watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Slavs comments

Started by jeremyfulham, November 06, 2018, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremyfulham

Among other things he is quoted saying : " Perhaps some of the players didn't realize the importance of a win " &  "they didn't have enough intensity in 1st half" Sorry Slav isn't it your job to communicate that and motivate them ?
I said before the game if we didn't match their desire we would not win despite having technically better players , if I can see it why can't those paid to get the message across ?
COYW 049:gif 049:gif

Tyske

Quote from: jeremyfulham on November 06, 2018, 05:19:23 PM
Among other things he is quoted saying : " Perhaps some of the players didn't realize the importance of a win " &  "they didn't have enough intensity in 1st half" Sorry Slav isn't it your job to communicate that and motivate them ?
I said before the game if we didn't match their desire we would not win despite having technically better players , if I can see it why can't those paid to get the message across ?

He would have told them it was an important game, and besides, he shouldn't need to tell them, they are not schoolboys but professional adults.

Yet another post with this myth of 'motivation.'  Motivation only comes from the players themselves, by their active decision to work hard. Sound coming from a manager's mouth does not have a magic effect of motivating the players, and the manager cannot use a remote-control to make sure they are motivated on the pitch.

Players at fault much more than the manager here.

aaronmcguigan

On the other hand, if a manager needs to motivate his team, they are not inspired by him. Motivating is making people do something, inspiring is making people want to do something.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Tyske on November 06, 2018, 05:23:54 PM

He would have told them it was an important game, and besides, he shouldn't need to tell them, they are not schoolboys but professional adults.

Yet another post with this myth of 'motivation.'  Motivation only comes from the players themselves, by their active decision to work hard. Sound coming from a manager's mouth does not have a magic effect of motivating the players, and the manager cannot use a remote-control to make sure they are motivated on the pitch.

I don't believe the Players pick the team or name those on the bench. That bench last night was pathetic for a game of such importance. But you stick your head in the sand if it makes you feel better.
I love Fulham FC above any player or any manager. They all come and go. Maybe we could get Corky and Micky Adams back. Super capt. Simon Morgan, he was fantastic, but sometimes you have to move on.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Twig

I worked in HR for years and in the management development side there was much talk of easy training fixes that enable managers to increase their ability to motivate their reports.  However the evidence is pretty clear that whilst organisations and managers can put in place an environment/ culture/ conditions etc that make it easier for employees to feel motivated, the actual motivation comes from within.  In that sense I agree with Tyske that ultimately one motivates oneself.  However, it may be that the club, the manager or some other source is creating a less than motivational environment.  Semantics maybe but important.

WindyCity

I think he also said something like he couldn't understand/was surprised his players weren't reacting better against what Hudd was doing to them, since they all understood/knew what Hudd was doing and going to do.

This sounds like a manager/coach who has lost total control of his team and his own game planning abilities.  I just can't understand any coach saying such, along with saying his squad looked confused and scared out there.  This is not good.

filham

Yes this was quoted in the Telegraph report today, hard to believe Jocanovic said such a thing as this alone is reason enough to seek his resignation.

Surley he realises it is his job to prepare the team for each match and to ensure all players are fully motivated.

Lighthouse

The coach sounds the least likely to motivate anybody. But then his job is to put in place a system the players feel confident about and be motivated to put in a performance on match day. That hasn't happened for all but the odd game this season. I doubt his comments are inspiring but that isn't where his job starts. The system and the tactics he works on all week should be motivation enough.

Clearly it isn't as whatever 11 he puts out look confused and rudderless. None of his changes during the game work and frankly continue to baffle everybody and look as if it baffles the players.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Old Count

Motivation = getting someone  / some people to want to do what you want them to do.  So far Slav does not seem to be doing a good job at motivating the team.

Holders

Quote from: Twig on November 06, 2018, 06:44:05 PM

I worked in HR for years and in the management development side there was much talk of easy training fixes that enable managers to increase their ability to motivate their reports.  However the evidence is pretty clear that whilst organisations and managers can put in place an environment/ culture/ conditions etc that make it easier for employees to feel motivated, the actual motivation comes from within.  In that sense I agree with Tyske that ultimately one motivates oneself.  However, it may be that the club, the manager or some other source is creating a less than motivational environment.  Semantics maybe but important.

I have a similar background and would comment that professional pride goes so far but the best motivation is if the culture itself is motivated by something inspirational, often from the top. Balanced against that are the consequences of non-performance, against which highly-paid players are insulated. High pay is not a motivator, the prospect of something better (like winning something as a team) is.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

On the contrary Holders, I think the players have strong  immediate consequences for non-performance, more than in most professions - the next morning's headlines saying the team is hopeless, looking at the league table where we're bottom, facing relegation with all it's consequences for  their career - loss of status and reputation, loss of earnings, harder to get into a top club, etc.

You can't tell me that Seri's, for example,  reputation and status isn't declining with every Fulham humbling - no move  to a top Prem club if things continue as they are, or Schurrle nor Anguisa.
Are the Fulham players different from most other  pro players, in that they never look at the league table, or listen to or watch  or read media coverage of the game they're so intensely involved in?

