watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What I do not understand is...

Started by finnster01, October 07, 2010, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

The American fascination with Jurgen Klinsmann?

They only thing he ever did as a manager was to get Germany a bronze medal at the WC 2006 played at home. He did nothing as a club manager at Bayern. The US national team flirted with him, Tom Hicks and Gillet flirted with him behind Rafa's back, and apparently the next American owners of Liverpool wants to flirt with him too if you believe the papers and assume the sale goes through...

Bizarre.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

cebu

You just have to hope their (alleged) dream comes true.  :dft012:

TonyGilroy

He scores 10/10 for style. Much lower on substance.

Think of how Americans pick their Presidents and draw the obvious conclusions.

mattiesafer

Quote from: finnster01 on October 07, 2010, 01:09:11 PM

They only thing he ever did as a manager was to get Germany a bronze medal at the WC 2006 played at home. He did nothing as a club manager at Bayern. The US national team flirted with him, Tom Hicks and Gillet flirted with him behind Rafa's back, and apparently the next American owners of Liverpool wants to flirt with him too if you believe the papers and assume the sale goes through...

Bizarre.

I think it's just cuz he's always on tv commenting over here... The media keeps on presenting him as an expert coach so therefore we believe that he is a great coach.  Much like we have been told to believe that Sarah Jessica Parker is beautiful...

duffbeer

Bizarre.

+1

RidgeRider

Quote from: mattiesafer on October 07, 2010, 01:19:27 PM

Bizarre.

So true.

I think it's just cuz he's always on tv commenting over here... The media keeps on presenting him as an expert coach so therefore we believe that he is a great coach.  Much like we have been told to believe that Sarah Jessica Parker is beautiful...

RidgeRider

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 07, 2010, 01:17:12 PM

He scores 10/10 for style. Much lower on substance.

Think of how Americans pick their Presidents and draw the obvious conclusions.

Unfortunately this is true more times than not.

YankeeJim

He's from Europe so he must be better. At least that's what the media believes. Another issue is that Americans like winners and for some reason he is percieved as a winner. And probably the real reason is that we know we need to interject some life into the US Nat program and he is the only Euro "name" that has expressed an interest in coaching the US. Or, he actually lives in LA so is proven to be wise enough to be a cut above the average Eurp. Or Bob Bradley is just painfully boring. Or Tony Gilroy is a wise man. Pick one.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Klinnsmann is universally loved over here by people who believe that football is a foreign thing and can only be executed by folks who speak with a European accent. Mr. Finn is correct in his observation that, like Sarah Palin, he hasn't distinguished himself in any of his jobs and, like Sarah Palin, he doesn't stay with them very long before he quits for something easier.

On the other hand, he's pretty lazy and uninterested in devoting the 80-100 hour weeks it takes to be a successful manager, so he mostly just mumbles semi-intelligibly on TV and his acolytes cheer every syllable ... hm, maybe he IS Sarah Palin.  :029:

And about our presidents, Mr. TG, any country that has BOTH produced Maggie Thatcher and Tony Blair hasn't a lot to brag about.  :005:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TonyGilroy

Quote from: HatterDon on October 07, 2010, 03:26:38 PM
Klinnsmann is universally loved over here by people who believe that football is a foreign thing and can only be executed by folks who speak with a European accent. Mr. Finn is correct in his observation that, like Sarah Palin, he hasn't distinguished himself in any of his jobs and, like Sarah Palin, he doesn't stay with them very long before he quits for something easier.

On the other hand, he's pretty lazy and uninterested in devoting the 80-100 hour weeks it takes to be a successful manager, so he mostly just mumbles semi-intelligibly on TV and his acolytes cheer every syllable ... hm, maybe he IS Sarah Palin.  :029:

And about our presidents, Mr. TG, any country that has BOTH produced Maggie Thatcher and Tony Blair hasn't a lot to brag about.  :005:

Without starting a political thread I'd argue that neither the USA or Britain have had a President/Prime Minister worth a sh1t since WW2 which may simply mean that it's an impossible job and anyone half way competent is far too smart to want to give it a go.

*PS. Unfair to Attlee, perhaps

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on October 07, 2010, 03:26:38 PM

On the other hand, he's pretty lazy and uninterested in devoting the 80-100 hour weeks it takes to be a successful manager, so he mostly just mumbles semi-intelligibly on TV and his acolytes cheer every syllable ... hm, maybe he IS Sarah Palin.  :029:

And about our presidents, Mr. TG, any country that has BOTH produced Maggie Thatcher and Tony Blair hasn't a lot to brag about.  :005:
Klinnsman is the European Sarah Palin? Can he see Poland from his house?

Seriously though, that is a great insult. Contiuing the analogy, is Silvio Berlusconi the European Bill Clinton?

LBNo11

Tony Gilroy said "Without starting a political thread I'd argue that neither the USA or Britain have had a President/Prime Minister worth a sh1t since WW2 which may simply mean that it's an impossible job and anyone half way competent is far too smart to want to give it a go".

This reminded me of one of my favourite quotations from Bertrand Russell:-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubt"
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

European Bill Clinton? Sarkosy of France could be cosidered for that one. Although Berlusconi has a better record with the grotty birds.

Decent prime ministers? Harold Wilson wasn't too bad. (by today's standards).

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: jarv on October 07, 2010, 04:00:53 PM
European Bill Clinton? Sarkosy of France could be cosidered for that one. Although Berlusconi has a better record with the grotty birds.

Berlusconi on Obama: I like him, he has a nice tan....

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 07, 2010, 04:16:18 PM
Quote from: jarv on October 07, 2010, 04:00:53 PM

Berlusconi on Obama: I like him, he has a nice tan....
...And he used to manage Hull... :038:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead