Main Menu

Sorry I don't understand football anymore

Started by Lighthouse, October 16, 2010, 04:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmithyFFC

Absolute joke. Been robbed, Spurs players bullied ref into giving it.  :red:
FTID

cebu

We all know that if Fulham had got this "goal", it would have stayed disallowed!  :014:

ron

Quote from: Aldo on October 16, 2010, 06:49:59 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on October 16, 2010, 05:41:26 PM
Le Tiss says the Lino overuled the Ref, Apparantly the Ref dissasllowed it, Spurs players asked him to speak to the lino who then said Gallas didn't touch it, so he gave it  :49:  :014: .

No, lino had his flag up for offside straight away! Definitely the other way around. That's twice Spurs have done us like that. Same thing happened in the FA Cup last season! I really don't understand the offside rule any more!

I don't think anyone does understand the offside law, least of all the controlling body who have cobbled together an ambiguous law that defies anyone to make sense of...in order to keep the game flowing and mainly to produce plenty of goals - deserved or not - so that the Sky Television paymasters have plenty of "goalbites" to show on the box.

....much the same as T20 in cricket is an abomination to purists, but a godsend to those who want the television audiences who used to watch "Gladiators"

...All together now;  "Another one bites the dust..."

Rant over. I'm off up the pub.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 16, 2010, 05:04:37 PM
The poor equaliser so soon after our goal was silly. We are still finding our forwards so no panic yet. But I don't understand why a player, if he is off side and goes for the ball is not active while in front of the keeper. Linesman thought so. On the BBC they were debating  it.  With different conclusions.

Murphy and Dembele both injured. How badly?

Now we are going to need a win soon.

Not a great result but lets not have a go at Kamara or Greening who both did ok and  Kamara needs time.

Do you remember when we watched football that didn't have a controversial moment in it? No nor me.

Both Dembele and Murphy did'nt look very comfortable as they came off at half time. Dembele was limping and flexed his ankle a couple of times indicating it was possibly stiffening up and Murph had both hands thrust firmly down the front of his shorts. One would like to think he had an upper thigh muscle twinge or a tight groin ............... he could of course have just been fiddling with himself !!!!! It was no suprise when they came off. Interesting to see Sparkie go for it with the hapless EJ on for Greening. Alas EJ and Kamara as a front pairing effectively made us a nine man team.
Have to say P3 is usually a decent place to be whatever the mix. We've sat with Germans, Italians, Scousers and even people from Hull. Its all been easy going friendly stuff. Not today. What a bunch of no nothing, arrogant and indeed ignorant bunch these particulars spuds were.

Scrumpy

Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 17, 2010, 12:33:26 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on October 16, 2010, 05:04:37 PM
The poor equaliser so soon after our goal was silly. We are still finding our forwards so no panic yet. But I don't understand why a player, if he is off side and goes for the ball is not active while in front of the keeper. Linesman thought so. On the BBC they were debating  it.  With different conclusions.

Murphy and Dembele both injured. How badly?

Now we are going to need a win soon.

Not a great result but lets not have a go at Kamara or Greening who both did ok and  Kamara needs time.

Do you remember when we watched football that didn't have a controversial moment in it? No nor me.

Both Dembele and Murphy did'nt look very comfortable as they came off at half time. Dembele was limping and flexed his ankle a couple of times indicating it was possibly stiffening up and Murph had both hands thrust firmly down the front of his shorts. One would like to think he had an upper thigh muscle twinge or a tight groin ............... he could of course have just been fiddling with himself !!!!! It was no suprise when they came off. Interesting to see Sparkie go for it with the hapless EJ on for Greening. Alas EJ and Kamara as a front pairing effectively made us a nine man team.
Have to say P3 is usually a decent place to be whatever the mix. We've sat with Germans, Italians, Scousers and even people from Hull. Its all been easy going friendly stuff. Not today. What a bunch of no nothing, arrogant and indeed ignorant bunch these particulars spuds were.
One of the reasons why they are hated by every other team in London , mate. Muggy fans.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Lighthouse

Lets just do away with offsides. I don't know when or who is offside anymore. A player can stand infront of the keeper and not be offside for 90 minutes. He would be considered not active. Is that the rule. I suppose obstructing the keeper like at Blackburn is also no longer a foul either so it would be hard for the keeper tp claim that now.

I have said for years that the off side is no longer making any sense. So lets do away with it. Nobody knows, the officials no longer know as they have to have a debate about it. So lets get rid.

As I said, look what they have done to our game.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

I'm with Mr. Lighthouse. Bill Shankly's offside law for me.  "if you are not interfering with play, what are you doing on the pitch"

epsomraver

They are now saying that, as it came off Baird he played Gallas on side but that still doesn't explain the fact he was offside when the ball was kicked.

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on October 17, 2010, 01:19:55 PM
They are now saying that, as it came off Baird he played Gallas on side but that still doesn't explain the fact he was offside when the ball was kicked.

the only thing in question was whether Gallas touched the ball, Gallas was already in an offside position so the ball touching Baird is irrelevant.

I believe the law implies that a player can stand in an offside position as long as he makes no attempt to get the ball, and this was quite clearly obvious that Gallas definitely made an attempt to get the ball thereby distracting the keeper, we see this week after week where the linesman does not raise his flag until a player in offside position goes for the ball.
Now if the ref disallowed the goal and linesman flagged for offside, what an earth did they have to talk about and what was it that changed their mind? i can only assume that the linesman could not confirm that Gallas touched/or did not touch the ball, so the benefit of any doubt was given to Huddlestone.

I think Mr Dean (for some reason yesterday i was calling him Riley) and his linesman need to have a good read of the rules on offside.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Quote from: epsomraver on October 17, 2010, 01:19:55 PM

See my comment earlier. It DID come off Baird, and I brought the point up as to WHEN is a player considered offside?

If it is when the ball is kicked, then you have to decide whether the player is 'interfering with play' whatever that means. Gallas could not have been interfering with play if he was passive and doing nothing at all (he wasn't in the sight-line between Mark and the place the ball was kicked from), and so did he start interfering when he moved towards the ball? If so, it had hit Baird by then and so he wasn't, at that moment, offside.

The offside rule requires some cleaning up and clarification by FIFA and the refs and linesmen need to be held to account for poor calls and decisions.

WHITEwitch

Quote from: jarv on October 17, 2010, 01:15:59 PM
I'm with Mr. Lighthouse. Bill Shankly's offside law for me.  "if you are not interfering with play, what are you doing on the pitch"

I LOVE that - hadn't heard it before - thanks!