watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22.10.10)

Started by White Noise, October 21, 2010, 10:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2010/10/21/2176885/ugandan-player-saddam-juma-on-trial-at-fulham

Ugandan Player Saddam Juma On Trial At Fulham

This is the second time the player attends trials at the club

By M. J. Somoni

Bunamwaya midfielder Ibrahim "Saddam" Juma, left for London on Monday for trials with Premier League side Fulham FC.

According to the New Vision, the Cranes mid-fielder missed the Uganda Super League match between his side and Express FC on Tuesday to attend the trials.

"He is expected to stay with the English side for three months before they make a decision on whether to sign him or not," a Bunamwaya club source said.

It will be the second time that Juma will be having trials with the side, having gone two years ago. However during that time he suffered a knee injury and was told to return home for treatment.

White Noise

http://www.fansfc.com/story/25919.html

Sunderland ready to bid for Gera

04:00 PM 21 October, 2010

Zoltan Gera is a target for Sunderland Football Club.

The Hungarian international is currently plying his trade in London with Fulham, but has been linked with an exit since the departure of Roy Hodgson.

Stoke City and Werder Bremen have been linked with the forward in recent weeks, but Steve Bruce is said to want him at the Stadium of Light.

Gera is in the final year of his contract at Craven Cottage, and he could be sold in January rather than released on a free in the summer.

Bruce feels the 31-year-old could add another dimension to his midfield options, whilst providing more chances to the likes of Darren Bent and Asamoah Gyan.

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1963/2/johnson-set-fulham-return

Johnson set for Fulham return

By Marc Isaacs

Thursday, October 21

Fulham striker Andy Johnson could make his long-awaited return from a knee injury in the Premier League against West Brom on Saturday.

Johnson has been sidelined for the last nine months following knee surgery, but has finally made a full recovery and featured in another reserve game against Southampton last Tuesday.

The prolific forward is desperate to get his career back on track and Fulham midfielder Simon Davies believes he will be like a new signing when he returns to action.

Davies said: "He's looking sharp. He's played a few games behind closed doors, which is important. You can train as much as you want, but you need the matches.

"The manager wants to try to get behind teams and that's AJ's strength - he loves running the channels and, when he's fit, he's as quick as anything.

"So I think it will be perfect for him and he will be another great option to have in attack."

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/45598/Murphy_comments_were_unfair_says_Matteo.aspx

Murphy comments were unfair, says Matteo

Author:  Jonny Abrams

Posted on:21 October 2010 - 16:05

Former Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers defender Dominic Matteo has spoken out against comments made by his former Liverpool teammate Danny Murphy which labelled the Potters and Rovers as being unreasonably physical.

In the wake of the recent spate of nasty challenges in Premier League matches, current Fulham midfielder Murphy indicted Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce – as well as Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy – by saying that they are ultimately responsible for their players' actions.

Speaking exclusively to Sport.co.uk, Matteo stated his belief that teams like Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves must aim to win the physical battles in order to compete with more skilful and more expensively assembled sides.

He said: "I can see why Danny said things like that but I don't think it's fair.

"At the end of the day, if you're Stoke or Blackburn then you haven't got the players that the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal have.

"When it comes down to playing the best teams then they'll have better players than you so you've got to compete and if that's by being physical then you have to do that because you want to get a result as well.

"Particularly when I was at Stoke [under Pulis], they didn't go out to injure players – they just go out to be physical and not be a pushover."

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21102010/63/odemwingie-fitness-race.html

Odemwingie in fitness race

Thu, 21 Oct 16:51:24 2010

West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie has revealed his chances of being fit for Saturday's home Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham are less than 50-50.

The Nigeria international missed Albion's shock 2-2 draw with Manchester United at Old Trafford last weekend with a knee problem.

Odemwingie, who has netted three times this season, is well on the mend but concedes his chances of featuring this weekend are touch and go.

He said: "I am getting better and a little hope is still there for Saturday.

"We will see in the next couple of days if I can train.

