more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The Wine Thread

Started by Milo, December 14, 2018, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somerset Fulham

This is the most Fulham thread that I have ever seen. 064.gif

Like an ice cold Sauv Blanc myself, the Marlborough Estate ones seem to be worth paying the extra for.

Twig

At this time of year I enjoy a full bodied, fruit forward red and often this is either a Southern Rhone (a Grenache/ Shiraz blend) or a Claret.  For my Rhones I've been enjoying wines from the Cairanne region - try Cairanne Peyre Blanche, Famille Perrin.  The Wine Society does the 2019 for £10.95. As a great value Claret I'd recommend Chateau Argadens - Adnams has the 2016 for £12.99.

However I recently tried the red wines from from Collioure and I was so impressed.  The Wine Society has Collioure Rouge La Bergerie des Abeilles, Domaine de la Rectorie 2020 for £11.50 and I think it's a steal.

Milo

Agree with the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc!

As for your suggestions Twig, I agree completely with the Rhone valley and clarets. Will buy order a few you've suggested tonight! Will open with my father when I visit him next week. Must admit I quite like when they mix in Mourvèdre to Rhone valley reds.

Carborundum

Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz the house red. 

Albariño is a bit of an under the radar white.  We love it.

The point made above about Chateaneuf being far better on Christmas Day  than Bordeaux or Burgundy for the price point is spot on.  In a similar vein, if you see a bottle of Gigondas or Vacqueyras for the same price as a Chateauneuf, it will be a similar blend but better.  Two appellations that rarely disappoint.

Burgundy with beef, Bordeaux with lamb.

Special occasions are best matched with fruity wines many will enjoy.  Aged wine is often best enjoyed on a wet Wednesday with the missus. 

Final tip, and this is the best one.  Get a can of Winesave Argon gas.  Good for the liver, good for the wallet. Lea and Sandeman do them.  An opened bottle will stay good for a month.

Shredhead

Only just discovered this thread. I like Twig's Rhone recommendations especially as we're also Wine Society members.  We're big Portuguese wine fans and the WS does some great ones. Their own vinho verde is an excellent example. If you like slightly acidic Whites, look for ones made of arinto grapes. If you like Bordeaux style reds, look for touriga nacional grapes.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Woolly Mammoth

This is all very appetising, and i am no connoisseur, but these posts do remind me of the time i once gorged on Burgundy served in a human skull.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

Woolly you must have been drinking the "best for under £20" - you can drink this out of a WWI boot and see the quality:

Chateau Faizeau Montagne Saint-Emilion 2018

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rock on October 30, 2022, 12:18:14 AM
Woolly you must have been drinking the "best for under £20" - you can drink this out of a WWI boot and see the quality:

Chateau Faizeau Montagne Saint-Emilion 2018

The Rock, i have to say i thought that was a very good year.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SG

Don't know whether anyone has loaded the Vivino app. Take a photo of a bottle label or wine list in a restaurant and it will rate the wines. Interesting results and can be helpful.

Milo

Waitrose - Cremant De Bourgogne Blanc de Blanc (Cave de Lugny) £11.99 (reduced from £18) this week.

Sparkling Chardonnay from the Macon region.

Quaffable Blanc de Blanc from Burgandy for a fraction of the price you pay for eg the English equivalent. 

Lemon mousse notes.

Plodder

Directly beneath this thread is one titled "Gusto Red". Is that a recommendation accidentally posted in the wrong thread?

Milo

Quote from: Plodder on January 13, 2024, 08:36:18 PMDirectly beneath this thread is one titled "Gusto Red". Is that a recommendation accidentally posted in the wrong thread?

Shall I merge?  :slap: