watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Andre Schurrle

Started by aaronmcguigan, November 06, 2018, 06:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

Just thought Id open up a discussion about Andre Schurrle. To be honest I was over the moon when we first got him, a world cup winner playing for Fulham, but lately I have been less than impressed, and last nights showing cemented my view, whether it be in terms of movement, shooting for no reason and support play. I know there will be staunch supporters of Schurrle but I just wanted to hear other opinions.
Ill start with Sammy James and Jack Collins on the Fulhamish podcast, who have had their say, what do you think?
"I have no time for Andre Schurrle. Ive thought it for a little while and I just think he flatters to deceive, and I think Dortmund sold/loaned us a dud. The man doesnt move, he's wasteful, he's lazy, selfish, I just dont see what the fuss is about.
I think he's a luxury player, one we dont need right now. It was a despicable performance tonight. Maybe I'm laying too much into one player but I'm just saying what I felt.
"He has a weird knack/ability for taking shots from ranges where there is just no shot on, it was frustrating, he just sort of shoots from anywhere. Yes he has a bit of magic in him, look at the strike against Cardiff/ Burnley, he has the ability to change a game on a sixpence if it comes off for him, but I'm not sure his wastefulness of his game is impacting the team far more negatively than if he wasnt playing. I'm not sure what the alternative is, whether its Ayite or just wait til Bryan is back and move Sess into that spot.
Saying that he is this seasons Ross McCormack is a good point, vital player but hampering the whole team, the way we played. I hope Andre proves me wrong. Tonight was horrible. Hes had a couple of games where hes looked wasteful, hasn't tracked back, off the pace, leaving his full back exposed, hes a bit of a luxury player."

Quotes may be in the heat of the moment, but whats your view on him?

Jonaldiniho 88

Ball isn't sticking with him and he needs to defend with the team end of but at least he is taking responsibility and trying to make things happen. His offside goal was one of two chances he had and had mitro stayed onside he would have got us a point. He needs to keep his width more at occasions and protect the ball a bit better but I don't think he is the main problem. The center of midfield is where we were couldn't dominate which was vital last season.

Lighthouse

I like him. But I prefer Sess further forward and a full back behind Sess. For some reason we don't do that because I guess the coach has no faith in any player to play behind Sess.

Schurrie once again hit the back of the net last night and was the only one who came close to doing that. So it is hard to be too critical of such a player. But as a team we would benefit from changing it around a bit. But my confidence in the coaches selections and tactics are non existent. So that will not be happening any time soon.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

Schurrle has class and can be a match winner.
If however you are looking for enthusiasm and team effort over 90 minutes the I would prefer to rely on Kamara.

nose returns

I am not sure what schrrle others are seeing but i would leave him out for a few games. He is selfish and very devisive because for all his lack of effort he seems automatic. I would get rid in january and that would be an excellent step in the right direction. If we keep him and he continues to not be a team player we are doomed

colinwhite

One of the reasons we have been conceding so many goals is by playing 3 forwards and Scurle is going to have to lose his place if we are going to become solid . Vietto is in the same boat .Sess works up and down and although he is playing well at the back is needed further forward not least for defensive reasons.Wouldnt be surpised to see both Ayete and sessignon in forward wide positions when Bryan is fit.

Matt10

Think he only had one shot the entire match, if you don't count the offsides goal. I think he was just out of sync offensively. In Dortmund, they attack with a 3, but it's not a hold up CF, it's bombarding forward attack, multiple players get into the box as fast as possible. We're not the same, we hold up play and stagger to pass back to the supporting midfields in Cairney or Seri. Schurrle needs to adapt to this more, and time his runs as a result. He also needs to lift his head up much sooner to find quick passes. There was a time yesterday where he tried to find Cairney, but it was 10 seconds too late, and the ball was much overpowered as well.

I think he's still quality, and we need him, but he definitely needs to sync up much better with the method of attack that we employ.

Statto

For me he is exactly the type of player that got us relegated. Best years behind him so no real energy or motivation, just relying on his reputation for another big payday really. He seems a good bloke, I'm sure he thinks he still has a lot to offer us, but the harsh reality is you just can't have the same passion in his position that you would if you were a younger player trying to prove yourself.

Carborundum

Just don't think he and Vietto can play at the same time.  Needs to be more muck-and-bullets before the threat arrives at our defensive line. 

Bill2

Has scored so not all bad. What I have noticed over a couple of games is that he always wants to shoot even though a team member is better placed.

FulhamStu

Important player, need to use him better.

Facts Not Fiction

I like him, but for now, I'd rather see Sessegnon and Vietto supporting Mitrovic.

RaySmith

He's scored some important goals for us, one of the few who've scored this season, and again got the ball in the net last night, and then  got clear on goal, but missed with his shot, which wasn't an easy chance at all.

He seemed to put in a lot of effort last night, though often not very productive in terms of creating goals scoring chances, but who was.

Matt10

Quote from: RaySmith on November 06, 2018, 10:40:43 PM
He's scored some important goals for us, one of the few who've scored this season, and again got the ball in the net last night, and then  got clear on goal, but missed with his shot, which wasn't an easy chance at all.

He seemed to put in a lot of effort last night, though often not very productive in terms of creating goals scoring chances, but who was.

Yea, that's how I feel as well. I really don't think he's in it for himself. He's not on loan for half a season, a year long, he's on for 2 years. He's got just as much to lose as we do. He burned the bridges at Dortmund, so let's just see what comes of it. He's our 2nd goal scorer afterall, sorry for that's the reality.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on November 06, 2018, 07:50:59 PM
For me he is exactly the type of player that got us relegated. Best years behind him so no real energy or motivation, just relying on his reputation for another big payday really. He seems a good bloke, I'm sure he thinks he still has a lot to offer us, but the harsh reality is you just can't have the same passion in his position that you would if you were a younger player trying to prove yourself.

Agree with that.
I see Neville said of his performance at Huddersfield as totally lazy.

KJS

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 07, 2018, 06:39:35 AM

Agree with that.

If the Dick that is Neville said it then it must be true!!  :doh:
The fact is Shurrle and Mitro are getting no service from midfield because of Slav's poor tactics

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: KJS on November 07, 2018, 07:24:10 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 07, 2018, 06:39:35 AM

Agree with that.

If the Dick that is Neville said it then it must be true!!  :doh:
The fact is Shurrle and Mitro are getting no service from midfield because of Slav's poor tactics

We must all be dicks then lad,as majority of us and media thought the same.
And for once Neville was spot on.

Spirit of 2000

In terms of putting in a shift he isn't great but does look to make things happen and is at least one of the few experienced premiership players we have. I've got far bigger issues with Seri who in terms of effort and attitude is way worse than Schurrle and Anguissa who looks like an athelete that someone asked if he fancied a game of football. I've genuinely never seen a £30 million quid footballer with such poor touch, passing ability, awareness & football brain. The sad thing is that he's actually seemingly trying to a degree!

the nutflush

Quote from: filham on November 06, 2018, 06:56:19 PM
Schurrle has class and can be a match winner.
If however you are looking for enthusiasm and team effort over 90 minutes the I would prefer to rely on Kamara.

Please no more Kamara.  Kamara isnt good enough to clean Schurrles boots.