https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Window: As it happened, and discussion

Started by Mince n Tatties, January 12, 2019, 07:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

Quote from: @jolslover on January 16, 2019, 03:04:21 PM
Quote from: bobby01 on January 16, 2019, 02:31:20 PM
So 32 is the new 28, after being told we would not sign anyone over 28, we now have Babel, looking at Simpson and Cahill. It beggars belief.

If we don't sign players over 28, Khan gets abuse for not signing experience, If we do Khan gets abuse for signings mercenaries.
No doubt he can't win with some.

Nowhere am I abusing him, but I am damn sure joka would have liked to have been offered some experienced players. The point I was making was it is a complete change of policy, not that it's wrong, just a lack of thinking on recruitment.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

RaySmith

Is it not to do with the urgency of our situation, also the short term deal.

JoelH5

Quote from: bobby01 on January 16, 2019, 04:12:46 PM
So 32 is the new 28, after being told we would not sign anyone over 28, we now have Babel, looking at Simpson and Cahill. It beggars belief.

If we don't sign players over 28, Khan gets abuse for not signing experience, If we do Khan gets abuse for signings mercenaries.

Nowhere am I abusing him, but I am damn sure joka would have liked to have been offered some experienced players. The point I was making was it is a complete change of policy, not that it's wrong, just a lack of thinking on recruitment.

Or a sign OF thinking as they realised the policy wasn't working and changed it. Isn't that the sign of a good leader?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Sting of the North

I believe you really jump the gun if you say that this is a complete change of policy just because our short term needs may be experience. I don't think this window should be seen as a policy defining window but more an implication of whether or not we are really giving survival a shot. Doesn't have to mean that our long term recruitment policy has changed. Maybe it has, and time will tell but I don't think that finding short term help now means anything more than just that. So far we have a 6 month contract for a 32 year old player. Maybe not a complete change of long term direction.

Also, if there is an under 28 policy (which I am not sure has ever been confirmed, but may be wrong) it doesn't mean that under no circumstances can we acquire someone older.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on January 16, 2019, 03:30:42 PM

Really, well no offence but I would take the opinion of Eddie Howe and his recruitment team over you and the Fulham recruitment team every time,
Bournemouth have had success after success after success in the transfer window whilst Fulham have had failure after failure after failure in the transfer market,
Bournemouth constantly buy hungry young players on the way up whereas Fulham constantly buy players on the way down,
Bournemouth are one of the best run teams in The Premier League whereby Fulham are one of the worst,
Incidentally how much of Chris Mepham have you seen recently to form your view ?

Where does this statement come from that we constantly buy players on the way down? You mean like Chambers, Mawson, Seri, Anguissa, Bryan, TFM and MLM? They may not be good enough (although that can be argued in several cases) and they may not all be players we needed, but to say that they are all players on the way down is just untrue. If you should criticize, maybe keep the criticism to reality, because given our current situation there sure are things to criticize. 

bobby01

Balotelli off to Marseille according to bbc
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Riversider

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 16, 2019, 04:35:44 PM

Really, well no offence but I would take the opinion of Eddie Howe and his recruitment team over you and the Fulham recruitment team every time,
Bournemouth have had success after success after success in the transfer window whilst Fulham have had failure after failure after failure in the transfer market,
Bournemouth constantly buy hungry young players on the way up whereas Fulham constantly buy players on the way down,
Bournemouth are one of the best run teams in The Premier League whereby Fulham are one of the worst,
Incidentally how much of Chris Mepham have you seen recently to form your view ?

Where does this statement come from that we constantly buy players on the way down? You mean like Chambers, Mawson, Seri, Anguissa, Bryan, TFM and MLM? They may not be good enough (although that can be argued in several cases) and they may not all be players we needed, but to say that they are all players on the way down is just untrue. If you should criticize, maybe keep the criticism to reality, because given our current situation there sure are things to criticize. 

How many of those players could be classed as "on their way up" in the same way that the Bournemouth signings like Ale, Brooks, Solanke, Wilson, Mepham etc  etc  have been ?

filham

Needs must, we are desperate for  good experienced players to make an immediate impact. Our age policy to ensure value for money over a period of time has to give way to a more pressing situation.

If Babel performs and makes a difference over the rest of the season he will have been a good signing.

FFC1987

Quote from: Riversider on January 16, 2019, 05:33:53 PM

How many of those players could be classed as "on their way up" in the same way that the Bournemouth signings like Ale, Brooks, Solanke, Wilson, Mepham etc  etc  have been ?

I'd argue Seri, Anguissa, Mawson and Bryan without hindsight, would of been considered on the up.

Sting of the North

First off, I didn't claim that our players were on the way up as much as the Bournemouth recruits.

Secondly, the jury is surely still out regarding Solanke and Mepham? I agree that Ake and Brooks looks like excellent signing even after the fact. Wilson is also very good but surely no more up and coming than most of the players I listed. Better maybe but that is another topic.

In any way, there is a reason that I didn't try to compare our recruiting to what is likely the most successful team in the PL in that department the last few seasons. That reason is that I am not overly impressed with Fulham in this regard. However, that was not what I questioned, was it? Tell me instead which of the players I listed that are on the way down? Since that was your argument.

DevonFFC

BREAKING NEWS

Cardiff City have agreed terms with Everton on a loan deal for Oumar Niasse until the end of the season.

Chief executive Ken Choo has confirmed to Sky Sports News in the last half hour that the striker is expected in south Wales later this evening for a medical.

We were linked with at start the season, with Sala Cardiff have certainly bolstered their strike force

Matt10

Quote from: DevonFFC on January 16, 2019, 06:19:48 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Cardiff City have agreed terms with Everton on a loan deal for Oumar Niasse until the end of the season.

Chief executive Ken Choo has confirmed to Sky Sports News in the last half hour that the striker is expected in south Wales later this evening for a medical.

We were linked with at start the season, with Sala Cardiff have certainly bolstered their strike force

8 goals last year for Niasse. Good signing. Pretty skill-full, just hasn't been selected or impactful as a sub this year.

One James stannard

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 16, 2019, 02:26:16 PM
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 16, 2019, 11:13:11 AM
FROM SKY

MCDONALD TO BE LOANED OUT

Fulham are willing to let midfielder Kevin McDonald leave the club on loan this month, Sky Sports News understands.

The 30-year-old has made only 11 appearances so far this season and last featured for Fulham in the 1-1 draw with Wolves on Boxing Day.

Sky Sports News understands a number of Sky Bet Championship sides are interested in signing McDonald.

The Scotland international signed a new two-year deal with Fulham last summer, which also included an option to extend by a further 12 months.

But following the arrival of manager Claudio Ranieri in November, McDonald has played just eight minutes of football under the Italian.

McDonald joined Fulham from Wolves in 2016 and was an integral player under former manager Slavisa Jokanovic as the club won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs last season.

I hate Sky Sports.    They report "It's cloudy and it MAY rain today" and call it news.     Speculation shouldn't be news.

My advice, don't watch sky sports news

One James stannard

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 16, 2019, 04:28:27 PM

Or a sign OF thinking as they realised the policy wasn't working and changed it. Isn't that the sign of a good leader?

I was thinking the exact same thing Joel

DevonFFC

Spirit of 2000

BREAKING NEWS

Colin may well be a w*nker but his transfer dealings at a fraction of the cost have put us and TK to shame. They have a fighting chance of survival and if they do go down then Cardiff are well set up to challenge to come straight back.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 16, 2019, 08:43:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Colin may well be a w*nker but his transfer dealings at a fraction of the cost have put us and TK to shame. They have a fighting chance of survival and if they do go down then Cardiff are well set up to challenge to come straight back.

We'll have to hope Sala doesn't sign because I don't see Niasse keeping them up.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 16, 2019, 05:53:07 PM

I'd argue Seri, Anguissa, Mawson and Bryan without hindsight, would of been considered on the up.

I agree with exception of Seri. He had a worse season last than the one before and that's the only reason we signed him.

Statto

There is a difference between being over 28 and being a mercenary.

Schurrle for example was only 27 when we signed him, but his best years were way behind him, he had no connection to anyone at the club, puts in very little effort and just generally gives the impression he wanted another payday for himself and a chance for his mrs to ponce around somewhere trendy for a year. The lucky girl now gets to post some great pics of Harrods and Buck House to her Insta followers. When he leaves us I'd bet a pound to a penny he goes somewhere like the US league (New York or LA, obviously) or Dubai.

For contrast look at Hangeland, signed at the same age but came here because he knew the manager and wanted to test himself at a higher level than he'd ever played before. He came with humility, ambition and desire.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2019, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: Riversider on January 16, 2019, 02:12:22 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 16, 2019, 12:57:09 PM
Bournemouth splashing out again £12 mill on Chris Mepham from Brentford.

Is that the same Chris Mepham from Brentford that apparently isn't good enough for us according to some on here ?
Maybe we should avoid Ollie Watkins and Rico Henry as well just to be safe, and stick to either the Turkish league or the French second division . 😦😬

Bournemouth have clearly got professional football people working for them, who know what they are doing, and recognise their needs, and of course a very good manager.
Which is something Fulham lack in abundance.

But as it keeps getting thrust down our throats he does not have premiership experience, so he would be useless here.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't