watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New Captain

Started by ex-Pat, November 17, 2018, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

No way Raineri picks Cairney as captain, good footballer but not a strong presence I believe it will be Mawson, he will become the main focus in defence that would be my choice..

Woolly Mammoth

I hope it's Alfie Mawson, he would be a good fit.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Yep, I think the relationship between Mawson and Ranieri is critical to the improvement in our defense.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 17, 2018, 02:17:14 PM
I hope it's Alfie Mawson, he would be a good fit.

I agree, I much prefer a CB as captain.
Game is played infront of them and can read the game far better

Statto

Agree... Although it is not a decision to be taken lightly IMO because it's bound to exacerbate the reported (albeit natural) tension between the old guard and new signings

DevonFFC

Quote from: Statto on November 17, 2018, 04:14:30 PM
Agree... Although it is not a decision to be taken lightly IMO because it's bound to exacerbate the reported (albeit natural) tension between the old guard and new signings

He did elude to it in press conference about fresh start and everyone must impress.

Whether he will change captaincy is a big marker to lay down

RaySmith

It would be a bit of a snub to Cairney, maybe affect his confidence.

We want more than one leader onthe field anyway,and i think Ranieri would want a few players to  urge the team on and not let heads drop.

K Mac already does this, if he is picked, and Mawson would be another obvious choice. I feel he could be a very imortant player for us - I feel he  has a lot he wants to prove  too.

ScalleysDad

'RC', what are we going to call him?, has already stated his focus is on defence. So bearing in mind Kmac is out and might not be a first choice anymore that leaves Odoi, MLM, Christie, Sess, Bryan, TFM, Ream, RICO and Mawson from the defensive mix. Blimey Mawson, on form and fit, stands out by a mile. JOka did'nt quite nail every combination possible but I suspect we won't be seeing much of the likes of TFM and Jokas fringe players like Ayite, Kebano and AK. January could see the likes of Cahill or Drinkwater coming in, both captaincy material, so if Cairney is dropped to shore things up or simply loses the captaincy the heir will need to have quite an impact.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on November 17, 2018, 04:14:30 PM

Agree, inasmuch as he's more likely to be a regular than Mc.Donald. Cairney treated with respect, obviously.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Surely Raineri will not change to captain until he gets to know the player well.
As for Mawson he first has to firmly establish his his place in the team.

Oakeshott

"I suspect we won't be seeing much of the likes of TFM and Jokas fringe players like Ayite, Kebano and AK."

I suspect AK is the fastest member of the first team squad. If our new manager could improve his control and composure, he may yet prove to be one hell of a player.

filham

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 17, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
"I suspect we won't be seeing much of the likes of TFM and Jokas fringe players like Ayite, Kebano and AK."

I suspect AK is the fastest member of the first team squad. If our new manager could improve his control and composure, he may yet prove to be one hell of a player.
I am starting to think of a dream partnership developing in a 4-4-2 system with Mitrovic and Kamara really causing problems for defences.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: filham on November 17, 2018, 05:44:36 PM

I am starting to think of a dream partnership developing in a 4-4-2 system with Mitrovic and Kamara really causing problems for defences.

Anything is possible obviously but I think Mitrovic will continue to plough a lonely furrow whilst the defence and defending options from midfield are sorted. 4.4.2 if indeed that is to be the way forward will take a while to install but options to Mitrovic are needed in case of injury or the likely suspension.

hovewhite

Quote from: filham on November 17, 2018, 05:44:36 PM

that would be a hell of a front 2.both strong hungry,AK running defenders into the ground mitro taking advantage.

Porthogs FC

I think if Kamara can learn how to defend in a Ranieri system, he'll be on the right with Sess on the left, Vietto and Mitro up top. They'll bomb forward on the wings with a two CDM system, Vietto and Mitro controlling play centrally.

YankeeJim

The team captain has to be at least a solid player who is named week in, week out. Mawson, so far, does not fit that description. Neither does KMac. I think he has to stay with TC, at leat until the team gets back on track.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Porthogs FC on November 17, 2018, 06:10:45 PM
I think if Kamara can learn how to defend in a Ranieri system, he'll be on the right with Sess on the left, Vietto and Mitro up top. They'll bomb forward on the wings with a two CDM system, Vietto and Mitro controlling play centrally.

I would say aswell as adding to his defensive game, touch, passing and finishing should be a priority also.
Such a raw talent, I would love him to come good he could be an absolute handfull

MikeW

Alfie would be good.  Tom is all over the place it seems - confidence, fitness - you name it.  He's way off the pace at present and certainly not a leader.  Alfie needs to assert himself so give him the armband and go for it.  Fists pumping and lot's of encouraging!.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Nero

TC has never been capt, he wears an armband, Kmac was the capt last year you could tell that by who did the talking in the huddles

cmg

Can't see any immediate change being made in this area, provided Cairney keeps his place in the team under the new regime.

In my view the importance of the Captain in top-class professional football is rather over stated:

In one-person yacht racing - vital.
In cricket - very important.
In rugby - often has some important decisions to make, but can be of less on-field influence than the pack leader.
In football - much more peripheral. Gets to toss a coin, do some hand-shaking and has the, often doubtful, pleasure of occasional chats to the ref. Often a rather symbolic gesture of recognition and respect to an important or senior player.