https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SJ contract rumour

Started by Barrett487, August 21, 2018, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesh

Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2018, 08:28:05 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2018, 08:16:43 AM
I have to disagree, plenty of posts on here were about getting him tied down.
IF it true and he doesn't want to talk about it now that's a disappointment in my book. I have 100% faith in him and would want him signed now. I understood the wait till the window is closed view, its closed let's get it done and move on. Two defeats have not changed my mind on Slav.

OK so hypothetically, out of interest, What if it was 5 defeats?
Bearing in mind that whilst some clubs, eg Palace, have started the season that badly and still survived, it's generally involved a change of manager.
If it was 5 defeats, I'd refer you to FulhamStu's post above...........our long term consolidation will probably involve a lot of initial growing pains, and I would prefer to look at the bigger picture and trust Slav to get it right in the long term. This is nothing like the de Boer situation at Palace with a brand new man starting at the club. I've seen enough of Slav to trust that even though it will take time for the players to get used to the pace of the Premier League, we will have enough in the end to avoid relegation, and that is all that matters this season. If we don't push on a little bit next season then that would be a different matter.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Statto

Hmmm, I think almost any manager goes if they start the season with 5-6 defeats. MJG I think you're being a bit disingenuous because you've said that on here in the past. Jokanovic has built up some credit over the last 2 yrs but this is a new league for him and almost a new team. He's also never managed a weaker team before, ie where the objective is to finish 14th rather than 1st.

To clarify, I have confidence in him and reckon we'll pick up 3-4 points from the next 2 games, but it's quite possible that in 10 days from now it could go the other way and there could be a very strong case for parting ways.

It doesn't make sense to me to extend a contract during such a volatile, uncertain spell. Seems to be a bit like standing next to an empty road for 5 minutes then when you finally see a car coming and will have to quickly jog across the road to avoid it, choosing that moment to cross. 

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2018, 11:30:52 AM
Hmmm, I think almost any manager goes if they start the season with 5-6 defeats. MJG I think you're being a bit disingenuous because you've said that on here in the past. Jokanovic has built up some credit over the last 2 yrs but this is a new league for him and almost a new team. He's also never managed a weaker team before, ie where the objective is to finish 14th rather than 1st.

To clarify, I have confidence in him and reckon we'll pick up 3-4 points from the next 2 games, but it's quite possible that in 10 days from now it could go the other way and there could be a very strong case for parting ways.

It doesn't make sense to me to extend a contract during such a volatile, uncertain spell. Seems to be a bit like standing next to an empty road for 5 minutes then when you finally see a car coming and will have to quickly jog across the road to avoid it, choosing that moment to cross.
I havent said i'd not sack him at five defeats have I? That is the kind of figure you should be looking at and asking whats wrong and why and I wrote that below "You are of course always reviewing and no manager is ever unsackable" 
No manger should have a blank cheque on what happens results wise. What I'm more intereted in following this story is how some now want to wait. 2 results and doubts already setting in for some?
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2018, 11:30:52 AM

When would you have liked Slav to sign an extension?
Just the views of a long term fan

Baszab

However great SJ is..... this fits his employment  history ...for some reason

FFCSteve

In my mind it may take more than 4-5 games before everyone starts pulling together, and we start getting results!
Stability is key now! No good sacking anyone until it is clear it's not working!
When the squad have settled, then will be time for a new contract for Slav!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Count Flapula

Unless I'm mistaken, the board have offered SJ a contract so are showing  they back him.

Breaking it down, Spurs away was never going to be easy to get any points vs a well established TEAM of high quality players. Vs Palace at home, in the context of playing a well organised, comparatively establish Prem team when we are fielding effectively an entirely new back 5 with zero experience of playing together competitively, I don't see that as reason to panic that SJ is not good enough is extremely premature given his track record with us. If we continue to lose then obviously his suitability must be revisited, but SJ being the one to put extension talks on the back burner himself is maybe IMO a LN honest decision from him and putting the club first, rather than anything sinister. I'm a firm believer that patience in the next few games is the way to go as there have been seeds of promise in our performances, and generally how the new guys have played so I'm fairly confident things will click. If they do then I'm sure SJ will be happy
To sign.

My concern was his comments about our longer serving players knocking on his door asking why they are not playing - I don't disagree generally with SJs selections of new players, but hopefully that comment isn't indicative of unrest in the squad causing a rift between the old and new players... If our team spirit is damaged by the sea change in our player roster then I fear that could be our major problem going forwards.

I sincerely hope SJ can manage the situation and that the players can use the competition for places positively  to fight harder for the benefit of the team, rather than create a negative atmosphere / create a divide between the two camps.

grandad

On reflection , Slavisa waiting till Christmas could be in the best interests of himself & the Club. If it is not working out position & points wise it will give us time to bring in a replacement with the January window to work with. If on the other hand all is as well as can be expected there is no reason why he should not sign a new contract.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Beamer

Maybe he is so confident that we will get it together and have a great season that he wants to wait and get an even better contract .................or not.

Barrett487

Quote from: grandad on August 22, 2018, 12:58:00 PM
On reflection , Slavisa waiting till Christmas could be in the best interests of himself & the Club. If it is not working out position & points wise it will give us time to bring in a replacement with the January window to work with. If on the other hand all is as well as can be expected there is no reason why he should not sign a new contract.

I agree with this, the only negative being the uncertainty it will instil in the players. If it's not working, or there's player unrest with SJ, it gives the club as many options as Joka.

