watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Aretha

Started by sunburywhite, August 16, 2018, 03:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mince n Tatties

"Respect" RIP Aretha.

nose returns

aretha?
the greatest voice of all
a woman who genuinely made everything she sang her own. he cover versions were often way better or more imaginative than the originals, and her originals cannot be matched.
what a talent.
what a loss.

she was generally undervalued like so many from the soul arena. it was for certain that white radio stations in the USA would not play 'race' music.
When you listen to her contemporaries from the standard pop genre, nobody came close and yet they, as now, were more successful commercially. today madonmna is being lauded for being 60. But shwe is the confrenece compared to aretha's champions league performances. it is a disgrace that aretha, etta james, mavis staples and a whole load more did and continue to not get the recogniotion they deserve.

Aretha, I say a little Prayer RIP

Woolly Mammoth

Aretha Louise Franklin, Magnificent Singer, one of the best, Rest in peace.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

A classic voice lost,RIO Aretha more than a little RESPECT.

cmg

Sad, sad, sad......but then you remember - her voice lives forever.

Lighthouse

When you consider all the struggles any black artiste had to go through in the States at that time. It is almost too mind boggling. But even if people were not a fan of soul music or Gospel. Hers was a voice that could cross over any style with feeling and genuine warmth. A truly great singer. Thanks for the joy you gave.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

love4ffc

A true queen who deserves R..E..S..P..E..C..T  :Haynes The Maestro:

May she rest in peace as the world has lost one of it's greats.   9739.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

brightster

I did see she was taken in hospital at the weekend, such a shame, Over 70 million albums sold.
I sad loss, the Queen of Soul.
RIP

Twig

Just so sad.  RIP Aretha.

HobGoblin

I grew up with listening to Think in the Blues Brothers, A sad loss, an amazing voice, thank you Aretha for all the beautiful memories you gave to me and countless others

Andy S

Yes very sad loss of a truely great singer. I'll say a little prayer for you. Total R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

kiwian

So the King of rock and roll and the Queen of soul die on the same date....
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Carborundum

She was utterly brilliant.  I'm sure she combined unbelievable talent with a ferocious work ethic.  I think back to her appearance in the Blues Brothers.  Everyone else got knockout songs, she got handed a lesser one that fitted with the plot.  She absolutely stormed it and showed practically everyone else in the film a thing or two about acting a cameo role.  What a professional.

Dr Know

Quote from: kiwian on August 17, 2018, 05:56:51 AM
So the King of rock and roll and the Queen of soul die on the same date....
Chuck Berry died march 18th 2017 !

kiwian

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Cambridge Pete

Another Joy of my youth departs. Will always regret that I never got to see her live. Thanks for all the memories RIP

alfie

Not my kind of music but a wonderful powerful voice
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

KJS

Gone but never to be forgotten as the Queen of Soul lives on through her music RIP Aretha you were a true Superstar  :Haynes The Maestro: