more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Racism

Started by BedsFFC, December 11, 2018, 11:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Too much said about the subject its been around
forever,and will continue to be around forever.
Racism comes from all sides no matter what colour or creed,Pakistani and Indians have always hated one another,Muslim and Jew,Catholic and Protestant,Black n White,and whatever else.
They will never go away as long as man is alive I'm afraid,that is the way of the world.
Move on and talk about football and how we are going to get out of this mess...Coyw.

RaySmith

What about his nickname AK 47?

Association of black men  with guns and violence , or just because his initials are AK, and  a white player with the same initial might have the same nickname? Which i suppose isn't bad for a rampaging forward  to  have, being associeted with toughness and a no nonsense  attitude.

But I have been a  bit irritated about how people go on about  AK's lack of skill,and seem to ignore his attributes, which include  a lot of skill too , like when he scored the other day, which some said was a fluke. But is this anything to do with unconscious racism?

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: RaySmith on December 11, 2018, 04:32:37 PM

Association of black men  with guns and violence , or just because his initials are AK, and  a white player with the same initial might have the same nickname? Which i suppose isn't bad for a rampaging forward  to  have, being associeted with toughness and a no nonsense  attitude.

But I have been a  bit irritated about how people go on about  AK's lack of skill,and seem to ignore his attributes, which include  a lot of skill too , like when he scored the other day, which some said was a fluke. But is this anything to do with unconscious racism?
In fairness, I think he did that deliberately by choosing the squad number 47.

FFC1987

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 04:34:16 PM

Didn't his friends start calling him that after how powerful a shot he had? Swear I heard a french interview say that?

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 11, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 04:34:16 PM

Didn't his friends start calling him that after how powerful a shot he had? Swear I heard a french interview say that?
Was unaware but interesting if that's the case. Clearly he didn't have a problem with it so guess it stuck.

Jimpav

Interesting comments re. Kamara, but I'm struggling with the notions that that there is unconcious racism underpinning these.

It can be too easy to overanalyse things and create issues that aren't there.

Apologies if this is spoken as a white male on the cusp sandwiched between Gen X and the Millenials.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: KJS on December 11, 2018, 04:11:01 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 11, 2018, 03:45:55 PM
Quote from: KJS on December 11, 2018, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 11, 2018, 03:10:11 PM
I was once called a White Adonis by a very attractive local lady in a bar in a fishing village off the Skeleton Coast where my ship was anchored when I was in the Navy, I took that as a compliment.

RN OR PIRATE  :005:

Pirate 🏴‍☠️ under the Skull & Crossbones, and I still have my Parrot Cocoa, who I obtained from a Cocoa plantation to prove it.

I sailed under the Skull and Crossbones only mine was in RN Submarine Service  ::pirate::

I see, or should I say I sea.
I am now mainly involved in Smuggling Rum off the English Coast around inlets off Cornwall, when I can get down there.
I remember sailing in a gale forced storm in the English Channel, and the ships cook was a woman who wanted to come up on deck as she was feeling bit woozy as the ship was battered by the storm.
She decided to lean over and put her head through a Porthole  to I assume throw up. As she did a huge swell forced  the ship to keel from Port to Starboard which caused me to lose my balance slightly and push into her.
She suddenly said to me, what is that, and I said don't worry it's the roll of the sea, and she replied, it feels more like a roll of Lino.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 11, 2018, 04:25:50 PM
Too much said about the subject its been around
forever,and will continue to be around forever.
Racism comes from all sides no matter what colour or creed,Pakistani and Indians have always hated one another,Muslim and Jew,Catholic and Protestant,Black n White,and whatever else.
They will never go away as long as man is alive I'm afraid,that is the way of the world.
Move on and talk about football and how we are going to get out of this mess...Coyw.

Correct
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

flyingfish

Quote from: Jimpav on December 11, 2018, 05:10:00 PM
Apologies if this is spoken as a white male on the cusp sandwiched between Gen X and the Millenials.

At times I really really love this board.  COYW

john dempsey

think the media need to show some restraint in claiming this was racist.
they incite hatred like they always do .
david beckham vilified by journalists .
hillsborogh Liverpool fans accused of urinating on and robbing dying  fans.
also players surrounding refs. should stop as these incite crowd,

KJS

Quote from: john dempsey on December 11, 2018, 05:49:05 PM

The media didn't make the original claim it was Sterling :doh:

Mitch

Quote from: KJS on December 11, 2018, 05:52:01 PM
Quote from: john dempsey on December 11, 2018, 05:49:05 PM

The media didn't make the original claim it was Sterling :doh:

Pretty sure it did start from the media, then Sterling had his say afterwards?

john dempsey

but the media jumped on the claim without any facts,
and whilst the persons who gave the abuse was a total fool
nobody around him heard any racist abuse .

Russianrob

The World Cup in Qatar in 2022 will be the last one in my opinion.Nothing to do with Race however but because FIFA are finally recognized for being the bent orgaization they really are-selling out to oil rich countries!

filham

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 01:26:40 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 11, 2018, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 01:13:21 PM
I have, sadly, seen mild cases of it on this board, including a thread titled 'flog the frogs' with regards to players who aren't even French.

French is a race now is it. News to me
Alright then, xenophobia. Whatever it is, it isn't pleasant and has no place on this board or in football.

I am dead against any form of racism especially at the Cottage and honestly , to the best of my knowledge I have never seen it at a Fulham match.
However a lot of us older folk wouldn't consider a reference to Frogs as racist in the same way as we accept remarks about Jocks, Taffs, Pommies and Paddies without offence.. We need someone to produce guidelines for us perhaps.

Anyway let us demonstrate that we are the absolute opposites to racists at the Cottage by singing louder than usual " He is one of our own" every time Sess. gets the ball on Saturday.

e4b

Anyone remember Stan Horne who played for us late 60s early 70s. We had a chant for him which today would be totally unacceptable but at the time was sung with affection.

abfg

Yes. Every time we play Tottenham. It's a complete disgrace but nobody cares. Tens of thousands of supporters every weekend singing racist language.

@jolslover

To be fair I wouldn't say the term donkey is racist, or saying Kamara doesn't have a footballing brain.
I called Matt Smith / Dan Burn donkeys about 15 times a day, and still do to this day. Wouldn't say its a colour thing.
I say Kamara doesn't have a footballing brain because he doesn't, not really because he is black.
I do think there is a huge amount of Xenophobia amongst football fans (ingrained by Talk Sport etc) but hey what can you do.
STH H3

KJS

Quote from: abfg on December 11, 2018, 08:21:39 PM
Yes. Every time we play Tottenham. It's a complete disgrace but nobody cares. Tens of thousands of supporters every weekend singing racist language.

:54: :plus one:

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on December 11, 2018, 10:13:20 PM
The most annoying thing about this is I can't stand Sterling and would love to shout all manner of abuse (non-racist) abuse at him if he came running past my seat at the Cottage. But there is now a very real chance I'd come home to see my face all over Twitter and people saying what a vile racist scumbag I am.

You'd probably not get called racist unless you actually said something racist.
STH H3