"I don't know whether it's as high as 50-50, but there is a chance I could be okay. We have a good medical staff and they will take a decision. If I feel 100% right I will play and, if not, we will decide together."

White Noise

Inside Fulham Podcast

Mark Hughes on "that goal" against Tottenham 20 Oct 2010

Wed, 20 Oct 10

Duration:10 mins

Mark Hughes reacts to that controversial winner for Tottenham at the Cottage, and we hear the manager's views on captain Danny Murphy's comments during the international break. Plus Jonathan Greening talks about his first start of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

Kids games are just the ticket

Published: Today

PREMIER LEAGUE clubs have made their junior sides' matches ALL-TICKET to stop their top young talent being poached.

West Ham and Fulham have taken the step for their Under-9 to Under-14 teams because they are in London where many clubs are in a small area.

Tony Carr, Hammers' director of youth development, said: "We want to make it more difficult for agents and all sorts of other people to entice our players.

"There are predatory clubs out there. No club is whiter-than-white and some will do anything to get the best young players from other clubs.

"No one would want scouts from all the other clubs looking at their prized assets, or speaking to the parents."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3189668/Premier-League-clubs-have-made-their-junior-matches-all-ticket.html#ixzz1320nquSr

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2010/oct/21/english-football-best-second-tier-teams

QPR are good, but where do they rank among the greatest second-tier teams?

There is a heady list of contenders, ranging from Alf Ramsey's Ipswich through to 02-03 Pompey, via Leeds and Liverpool

Comments (109)

Fulham manager Jean Tigana celebrates winning the Nationwide League Division One title with chairman Mohamed Al Fayed in April 2001. Photograph: Steve Bardens/Getty Images Sport

These are heady times for Queen's Park Rangers, the Championship's current early-season hare. A second consecutive goalless draw, the latest against Swansea City on Tuesday night, might have stilled their boisterous momentum; but if Neil Warnock's team can avoid defeat at Bristol City on Friday night they will have equalled a club record of 13 matches unbeaten from the start of the season.

The larger picture is even more feverishly hopeful. Lakshmi Mittal, the world's fifth richest man, owns 20% of the club. With the likelihood of money to spend in January should they remain in the running for promotion to the Premier League, there has even been some cautious talk about Rangers finding themselves transformed before long into one of the strongest teams to have emerged at this level for some time.

This may be a little premature. Against Norwich on Saturday, Rangers looked solid and sprightly rather than captivating, lacking in the excess of attacking options that marks out the best teams. Warnock still sounds a little nonplussed by the efforts of his main centre forward, Heidar Helguson. And while much has been made of Adel Taarabt's subtle talents, the Moroccan seems often to decorate games rather than dominating. Rangers may – technically - be the richest club in the history of English football's second tier. But they are still some way short, as yet, of registering as one of the best at this level.

There is a heady list of contenders for that particular title. Any attempt to identify the greatest second-tier teams is fraught with handicaps, requiring as it does a comparison between disparate eras and also an awareness of the temporary nature of these things: success can often lead to the dismantling, or at least, derailing of even the finest promoted team. A flush of second-tier success can often be tarnished by travails at the higher level. But it is still worth celebrating in its own right.

In recent times the Portsmouth team of 2002-03 stands out. Inspired by an Indian summering Paul Merson, Harry Redknapp's team went top of the table in the autumn and stayed there for the rest of the season. Two years earlier Fulham, in the first flowering of their brief Manchester-United-of-The-South period had topped 100 points by the end of the season, with Louis Saha scoring 27 times.

Kevin Keegan's title-winning team of 1992-93 is worth a mention, as is, from a personnel point of view, the promotion-winning Newcastle United of 1983-84, who could field Chris Waddle, Peter Beardsley and Keegan himself, soon to depart his playing career via post-match helicopter.

Howard Wilkinson's Leeds United demand consideration by their achievements alone: champions of the second tier in 1990, Leeds won the last Football League top tier title two years later with pretty much the same group of players. The 1981 West Ham United champion team was a delight: Billy Bonds, Alan Devonshire, Paul Goddard and Trevor Brooking had also played a part in winning the FA Cup from the second division the previous year.

