

Started by Riversider, August 11, 2018, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Looking at our back 4 today compared to last season, have we improved ?
For me it's a yes and a no,
Firstly, I was very impressed with Chambers and Le Marchand,  both looked very assured on the ball, and incredible to think that they've only had a few days together, with Mawson and Ream to add to the central pack we have undoubtedly strengthened in the middle,
Now the bad news, in my opinion, (and it is only my opinion) Bryan and Christie aren't a patch on Fredericks and Targett (and I'm not even a fan of Targett)
Bryan was very reluctant to try and get behind the full back today and his ball retention was piss poor, how many times did his passes go astray ?
When Palace upped the tempo out wide today they went past our full backs as though they weren't there,
As far as other options are concerned we've only got Fosuh Mensa to come , and if you believe the Palace fans, we shouldn't hold our breath as far as he is concerned,
The two full backs were pivotal for us last season, I hope we haven't taken a step back this season,

Mince n Tatties

Funny how people see a game different, I thought the transfer fees for Targett and Bryan were the wrong way round,Bryan looked the 15-20 million player today.

Woolly Mammoth

As has already been said on more than one thread already, we cannot expect too much yet.
We could have taken the lead before they scored, but their keeper was in fine form aided by our failure to finish off some really good passing movements.
Let's remember, our whole back 5 was completely new.
Not one of them started at Wembley, our final match of last season.
As well as the fact that Palace were very good and quick on the counter attack, and once they took the lead, Roy had them well drilled at the back.
Unfortunately for us, our first League match came a couple weeks too early.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 11, 2018, 08:34:44 PM
Funny how people see a game different, I thought the transfer fees for Targett and Bryan were the wrong way round,Bryan looked the 15-20 million player today.

+1

Facts Not Fiction

ffcthereligion

Fabri - couple of good saves but reckless and threw away any chance of salvaging a point. Can't see him remaining number 1
Christie - solid defensive work but lacked attacking pinache
Chambers - impressive, I imagine will stay first choice through the season
Le Marchand - did fine, not going to be first choice but a good signing who looks versatile
Bryan - very impressed, although can't take same risks in this division as the championship

Overall, yes we are better defensively than last season already

Jem

Early days. I was very impressed by Bryan. 7 new players at the start. Will take few games to settle down but it will come good.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

bornafulhamfan

Maybe an unpopular opinion,but I thought Le Marchand was the best player in the back five today. His passing was a bit off sometimes, but I think he didn't make any defensive mistakes. He is a cb after all, and I think that defensive part of the game is more important on that position.

Whitesideup

Good mix of views. First thing is to consider the class of the opposition; Zaha and Townsend - both very good players on their day. We had our work cut out to keep them quiet, certainly a big step up from any attack we had to face last year.

But I thought Bryan looked good, especially defensively. He is surprisingly fast, always an asset.

Carborundum

Quote from: bornafulhamfan on August 11, 2018, 09:08:32 PM
Maybe an unpopular opinion,but I thought Le Marchand was the best player in the back five today. His passing was a bit off sometimes, but I think he didn't make any defensive mistakes. He is a cb after all, and I think that defensive part of the game is more important on that position.
I liked Le Marchand and found him to be as similar to Tim Ream as Statto so memorably suggested. 

I dont think we have gone backwards, but play the way we do and we must accept the counter attacks are inevitable.  Palace in general and Zaha in particular are very very good at counter attacking. 

Statto

Quote from: Carborundum on August 11, 2018, 09:19:44 PM
I liked Le Marchand and found him to be as similar to Tim Ream as Statto so memorably suggested. 

If you're referring to the "Tim Ream in a beret" comment, that wasn't me. It was very good (Statto-esque you might say) but alas, not me. Can't remember which poster it was.

Nonetheless I agree MLM was very good.

SuffolkWhite

I think we will be fine in defence, just need time. Bryam looked good to me as did most of the team, but time is needed. I bet we get result at their place this season.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

HV71

Bryan was very impressive for his debut. What I liked most was the fact that he wanted to tackle and 'get stuck in' . Also he played some good balks forward for Sess. Right attitude  and looks to be a good addition .

S.F.Sorrow

When considering that half of our back four arrived at the club less than two days ago I think they did an admirable job. With all the late signings it was always going to be a difficult start to the season. The first half today was actually much better than I expected under the circumstances.

I won't pass any judgement on any of our new players until the whole team has had the time to settle in (Seri looked amazing though!). If things don't improve after the international break... then I will start worrying.

Sgt Fulham

I thought Bryan had a very good debut. Assured and physical as well as skillful and slotted in very well. He played an absolute peach of a ball with the outside of his foot to set Sess free at one point.

bornafulhamfan

Quote from: HV71 on August 11, 2018, 09:36:30 PM
Bryan was very impressive for his debut. What I liked most was the fact that he wanted to tackle and 'get stuck in' . Also he played some good balks forward for Sess. Right attitude  and looks to be a good addition .
I think our defense as a whole was fine. Fabri had some world class saves, but was bad in both situations where they scored. Think he maybe needs time. Bryan was great considering he had only one training with the team and will only get better. MLM was, as I already said, the best defender on our team imo. Chambers was great in both defense and offense, but has to take some responsibility for the first goal. Christie was great defensively, but I think he was really bad offensively. All in all, when Mawson recovers from injury, I would like Bryan-MLM-Mawson-Chambers back four.

itombomb

As I said in the Anguissa thread, the biggest element of improving defensively is having someone who will be consistently capable of stopping the opposition from being able to transition onto the front foot. McDonald isn't that guy, got bypassed multiple times.

Carborundum

Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2018, 09:23:45 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on August 11, 2018, 09:19:44 PM

If you're referring to the "Tim Ream in a beret" comment, that wasn't me. It was very good (Statto-esque you might say) but alas, not me. Can't remember which poster it was.

Nonetheless I agree MLM was very good.
Indeed I was and apologies to Tabby, who came up with it.

HV71

Palace finished in eleventh Place last season after a terrible start. Their forward line is impressive and better than any of the attacks we faced last season. Our defence I wasn't at full strength and hasn't had any real chance to become a unit .
personally I don't think Kalas or even Odoi and Ream would have made a huge difference to the outcome today . Yes a settled back line might have done better but that is currently not in our gift and will take time to achieve.
I'm disappointed for Betts - but have faith there must be a reason. As far as Fredericks ( I am a star )  goes then my own take is - thanks but good riddance ! His speech after the Wembley triumph was a disgrace and demonstrated why he will never be a team player and isn't worthy to wear the badge.