watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (21/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 21, 2018, 07:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Memory Lane: Fulham 5-0 Watford (2000-01)

If I said 5-0 it will probably trigger nightmares in the younger generation of our fans and remind them of the last time the Hornets came calling. The TV cameras were there to record another low point in our fall from grace as Marcus Bettinelli's early sending off and buffet (help yourself) defending helped Watford run riot. A pyjama bottom clad Gabor Kiraly emerging as Bettinelli's replacement only added to the farcical nature that night.

However, fret not children; those of us of slightly more vintage years recall a much nicer 5-0 on Boxing Day 2000. Tigana's Maestros had started the season like a train with 11 straight wins but what most recall is Watford had a similar start and after 13 games led us by a point at the top. By Christmas though they were slumping fast as we surged ahead. In an effort to rekindle their promotion push and to motivate his players, Graham Taylor compared his side to us as being the best sides in the Division. It only served to motivate us though, as we demonstrated we were in a different class. A Louis Saha penalty and Andrejs Stolcers sandwiched a Barry Hayles hat trick to offer us a very welcome extra Christmas present and probably cause Taylor to reconsider his opinion.

Incidentally for those still having nightmares about Kiraly and the 5-0 defeat don't worry too much. Watford's manager that night was a certain Mr Jokanovic.

Quotes from fans
Scrapyard57 ‏(@Scrapyard57)

"Was at the game with my Dad in the Johnny Haynes stand near the Cottage. Great banter with Watford fans who were waving giant replica UK passports covers at Mo during his pre-match walkabout. Hayles hat-trick and Cookies last home game before his car crash injury, I think."

Neil Dudgeon ‏(@dudgeon_neil)

"It was the Boxing Day game at the Cottage, Fulham (1st) v Watford (2nd). The previous Boxing Day Fulham drew with Ipswich 0-0 in a blizzard. Terrible game. I took my (now) wife who hated every second and declined my invitation to come the next year for the 5-0. Her loss."

Lee Simpson ‏(@Lee_Simo89)

"Was there with my old man, sat next to some woman who was wearing high heels, after the 3rd goal I didn't want us to score anymore. My legs and feet were cut to shreds where she had been celebrating!"

Andrew Johnson ‏(@AJohnsonuk)

"I took my then girlfriend to that game and she got bored. That's when I realised that we wouldn't last, and of course, we split soon after."

Kevin Marron ‏(@kmarron)

"Stolcers scored..."

Marion Fountayne‏ ‏(@marionfountayne)

"A Barry Hayles header amongst his hat trick. I'll just say that again... A Barry Hayles HEADER"

Rob Slaughter‏ (@RobSlaughter7)

"I'm sure I remember Graham Taylor being rather ungracious in the build-up (shades of Souness later that year), so Fulham fans rather enjoyed the way the team took Watford apart."

Vincent Leyenda ‏(@vleyenda9)

"What a day! I was only a kid and I remember it being cold, but it always is by the river. Me and the family always stood at the back of the Hammy end. Watford were one of the top teams and favourites at the start of the season for promotion, so we didn't expect an easy game, little did we know! That season we were untouchable and games like Watford showed just how good we were and we were a Premier League side playing in Division One. Hayles was on fire, he deserved a hat-trick although I'm sure one of his goals should have been credited to Louis as it looked like it crossed the line before Barry headed it home. I also remember a quality finish from Andrejs Stolcers. I was at his debut at West Brom in which he scored and really thought he was going to be amazing for us but he never seemed to get a run in the team."

Monopoly Dog‏ (@DogMonopoly)

"I was 10 years old, most of my friends were Watford fans and it was delicious going into school the next day. My friend is a Watford fan and he was sat in the away end; his Dad was a neutral and for whatever reason came in with us. He's had a bet on the game, Fulham 4-0 Watford and we were understandably excited until Andrejs Stolcers' shot trickled over the line! I don't remember much from the game but I do remember the fifth goal; or to be precise, frantically waving, shouting and even attempting to blow the ball away from the goal!"

Ben Webb (@webby197)

"I remember Watford being massive favourites to win the game and the league. Carlton Palmer was making his Watford debut but we blew them away that day with a brilliant team performance and then went on to storm the league. This was the changing game of the season"

David Goodsell (@David_1879)

"I went to almost every game home and away that season with my Dad, I remember us bumping into some buoyant Watford fans in a motorway service station somewhere, in October or November. It was a good-natured encounter, they were a bit cocky and we let them have their say. Just ended it with a quietly confident 'Yeah, we'll see'. Just happy to let our Football speak for itself, we knew how good we were and had no fear of anyone, and no doubt about that team at all."

Russ Noble (@noble_r1)

"Hayles hat trick. Best Boxing Day ever. Enough said. #COYW"

http://fulhamfocus.com/memory-lane-fulham-5-0-watford-2000-01

WhiteJC

Gareth Southgate keen to persuade Scotland cap to play for England

England manager Gareth Southgate is weighing up a shock call-up for capped Scotland player Tom Cairney.

The Fulham ace has already turned out twice for Scotland against Canada and Costa Rica, however both were friendlies.

Tom Cairney has been key to Fulham in recent season (Photo: Getty)

The 27-year-old has since withdrawn from several squads due to various injuries.

Scotland boss Alex McLeish now faces a scramble to reward the Nottingham-born player a competitive cap following alleged interest from the England manager.

The Scotland manager is set to call-up Cairney for next month's Nations League match-up with Israel in order to fend off Southgate's advances.

The flair player is aware of interest, according to the Scottish Sun.

Eyeing up Rice

According to reports, Southgate is also keen on a move for Republic of Ireland's Declan Rice.

The West Ham United player has been capped for Martin O'Neill's side, but never in a competitive fixture.