Beyond that, things become a little fuzzed by the passing of time. There are those who will be able to make a case for Bill Shankly's Liverpool or Don Revie's Leeds, both of whom topped the second tier in the early 1960s.

My own preference, based solely on their enduring legend, would be for Alf Ramsey's Ipswich Town, champions of the Second Division in 1961 and then champions of the top tier a season later fielding an almost identical team. Under Ramsey, Ipswich came pretty much from nowhere, propelled by the benevolent chairmanship of the eccentric John Cobbold and inspired by Ramsey's innovative tactics that involved deploying the one-paced, one-footed but sublimely talented inside forward Jimmy Leadbetter in an unusual roving attacking role.

There are, no doubt, many unforgivable omissions in this list. The only thing that seems certain is that – club records and sub-continental fortunes aside – the current QPR team has some illustrious forbears to live up to in its pursuit, not just of promotion, but of extreme second-tier excellence.

alfie

Quote from: White Noise on October 21, 2010, 10:24:13 PM

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/45598/Murphy_comments_were_unfair_says_Matteo.aspx

Murphy comments were unfair, says Matteo

Author:  Jonny Abrams

Posted on:21 October 2010 - 16:05

Former Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers defender Dominic Matteo has spoken out against comments made by his former Liverpool teammate Danny Murphy which labelled the Potters and Rovers as being unreasonably physical.

In the wake of the recent spate of nasty challenges in Premier League matches, current Fulham midfielder Murphy indicted Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce – as well as Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy – by saying that they are ultimately responsible for their players' actions.

Speaking exclusively to Sport.co.uk, Matteo stated his belief that teams like Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves must aim to win the physical battles in order to compete with more skilful and more expensively assembled sides.

He said: "I can see why Danny said things like that but I don't think it's fair.

"At the end of the day, if you're Stoke or Blackburn then you haven't got the players that the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal have.

"When it comes down to playing the best teams then they'll have better players than you so you've got to compete and if that's by being physical then you have to do that because you want to get a result as well.

"Particularly when I was at Stoke [under Pulis], they didn't go out to injure players – they just go out to be physical and not be a pushover."

Then why don't they do what Arsenal do, go and find young kids and coach them in the art of football, although in saying that they probably don't know how to coach football.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

White Noise

Jonathan Greening fires warning to Fulham team-mate Dickson Etuhu

Oct 22 2010

By Jacob Murtagh

JONATHAN Greening has warned Dickson Etuhu he faces a fight for his central midfield slot.

The 31-year-old made his first start since his permanent switch to Craven Cottage in the summer in Saturday's defeat by Spurs.

With Etuhu facing at least another fortnight on the sidelines with ankle ligament damage, Greening is set to continue in the engine room for tomorrow's trip to West Brom and the home clash with Wigan seven days later.

And he plans to grab his chance with both hands as he looks to cement a place in Mark Hughes's starting XI.

He said: "It's been frustrating not playing, but the lads have done really well and hadn't lost all season.

"Dickson's still out, so hopefully I can get a few games in, do well and keep my place.

"I had a good run of games last year and then I got dropped, which I thought was a bit harsh at the time, and then didn't get my place back for the rest of the season."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/22/jonathan-greening-fires-warning-to-fulham-team-mate-dickson-etuhu-82029-27520676/#ixzz1349jsjrZ

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/10/21/1766548/clint-dempsey-interview-friday-on-world-football-daily

Clint Dempsey Interview Friday On World Football Daily

by Russ Goldman on Oct 21, 2010 11:21 PM BST

I wanted to mention that Fulham and USMNT player Clint Dempsey will be interviewed Friday on World Football Daily. He is scheduled to be on this radio show at 5:30 PM UK Time, and that is 12:30 PM EST here in the United States. 

World Football Daily is hosted by Steven Cohen and Kenny Hassan. This show is a subscription based service and they have payment options available if you are interested. Please feel free to check out their website.

http://www.worldfootballdaily.com/

I am looking for ward to hearing what the Fulham midfielder has to say.   

White Noise

http://www.westbromwichalbion-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_west_bromwich_albion_v_fulham_23_oct_2010_571207/index.shtml

FM Preview: West Bromwich Albion v Fulham 23 Oct 2010  

By Footymad Friday, 22nd October 2010

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between West Bromwich Albion and Fulham at 15:00 on Saturday, 23rd October 2010 in the Premier League.

History of the West Bromwich Albion v Fulham fixture

West Brom. are ready to welcome Fulham to The Hawthorns on Saturday afternoon, looking to continue an impressive record. The The Baggies are clearly on top, having won 21 and lost only 9 of the 38 games.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at The Hawthorns was within the last three years, in October 2008, the The Baggies carving out a narrow 1-0 victory in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
2008/2009 Sun 22 Feb Fulham 2 - 0 West Brom. PREM
2008/2009 Sat 04 Oct West Brom. 1-0 Fulham PREM
2005/2006 Sat 11 Feb Fulham 6 - 1 West Brom. PREM
2005/2006 Sat 03 Dec West Brom. 0 - 0 Fulham PREM
2005/2006 Tue 25 Oct Fulham 2 - 3 West Brom. LGEC
2004/2005 Sun 16 Jan Fulham 1 - 0 West Brom. PREM
2004/2005 Sat 18 Sep West Brom. 1 - 1 Fulham PREM

Recent respective form guides

West Bromwich Albion are unbeaten in their last six home games, but have drawn three of them. A total of 9 goals have been scored by the The Baggies in those games, with 5 conceded.

The away form of Fulham is pretty dire, collecting just 4 draws from the last six contests. While the Cottagers have hit 4 goals, 10 have hit the back of the wrong net.

West Brom.'s total of 12 points from their 8 games sees them sitting in the playoff places in Barclays Premier League. Fulham see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 9 points from their 8 games played so far,

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
West Brom. 6 3 3 0 12 8 12
Fulham 6 1 3 2 5 7 6

FootyMad's prediction ...

The match against Fulham is certainly an interesting one with me deciding its going to end up with a victory for the The Baggies in a close run game. Home Win

Sequence statistics:
West Brom. Unbeaten in the last 13 home games.
Drawn each of their last 2 games.
Not won in the 2 most recent games.

Fulham Not won in previous 10 away matches.
No win in the 5 most recent games.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943512/West-Bromwich-Albion-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

West Bromwich Albion v Fulham: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between West Bromwich Albion and Fulham on Saturday Oct 23, 2010, kick-off 15:00 BST.

PREVIEW

WEST BROMVFULHAM Saturday, October 23 15:00
Premier League
The Hawthorns
Published: 6:00AM BST 22 Oct 2010

Saturday, October 23

West Bromwich Albion v Fulham
The Hawthorns
Kick-off: 15.00 BST
TV: Highlights, BBC Match of the Day.

WBA (Possible, 4-5-1): Carson; Jara, Tamas, Olsson, Shorey; Brunt, Scharner, Mulumbu; Tchoyi, Morrison, Brunt; Odemwingie.
Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido; Davies, Greening, Gera, Duff; Dempsey; Kamara.
Referee: Kevin Friend. Matches: 2. R1. Y9.

Tale of the game

Diomansy Kamara could face Albion, for Fulham, for the first time since he left the Hawthorns, but Fulham arrive in the West Midlands without a victory in their last 22 away games in the Premier League.

Albion are unbeaten in their last five League games, their best ever run without loss in the Premier League and best overall in the top flight since October 1983.

And Fulham arrive having yet to win away in the League and a total of 22 games without a victory away from Craven Cottage.

Danny Murphy, the Fulham captain, is missing after damaging a groin muscle in the 2-1 home defeat by Spurs, while Moussa Dembele is also absent, having injured his thigh in the same game. Bobby Zamora (broken leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles) remain on the treatment table.

