watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shearer On Christie

Started by Dodgin, October 07, 2018, 11:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Shearer on Christie tonight gave him a bit of a mauling on MOTD2.

copthornemike

Analysis was unfortunately spot on

IKnowNothing

The look on Christie's face in the first half (closest to the cameras) said it all to me. Tired and beaten. Arsenal put on a clinic today. Fosu-Mensah needs to come back soon because there's no way Christie can cover the whole field end to end. They toasted him all game long and it wasn't nice to see for him or me.

hovewhite

Bad performance agreed,dint need to watch a failed manager to tell me what I knew already and having lived through it I didn't want to watch it again.

Matt10

Watched it again. His performance is being blown out of proportion. Had some key interceptions and made up space for when Anguissa would lose the ball 4x. No time to be going against our own players again, and as always.

Mince n Tatties

We were playing a high line,and was obviously playing to the managers orders to get forward all the time.
It did look bad on MOTD,surprising that Slava didn't have a word about it early on telling him he has to defend as well.
Wasn't the only one being caught out though.

RaySmith

Yeah, crucify him on TV for viewers' titillation - great for the confidence of our only available right back.

Thanks Shearer.

Matt10

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 08, 2018, 05:47:29 AM
We were playing a high line,and was obviously playing to the managers orders to get forward all the time.
It did look bad on MOTD,surprising that Slava didn't have a word about it early on telling him he has to defend as well.

Indeed, a high line that was preset to have a RWB stay advanced as much as possible, with the two midfielders in Seri and Zambo to drop back as deep as possible. This is how we kept our width for 30 minutes of the match.

The 3-back was a brave choice, and I think anyone could have been a scapegoat with that much possible exposure. Christie was not required to drop back as deep as people think in this 3-back formation. He chose to drop out of necessity because Zambo or Seri did not control the ball in the advanced midfield (near center circle).

People also love to show Christie being nutmegged by Iwobi, but some forget that Ream was nutmegged earlier by him as well.

Not saying Christie didn't have a poor performance, to his standards, but he's definitely much better than that - we all are. I think we should have stuck with 3-back formation after conceding the 2nd goal, instead of going to a heavily compressed 4-3-3, which was just begging for us to get caught in transition.

snarks

Quote from: Matt10 on October 08, 2018, 06:14:13 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 08, 2018, 05:47:29 AM

Indeed, a high line that was preset to have a RWB stay advanced as much as possible, with the two midfielders in Seri and Zambo to drop back as deep as possible. This is how we kept our width for 30 minutes of the match.

The 3-back was a brave choice, and I think anyone could have been a scapegoat with that much possible exposure. Christie was not required to drop back as deep as people think in this 3-back formation. He chose to drop out of necessity because Zambo or Seri did not control the ball in the advanced midfield (near center circle).

People also love to show Christie being nutmegged by Iwobi, but some forget that Ream was nutmegged earlier by him as well.

Not saying Christie didn't have a poor performance, to his standards, but he's definitely much better than that - we all are. I think we should have stuck with 3-back formation after conceding the 2nd goal, instead of going to a heavily compressed 4-3-3, which was just begging for us to get caught in transition.

Agree with that, the back 3 was better until ream went off, surprised didn't bring Mawson on, but that's why he's the boss.

Southcoastffc

Let's not forget that Arsenal are  VERY good team, and becoming better under a new coach.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Pieter A’dam

He played awful, my seat is in Riverside block T, lower row and I was pretty close to the 'Christie' action. He just does not read the game well, poor positioning throughout the game. We were lucky that Iwobi was not using the space given to him effectively. If that would have been Ozil in form it could have been easily 1-3 at HT.  But most shocking to me is that he has no fighting spirit, not even in the 1st half !!!!! No urgency at all. I read his last Friday's interview in the Evening Standard and he was surprised but not getting enough game time, since he felt he did well so far this season ???? Biggest problem is that he makes Odoi overcomensate and giving up space in the middle .....
on the left I think Sess did much better.

MrD1879

He's extremely poor going forward and his positional play is very poor. May be harsh but he isn't good enough for this league. Sess played the wing back role perfectly where Christie was caught out of postion time and time again. When he did get forward he made one decent cross all game that Kamara should have buried.
What surprised me even more is that he stayed on the pitch for the full game yet Ream (who was taken off for tacitical reasons) made way.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 08, 2018, 07:46:49 AM
Let's not forget that Arsenal are  VERY good team, and becoming better under a new coach.

We cant keep coming up with these excuses all the time against the top 6 sides...All this let's settle for 3-0 and move on.With this attitude we will never be able to beat any of them.
We have to get our own house in order regardless who we are playing..Coyw.

JoelH5

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 08, 2018, 08:43:54 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 08, 2018, 07:46:49 AM

We cant keep coming up with these excuses all the time against the top 6 sides...All this let's settle for 3-0 and move on.With this attitude we will never be able to beat any of them.
We have to get our own house in order regardless who we are playing..Coyw.

Yeah I'd agree if it was 2-0 or 3-1, not 5-1. 3-0 against Everton was far from acceptable either
I was there, standing in the Putney end

KJS

I'd maul Christie myself if I see him in the street, he is not a footballer he is a fraud!! Id rather see Odio at RB than him!!

Stoneleigh Loyalist

It has taken enough posts for someone to get round to it but fitness permitting Odoi should be at RB with Ream and Mawson in the centre.
It is all very well for MOD to maul us to pieces but at no time was any mention of the injuries that have been suffered in our defence.
We were very lucky last season and are paying for it this season.

Lastly - A full statement on why Cairney is not playing is required.

gang

Quote from: Dodgin on October 07, 2018, 11:33:51 PM
Shearer on Christie tonight gave him a bit of a mauling on MOTD2.

So did Arsenal.

David Allen Crankshaw

Not a good idea to single out one player for such criticism. As mentioned by another poster it will do nothing for his confidence.

Berserker

I saw Betts shouting and waving to get back in position but he took no notice

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

toshes mate

When you are given instructions about the formation and individual responsibilities every players has to convert that into in game execution.  Arsenal attacked our right flank from the start targeting a perceived weakness.  It worked a handful of times in the first half because we lost the ball cheaply further up the pitch and were unable to cover the gaps.  Christie fell a long way short of PL requirements but he was by no means alone in a first half we actually merited being level or better at its conclusion.  I believed we would wake up in the second half with the right kind of adjustments during the break but instead we were taken apart so very easily early on.  That has happened far too often before and leads me to conclude we lack leadership on the pitch.