Rice is said to be pondering a switch to England.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/gareth-southgate-keen-to-persuade-scotland-cap-to-play-for-england-1-4802635

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic learnt three major lessons in Fulham's loss to Manchester City

Now that the dust has settled on Fulham's 3-0 weekend defeat to champions Manchester City, the positives that can be gleaned from the match are clear.

Although it was altogether a negative performance, Slavisa Jokanovic can be heartened by the play of Marcus Bettinelli and Ryan Sessegnon, and also has gained a better idea of what players on his squad are up to the task of Premier League football.

For starters, very few would have expected Fulham to go away to the Etihad and take anything away from the match. Even the country's best are regularly embarrassed in Manchester, and there was no shame that Fulham lost 3-0.

However, it could have been far worse if not for the heroics of Bettinelli.

The young English goalkeeper, bafflingly dropped out of the squad for the first two matches of the season, has now roared back and established himself as the club's undisputed number one.

His save to deny Raheem Sterling from a certain goal early on was exceptional, as was his dive to repel his compatriot's low drive later on in the half.

The margin of victory could have easily been five or six without Bettinelli between the sticks for Fulham, and Bettinelli's confidence and ability seems to grow every week since Jokanovic placed his faith in the goalkeeper.

In addition, Sessegnon endured a baptism of fire during his first top-flight start in defence, yet performed admirably against the league's most fearsome attack.

There were times when he was left exposed, but for the majority of the match he held his own in the toughest of settings, surely spelling good news for his Premier League future.

And, finally, Jokanovic now knows which players in his squad are simply not Premier League quality.

Cyrus Christie and Stefan Johansen turned in abysmal displays, with that match likely the last time we will be seeing those two fringe players for a while.

In addition, Denis Odoi and Kevin McDonald struggled mightily, with Tim Ream and Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa likely to take their places in upcoming fixtures.

Although the heavy defeat damaged the pride of the Cottagers, the lessons learned from the away loss will ultimately help improve Fulham during the rest of their Premier League campaign.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-manchester-city-major-lessons/

WhiteJC

The latest news on Fulham's Riverside Stand redevelopment and what happens next

Fulham were granted planning permission for the redevelopment in March - here's what's currently happening with the plans

Fulham were granted planning permission for the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand in March - but so far little else has happened with the development.

Hammersmith & Fulham council granted full planning permission for a new 8,650 capacity stand, which would see the overall capacity of Craven Cottage increase to 29,600.

This was the second time the club had been granted planning permission for the redevelopment, with the original plans being granted in 2013, but after the takeover of the club by Shahid Khan the plans were redrawn to new designs.

At the time, the time frame for work to begin was in the summer of 2019, but since then it's gone quiet on that front as Fulham have begun life back in the Premier League.

Here's everything we know so far, what is currently happening and what happens next for the stand.

What has happened so far?

Fulham have been granted planning permission to redevelop the Riverside Stand.

This will increase the capacity of the stand to 8,650 and will see the current stand demolished and replaced by a new two-tier stand.

An artist's impression of the Riverside Stand looking from the Johnny Haynes Stand

This new stand will include new new shops, a riverside walkway and nine apartments.

Planning permission was granted back in March with the club hopeful they would begin work in the summer of 2019.

What is happening at the moment?

At the moment, the club is still out to tender to potential sub-contractors.

This means Fulham are still inviting bids for the project from sub-contractors that will carry out the work on the Riverside Stand.

An artist's impression of the new Riverside Stand

Chief Executive, Alistair Mackintosh, confirmed in the September meeting with the Fulham Supporters' Trust that the club wouldn't sign a contract with potential sub-contractors unless they were totally satisfied with the offer on the table - something they haven't been so far.

However, the view is still to move the project on as soon as possible with the plan not in danger of slipping a year.

What happens next?

Once Fulham are satisfied and have chosen a sub-contract, a time frame of works will be issued and the project can start moving forward - with the view to start work still the summer of 2019.

An artist's impression of the new Riverside Stand

The club are also looking to set up Riverside Working group with season ticket holders in the current Riverside Stand to discuss the various relocation options available for fans that will have to be relocated during the works.

Once all these various things are done - work will eventually start on the project.

Is Shahid Khan's wish to buy Wembley Stadium having an effect on this project?

In short, no.

Mr Khan's plans to buy Wembley Stadium will have no impact on Fulham, Craven Cottage or the Riverside Stand redevelopment - they're two separate projects.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/latest-news-fulhams-riverside-stand-15176959

WhiteJC

Is There a Way to Fix Fulham's Defense?
Yeah, it's time to start talking about it.

Photo by Christopher Lee/Getty Images

So after a tried, but poor, outing against Manchester City, Fulham are now facing another point of crisis this early in the Premier League season. This time though, the data points are beginning to congeal and things that looked worrying that haven't changed are alarm bells that are ringing even louder.

For Fulham's case, that worry is whether their defense will ever improve.

In five games, Slavisa Jokanovic has not picked the same back four and goalkeeper in a row and the results have lead to conceding two goals or more in every fixture. The totals now read as a league worst 12 goals conceded and 12.93 expected goals off of 92 total shots. Only Burnley has reached double digits in both actual and expected goals conceded while giving up more shots and that is a club staring at the barrel of relegation.

Surely enough, Fulham are now 15th with Arsenal, Everton and Watford coming up next before the latest International Break. Despite how each of Fulham's next three opponents are in the top half already in goals scored, all are considerably overperforming their expected goals and they are nearly as good of an attack as Fulham's. So far, Arsenal arte 10th in the league in expected goals, followed by Fulham in 11th, Watford in 12th and Everton in 14th. But this doesn't excuse the fact that the boys from Southwest London are running out of time to get things better in defense.