Damien Duff and Dickson Etuhu, who were missing last week, could both be available at the Hawthorns while Andrew Johnson is close to a return and manager Mark Hughes could be tempted to recall the striker.

Albion are without Marek Cech (broken foot), Joe Mattock (thigh) and Ishmael miller (thigh) and test Peter Odemwingie, who missed the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford with a knee problem.

Last season: N/A.

Stat of the game: Albion have gone 40 games since they were last involved in a 0-0 draw.

Betting tip: Everything points to a home win, at 23-20

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/10/murphy-the-human-pinata/

Murphy – The Human Pinata

by gatesy on October 21, 2010

I have long since ceased to be amazed by two things in life- a) the capacity of women to twist your words to make you sound like a tool and b) how rubbish football pundits are. Considered, at least by their employers, as experts in their field they seem to have built carers on the ability to say little of note and at that often be wrong too.

One of the most regularly wrong is Mark Lawrenson. Now, you can accuse Lawro of being many things (lacing his punditry with double en tenders, not being very interesting, failed football manager, not really very Irish yet holder of so many caps), but one thing you can't say about him is that he isn't loyal. Somewhat misplaced loyalty too it would seem. One of the highlights of my week (yeah, I know...) is looking over his predictions for the weekends games. Two things never fail to amuse me with them, first being that he always seems to foresee doom heading our way and the other being a Liverpool victory. If we all lived in Lawros world (and isn't that the dream?) we'd be in all kinds of trouble position wise, with Liverpool living the high life in a Champions League place. Meanwhile the Baggies are all set to pick up their first win of the season, with Blackpool taking the other relegation spot. Nice work Lawro.

TEAM PLAYED W D L FOR AGAINST GD POINTS
chelsea 9 7 2 0 20 3 17 23
man utd 9 7 2 0 16 3 13 23
liverpool 9 5 4 0 14 4 10 19
arsenal 9 5 3 1 16 7 9 18
Tottenham 9 4 4 1 14 7 7 16
man city 9 3 5 1 12 8 4 14
everton 9 3 5 1 12 9 3 14
west ham 9 4 1 4 9 12 -3 13
birmingham 9 4 1 4 9 12 -3 13
Sunderland 9 3 3 3 10 10 0 12
stoke city 9 2 4 3 11 12 -1 10
Newcastle 9 3 1 5 12 16 -4 10
bolton 9 3 1 5 9 14 -5 10
aston villa 9 3 1 5 6 12 -6 10
Wigan 9 3 0 6 9 16 -7 9
Blackburn 9 2 2 5 9 14 -5 8
wolves 9 2 1 6 8 12 -4 7
wba 9 1 4 4 6 14 -8 7
Fulham 9 1 2 6 8 15 -7 5
Blackpool 9 1 2 6 8 18 -10 5

But with insights like;

"I don't know how many internationals were playing from both sides over the last week – depending on how many and who may affect the teams' performances."

I think we can forgive him.

But then again, why should the summarisers, commentators and pundits put their head over the parapet and say anything vaguely interesting or correct? A prime example has been our Danny of recent weeks, where he has become something of a marked man by current, As well as failed former, managers.

Gerry Francis: "Danny was out of order", Owen Coyle: "I might be wrong but I'd imagine he'll probably regret some of it. To mention any club or individual was very wrong" and, my favourite Sam Allardyce: "Apologise? If he's man enough, that's what he should do" Though to be honest, anybody who talks about themselves in the third person as well as Big Sam does can't be all wrong:

"Danny Murphy doesn't know about Sam Allardyce because he's never been managed by Sam Allardyce or coached by Sam Allardyce"

Though if you actually read what Danny said, he never once called any of their sides dirty.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more – the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves. They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems...

"I don't believe players are going out to break another player's leg but there has to be some logic and intelligence involved. If you are going at someone at a certain pace and you don't get it right you are going to hurt them."

A bit over sensitive perhaps?

Another case in point was that it was widely reported that the BBC lost the rights ot England home games and the FA Cup due to the fact that during their coverage of England games they'd given far from glowing reports on their standard. How dare they do such a thing? So the FA picked up their ball and took it over to ITV to subject us to bland, trite and inferior coverage. And Adrian Chiles.