Of course, if things take a down turn and he leaves, we could see Scotty as caretaker.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2018, 11:43:55 AM
When would you have liked Slav to sign an extension?

any time but now, hence my metaphor about crossing the road

any time from the play-off final up to the palace game would have been fine IMO

but i think the next two games, which are against the 3rd and 4th favourites to go down (according to Skybet, and excluding fulham) represent quite an important test. and the last two results, whilst they weren't "bad" viewed in isolation, saw jokanovic missing an opportunity to build himself some credit. if we'd have beaten palace, losing to burnley would surely be forgiven. but as it stands, as i've said, lose the next two and i think there's a real chance he could be gone. so having gone 3 months without signing a new contract, why do it now, before arguably a make-or-break next couple of games?

I'm not saying that's the way it should be, just saying, with the Man City game after these two, the way the stars have aligned, could put him/us in bother

west kowloon white

Don't think need to get too paranoid over a bit of speculative journalism in the Express.

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on August 22, 2018, 08:16:43 AM
I have to disagree, plenty of posts on here were about getting him tied down.
IF it true and he doesn't want to talk about it now that's a disappointment in my book. I have 100% faith in him and would want him signed now. I understood the wait till the window is closed view, its closed let's get it done and move on. Two defeats have not changed my mind on Slav.

I will not be changing my mind about SJ whatever happens - he is an absolute gem of a coach - but that may count for nothing so far as the signals that have actually passed between him and the owners, no matter what appears on social media.   The window shutting was obviously not what he was waiting for, and I gather, from the posts above, nobody actually knows what it is he is waiting for.   Clearly it isn't just a matter of signing a contract now the window has closed and the season is under way.   Does anyone actually know what the delay is?

FulhamStu

I find many posts on here quite odd.   Bringing in 80% a new team, playing well for significant periods v very good teams then after another few games sack the manager if the results are not good is absolute madness of the highest order.   It's the perfect way to totally ruin the club, not strengthen it.   Nearly everyone agrees the one thing we need is to give Slav and the team time, how the heck is firing him and most of,the first team coaching staff who have been massively successful for the club over the past 2 or 3 seasons going to help anything.  Some of the posts on here are the sort of thing I would expect on TIFF, from the wum and odd posters it attracts but not generally on here.   

The Khans are not idiots.

hovewhite

The Khan's now have a better take on football in general and seem to be learning from mistakes of the past few years.

Statto

Quote from: FulhamStu on August 22, 2018, 03:39:03 PM
I find many posts on here quite odd.   Bringing in 80% a new team, playing well for significant periods v very good teams then after another few games sack the manager if the results are not good is absolute madness of the highest order.   It's the perfect way to totally ruin the club, not strengthen it.   Nearly everyone agrees the one thing we need is to give Slav and the team time, how the heck is firing him and most of,the first team coaching staff who have been massively successful for the club over the past 2 or 3 seasons going to help anything.  Some of the posts on here are the sort of thing I would expect on TIFF, from the wum and odd posters it attracts but not generally on here.   

Show me all the other PL clubs who have left a manager in charge after starting the season with 5 defeats.
Obvious comparison is de boer last season sacked by palace after 5 games.
it will hopefully never become an issue for us but I can guarantee if he lost the next 3 games, 80% of fans would forget last season and want him out, and so would 90% of chairmen.
if you think otherwise you are very naïve and ignoring the history/facts of these scenarios.

HV71

Interesting though that Burnley stood by Dyche and they were relegated - only to come back even stronger and qualify for Europe. Yes history points to trigger happy chairman and fans getting rid of their managers but does not categorically mean that they were always right or that it was a good decision . Yes Palace putting in Roy proved to be the right move -  but managers of his quality are few and far between..
A club the size of Fulham requires consistency - whilst we can debate whether a change might be needed if we lost the next three games - for me it would be a mistake of quite epic proportions

RaySmith

Give Slav a new contract asap
Back the man and show confidence in him- the man who led us to promotion against all the odds.

Even IF we were to go on a losing run, sacking him would stll be an idiotic panic move in my opinion.

Remember - one game at a time.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Statto on August 22, 2018, 04:27:23 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on August 22, 2018, 03:39:03 PM

Show me all the other PL clubs who have left a manager in charge after starting the season with 5 defeats.
Obvious comparison is de boer last season sacked by palace after 5 games.
it will hopefully never become an issue for us but I can guarantee if he lost the next 3 games, 80% of fans would forget last season and want him out, and so would 90% of chairmen.
if you think otherwise you are very naïve and ignoring the history/facts of these scenarios.

Well I am sorry, the whole of this thread is just ridiculous, talking about sacking the manager after 2 games.
In my humble opinion, naive or not, sacking one of our best, and most successful managers in recent times at any level is madness to me, maybe not to you.   Football people whether fans or owners will get what they deserve if this was to happen and I can't promise you it would not be pretty.

Again, in my opinion Khan would not be so stupid.   Now if it is really tits up after 10 games you may have no choice. But not 5 games with a brand new team.  Teams that change managers often end up like QPR.   Changing our manager multiple time helped get us relegated and that was with the idiot Jol starting the season. 

So to repeat, if we were all over the place after 10 games, yes you would have to react.  After 2 games and not playing that badly, this thread is premature to say the least.  Wish I had just scrolled by to be honest but having reacted i now have to see the debate through.

Lighthouse

Can I remind people that it is always best to read the whole thread as opposed to just one or two snippets. Our Coach has been rumoured to have been offered a contract and is said to be waiting to decide or see what happens. Having read the thread nobody has said sack him after two matches. I am pretty convinced that the Coach will walk long before he is sacked anyway. He has the reputation in deciding to walk when the project doesn't fit him anymore.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope