watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Yesteryear

Started by bog, January 20, 2019, 01:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Was anyone else there back in the '60's when we beat Spuds 4-1 and Johnny Key scored two?  049:gif

092.gif

Fernhurst

Now those were the days Captain when you left The Cottage with joy in your heart and a warm contentment for the rest of the week.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Especially after that result Fernhurst Feb 13th 1965.....!  :022:

092.gif

ron

I was there. Do you remember Dave Mackay being bundled off the grass and on to the ash running track....finishing up with a half his blue shirt stained orange....?  That was some feat being able to bundle Mackay over !

bog

Yes Ron, and also when Peter Baker punched the ball from under the cross bar and to away with it!

092.gif

ron

Quote from: bog on January 20, 2019, 04:52:09 PM
Yes Ron, and also when Peter Baker punched the ball from under the cross bar and to away with it!

092.gif

How come we can remember these events  from well over 50 years ago....and I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday?

let's hope today's game will be as memorable in January 2069........ 082.gif

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Yes bog.
I have said on here previously that in the post match interview Danny Blanchflower said that 'it was always better to have two goalies than one'.

Tonywa

Quote from: bog on January 20, 2019, 01:13:24 PM
Was anyone else there back in the '60's when we beat Spuds 4-1 and Johnny Key scored two?  049:gif

092.gif

Particularly remember the one when he cut in from the right wing and hit a twenty-five yard screamer with his left foot.  Great goal. 

georgiajohn

Cornishnick

aah! all this nostalgia. Yup what a great time that was. Makes me think though; we get so caught up with each match just now, it sometimes needs a longer view of what supporting our boys is all about. You learn to savour those wonderful wins against the odds. I find those wins so wonderful I live off them for weeks. Like many of you, I've got 50+ years of support under my belt (space for rude comment here  :005:) and to be honest, we've spent more time worrying about our survival than our prospects at the top of the tables. I just need to remind myself of those days tramping round some dire grounds in the 3rd and 4th division days. Belle Vue Doncaster, Millmoor Rotherham, Oakwell Barnsley, York, Scunthorpe etc etc.

So cheer up folks, the turning point is just around the corner. It may take us into Championship Street but we'll keep supporting our super whites whatever league we're in - won't we?  We aint gonna desert our boys now, in any case, who the heck else would you support?

Keep the faith everyone.

ron

Someday we Old Sods will get together over a pint and bore everyone in earshot to death!

bog

Us old sods have some great memories. I also recall Dave Mackay, at the Putney End, being beaten for pace and grabbing our forward around the waste to bring him down. I cannot recall our player, was it Allan Clarke?

Also, so hard to believe that Mackay was the same height as Jimmy Greaves. 

092.gif