Now replacing Fabri with Marcus Bettinelli has paid some dividends. In spite of the former Besiktas number one being very good in stopping 16 out of 21 shots on target from scoring in his two league outings, Understat believed that Fabri actually should have just conceded 3.74 goals instead of five. Now a 1.26 goal difference wasn't going to be enough to turn a loss to Crystal Palace or Tottenham into a win, but in a league that is unforgiving to newly promoted football clubs, having a goalkeeper perform above expectation can be a difference between of having the backing of teammates and manager or not.

As for the newly-minted England call-up, Bettinelli might have only saved nine of his 16 shots on target faced, but many of those saves would be seen in any highlight montage on YouTube and his seven goals conceded is much lower than the 9.18 goals that should have occurred out on the pitch.

Which leads us to talking about the four men expected to protect the goalkeeper. Even if Manchester City were to balloon Fulham's horrendous defensive numbers, it can't be ignored that the home win to Burnley was closer than expected because the Cottagers' backline gave up two goals off of the only shots they faced on target because both were within the six yard box. Along with that, both shots on target came off of a turnover inside their own half and off of a corner kick, respectively.

Along with that, Brighton unleashed 15 shots on them and this is a club that doesn't have the most imposing attack out there (none of their players have an xG Chain within the top-100 of the Premier League). Add in the fact that Fulham are conceding those chances while having the ball 52% of the time and it is even more disparaging how leaky they are in defense.

We can look at this in plenty of ways. First, Fulham are 15th in tackles per game and tied with Huddersfield for 11th in interceptions per game. When you adjust for possession since more possession-based teams have less opportunities to make plays without the ball, those numbers actually aren't quite bad as both statistics give Jokanovic's squad top-ten production. But what really kills them is their lack of physicality in the air. Fulham might comfortably have the least amount of aerial duel events at 128. But that doesn't excuse the fact that they have lost 41.4% of all those events. The next closest side to be that inefficient in the air is Tottenham at 43.8%.

You put all those defensive actions together and their press is third worst in the league at 15.44 passes per defensive action. That is more than double the average the league leaders and good old friends, Tottenham, allow their opponents to play with the ball. Which goes to show that individual defensive actions are not what makes this Fulham unit so bad. Rather, it shows how important it is to notice how those events are stringed together that prevent the other team from doing whatever it wants in attack.

If we want to go towards a more individual outlook, fullback seems to be an area of intrigue when you breakdown where chances are being created against based on the defined spaces of the pitch. If we're simply looking at preventing shots, Timothy Fosu-Mensah has no choice but to be Fulham's starting right back until further notice. The 20-year old loanee has provided decent cover in that area of the pitch by giving up just one key pass within the far-right hand side of the pitch in comparison to three whenever Cyrus Christie is out there (granted, all three conceded were from last weekend). Also, 12 chances were created in the right-half space (the area usually covered between right back and right center back) while Christie is starting in comparison to six when Fosu-Mensah is out there.

On the far left-hand side, there is some understanding as to why Joe Bryan hasn't been playing as much as he should. Until the Man City game, the nine chances created conceded on that side of the pitch was tied for second for most frequent area Fulham was most vulnerable. But until Fulham get a more experienced and cost-effective (sorry Matt Targett supporters) left back, Bryan also has no choice to start there as well. Denis Odoi hasn't been given enough trust by Jokanovic to play over their during his time in the Championship and we all know how much we want Ryan Sessegnon further up the pitch. As for Maxime Le Marchand...yeah, I don't want to talk about it.

Tops on the list of most vulnerable area that Fulham is being attacked pre-Man City fixture is in the center space (also known as STRAIGHT AT GOAL!) with 13 key passes. You could argue that the center back position is clearly in need of a change and there is no disagreement there. But considering the club's more aggressive way of winning the ball back in relation to possession, I would consider the midfield to be a bigger area of observation.

One genuinely has to wonder if Kevin McDonald is done as a Premier League starting defensive midfielder. He may turn 30 in November, but boy does his lack of defensive production show that he looks to have hit the wrong side of that decade. So far, McDonald has only averaged 1.3 tackles and 1.0 interceptions per 90 minutes. Meanwhile, the newly acquired Jean-Michael Seri is producing a club-leading 4.6 defensive actions per 90 minutes while Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa is not that far behind a 3.9. Along with that, McDonald's totals have dropped every single season he has been at Craven Cottage ever since his career high 4.5 actions per 90 minutes in 2015/16 in his final season at Wolves. Since then, that rate has dropped to 3.9 in 2016/17 and 3.0 per 90 minutes in 2017/18.

Now you can say McDonald should be dropped based solely off of the numbers alone, but the club essentially has no answer for who will wear the captain's armband now that he's not picked and that Tom Cairney is injured. Should it be given to Aleksander Mitrovic who has only been with the club since January? How about 18-year old Ryan Sessegnon? Or what about Seri who just joined the club this summer and has shown that he's looking for greener pastures if he performs at the levels he's capable of? The pickings for the role are just too slim at the moment. This is why I propose having a double pivot of McDonald and Anguissa in a 4-2-3-1 formation, followed by Seri leading an attacking trio with your choices of Sessegnon, Andre Schurrle and Luciano Vietto out there until Cairney returns to full health. Once the captain returns, Anguissa has to be considered the out-and-out 6 for Jokanovic in his 4-3-3 system.

All data from whoscored.com

But as a result of this weakened midfield cover, the responsibilities have now fallen back towards the center backs to clean up the mess that was made in midfield. Tim Ream and your choice of Odoi and Tomas Kalas were terrific in this department last season, but if there's no cohesion over there as a result of so many moving pieces in the previous transfer window, how do you expect them to perform to full effect. Let's also not forget that Ream has just returned to training after sitting out the first month with a back injury.

So yes, plenty has to change for Fulham. Much of these problems are outside their control as a result of two fixtures against Champions League opposition. The fixtures against the Huddersfield's and Newcastle's will come soon enough. But until then, this is the time for Jokanovic to find the correct formula fast. Otherwise, the joys of promotion could be dying down sooner than people realise.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/9/20/17874048/just-how-bad-is-fulhams-defense

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists England chief Gareth Southgate has not made contact about Tom Cairney

Slavisa Jokanovic says Gareth Southgate has not asked about Tom Cairney
    Southgate has reportedly been tracking the progress of the midfielder
    Cairney has won two international caps for Scotland, but only in friendlies
    England could still select Cairney and make him a senior Three Lions player

Slavisa Jokanovic insists Gareth Southgate has not contacted him over the possibility of attempting to select Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney for England.

England manager Southgate has reportedly been tracking the progress of Cairney, who has won two caps for Scotland but only in friendly matches.

England could still select Cairney given he has not featured in competitive action for Scotland, but Fulham boss Jokanovic explained Southgate has not been in touch with him over the matter.

Slavisa Jokanovic says Gareth Southgate has not contacted him about midfielder Tom Cairney

Asked if Southgate had contacted him, Jokanovic replied: 'No, he hasn't.'

When quizzed on whether Cairney could be a prospect for England, Jokanovic continued: 'Really I don't know, he's a quality player, he's first choice actually right now.

'He's played for Scotland. I cannot give you a clear answer, he can speak about this and give you a clearer answer, but that's all I can give you.

The highly rated Cairney has already made two appearances for Scotland, but in friendly ties

'He is really one of our most important players.

'He has a really good season behind him with Fulham. We know his quality, he's a player who can play at the highest level in this position. And then it depends on him, on the coach, but he's really good and he'd be useful for any team or coach.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6189705/Fulham-boss-Slavisa-Jokanovic-No-England-contact-Tom-Cairney.html

WhiteJC

Thompson: There Are Positives

Cameron Thompson was devastated with the nature of Fulham Under-21s' defeat to Wycombe in the Checkatrade Trophy. However, took great heart from the way they played against an established League 1 side.

The forward had levelled the game on 55 minutes, when he hammered a 25-yard strike in off the underside of the crossbar, after which, the Young Whites controlled large parts of the game.

"We were a little bit gutted to lose, especially with such a late last-minute goal," he told fulhamfc.com. "I was happy to bring us back into the game, but ultimately, we lost the game so harshly.

"In the second half, we controlled the game a lot more once we adapted. We had chances to potentially go on and win the game but the goal came back and hit us hard. I was gutted at the end on the floor after putting so much into the game."

Alex Samuel put the hosts in front after just two minutes, giving Fulham an uphill battle to get a foothold back in the game. This is something the striker feels will be eradicated sooner rather than later.

"Since the start of the season, a lot of games we've played, we've conceded first. It's harder for us then because they sit in and we struggle to break them down. Once we remove this from our game we will be more than fine.

"They are a good League 1 side Wycombe, they're big, strong and physical. Technically they're very good, as are we, but it was a great experience to test ourselves and control the game for large parts. There are loads of positive to take from today."

The 18-year-old fired in a deadly finish to set-up an interesting finish at Adams Park.

"The goal felt amazing, it was even better as I've gone four games without a goal! The goal was special in itself, but it was all in vain because we lost and went home empty handed.

"We have older boys who want to go out on loan to these sorts of sides, so for them it's brilliant to get an idea of what they're up against. There are also young boys who want to prove a point so this sort of format is useful."

One of the biggest threats to Fulham's game was the physical presence of Adebayo Akinfenwa. The striker was a handful throughout with his sheer strength against the defence. It was his knock-down which enabled Samuel to slam home early on.

"It's a learning curve for our back four playing against Akinfenwa. The way he holds the ball up and brings others into play is something we needed to adjust to – moving forward we can nullify that sort of thing a bit better in the PL2."

The Under-23s return to league action on Monday, when they travel to the Bet365 Stadium to face Stoke.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/20/thompson-interview

WhiteJC

Tottenham should move for Mitrovic next summer

Tottenham Hotspur desperately need to take some of the pressure off Harry Kane in the final third, and the capital outfit should be eyeing a move for Fulham's Aleksandar Mitorvic in next summer's transfer window.

What's the word, then?

It is worth remembering that Kane has scored twice for Tottenham this season, but there is no question that the centre-forward has looked a little bit off the pace.

That was the case during the recent international break, and was also apparent in Tottenham's 2-1 defeat to Inter Milan in the Champions League on Tuesday night.

Tottenham are in desperate need of another striker, and whilst that might not be possible in January, they will be thinking ahead to next summer.

And Mauricio Pochettino's side should see if they could potentially do a deal for Mitrovic, despite the centre-forward only just arriving at Fulham.

Chelsea have also been credited with an interest in the 24-year-old, and Fulham will find it tough to keep him if he continues to find the back of the net this season.

What would Mitrovic bring to Tottenham?

It is still somewhat of a mystery why Newcastle United allowed the striker to leave St James' Park during the summer transfer window.

Mitrovic managed nine Premier League goals for the Magpies during the 2015-16 season, but then fell out of favour at the club, and spent the second half of last term on loan at Fulham, where he scored 12 times in 20 appearances.

This term, Mitrovic has four goals in five Premier League appearances, and he was also on the scoresheet for Serbia at the 2018 World Cup.

The powerful forward could fill in for Kane when required, whilst it would also be possible for him to operate alongside the England captain in the final third.

Fulham will be desperate to keep hold of Mitrovic – and for good reason – but Tottenham really should be looking to see if a deal could be done.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/tottenham/tottenham-should-move-for-mitrovic-next-summer

WhiteJC

Team against Watford 22/09

over on the forum we've been discussing who should be in the team against Watford, here are a couple...

whitejc

subs: Rico, Fosu-Mensah, Chambers, StefJo, AK47, Vietto

until Ream is fit I think that the CBs will be Mawson and either MLM, Chambers or Odoi
when Tom is back, I think Saturday will be too soon?, then either Anguissa or KMac will make way
Sess didn't disgrace himself against City but we all know he's better playing up front

Lighthouse

Christie is the better player going forward. His final ball is poor but at least he dies get into the positions to cross. Would still play Odoi and Mawson in the middle with Bryan coming in on the left.

Midfield Seri and Zamb will start. Cairney I think will still be out which leaves Mac or Johanson. I don't go along with the constant criticism of Johanson not being Prem Quality. He was awful against City but then that is hardly a fair comparison on one game.

Front three name themselves.

grandad

I don´t think Cairney or Ream will feature. If Cairney is fit then he comes in for Zambo.

milo

Mawson will need practice at RCB as Ream is now likely to return next week in his usual LCB role. Then it's either Odoi or MLM at LCB in the interim. MLM is the more natural LCB and has looked most comfortable playing in that position this season. Just as long as he keeps an eye on those passes out from the back!

In midfield I choose to give Johansen another run out. His form in League Cup and in Internationals earned him a call up last week but City away can hardly be the acid test for his season.

Sessegnon was one of the few to turn up last week and has earned a re-call in his favoured position. However, if we are lacking an attacking threat then I would have a low threshold to bring on Kamara at or around 60 minutes.

Watford have been in good form this season but we have to be competing with these teams if we are to survive this year (and more).

come and join in the debate over on the forum...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=67529.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=396

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Away Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's match away to Huddesfield Town will go on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members at 10am, Friday 21st September.

The Whites travel to the John Smith's Stadium on Monday 5th November (kick-off 8pm).

Tickets are priced at £30 for adults, £20 for over 60s and just  £15 for Under 18s.

Tickets will then go on sale to all supporters from 10am, Tuesday 25th September.

Fans will be able to purchase tickets online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/20/huddersfield-away

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Slaviša Jokanović harbours no ill feeling towards Watford, and says he only looks back on his time at the club with fondness.

Our Head Coach led the Hornets to promotion during his solitary season at Vicarage Road, but parted ways that summer.

"Really, I am not upset," he said when quizzed on his departure in his press conference ahead of our Saturday lunchtime meeting at Craven Cottage. "I've spoken so many times about this situation.

"They gave me an opportunity to work in this country. Fortunately for myself and this club we made a successful season, we got promoted to the Premier League. Then my contract ended.

"I wanted to stay in this place, I felt the club chose a different way for the future. I must accept this decision and when one door is closed, another is opened.

"You keep going, you continue working. I'm now in the same level as Watford, and thinking about this game we're going to play against them.

"I always have great memories of Watford. I have great memories for this club, a lot of respect for this team and these fans of the club, and the owner.

"I had a really happy and successful time at this club, and all my memories are positive."

Fulham will still be without a couple of First Teamers for the fixture, but there was better news regarding our 2017/18 Player of the Season who's yet to feature in the current campaign.

"Still Tom Cairney and Neeskens Kebano are not available for the game," Jokanović confirmed. "The good news for us is Tim Ream started working with us.

"He's still not ready but it's great news for the team, for myself, and for the supporters too."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/20/head-coach-press conference

WhiteJC

Watford boss confident of victory over Fulham

Watford boss Javier Gracia believes his side can surprise Fulham on Saturday.

The Hornets saw their perfect start to the new campaign ended with a 2-1 home defeat by Manchester United last weekend.

Gracia's well-drilled side, though, will be out to keep themselves up with the early-season pacesetters when they head to Craven Cottage for Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

Fulham went down 3-0 at Manchester City as Slavisa Jokanovic's men continue to find their feet following promotion back to the top flight.

"They are a good team, a first season in the Premier League after they were promoted, they have a well-organised team," Gracia said at a press conference.

"They know what they have to do and we will try to surprise them. I am confident we are able to get a good result and get the three points."

Jokanovic took Watford into the Premier League at the end of the 2014/2015 campaign, only to then leave the Hertfordshire club in the summer after failing to agree a new permanent deal.

Gracia has nothing but admiration for the Serbian, whom he faced on the pitch during their playing career in Spain.

"I played against him sometimes and he was, in my opinion, a very good player," the Watford manager said.

"As a coach, I stay with him next Saturday (now on the touchline) and we will see what happens."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/watford-boss-confident-of-victory-over-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Watford: Javi Gracia expects tough test from Slavisa Jokanovic's side

Javi Gracia expects a well drilled Fulham side to pose Watford a threat at Craven Cottage and has speaks highly of their manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

The Serbian led Watford to promotion from the Championship in 2015 and repeated the trick to take the Cottagers up last term.

Gracia has been impressed with what he has seen from Jokanovic so far this season and is expecting a tough examination from Saturday's hosts.

He said: "I know Jokanovic from Spain when he was a player and I played against him. In my opinion he was a very good player and coach.

"Fulham is a good team playing in their first season in the Premier League after getting promotion.

"They are a well organised team who have more of the ball than others do, 54 or 55 per cent. We will try to surprise them, get a good result and take the three points."

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16892737.fulham-vs-watford-javi-gracia-expects-tough-test-from-slavisa-jokanovics-side/

WhiteJC

Is former Hull City midfielder Tom Cairney in line for a shock England call-up?

The Fulham captain has previously won two Scotland caps but his form has caught Gareth Southgate's eye

Former Hull City midfielder Tom Cairney is reportedly being considered for an England call-up, despite boasting two international caps for Scotland.

Cairney's stock has been on a steep rise after captaining Fulham to promotion out of the Championship last season and that form has caught the eye of Gareth Southgate.