So perhaps the reason Andy Townsend had his Tactic Truck repossessed wasn't because he is unable to analyse a game properly. Perhaps Garth Crooks does have more punditry skills in his locker other than solely being pro-Spuds all the time. Perhaps Scott Minto is actually not boring in real life. But the reason they aren't is because they know as soon as they do say something interesting or close to the bone they'll have the whole of the LMA body wanting to give them all a kicking?

And for the record, this week Lawro has predicted this for our boys:

West Brom v Fulham

West Brom are not far from Blackpool in terms of being the side who have surprised the most people since winning promotion. They have been up and down from the Premier League a few times in the last few years but this is the best side they have had in the top flight for a long time.

The Baggies will be full of confidence after their draw at Old Trafford last weekend, even if that was quite fortuitous because of Edwin van der Sar's howler.

Fulham's defeat by Spurs was their first of the season but, with their injuries, you can understand why they are so short of goals. I cannot see them getting anything at The Hawthorns.

Prediction: 2-0

White Noise

How Gallas activity exposed this offside rule as nonsense

By Robbie Savage

Published 22:57 21/10/10

Okay, the camera angles showed William Gallas was not blocking Mark Schwarzer's line of sight when Tom Huddlestone scored against Fulham.

But Gallas surely made himself active by attempting to swing at the ball as it came past. He even wheeled away afterwards, trying to claim it!

The truth is, none of us really understand this rule - or why we continually try to overcomplicate football with daft laws.

Let's just go back to the old way and have done with it.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/robbie-savage/Robbie-Savage-column-Tottenham-s-Williams-Gallas-has-exposed-offside-rule-as-nonsense-Arsenal-s-Arsene-Wenger-shows-double-standards-over-Wilshire-article609385.html#ixzz134CHWZ

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6460342,00.html?

Speroni seeks Prem switch
Keeper could move on, but Danns is expected to stay

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish is prepared to listen to offers for highly-rated keeper Julian Speroni.

The Argentine shot-stopper has set his heart on securing a move to the Premier League, having missed out on a deadline day switch to Fulham.
Parish appreciates that Speroni has ambitions to play at the highest level and will not stand in his way if an acceptable bid is lodged.

Palace are, however, confident that the future of midfielder Neil Danns will be resolved shortly, with new deals put to him and Speroni.

"We've offered both Neil and Julian improved contracts and as it stands they are considering them," Parish told the Croydon Advertiser.

"We believe they are both excellent offers and we would like both players to accept. I think it's fair to say that there is still some distance between us and Julian, but with Neil Danns I think he will sign.

"We've offered Neil a very, very good contract. For him though I think it is more to do with his family situation.

"His partner is expecting a baby in January and I think it's more about where he wants to live. Neil feels the contract we've offered is a good one and he's very respectful of that. So we are optimistic he'll accept."

Impossible

On Speroni's future, Parish added: "Julian Speroni is a great keeper, a really nice man and the fans love him.

"But he's at a stage of his career where he wants to play Premier League football. He missed out on that chance when we were last in the top flight because Gabor Kiraly kept him out of the team.

"We had a bid from Fulham but it was three hours before the window shut and that gave us no time to find ourselves another keeper. At that time we were so busy trying to get other players in that it was just impossible to accept.

"Fulham knew about their situation for a long time and could have made their move far earlier but they didn't. It just couldn't work that late.

"We've spoken to Julian about it and we've agreed that if another Premier League team come in we will consider the offer and talk to him about it - as we would with any other offer that comes in.

"But there is very little point pontificating about who might go where and when. Until a firm offer comes in nothing will happen."

Parish has also warned any potential suitors of Palace's crop of talented youngsters, including Wilfried Zaha and Nathaniel Clyne, that they would be wasting their time making an approach in January.

He said: "We are in a strong position. They both have 18 months or more to run on their present deals. They know the best place for them to develop is Crystal Palace. None of our youngsters are going anywhere."