I don't know if Slavisa was misquoted, or if he was just gibbering rubbish in the emotion of shambolic defeat, when  quotes are demanded from a manager when they probably just want to go away and lie down in a darkened room, but it seems rubbish to say that the Fulham players weren't aware of the consequences of defeat to Huddersfield who haven't won a game all season and sit bottom of the table,, even if it looked like that to thos of us who we there, or the many watching on TV.

bog

If they indeed did not realise the importance then we are in big trouble.  :031:

092.gif

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on November 06, 2018, 06:44:05 PM
A good appraisal of 'motivation' as seen though the eyes of both the motivator and the motivated.
The definition of 'motivation' has several meanings including 'being given a reason to act (examples need, financial reward)'; 'enthusisam' (self generated via the reason to act); and from purely psychological view the forces that determine your behaviour which are all governed by the individual irrespective of environment (examples are what you do after being praised or admonished; how humble you are; how eager you are to show your best side etc etc).

Professional footballers are supposed to be doing something they love but some of FFC's current squad appear to be in love with totally the wrong facets altogether.  Put yourself right first and then complain but don't complain just because someone has given you bad news about yourself.     

Holders

Quote from: RaySmith on November 07, 2018, 09:07:09 AM
On the contrary Holders, I think the players have strong  immediate consequences for non-performance, more than in most professions - the next morning's headlines saying the team is hopeless, looking at the league table where we're bottom, facing relegation with all it's consequences for  their career - loss of status and reputation, loss of earnings, harder to get into a top club, etc.

You can't tell me that Seri's, for example,  reputation and status isn't declining with every Fulham humbling - no move  to a top Prem club if things continue as they are, or Schurrle nor Anguisa.
Are the Fulham players different from most other  pro players, in that they never look at the league table, or listen to or watch  or read media coverage of the game they're so intensely involved in?

I don't know if Slavisa was misquoted, or if he was just gibbering rubbish in the emotion of shambolic defeat, when  quotes are demanded from a manager when they probably just want to go away and lie down in a darkened room, but it seems rubbish to say that the Fulham players weren't aware of the consequences of defeat to Huddersfield who haven't won a game all season and sit bottom of the table,, even if it looked like that to thos of us who we there, or the many watching on TV.

It does seem incredible if any of the players weren't sufficiently aware of the importance of that game - Cardiff as well. Yes, professional pride should come into it as you rightly infer; I was suggesting that the motivation that comes from fighting for something - promotion, a cup final etc. will be stronger than fighting against relegation with a club you've just joined with no other allegiance than your pay-packet and in the knowledge that if the side were to go down, you'd get sold on to another outrageously-paid position with another club. That's what I meant by insulated.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Carborundum

To have got where they are, a sense of driven purpose from within can be taken as read.

But football is a game where the whole needs to be greater than the sum of the parts.  A shared common purpose, some give and take and trust all play a role.  Part of the problem with signing players late is that it cuts down the opportunities to break bread and muck about.  The odd beer doesn't go amiss.  Doesn't matter how much they get paid, this stuff can't be bypassed without consequences.

Marinelloguthrie

Seeming lack of effort, lack of motivation, lack of leadership etc is very easy to label at players.
For me confidence is everything especially the way we play, have we got players that run around like headless chickens or can put the boot in, no. When we are confident and playing the kind of football that most of us applaud we dont want them kind of players either.
It is now down to the players and manager to fight through and get their confidence back.
We as supporters can help that as well, in seasons before the slow start could be rectified in relatively quiet surroundings but now halve the country are telling the players they are crap, its a different level now.
Its a big test for them the experienced players need to stand up as they would have gone through it before and they need to help the younger  players.
A lucky break or unlucky break (deflected goal and kmac going off) changes everything and personally im tired off the media slating us so at least we can do is keep faith with this squad and manager even though its bloody hard at the moment.
On a side note one of the plus points of the championship was you could just get on with supporting Fulham. Apart from the odd coverage you get when your doing well no one is really interested in us but now all you hear is negative stuff which is understanble but by pundits that know nothing about us.

Bassey the warrior

Difficult to disagree with you're saying. I do wonder though whether he may be taking a leaf out of Jose's book of motivational techniques: criticise the squad in the press, in order to get them to prove you wrong. May not work but worth a try and of course it's worked for Shaw and Martial. Not really a big fan of this technique personally.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on November 08, 2018, 06:34:28 AM

Difficult to disagree with you're saying. I do wonder though whether he may be taking a leaf out of Jose's book of motivational techniques: criticise the squad in the press, in order to get them to prove you wrong. May not work but worth a try and of course it's worked for Shaw and Martial. Not really a big fan of this technique personally.

Jose was exactly who popped in my head while I was reading this.

Still, unlike United...who have Paul Pogba leading the midfield and a 50 million pound midfielder riding the bench, I don't think Fulham has the midfield quality to respond to their coach calling them out.

I've seen every game this season, and I know that Seri isn't premiere league quality without a holding mid like N'golo Kante protecting him.     

I'm not a fan of Slav's comments...but they don't bother me a lot because he didn't specifically name a player.

And for what these players are paid...the ONLY motivation they should need should be self motivation.    I fault Slav for the style (or lack there of) of play.    Not for saying the players aren't motivated.

filham

Lets get Big Sam in and eliminate threads like this.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: Newry FFC on November 06, 2018, 06:16:14 PM
On the other hand, if a manager needs to motivate his team, they are not inspired by him. Motivating is making people do something, inspiring is making people want to do something.

Inspiration doesn't come from the coach, it comes from the whole team. Every single player has to be inspired for it to be a shared vision. We had that last year. This year we don't. Not up to Slav alone to bring that to the table. If I'm Kevin McDonald I'm ripping the team a new one. Same with Cairney.