watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Midfield more of a worry than defence

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, November 24, 2018, 05:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Going forward our midfield was fine. But when Southampton attacked our midfield was often overrun and gave the defence no protection

Neutral Zone Ultra

I think when Anguissa is available again we'll begin to look more solid. Chambers isn't a natural midfielder after all.

JoelH5

Give it time. First is the desire to fight which we have. Raneri will start to implement his tactics over the coming weeks
I was there, standing in the Putney end

DevonFFC

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on November 24, 2018, 05:08:50 PM
I think when Anguissa is available again we'll begin to look more solid. Chambers isn't a natural midfielder after all.

Think he looked very good, you will find it will be Seri or Cairney who will makes way for zambo

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: DevonFFC on November 24, 2018, 05:53:41 PM

Think he looked very good, you will find it will be Seri or Cairney who will makes way for zambo

This

Neutral Zone Ultra

Fair point, however long term I expect to see Chambers at the back with Mawson, because I just don't see Odoi as the solution.

Matt10

Our midfield will be overrun....it's a highly conservative pressure. We sit back, and pounce in all-out attack counter. Beating a 2-man center midfield is not difficult. However, our goals weren't conceded by bypassing the midfield. They were conceded from not being able to clear our lines.

I'm not worried our midfield. We just need to work on clearing the ball out to the sides or out of bounds versus leaving them on a platter.

Carborundum

I tend to agree with the opening post.  Thought Chambers was very poor in the first half, though much improved in the second.  We simply gave Southampton too many easy balls into gaps.  But as a first attempt at Ranieri-ball it was pretty decent and we have counter attacking weapons.  Cairney in particular looked happy to be shredding teams on the counter. 

Mawson looked a rock in the set up.  Got better and better.  So yes the defence is less of a worry. 

Carborundum Jnr summed it up rather well.  We haven't got Vardy, Mahrez or Kante, but then again we don't need to win the league, just stay in it.

Twig

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on November 24, 2018, 06:16:01 PM

Fair point, however long term I expect to see Chambers at the back with Mawson, because I just don't see Odoi as the solution.

I just don't get the Odoi knickers. He has been our best central defender this season and similarly for the latter part of the last. He has a great jump, is comfortable on the ball, is a thinking defender rather than a blood and guts one. Chambers has shown little at CB, why would he replace Odoi?

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Twig on November 24, 2018, 07:23:45 PM

I just don't get the Odoi knickers. He has been our best central defender this season and similarly for the latter part of the last. He has a great jump, is comfortable on the ball, is a thinking defender rather than a blood and guts one. Chambers has shown little at CB, why would he replace Odoi?
I just don't feel that Odoi has the physique to play at the back in the Premier League, and he has shown plenty of mistakes this season, even if he has been otherwise composed. He worked well under Slav because he's a good ball playing defender, but I think it very much compensates for his lack of height and physical presence, and given that he's 31 in the summer I don't see him as a long term solution.

Facts Not Fiction

Odoi has performed well, but I think the defence is weaker with him in it.

I don't think we can get much more out of him.

Riverside

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on November 24, 2018, 07:41:01 PM

Yes we can
Right Back
Where we signed him for !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filham

Yes, I too think our midfield is getting over run, we need a Parker in there, a ball winner. Cairney is a marken man and the opposition players are not giving him any space, he is becomming ineffective.

Regret to say AAnquissa has not looked the part when he has played.

AnOldBrownie

Seri wasn't bad today...but at times he plays small.

I went back and watched Southampton first goal. Seri...initially the closest player to the player that takes the shot...gets bodied out of position, goes to ground...which gives the Southampton player a clean shot on goal.  Seri needed to hold his ground.

Statto

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on November 24, 2018, 07:41:01 PM

I've never liked Odoi at CB and was horrified to see him still at CB this season, but he was nigh on faultless today, and the 2nd best player in the back 6 (back 5 + chambers) after Rico. I really don't see him being dropped for anyone in the current squad, reckon Odoi and Mawson is our CB pairing for the rest of the season now.

toshes mate

I really do not get the Odoi knockers.  Last season he gave good value wherever he was played.  He doesn't compalin he just gets on with the job.  This season he has done almost everything he has been asked to do but the defence has been pressured because midfield and attack have not given the team the cushion of a lead to work with.  Even against Saints we threw away an advantage instead of pressing it home.  Odoi represents the spirit we should have all over the pitch and it is pity we don't have it at all in certain players.

hovewhite

Quote from: toshes mate on November 25, 2018, 06:21:26 AM
I really do not get the Odoi knockers.  Last season he gave good value wherever he was played.  He doesn't compalin he just gets on with the job.  This season he has done almost everything he has been asked to do but the defence has been pressured because midfield and attack have not given the team the cushion of a lead to work with.  Even against Saints we threw away an advantage instead of pressing it home.  Odoi represents the spirit we should have all over the pitch and it is pity we don't have it at all in certain players.
great comment.
There second goal unstoppable worldy by the way.

KJS

Give the man a chance!!! As they say "Rome wasn't built in aday" ::pirate::

MJG

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on November 24, 2018, 10:25:57 PM
Seri wasn't bad today...but at times he plays small.

I went back and watched Southampton first goal. Seri...initially the closest player to the player that takes the shot...gets bodied out of position, goes to ground...which gives the Southampton player a clean shot on goal.  Seri needed to hold his ground.
Austin barged him to the ground, you can't expect Seri to hold his ground then.
Just the views of a long term fan