WhiteJC

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2010/10/22/home-is-where-the-heart-is-for-albion/?

Home is where the heart is for Albion

Albion blogger Jarrod Hill is glad to be back at the fortress Hawthorns where the Baggies are unbeaten this season ahead of the visit of Fulham.

After another memorable away game at Manchester United last week, it's good to be home.

Fulham represent a team that are typical of this season's Premier League opposition, ordinary one week and fantastic the next.

Barring Chelsea, every team has been in unpredictable form and we are the perfect example of what has been an unusual start to the Premier League.

Not many people would have predicted Liverpool would be in the bottom three at this stage, or that the super Baggies would be sixth having gained four points away at Arsenal and Manchester United.

It is the unpredictability of this league that has been the talking point in many a bar around the country and I hope our team can keep surprising the opposition.

But tomorrow's game represents a tricky challenge, Fulham are an established Premier League club with a team that narrowly lost in the Europa Cup final last season.

There is also the small matter of Messrs' Gera, Greening and Kamara to throw into the mix.

I have no gripe with any of the returning trio and have fond memories of each one of them in an Albion shirt, not least because all three managed to hit the back of the net when we played 'them down the road.'

Before a ball had been kicked this season, I would have had tomorrow's game marked down as a good chance to get three points and I still do but, more importantly, I see it as a game we can't afford to lose.

We always knew that our home form would go a very long way in forming what type of season we will have and the longer we remain unbeaten at the Hawthorns the better.

The lads must be full of confidence after recent results and that's just what we want as we head into a run of important fixtures.

Having gathered points during what looked on paper as a difficult start to the season, we now have an opportunity to push on during the heavy fixture list of November and December that is full of 'winnable games.'

The thought of reaching Christmas on a good footing and healthy points tally excites me, not just for the obvious reason of accumulating enough points for Premier League survival, but also for the January transfer window.

The better we look by the turn of the year, the easier it will be to recruit the players required for our second half of the season push.

Transfer windows are always a bit like a Friday night singles bar, the better you look the easier it is to pull.

I don't want to look too far ahead, but I guess our head coach Roberto Di Matteo will already have a shopping list ready for sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth.

Anyway back to tomorrow's game, Peter Odemwingie is still struggling to be fit so I wouldn't be surprised to see an unchanged starting line-up.

Marc-Antoine Fortune deputised for our Nigerian star at Old Trafford and, if he plays tomorrow, I fancy him to score.

Now I admit I am not in the same league as Pete 'Hilltop Baggie' Danckert when it comes to predictions, but I would back him to get a goal and I just can't explain why.

But, regardless of who scores the goals, I just hope that we can get a result.

With a full house expected, me, you and every other Albion fan can certainly play our part on ensuring we remain unbeaten at the Hawthorns.

Up the Baggies!

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2010/10/22/home-is-where-the-heart-is-for-albion/?#ixzz134zoWtPd

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/10/west-bromwich-albion-v-fulham-can-fulham-burst-the-baggies-bubble.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29

West Bromwich Albion v Fulham: Can Fulham burst the Baggies' bubble?

Roberto Di Matteo's Baggies are fast becoming the team to watch in the top flight. Their style of play is easy on the eye, their approach to playing the big teams can only be commended and they are getting the results they deserve. Sure they have to give Manchester United keeper Edwin Van der Sar a big hand for last weekend's draw at Old Trafford but how many teams have you seen come back from two down at the Theatre of Dreams?

This weekend they welcome Mark Hughes's Fulham to the Hawthorns, who controversially lost their unbeaten league record last Saturday against Tottenham. The Cottagers are playing well but just can't seem to find that killer instinct to see teams off. They've drawn six of their opening eight league games. If they had won half of them they would be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester United. As it is they currently sit just two points off the drop zone.

Games between West Brom and Fulham in the Midlands tend to be tight affairs. One goal has been enough to decide matters in two of the past four meetings but Fulham haven't won here in the league for almost a decade.

