more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oldham fan in peace.....

Started by Latic20, January 09, 2019, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latic20

Hi All,

Oldham fan in peace here. I just wanted to take the time to mention just how great of an experience it was to come to Craven Cottage on Sunday....

It is a ground I have always wanted to visit due to it's reputation as an "old-fashioned" type ground with a bit of charm. You, as fans, were extremely welcoming to us visitors and it was refreshing for two sets of fans to discuss their teams fortunes in a pub without being told it's home fans only!

The walk through Bishops Park up to the stadium must be one of the nicest in English football and a far cry from walking across Clayton Playing fields in Oldham - I think the irony of our "Fulham's a sh*thole chant was lost on some, but I can assure you it was sang in jest! If you have ever been to Oldham then you will know what I mean!

Oldham fans seem to love a London away day, but Sunday was one of the best for me - not just for the result and atmosphere but it was the way football should be. Two sets of fans supporting their team, no conflict and no overpolicing - too often we are treated like cattle simply for attending a football game.

Best of luck for the rest of the season. I will be following your games, although it must be said I think there will be the omission of a certain Mr Cairney from my fantasy football side!

Jimpav

Thanks Latic 20.

Glad you had a good day out and well done on the win.

We're going to need all the luck we can for the rets of the season, but hopefully you have given us the kick up the arse we needed, ahead of Burnley.

Good luck against Doncaster, we'll be following your progress in the cup.

hovewhite

Latic20 enjoy your result you deserved it good luck next round.you bought a great turnout to the cottage and gave great support.

Spirit of 2000

Thanks for the nice words ... well done, good luck in the next round and the league. It's good to have fans around that are decent and understand some of the core values of football, something that's often lost in the circus which is the premiership.

bog

A much appreciated post Latic20. I could not get to the game and despite being right brassed off (and worse) with the result watched the highlights. There is no doubt you deserved to win and more so by way of the two pathetic dives our players committed trying to win penalties. Your fans were fantastic! I recall that semi final you had with United and it was a last minute equaliser by Hughes that robbed you of the final. Good luck in the next round and for the rest of the season and beyond.  :54:

092.gif

Latic20

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 09, 2019, 10:15:12 AM
Thanks for the nice words ... well done, good luck in the next round and the league. It's good to have fans around that are decent and understand some of the core values of football, something that's often lost in the circus which is the premiership.

It's funny you mention the premiership. Whilst I am too young to be around for our "pinch me" seasons of the early 90s and would love to see us play in the top tier, I am not sure I would enjoy all that it entails - notably the varying KO times and apparent discard for the fans' best interests.

20 years in League 1 and now League 2 makes days like Sunday even more special. In my 22 years supporting OAFC, we have made the playoffs once and the only real highlights are FA Cup wins against Man City, Liverpool, Everton and yourselves. It's sad that the effects of the Premier League are seemingly devaluing the FA Cup. Everything seems to revolve around the PL - many of our fans boycott the EFL Trophy since PL u21 teams were introduced.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Latic20 on January 09, 2019, 10:43:40 AM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 09, 2019, 10:15:12 AM

It's funny you mention the premiership. Whilst I am too young to be around for our "pinch me" seasons of the early 90s and would love to see us play in the top tier, I am not sure I would enjoy all that it entails - notably the varying KO times and apparent discard for the fans' best interests.

20 years in League 1 and now League 2 makes days like Sunday even more special. In my 22 years supporting OAFC, we have made the playoffs once and the only real highlights are FA Cup wins against Man City, Liverpool, Everton and yourselves. It's sad that the effects of the Premier League are seemingly devaluing the FA Cup. Everything seems to revolve around the PL - many of our fans boycott the EFL Trophy since PL u21 teams were introduced.

You're not wrong - getting to the Premiership is a lot more fun than actually being in it!

Milo

RaySmith

Thanks for this post Latic20.

Great to hear your warm words - there's too much conflict and hostility publicised these days, when, in reality, most fans get on fine with each other, and enjoy a pint together,  and share a lot in common.

Oldham fans were certainly a credit to your club the other night, with their brilliant support on a Sunday afternoon, miles from home, and i wish you and your club all the very best for the future.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on January 09, 2019, 11:31:09 AM

Great to hear your warm words - there's too much conflict and hostility publicised these days, when, in reality, most fans get on fine with each other, and enjoy a pint together,  and share a lot in common.

Oldham fans were certainly a credit to your club the other night, with their brilliant support on a weekday night miles from home, and i wish you and your club all the very best for the future.

Well said.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: RaySmith on January 09, 2019, 11:31:09 AM

Oldham fans were certainly a credit to your club the other night, with their brilliant support on a weekday night miles from home, and i wish you and your club all the very best for the future.
Ray it was Sunday afternoon, not weekday night
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ffcne

Good Luck to Oldham.
Proper football club in Manchester.
My first visit to Boundary Pk 1974 Lost 1-0
Then early 80's used to drive a wagon for my Dad and get a return
load from Osram factory in Shaw back to London.
Had some great nights out in their social club
They were the good old days.

res

Nice comments, pity that all opposing fans can't do this. We've a reputation of being friendly, including sharing pre match pints with the opposition and giving respect to them, especially those travelling distances.
Problem this season is that we've extended our friendship to the opposition onto the pitch!

F(f)CUK

Not tried this before, if you are Fulham fan then don't bother trying the link.  Oldham fans might want to.

alfie

Gotta say the abuse I received from Oldham fans when I came out of my house was very intimidating and quite scary, but as usual was a minority few.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

SG

Good Luck Latic 20
i remember visiting Boundary Park in the early 70s - I dont think it was a Fulham game but I have never been so cold in my life - pitch like an ice rink. Those were the days when footballers were men!

win-dup

Best ever support from away fans I've seen at the Cottage. Hope you get past Doncaster and then draw Man Utd at home. Good luck.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Great work Latic20 and congratulations on your deserved victory and the fantastic support.
Like a few others, I always enjoyed my trips to Boundary Park in the 70s standing in the enclosure.
Good luck in the next round and for the rest of the season.

HV71

Good luck in the next round Latic 20 . So glad you enjoyed the Cottage and the friendly nature of our fans. Sadly on the pitch we treated it as a friendly - but that shouldn't take anything away from your well deserved victory . Well done and hopefully you enjoy a good run in the Cup

Latic20

Quote from: alfie on January 09, 2019, 12:46:11 PM
Gotta say the abuse I received from Oldham fans when I came out of my house was very intimidating and quite scary, but as usual was a minority few.

Disappointed to hear that, Alfie. As with all clubs, we have our fair share of idiots. I will never understand the mindset of wanting to cause trouble, even after a few beers.

We had had our fill in the Coat & Badge in Putney! At £6.50 a pint, I am glad we only have a trip to Doncaster in the 4th round!