watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Claudio Ranieri is our new manager

Started by fulhamben, November 14, 2018, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Sad that Slavisa has had to go in this manner at this time. However it is a results lead game & he was not getting any. I wish him well & he will be held in my highest regard for ever in what he achieved.
Welcome to Ranieri & thank God it wasn´t Alardyce, Pardew, Moyes or Pulis coming.
Where there's a will there's a wife

The Rock

Mixed emotions. It's a results game and you did feel we were turning the corner against Liverpool, but everyone needs a fresh start. The first 3-4 games of the season we had that confidence; we crushed Burnley and should have beat Brighton - the vibe now has been lambs to slaughter.

What hasn't been stated on here is the nice message from the Khan's wishing SJ well - I think they liked him and very thankful for all that he had done, and I was too.

Neil D

We can at least expect it to galvanise - as is usually the case - the entire squad to stake a claim to a place.  I would be disappointed if a lightweight like Seri were able to continue to hold a place.  I hope Ranieri gives Mawson and Vietto a decent run in the team. 

General

Just looked through ranieris managerial record. He goes from a shaky period of 1 year spells at a couple of clubs and then that's followed by a two or three year spell and then he goes back to short stints at clubs followed by one longer one again. Hardly a 'sure thing'.. he's managed at a lot of top clubs but it's hot or cold and rarely anything in between.  He averages a win % on average 45%.. but in two of his last three posts he go a 0% win record out of four games with Greece and then a 36% win ratio with nantes... with Nantes he lost 16 games and won 15.

I think slavisa should've stayed.. I've always been a fan of ranieris from the sidelines but not sure if he's a guarantee of anything.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: General on November 14, 2018, 01:50:57 PM
Just looked through ranieris managerial record. He goes from a shaky period of 1 year spells at a couple of clubs and then that's followed by a two or three year spell and then he goes back to short stints at clubs followed by one longer one again. Hardly a 'sure thing'.. he's managed at a lot of top clubs but it's hot or cold and rarely anything in between.  He averages a win % on average 45%.. but in two of his last three posts he go a 0% win record out of four games with Greece and then a 36% win ratio with nantes... with Nantes he lost 16 games and won 15.

I think slavisa should've stayed.. I've always been a fan of ranieris from the sidelines but not sure if he's a guarantee of anything.
Any appointment is a gamble, really, you can never really tell if it will work. Take winning the Premier League, for example, that came out of the blue.

Fulham 442

Sad that Slavisa has had to go in this manner at this time. However it is a results lead game & he was not getting any. I wish him well & he will be held in my highest regard for ever in what he achieved.
Welcome to Ranieri & thank God it wasn´t Alardyce, Pardew, Moyes or Pulis coming.

I'll second that!

Tonywa

Quote from: The Rock on November 14, 2018, 01:43:54 PM
Mixed emotions. It's a results game and you did feel we were turning the corner against Liverpool, but everyone needs a fresh start. The first 3-4 games of the season we had that confidence; we crushed Burnley and should have beat Brighton - the vibe now has been lambs to slaughter.

What hasn't been stated on here is the nice message from the Khan's wishing SJ well - I think they liked him and very thankful for all that he had done, and I was too.

We 'crushed' a poor Burnley side who could have scored four or five against us, who were missing several of their better players and who had played a European game only a few days earlier. Much as I loved Slav's exciting 'open' football in the Championship our defensive record was none too good even in that lower division and the chances of our winning many games in the top division playing in that style in the top division were always going to be pretty slim.  The disappointing thing was not even being able to beat the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield against whom we must have hoped to pick up the majority of our points this season.  It was great to watch while it lasted, but I never felt it would work in the top division. thanks for a couple of great half-seasons though Slav.

NewYorkYank

It's sad to see Jokanovic sacked after what he has done for the club.  Last year was special.  But one has to appreciate the irony of Ranieri's appointment.  If there is one manager who knows that last year's accomplishments count for nothing, it is he.

Moltobueno

pretty amazing/shocking jokanovic was the 1st manager to be sacked in pl this year

Ordar

Absolutely the right decision, and a good appointment.

Tactically we were shambolic this year, and Slav didnt have a plan B to fall back on

Mince n Tatties

Been out to the Suffolk coast with the wife for the day,only just discovered Slava has gone...Shame I thought after Liverpool he'd have the Saints game.
Good luck Slava,and welcome Tinkerman...Coyw.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on November 14, 2018, 10:48:59 AM
I'm very sorry to hear the news. I thought we had turned the corner against Liverpool, and I think Slav should have been given more time. He may well have kept the same line-up against Soton, which is a winnable game for us.

Having so many crap teams around us in the table, should have allowed Khan a little more time to see what Slav's teams were going to be, from now on. We've not been cut adrift yet. I wonder if we'll see Albert Steptoe here in January.

I don't understand the idea of waiting until we're cut adrift to make a change. And we have already lost to Palace, Cardiff and Huddersfield. We have a -20 GD. How much more adrift should we be?

Thanks to Joka for everything he gave us, and I hope Ranieri can salvage this.

SuffolkWhite

Do we really know how Slavisa was spoken to about the loss of his job? I don't!

He was certainly a favourite manager of mine and unfortunately he has gone. It's what happens when results go against you and you are bottom!

We have a new manager now and if it means we start winning games then we cant complain.

Lets get behind the team, they need it.

COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Black and White Town

I'm sad for Slav, because I would have liked to see him succeed with Fulham, having done so much to get us back to the Prem.
But the hard fact is that he wasn't succeeding.

So, goodbye, I'm sure all Fulham fans wish him the very best of luck for his next appointment, and I have no doubt that he'll get a warm welcome should he ever return to the Cottage as a visiting manager.

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

FFCSteve

Thanks for last season Slav, some great memories that will be with me forever.
I have very mixed emotions, when I first saw the news It was a shock! I thought we had turned a corner against Liverpool, and was looking forward to games with more desire and less tinkering.
Welcome Claudio, again I have mixed emotions,! A more promising appointment than the other journey men that where being touted. But I fear more tinkering for a few games. A big part of our problem in my view.

But hey onwards and upwards!  COYW!!!!!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Whitesideup

I think Joka was turning things round and the first half against Liverpool was clear evidence of this. At times this season he has been let down by the players, and a huge number of avoidable defensive errors.

A good manager does not become a poor one overnight, and I believe he had the talent and the ability to get us playing premiership standard football. Even if that wasn't enough to keep us up, I would have been happy to see him at the helm for us back in the Championship. So I am firmly of the view that the sacking is a mistake.

I hope Claudio does brilliantly, but I think his record is chequered so I don't know what to expect. Whilst hoping for the best, I fear the worst.

Dodger53

Thanks for a couple of good seasons. JS had a process he worked through to get his best team/players and that process seems to take about half a season, not quick enough at this level. I believe the lack of fight in the Huddersfield game led to this. I dont know what is wrong behiond the scenes but it needed a fresh start before the next transfer window.

GoonerJeeves

Seen from the outside,  now is a good time to make a change.  There is plenty left of the season,  and the international break buys some time for the new manager.

Bill2

Sorry to see SJ go, thought he would have until the Southampton game, especially after the Liverpool result. It just shows that it is not only players who can influence manager changes but the referees can also influence the situation.

davew

Quote from: Fulham76 on November 14, 2018, 09:37:53 AM
I notice they call him 'manager' rather than head coach.

Perhaps things are changing behind the scenes as well with regard  to transfers?
I was going post that, only just home from golf and seen the news, surely Ranieri would not have joined us if he has minimum input into transfers?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)