The Sun have reported that Cairney is being monitored by England's coaching set-up and that might soon give the 27-year-old a decision to make.

The midfielder was born in Nottingham but played for Scotland under-19s and under-21s due to his father's upbringing in Glasgow.

Two senior appearances came against Canada in 2017 and then Costa Rica 12 months later but the fact both were friendly games ensures Cairney could yet change allegiances.

Alex McLeish has the chance to remove all doubt over Cairney's international next month when Scotland face Israel in the Nations League but the reports suggest the midfielder is now aware of England's interest.

Cairney has barely looked back since leaving City in 2014.

Regular football with Blackburn Rovers led to him joining Fulham and his talents are now being showcased on the Premier League stage as a key figure in Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Tom Cairney celebrating scoring his first Premier League goal (Image: Getty)

Cairney was a product of City's youth academy after joining in 2007 upon his release from Leeds United.

A City debut came in the League Cup tie against Southend United under Phil Brown before Cairney went on to make 80 appearances in four seasons.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-hull-city-midfielder-tom-2026800

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic challenges Fulham to be braver as he commits to attacking philosophy

The head coach will continue to set his side up to attack as he prepares to face Watford this weekend

Slavisa Jokanovic has challenged his Fulham side to be braver ahead of the visit of Watford - insisting attacking football is the best set-up for his team.

The head coach hasn't changed the philosophy that saw his side promoted from the Championship last season and has continued implementing an attacking brand of football at Craven Cottage.

His commitment to the style has seen Fulham win one, draw one and lose three of their five games so far in the Premier League this season, with the last outing a 3-0 defeat at the hands of champions, Manchester City.

Ahead of the visit of his former club Watford, Jokanovic was asked whether or not he needs a plan B for the season, and he agreed that having several options would be good, but insisted the best way for his side to get results was by playing the same brand of football that saw them go 23-games unbeaten last season and achieve promotion.

That said, he has challenged his players to braver in the top flight as they look to kick start their season.

He said: "Yes but why are you scared and not little bit brave and trusting yourself?

"In football, after being defeated, any plan is good enough.

"People criticise other coaches because they choose a different way and are so defensive to try win the game.

"People ask if we can be a little bit more pragmatic in different way, for me it's being brave and choose what you believe what is best way to win the game.

"In general, I have sensation we aren't brave enough and I don't believe our solution is to be scared and try waiting for only one chance and score one goal and try finish the game 1-0.

"It's completely legal, but I am working with my team and try to understand the characteristic of my players and squad and I am going to try choose the best way for my team.

(Image: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

"It's probably after the City game somebody ask if you can be little bit more pragmatic or not, but if we start the game after one minute making a big mistake and they open the game it's not so easy.

"You cannot survive with any kind of the shape or tactics or defend all the game in this result.

"I trust in my players and my choice, this choice gives us opportunity to be successful.

"For another side, it's true we need to adapt ourselves for different situations.

"If you ask me about plan A, B, C, if it's possible we need A, B, C, D and the next one but if it's plan B not working, or not better than plan A, where is the sense?

"This is nice opinion for press and the supporters and I completely agree, if I can find six successful plans, I can choose between more things but in realistic life you must be pragmatic and you don't need to go into adventure without any sense."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-challenges-fulham-braver-15180108

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill

After three successive defeats in the Premier League and Champions League, Tottenham will attempt to get back on track when they visit Brighton in Saturday's late kick-off.

The Seagulls have already beaten Manchester United at the Amex Stadium this season, however, so can they claim another major scalp this weekend?

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson says: "It seems that Tottenham have become the latest crisis club and their manager Mauricio Pochettino is probably not helping matters by losing his cool with reporters when he was asked about his team selection after Tuesday's defeat by Inter Milan.

"He does not like talking about Harry Kane needing a rest either, but Kane does look like he needs a couple of weeks away from football.

"Spurs are still a good side and they are still going to be up there, but it is just a case of them getting through this bad patch."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week's guest is former Olympic and world champion heptathlete Dame Jessica Ennis-Hill.

Ennis-Hill is an ambassador for the 2018 BBC Get Inspired Unsung Hero award, which looks to recognise anyone who is inspiring people of all ages to get up and get active.

She told BBC Sport: "The award is about nominating someone who you feel has really made a difference within the sporting community at grassroots level, whether that is a volunteer or coach, or someone behind the scenes helping you get to where you want to.

"I think it's important to recognise these people.

"For me personally, I had all those amazing moments on the track and on the podium, really celebrating my achievements in that way.

"This is for all those people like my physio, coaches or my family that helped me get there, because it was not about just me performing on the day - they all made sacrifices along the way and were passionate about what they did."

To nominate your Get Inspired Unsung Hero, go to www.bbc.co.uk/unsung hero

LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS

All kick-offs 15:00 BST unless stated.

Fulham v Watford (12:30 BST)

Both of these sides lost to Manchester clubs last weekend - Fulham at City and Watford at home to United.

The problem for Watford against United was that they did not want to open up too early, when they were better off just having a go in the way they have in their other games.

It was interesting listening to Cottagers manager Slavisa Jokanovic after his side's defeat at Etihad Stadium, when he said he felt they were a little bit scared to play like they can.

I don't think that will be the case against the Hornets, which is why I am going for a home victory - although Watford will also see this one as winnable and they always seem to finish games strongly - so it could be close.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Jessica's prediction: 2-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45536162

WhiteJC

Fulham v Watford
SAT 22 Sept 2018   Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney (right) will miss a second successive game because of an ankle injury

TEAM NEWS

Fulham captain Tom Cairney remains out with the ankle injury which caused him to miss the defeat by Manchester City.

Defender Tim Ream is back in training after a pre-season back problem but will not be involved on Saturday.

Watford could become only the fifth club to name the same starting line-up in their opening six matches of a Premier League season.

