more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Racism

Started by BedsFFC, December 11, 2018, 11:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarneyTravers

Quote from: e4b on December 11, 2018, 06:36:25 PM
Anyone remember Stan Horne who played for us late 60s early 70s. We had a chant for him which today would be totally unacceptable but at the time was sung with affection.

Recall Howard Gayle's debut at Deepdale in 79....the same lyrics were sung but different name.

Spoke to John Richardson a while back...he always wondered what became of Stanley.. hopefully fit and well..presumably residing somewhere near his Manchester roots.

coyw

Holders

Quote from: BarneyTravers on December 12, 2018, 07:55:05 PM
Quote from: e4b on December 11, 2018, 06:36:25 PM
Anyone remember Stan Horne who played for us late 60s early 70s. We had a chant for him which today would be totally unacceptable but at the time was sung with affection.

Recall Howard Gayle's debut at Deepdale in 79....the same lyrics were sung but different name.

Spoke to John Richardson a while back...he always wondered what became of Stanley.. hopefully fit and well..presumably residing somewhere near his Manchester roots.

coyw

Hand on heart, the only thing I've heard at Fulham was the Stan Horne song which I won't write here but was really not that offensive, if at all, it was meant in an affectionate way. Yet when someone else came along later he was dubbed "Fulham's first black player". I've only heard support for our "ethnic minority" players and the usual abuse for opposition players quite irrespective of their colour.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jimpav

Chelski making the headlines again.

Too stupid/ignorant to realise that the man who bought their recent success is Jewish.

KJS

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 12, 2018, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 12, 2018, 02:34:11 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on December 12, 2018, 01:56:30 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 11, 2018, 10:13:20 PM
The most annoying thing about this is I can't stand Sterling and would love to shout all manner of abuse (non-racist) abuse at him if he came running past my seat at the Cottage. But there is now a very real chance I'd come home to see my face all over Twitter and people saying what a vile racist scumbag I am.

Why can you not stand Sterling? Seems a decent lad to me. He doesnt fit for me the pantomine vllain type of player. He's bloody good and that can be annoying

Refused to play for Liverpool to get more money from Man City. Gets a tattoo on his leg propagating one of the worst stereotypes for young black people. Then complains about racism. Standard overrated young English player, too busy on nitrous oxide to win us a world cup. Now claims it's unfair that we all find it odd that a Man City player no one has heard of, who hasn't even played in the first team can spend millions on a new house. Ex-QPR.

Sure, all of these things may give you reason for not liking the guy. Why anyone would like to shout abuse at him because of it is however beyond me, and inexcusable. Act like adults instead, and maybe you would even set an example for the younger ones.

Perhaps he wants to shout non racist abuse at Sterling because he is a typical over paid footballer who likes to give it the "Big I Am " on social media but hides behind the colour of his skin when anybody has a go at him for doing so.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I remember Tyrone James playing for Fulham at right back (?), and my uncle who is long since dead was a season ticket holder from the 1930s to the 70s..
Tyrone was probably our first coloured player of modern times and it prompted the comment from my uncle that 'they could play in defence but we're not temperamentally suited to play as forwards'

Please excuse this quote which would not be made in modern times but was so ignorant and reflected the general attitude before coloured players became an established part of football.