watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schurrle

Started by FFCSteve, November 24, 2018, 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCSteve

I am a Schurrle fan, quality when shooting!
But dear me he can't run for toffee! Looked like a flappy duck trying to take off chasing balls!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Andyb

Put a lot more effort in today,  just can't tackle at all. Hopefully CR will make him toughen up a bit and get more stuck in

Carborundum

Much more defensively organised today, clearly knew his job and worked with Christie to counter the excellent Redmond.  I know what you mean about his running, he's more of a drifter into space, which I mean as a compliment.

Have spent the season trying to figure out who he reminds me of.  This afternoon I got it.  If he were to let his hair grow, he's Catweazle.

Twig

Until we look more solid defensively his unwillingness and inability to do any defensive work is a bit of a liability. Not knocking him it's just that part of his game that leaves us exposed until we tighten up.

Neil D

Not impressed by him today.  I don't see how Ranieri can play him in a midfield designed to press and harry opponents into giving up possession.  He runs about a fair bit but to no real effect.  Even Seri was more effective. MotM has to be Cairney.

Riverside

A weak link at RM
Has to be upfront playing off Mitro for me

( Cairney CM )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facts Not Fiction

I don't think Schurrle is a long term solution for RM, but until we find another goal scorer, we need the goals he brings.

filham

Schurlle is  bit of a luxury, he has an eye for goal but it is difficult to see why we paid so many millions for him. I think it is a tight call for a starting place between him and Kamara.

Dodger53

Quote from: filham on November 24, 2018, 08:14:07 PM
Schurlle is  bit of a luxury, he has an eye for goal but it is difficult to see why we paid so many millions for him. I think it is a tight call for a starting place between him and Kamara.
I have always been positive abour Kamara but I thought he was poor today

Matt10

His role is not to pressure. Actually, none of our players' role is to pressure. It was clear as day, we sit back and counter. The only thing I have with Schurrle is just that he needs to get a bit more in-sync with his teammates. He's getting there though.

Statto

Quote from: Matt10 on November 24, 2018, 09:12:18 PM
His role is not to pressure. Actually, none of our players' role is to pressure. It was clear as day, we sit back and counter. The only thing I have with Schurrle is just that he needs to get a bit more in-sync with his teammates. He's getting there though.

When we haven't got the ball his role is to win it back or at least stop people walking past him. That's every player's role, and every other player did it better than Schurrle today IMO.

He has quality but if we're going to start spending large parts of the game without the ball, I'm not sure his quality with the ball justifies putting him in the starting XI. But he certainly does have a knack for scoring, to his credit.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on November 24, 2018, 11:08:18 PM

When we haven't got the ball his role is to win it back or at least stop people walking past him. That's every player's role, and every other player did it better than Schurrle today IMO.

He has quality but if we're going to start spending large parts of the game without the ball, I'm not sure his quality with the ball justifies putting him in the starting XI. But he certainly does have a knack for scoring, to his credit.

I think that sums up my conundrum with him. If Sess or TC started getting amongst the goals then I think the case for Schurrle would be even more debatable.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on November 25, 2018, 10:16:34 AM

I think that sums up my conundrum with him. If Sess or TC started getting amongst the goals then I think the case for Schurrle would be even more debatable.
we just don't have a natural right sided midfielder so Schurrle gave it a go yesterday but it's no long term solution. I don't see anyone in the squad who can do the defensive work required. Not Ayite, Kebano, Schurrle, Vietto, Kamara... The list goes on. But Schurrle does give you goals and we got away with a lot yesterday. If we need to doh le up again that side I'd consider Christie and TFM maybe on the right side as a duo. Not for ever game but now and then until January when we have to get one in.
Just the views of a long term fan

Matt10

Quote from: MJG on November 25, 2018, 10:31:39 AM

we just don't have a natural right sided midfielder so Schurrle gave it a go yesterday but it's no long term solution. I don't see anyone in the squad who can do the defensive work required. Not Ayite, Kebano, Schurrle, Vietto, Kamara... The list goes on. But Schurrle does give you goals and we got away with a lot yesterday. If we need to doh le up again that side I'd consider Christie and TFM maybe on the right side as a duo. Not for ever game but now and then until January when we have to get one in.

Agreed, I would personally enjoy seeing Christie there, but Schurrle is second in goal scoring, so Christie's workrate has to continue to be much higher. When Ayite or AK took the RMF role, they played no different than Schurrle did defensively. I was paying a lot of attention to that side because of how much stick Christie has received since Arsenal. Go figure he had a brilliant match.

MJG

Quote from: Matt10 on November 25, 2018, 06:39:49 PM

Agreed, I would personally enjoy seeing Christie there, but Schurrle is second in goal scoring, so Christie's workrate has to continue to be much higher. When Ayite or AK took the RMF role, they played no different than Schurrle did defensively. I was paying a lot of attention to that side because of how much stick Christie has received since Arsenal. Go figure he had a brilliant match.
I've always thought the criticism he got for the Arsenal game was overblown.
Just the views of a long term fan

AnOldBrownie

He's getting better.

I'm going to give him the same rope I'm currently giving Seri.   Imo neither are great ballers, but each does ONE thing very well.    Seri, ball distribution.   Andre, scores.

Both are going to have to work on the rest of their game regardless of how uncomfortable it is to them, or they won't play.

Yesterday I saw Schurrle doing more defensively and without the ball than I've seen him do any other game.    Seri too.   It's a first step.

No, Schurrle will never be a good runner...and he's poor at changing direction and defense...but he's serviceable.

I also think that he'll become a better team player with added time on the squad.   

They need his goals.

S.F.Sorrow

We must see things VERY differently. Ayite is a brick wall defensively compared to Schürrle IMO.

GJB

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on November 25, 2018, 08:44:36 PM

We must see things VERY differently. Ayite is a brick wall defensively compared to Schürrle IMO.

+1 Ayite seems to know his role defensively very well (Watford game this season is a prime example), not surprised that Ranieri subbed him on for the end of the game. I agree with you though that AK always seems lost when having to play more defensively while on the right

GJB

Quote from: GJB on November 25, 2018, 08:51:00 PM

+1 Ayite seems to know his role defensively very well (Watford game this season is a prime example), not surprised that Ranieri subbed him on for the end of the game. I agree with you though that AK always seems lost when having to play more defensively while on the right

In a 4-4-2 formation, I'd be happy with Ayite at RM and Schurrle up top with Mitro

Statto

Quote from: GJB on November 25, 2018, 08:51:00 PM

Agreed
Put it this way, I'm relatively old and crap at football whereas Ayite does it for a living, so if you gave me a football stood in front of Ayite and told me to dribble past him, I wouldn't even bother trying. Schurrle on the other hand, I reckon I could dribble back and forth past him about 15 times before at some point tripping over and tackling myself.