more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team for Burnley?

Started by Facts Not Fiction, January 07, 2019, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovewhite

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 11, 2019, 12:32:48 PM
Hopefully they won't notice the extra player... This just might give us that edge we need.
ha ha well spotted sess in  at Bryan's expense

Sting of the North

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 11, 2019, 12:34:58 PM
It's from the Premier League website:

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/34/Fulham/stats

So, that's 2 errors leading to goals for the season. Ideally you should have none of course but two such errors is hardly saying much. Allison also has 2 errors for example. I still believe that he is a good player.

There is also this thing of judging an action by its consequence that doesn't really sit right with me. In this case, you can have a player making a huge mistake passing to an attacker of the opposition in front of an empty net. If the attacker somehow manages to miss the target, then it is all of a sudden not an error that will show up in this category. Not dismissing that he made those errors, but it is hardly a very interesting stat by itself is it?

Matt10

Quote from: simplyfulham on January 11, 2019, 11:50:07 AM
I quite like that team.. with the exception of Cisse.

The Oldham game confirmed it for me that he is far from good enough. We simply have to have someone else in the squad who can play there.

I'm not sure I agree about Christie's crossing either, he's no David Beckham and he's maybe a little inconsistent but he comes up with enough key passes during a game. I don't think he's any worse then Fred when it comes to crossing.

I think it was good to see some cracks in his touches to be honest. He recovered well, but yes, I noticed some heavy touches and positioning issues when we were attacking. He's got a good size on him and decent speed. That will be important against Cork and Westwood, who aren't the biggest in the centre-midfield.

You're right about Christie. He's got a cross on him, but not terribly consistent. The problem is that is a bit skewed because there have been times when it's only Mitro in the box, so the chances of connecting lessen. I hope we can get enough players in the box for the scrappy type goals like the winner against Southampton.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 11, 2019, 12:42:16 PM
So, that's 2 errors leading to goals for the season. Ideally you should have none of course but two such errors is hardly saying much. Allison also has 2 errors for example. I still believe that he is a good player.

There is also this thing of judging an action by its consequence that doesn't really sit right with me. In this case, you can have a player making a huge mistake passing to an attacker of the opposition in front of an empty net. If the attacker somehow manages to miss the target, then it is all of a sudden not an error that will show up in this category. Not dismissing that he made those errors, but it is hardly a very interesting stat by itself is it?

It also probably counts the Chelsea game as one of his errors where Odoi sold him up poo creek with Kante up his arse which you could argue makes the stat  very 2D in that it's putting the blame solely on one person when in the case of that goal you'd suggest it's 2-3 players in the build up to that goal that are at fault. Also means that people escape getting a tally in that stat if it's not glaringly obvious e.g. Odoi going to sleep in the Wolves game and losing the winger who had years of time to put the cross in for the equaliser

Interestingly it seems that MLM is the most solid defender when it comes to tackling anyway, so perhaps he should be one of the first names on the team sheet when all of the defenders are fit owing to his defensive contributions being far better than others.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 11, 2019, 12:56:23 PM
It also probably counts the Chelsea game as one of his errors where Odoi sold him up poo creek with Kante up his arse which you could argue makes the stat  very 2D in that it's putting the blame solely on one person when in the case of that goal you'd suggest it's 2-3 players in the build up to that goal that are at fault.

Interestingly it seems that MLM is the most solid defender when it comes to tackling anyway, so perhaps he should be one of the first names on the team sheet when all of the defenders are fit owing to his defensive contributions being far better than others.

You should probable also look at stats like clearances, where I think Odoi is high on the list, albeit with many minutes played.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 11, 2019, 12:42:16 PM

Personally I don't think ANY stats are very interesting by themselves. But when bringing stats into the picture then at least ALL stats should be considered, not just the ones that fit with your point of view. I'm not saying Cairney is defensively stronger than Seri, that would be insane! But Seri clearly has some issues too. For a DM to be directly responsible for 2 conceded goals in half a season isn't very reassuring IMO.