Nathaniel Chalobah continued his recovery from a serious knee injury by playing in an Under-23 game on Monday.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@Mark_Scott_: Fulham have the worst defensive record in the division but Slavisa Jokanovic isn't contemplating a more pragmatic approach any time soon, as he has urged his side to be even braver.

While Jokanovic is still deliberating on his best XI to do that with, Javi Gracia has come up with what was a winning formula until last weekend, having named the same starting line-up in every league game.

Jokanovic is facing Watford for the first time since leaving the club shortly after taking them into the top flight in 2015.

Despite reports of a messy break-up, he insists all of his memories are positive - and he was certainly a happy man when the teams last met at Craven Cottage, with his Hornets side winning 5-0.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic: "People are asking if we can be a little more pragmatic but, for me, being pragmatic is being brave.

"The brave choice for me is the best way to win the game. I think we are still not brave enough.

"Why would we be scared, why are we not braver and trusting in ourselves?"

Watford head coach Javi Gracia: "I think after four wins in a row, even with the defeat against Man United, the team is mentally strong.

"They do not need good results to know the performances have been good and, in this moment, the players are confident they will be able to keep their performance levels up.

"We will try to keep our style of play, maintain our mentality and be aggressive."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

It was interesting listening to Slavisa Jokanovic after his side's defeat at Manchester City, when he said he felt they were a little bit scared to play like they can.

I don't think that will be the case against the Hornets, which is why I am going for a home victory - although Watford will also see this one as winnable and they always seem to finish games strongly. It could be close.

Prediction: 2-1

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Watford are unbeaten in the past four meetings and could earn a third successive win over Fulham in all competitions for the first time.
    Fulham have failed to score in their last three games against Watford, which include a 5-0 Championship defeat at Craven Cottage in December 2014 when Slavisa Jokanovic was in charge of the Hornets.
    Fulham and Watford are in the top flight together for only the second season. They drew both league fixtures on the previous occasion, in 2006-07.

Fulham

Fulham have the worst defensive record in the top flight this season, conceding 12 goals in five matches.
    They have conceded at least twice in each of their last nine Premier League games, equalling the club top-flight record set in December 1951.
    The Cottagers are seeking consecutive Premier League home wins for the first time since April 2013.
    This will be Fulham's 500th match in the division, making them the 15th team to reach the milestone. They have won 151 games and lost 211.
    Head coach Slavisa Jokanovic won 21 of his 36 matches in charge of Watford between October 2014 and May 2015. This will be his first game against the club.

Watford

Watford are vying to win five of their opening six matches of a top-flight season for the first time.
    They have lost eight successive Premier League fixtures in London since beating Arsenal 2-1 in January 2017.
    Javi Gracia's side could earn consecutive away wins in the league for the first time since beginning last season with three straight victories on the road.
    The Hornets have scored an unsurpassed eight second-half goals in the Premier League this season, level with Chelsea.
    Troy Deeney has scored four goals in his two league appearances against Fulham, including a hat-trick at Craven Cottage in December 2014.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45530714

WhiteJC

Jokanovic to make 1 important change – Strongest 4-3-3 Fulham XI to face Watford

Predicted Fulham line-up to face Watford in the Premier League

Fulham are now winless in 2 games after being beaten 3-0 by Manchester City last weekend. The Cottagers have failed to maintain consistency in their form and manager Slavisa Jokanovic will be aiming to make amends.

Watford visit Craven Cottage this weekend and the Hornets have lost just 1 game so far. They have looked cohesive and fluid going forward. Fulham will need all hands on the deck in order to pick up a positive result. Jokanovic needs all the points he can get right now.
Team News

Tom Cairney is still out and cannot take part against the Hornets as well. Apart from that, Jokanovic has no other injury concerns in the squad. A few changes are expected to be made in order to keep things fresh.
Probable Fulham XI
Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
Formation: 4-3-3
Marcus Bettinelli (GK)

Bettinelli has looked good after taking up the reins from Fabricio. He should continue in goal against the Hornets.
Cyrus Christie (RB)

The Irish international loves to daunt forward to support the attack. More of the same will be needed from him.
Maxime Le Marchand (CB)

Le Marchand has looked good after making the move to Fulham this season and was benched for the previous game. He should return to take on Watford.
Alfie Mawson (CB)

Mawson is an experienced and talented defender. He should start alongside Le Marchand in this game.
Ryan Sessegnon (LB)

Sessegnon has been reinstated to a more defensive role in the last two games. He has flourished since then.
Jean Michael Seri (RCM)

Seri's passing and distribution have been immense for Fulham so far. His marauding runs from deep midfield have proven to be useful for Slavisa Jokanovic's side.
Kevin McDonald (CM)

McDonald has been fruitful with his quick short passing and defensive contribution in the middle of the park.
Stefan Johansen (LCM)

Johansen will continue in place of the injured Tom Cairney. His passing has been neat and his game has been simple.
Luciano Vietto (RW)

Vietto has looked energetic going forward and will be aiming to get back amongst the goals.
Aleksandar Mitrovic (ST)

Mitrovic is the focal point of this team and the go-to man in times of need. He is in very good form right now.

Andre Schurrle (LW)

Schurrle's previous experience in the league has definitely helped him flourish once again. There's always a chance for him to score.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/09/21/jokanovic-to-make-1-important-change-strongest-4-3-3-fulham-xi-to-face-watford/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic to make 2 changes: Strongest 4-3-3 Fulham XI to face Watford

Predicted Fulham XI to face Watford: Who should start?

After a brilliant season in the Championship last year, Fulham have made a decent start to their Premier League campaign. With four points from their first five games, Fulham are currently sitting 15th. The highlight of their season so far has to be the 4-2 win over Burnley. In fact, the Cottagers have only themselves to blame as they let their lead slip and were held to a 2-2 draw by Brighton away from home.