A Fulham win would see them climb above the Baggies on goal difference. A West Brom win could see them climb to third.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/match/46075/west-bromwich-vs-fulham/preview

Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion - Fulham

Cottagers To Curb Baggies' Bravado

West Brom's flying start to the season kicked up another gear last weekend with the stunning come-from-behind draw at Old Trafford.

Following on from the win away to Arsenal, Di Matteo's side look perfectly suited to the Premier League. Hughes must now travel to the Hawthorns and try to take the wind out of their sails after the disappointment of the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham that left a bad taste in the mouth.

A win for the Cottagers would see them draw level with Saturday's hosts on 12 points and propel them away from mid-table. The chance to join West Brom in an unlikely Europa League qualification spot even this early in the season would see the managerial duo's stock rise even further.

Too Close To Call

The previous meetings between the two teams has seen neither claim a regular spot in supremacy.

Victories have been traded between them, with the 2008-09 season - the last time West Bromwich Albion were in the top flight - seeing the hosts claim all three points each time.

Hughes will have his fingers crossed, however, that a repeat of the 6-1 thrashing nearly four years ago could be on the cards.

TEAM NEWS

West Bromwich Albion

Last weekend's unbelievable 2-2 draw with Manchester United contained just one negative with the calf strain picked up by Jerome Thomas.

The winger damaged the muscle despite being a late substitute in the contest that was all the more remarkable considering top scorer Peter Odemwingie's absence. However, the Nigeria international looks set to be ready for first team action against Fulham.

Marek Cech is the only other absentee manager Roberto Di Matteo's has to consider when he chooses his 18-man selection.

Probable starting XI: Carson; Jara, Olsson, Tamas, Shorey; Morrison, Tchoyi, Mulumbu, Scharner, Brunt; Odemwingie.

Fulham

Manager Mark Hughes is counting the cost of last weekend's defeat to Tottenham after Danny Murphy and Moussa Dembele both picked up injuries and are out until November.

Both were removed early as the side slumped to a 2-1 loss. Dembele's knock has been compensated by the possible return of Andy Johnson, who is an outside shot for a place on the substitute's bench after nine months out following knee surgery.

In net, David Stockdale is fit again after being sidelined since September. While Mark Schwarzer is expected to remain No.1, the Rochdale-born player's presence will increase competition.

Both Bobby Zamora and Philippe Senderos remain months away from pulling on the Fulham jersey again.

Probable starting XI: Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Davies, Etuhu, Greening, Gera; Dempsey; Kamara.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/west-bromwich-albion/6460410/West-Brom-v-Fulham-preview?

West Brom v Fulham preview

Team news for Saturday afternoon's Premier League clash between West Brom and Fulham at The Hawthorns.

West Brom's leading scorer Peter Odemwingie is a major doubt.

The four-goal Nigeria international is still struggling to overcome the knee injury suffered against Bolton three weeks ago.

If he is ruled out, Marc-Antoine Fortune is again set to deputise after helping Albion to a 2-2 draw against Manchester United at Old Trafford last weekend.

Winger Jerome Thomas is in contention for a recall to the starting line-up after fully recovering from a calf problem.

Fulham striker Andy Johnson is available for the trip.

The 29-year-old looks set to make his first appearance since January after recovering from shoulder, knee and hip injuries.

The Cottagers are suffering an injury crisis in midfield, though, with Simon Davies (ankle), Danny Murphy (abductor strain), Dickson Etuhu (ankle) and Damien Duff (calf) out.

Jonathan Greening, Chris Baird, Zoltan Gera and Clint Dempsey are likely to form the midfield in their absence.

Albion (from): Carson, Jara, Tamas, Olsson, Shorey, Scharner, Mulumbu, Tchoyi, Morrison, Brunt, Fortune, Thomas, Bednar, Dorrans, Myhill, Cox, Ibanez, Reid, Odemwingie.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Stockdale, Kelly, Pantsil, Salcido, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Halliche, Gera, Riise, E Johnson, A Johnson, Greening, Dikgacoi, Kamara, Dembele.