Sting of the North

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 11, 2019, 01:34:01 PM

Personally I don't think ANY stats are very interesting by themselves. But when bringing stats into the picture then at least ALL stats should be considered, not just the ones that fit with your point of view. I'm not saying Cairney is defensively stronger than Seri, that would be insane! But Seri clearly has some issues too. For a DM to be directly responsible for 2 conceded goals in half a season isn't very reassuring IMO.

I just think that this is a particular useless stat given the really small sample and extreme lack of context. It is not good for sure but these still only accounts for two occasions. Stats overall are difficult to put into context in football in many cases I believe which often make them flawed, and you should always consider whether or not they tell a full story.

I do see where you are coming from with your comment, but ALL stats is not necessary in every discussion. I mean, all available proof should ideally always be considered, but whether this particular stat actually adds much of interest to the discussion is something we will just have to disagree on at the moment. I would rather look at how often he is dispossessed for example as at least that gives a decent sample now. He is at the top 100 in the PL (or maybe that should be the bottom 100 seeing as it is a bad thing) but not sure if that is bad either. Our worst "offenders" there are naturally Mitro, followed by offensive players like Shürrle and Vietto for example. For me, it is more interesting whether he looses the ball a lot rather than whether or not it results in goals against. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a stat on loosing the ball in key moments (i.e. dangerous areas) as that would have been more useful than the other stats in this regards. Ther is of course a huge difference in loosing the ball when taking a player on in the final third versus when you are showing for the pass outside your on penalty area. Context, in a nutshell. 

Riversider

Stats are for incredibly dull people that like plane spotting and arranging all their tins in a particular way in their cupboard, they also iron their socks.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on January 11, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
Stats are for incredibly dull people that like plane spotting and arranging all their tins in a particular way in their cupboard, they also iron their socks.

Yes, thankfully there is always gut feeling and bias to complement those dull stats. 

bornafulhamfan

Rico
Christie Odoi Ream MLM Bryan
Seri Chambers
Kamara Mitro Sess

Bench: Betts, S. Sess, Kmac, Cairney, Schuerrle, Vietto, Ayite

YoungsBitter

I think against a team like Burnley away who do not score often and rarely concede the absolute priority is not going behind, we must score first.
If we sit back like we did against Huddersfield in the 1st half and allowing them getting balls into the box to Woods and Barnes, both are bigger than Odoi and Ream and will bully our nervous defense. If we do that they will score and then we are screwed. I think you can take any 2 from the Odoi, Ream and MLM 3, I think based on aerial performance (forgetting awful second goal for Oldham) I would go Odoi and MLM.

We should probably then go for 4-4-2 and get at them early and often. We need to stop the service rather than try and go 3 men on Barnes/Woods and fight in our box, we must stop the cross and midfield service, get the ball back fast and counter attack.

Rico
Christie Odoi MLM Bryan
Schurrle Cisse Chambers Sess
Cairney
Mitro

We then have option for 2nd half for AK, in for Schurrle, Seri for Cairney if not working. Schurrle/Christie, Bryan/Sess critical to work together to stop the crosses; Cisse Chambers break up play and can help out Odoi/MLM as needed. This gives option when we break to have 4 in Sess, Cairney and Schurrle all backing up knock downs from Mitro and providing goal threat.
Quark, strangeness and charm

filham

Interesting thread that has been running all week with many ideas on players and formations.

I wonder what Ranieri will come up with, could be some surprises at 2-10 pm tomorrow.

Brawn

GK 1 M Bettinelli

RB 22 C Christie
RCB 4 D Odoi
CB 20 M Le Marchand
LCB 13 T Ream
LB 23 J Bryan

RCM 24 J Seri
LCM 5 C Chambers

RAM 47 A Kamara
ST 9 A Mitrovic
LAM 3 R Sessegnon