Fulham were beaten comprehensively last weekend as Manchester City dominated the proceedings and managed to find the back of the net on three occasions.

Although Jokanovic's team hasn't made a sparkling start to the season, they have shown strong signs of promise and it will be up to the manager to reassemble his unit as they host Watford on Saturday. Watford's winning streak of four games was ended by Manchester United last weekend but they will offer tough competition to the Cottagers away from home.

Team News
Tom Cairney and Neeskens Kebano continue their recovery from foot and ankle injuries respectively. Besides that, Jokanovic will have his whole squad of players to choose from.
Predicted Fulham line-up to face Watford
Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
Formation: 4-3-3
Marcus Bettinelli (GK)
He has been Fulham's standout performer and has made some key saves so far. His stocks have risen after the England call-up and he should start ahead of Fabri.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah (RB)

The young loanee from Manchester United has shown signs of promise and he should replace Cyrus Christie, who had a poor game against Manchester City.

Alfie Mawson (CB)

The centre-back had a good game against City and looked good with his positioning and awareness. Hence, he should start the next game.

Denis Odoi (CB)

The Belgian centre-back had an average game against City and struggled with the pace and sharpness of the attackers. However, Jokanovic should hand him another start ahead of Maxime Le Marchand.

Ryan Sessegnon (LB)

The youngster was Fulham's hero in the Championship last season but has found it tough to deal with the opposition in the Premier League. He has shown some glimpses of his abilities and Jokanovic should hand him another start.

Stefan Johansen (LCM)

The Norwegian international struggled against the pace and pressing of City's midfielders but Jokanovic has little choice, given that Cairney is not fully fit.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa (CDM)

The youngster from Togo has started two games and has looked quite impressive with his passing. He can also break up the play from his deep position in the midfield and should start ahead of Kevin Mcdonald, who had a poor game against City.

Jean Michael Seri (RCM)

The Ivorian has taken the Premier League by storm and has already racked up a goal and an assist. He did not have the best of days against City but Jokanovic must not bench his prized asset.

Luciano Vietto (RW)

The Argentine has linked the play impressively with the attackers and already has a couple of assists to his name. He should start the next game.

Andre Schurrle (LW)

The German has partly rediscovered his mojo in the Premier League and has two goals to his name. He is one of Fulham's key players up front and Jokanovic should hand him another start.

Aleksandar Mitrovic (ST)

The towering Serbian has set the stage on fire this season with four goals. He has impressed with his positioning and his finishing has been clinical. He is virtually an automatic selection for Jovanovic.

http://www.mediareferee.com/2018/09/21/jokanovic-to-make-2-changes-strongest-4-3-3-fulham-xi-to-face-watford/

WhiteJC

Not Sessegnon – Fulham must tie down this academy graduate to a new and improved contract

Why Fulham must offer Marcus Bettinelli a new contract

According to Daily Mail, Fulham are set to offer England goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli a new contract before the end of September. Bettinelli's current contract is set to expire at the end of next season and Fulham have the option of extending his stay by 12 months.

However, the Cottagers must not risk their No.1 choice between the sticks. Bettinelli was the subject of interest from West Ham and Crystal Palace in the summer and Fulham want to keep potential suitors at bay by offering the 26-year-old a new contract (h/t Daily Mail).

Slavisa Jokanovic's side have made a slow start to their Premier League campaign with only a solitary win from their first five games. However, the Cottagers were impressive in the 4-2 win over Burnley and put together a decent performance in the 2-2 draw against Brighton. Despite losing a few games, Fulham have looked promising, especially in the attacking third.

Fulham made headlines in the summer by signing Aleksandar Mitrovic (loan deal made permanent), Jean Michael Seri and Andre Schurrle. However, they did not do enough to bolster their defence and the result has been quite evident.

The Cottagers have already conceded 12 goals from their first five matches and the lack of defensive options could possibly be a roadblock to their chances of survival in the Premier League. Considering the quality of players that Fulham have in their ranks, they are not outright relegation contenders but they haven't helped themselves with a lacklustre start to the campaign.

Besides Mitrovic, Seri and Schurrle, Marcus Bettinelli has arguably been Fulham's standout performer. As a result of his fine performances, he was called by Gareth Southgate for international duty in England's UEFA Nations League fixtures against Spain and Switzerland.

A product of Fulham's youth academy, Bettinelli signed his first professional contract with the Cottagers in 2010 and has made a total of 101 appearances for the club across all competitions. Over the course of his career with Fulham, he was relegated to bench duty numerous times in the past and even spent time on loan at Accrington Stanley. Now, however, the 26-year-old has managed to establish himself as the club's No.1 between the sticks.

He was a regular for Fulham in the Championship last season, where he made 26 appearances and 63 saves, averaging 2.3 saves per game. In the Premier League this term, Bettinelli has managed 9 saves so far at the rate of 3 per game, which goes to show his reliability and consistency.

In his earlier days, Bettinelli was vulnerable while collecting crosses and aerial balls and struggled to deal with close-range shots. However, he has taken his game to a new level this season. The 26-year-old has already put in three outstanding shifts between the sticks, looking confident while dealing with crosses. The incredible penalty save against Brighton and the one-on-one save to deny Raheem Sterling against Manchester City have been the highlights of his stellar displays in the Premier League so far.

Bettinelli is definitely one of England's rising shot stoppers and his stock has soared higher after he was called up to the England squad. Fulham should not waste any time in offering him a new deal with improved wages to keep him at the club. In fact, he might be the key to Fulham's fortunes in the Premier League this season.

http://www.mediareferee.com/2018/09/21/not-sessegnon-fulham-must-tie-down-this-academy-graduate-to-a-new-and-improved-contract/